2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade TP line

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this does not come off the wrong way, but why do we keep getting posts about when will the next TM ____ be released? Especially a new TP release!

Again, this is not to offend anyone and I haven't played the latest TP irons so I wouldn't know, but do they actually need to release new ones? I have always wanted a set of TM TP irons but I'm in the belief that I wouldn't do the irons enough justice because I'm just not there yet but if they aren't broken, why fix them? Unless of course there are problems with them!

Just curious why I keep reading posts about people wanting more and more new TM releases, other than the lack of the checkered flag logo.

[quote name='OCdog' timestamp='1409067230' post='10011009']
I have the 2014 tour preferred cb irons and think they look pretty awesome, which is on par with their performance. Probably another year before they revamp and re market the tp iron line
[/quote]

I also love the looks of those! Then again I also loved the looks of the previous model. I just don't see a need for a change, yet.

I'm not sure why people that aren't going to answer the OP's questions have to post anything at all. If you don't want to hear these questions, don't join in the conversation or even bother with this post.

TaylorMade did a great job with this year Tour Preferred line. I don't believe we will see anything for a bit, but I hope I'm wrong. I do enjoy the TP Badge that they used to have on their clubs, but I've heard a few people say that TM has spoken out they won't be using it for a while. I don't know how long a "while" is, but I would like to see it as well!

TP line is generally on a 2 year cycle. The latest TP line literally came out less than 12 months ago. In my opinion, there won't be any hype for a launch until this time next year for a new TP line. Their current line, as well as the last 3 lines of TP irons have been outstanding in my experience. If it continues to take them 2 years to release the new TP line, it won't bother me as long as they continue to meet the TP expectations.

In regards to the TP logo, it was a pretty heated / wanted topic when the first buzz of the new TP line was released this year. A lot of people want them, a lot of people could care less, and then there are those few who hate everything TM and bash just to bash (see a few posts above). Its a cool logo, but I also like the TOUR PREFERRED spelled out.

What I would like them to start doing again is releasing their true TP clubs. Not just a normal head with a real shaft. Used to, the TP head was smaller and considered to have more Tour like differences from the stock head. Now they just release everything as a different club. (SLDR, SLDR 430, R1, R1 V2, V3, V4, etc.)

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1409067095' post='10010989']
I hope this does not come off the wrong way, but why do we keep getting posts about when will the next TM ____ be released? Especially a new TP release!

Again, this is not to offend anyone and I haven't played the latest TP irons so I wouldn't know, but do they actually need to release new ones? I have always wanted a set of TM TP irons but I'm in the belief that I wouldn't do the irons enough justice because I'm just not there yet but if they aren't broken, why fix them? Unless of course there are problems with them!

Just curious why I keep reading posts about people wanting more and more new TM releases, other than the lack of the checkered flag logo.
[/quote]

Maybe TM wants more air time, so they have someone post online. Good way to create online social media synergy going. I see no problem with it; then again, I am comfortable with the clubs that, by your own admission, you are not. That's how we hear about new products. That said, TP line seldom gets much publicity, and rightfully so.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409079927' post='10012551']

[/quote]

Maybe TM wants more air time, so they have someone post online. Good way to create online social media synergy going. I see no problem with it; then again, I am comfortable with the clubs that, by your own admission, you are not. That's how we hear about new products. That said, TP line seldom gets much publicity, and rightfully so.
[/quote]

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see company employees posting online to stir up interest in the company as well as to gauge interest in particular products. Great point! However, I don't think that is the case with the majority of these types of posts. I totally understand wanting newer and better releases especially when we get so used to them releasing new clubs every couple of months but it doesn't seem necessary if the current product isn't defected or inferior to it's competitors. With TM releasing a new driver pretty much every season and them being fairly successful in doing so, I can fully understand why the following season people will be waiting in lines for the next best release.It's like the iphone release every year, which I'm usually involved in.

In this case, the TP irons were released this season and are still new, they're just missing the racing TP logo. I would not be in favor of releasing a new line a year early just to stamp the logo on the clubs. That being said, I never said I wasn't comfortable with the TP irons. I choose not to play them because I prefer the forgiveness of the speedblades, which has little to do with whether or not TM will or won't be releasing a new TP line with the logo on them.

Back to the OP, since I didn't actually state it in my first post, I actually do like the TP logo. There's a ton of people on here who hate it as well as love it. Last season I didn't want to give up my TP wedges just because they had the logos on them even though they needed to be retired. Seems the overall consensus is that they release the line every 2 years so we've got another year to wait and see if they come out with the logo.

If the TM employees are reading and posting on here as often as some may suspect then perhaps they will see these posts and incorporate the logo again!

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1409083805' post='10013027']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see company employees posting online to stir up interest in the company as well as to gauge interest in particular products. Great point! However, I don't think that is the case with the majority of these types of posts. I totally understand wanting newer and better releases especially when we get so used to them releasing new clubs every couple of months but it doesn't seem necessary if the current product isn't defected or inferior to it's competitors. With TM releasing a new driver pretty much every season and them being fairly successful in doing so, I can fully understand why the following season people will be waiting in lines for the next best release.It's like the iphone release every year, which I'm usually involved in.

In this case, the TP irons were released this season and are still new, they're just missing the racing TP logo. I would not be in favor of releasing a new line a year early just to stamp the logo on the clubs. That being said, I never said I wasn't comfortable with the TP irons. I choose not to play them because I prefer the forgiveness of the speedblades, which has little to do with whether or not TM will or won't be releasing a new TP line with the logo on them.

Back to the OP, since I didn't actually state it in my first post, I actually do like the TP logo. There's a ton of people on here who hate it as well as love it. Last season I didn't want to give up my TP wedges just because they had the logos on them even though they needed to be retired. Seems the overall consensus is that they release the line every 2 years so we've got another year to wait and see if they come out with the logo.

If the TM employees are reading and posting on here as often as some may suspect then perhaps they will see these posts and incorporate the logo again!
[/quote]

I agree. Keep in mind though, most OEM new club introductions are often minor cosmetics. Technology has evolved to such a degree, OEM's are struggling to annually improve technology. One technological improvement influences another, and so on. Where as changing how a club 'looks', maybe a few minor design improvements, is easier than introducing a completely new, technologically improved, club design. Because of that, they must keep synergy alive, least till the next new and improved. My 2cents.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409084815' post='10013169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree. Keep in mind though, most OEM new club introductions are often minor cosmetics. Technology has evolved to such a degree, OEM's are struggling to annually improve technology. One technological improvement influences another, and so on. Where as changing how a club 'looks', maybe a few minor design improvements, is easier than introducing a completely new, technologically improved, club design. Because of that, they must keep synergy alive, least that's my view.
[/quote]

A perfect example of that is when TM releases last years model but this time in a different color, like the R1 and SLDR. I agree completely that technology in clubs can only improve so much from year to year that most of the time they're just selling repackaged goods with a new sticker and packaging. It's the same across almost all aspects of business. New computers, cars, classroom textbooks, and the majority of sporting goods. They're all the same and they all sort of prove both of our points of view. I agree with yours completely, there is no denying that, my point was simply that releasing these products too quickly isn't productive. Like releasing a new TP line with a fresh look so soon after the current TP model isn't going to win over as many fans as those who feel left out because they no longer have the current model.

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1409085339' post='10013233']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409084815' post='10013169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree. Keep in mind though, most OEM new club introductions are often minor cosmetics. Technology has evolved to such a degree, OEM's are struggling to annually improve technology. One technological improvement influences another, and so on. Where as changing how a club 'looks', maybe a few minor design improvements, is easier than introducing a completely new, technologically improved, club design. Because of that, they must keep synergy alive, least that's my view.
[/quote]

A perfect example of that is when TM releases last years model but this time in a different color, like the R1 and SLDR. I agree completely that technology in clubs can only improve so much from year to year that most of the time they're just selling repackaged goods with a new sticker and packaging. It's the same across almost all aspects of business. New computers, cars, classroom textbooks, and the majority of sporting goods. They're all the same and they all sort of prove both of our points of view. I agree with yours completely, there is no denying that, my point was simply that releasing these products too quickly isn't productive. Like releasing a new TP line with a fresh look so soon after the current TP model isn't going to win over as many fans as those who feel left out because they no longer have the current model.
[/quote]

You are correct, early release might not win new fans and could have volume consequences. However, feeding the animals is very important. it can easily tweak the buying habits of club ho's that want the latest and greatest, regardless. Something tells me, there are way more of them than there are buyers like me... given I have been playing the same irons since "06". :)

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

And did anyone notice one of the new threads posted today? A thread about the TP badge on the irons! With so many fans of the racing badge it seriously would not surprise me to see TM release the TP 2.0 line with the badge included, but "2.0" wouldn't be eye catching enough so they'd come up with a fanc-ier name for it I'm sure. lol

[quote name='gmangolf' timestamp='1409070975' post='10011465']
The last TP line was on a 2 year cycle. I was rooting for the tp badge but it never made it past the prototypes.
[/quote]

Not to go off topic but was there was a thread on stolen protos with bage, were they ever recovered?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1409236453' post='10024577']
The last TP line was on a 2 year cycle. I was rooting for the tp badge but it never made it past the prototypes.
[/quote]

Not to go off topic but was there was a thread on stolen protos with bage, were they ever recovered?

Wk
[/quote]
Yes, they belonged to a friend of mine, and never got them back ....

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1409239232' post='10024921'][quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1409236453' post='10024577']
[/quote]

Wk
[/quote]
Yes, they belonged to a friend of mine, and never got them back ....[/quote]

That sucks!

[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1409229609' post='10023883']
How many people with the current TP irons would buy a new set if it had the logo? Let's make it easier for everyone.
[/quote]

Nope. I like mine a lot. I like the flag logo but it's not a make or break for me. The current tp line looks pretty sweet to me.

[quote name='ohcanada17' timestamp='1409071460' post='10011513']
I hope that people stop asking for the TP logo to be on the next run of TM clubs... Want the logo, go buy a 'vette
[/quote]

Oh boy do I have a simple solution: If TMAG puts the logo on the next run, people will stop asking for it! Problem solved!

Also, TP does not equal "Tour Preferred" anymore I don't think. TMAG markets things as "TP" when they have the logo. Riught now the only thing with the logo is the TP shafts. Tour Preferred is the "watered down", clunky, ugly step-sister of the glory that was "TP"!

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1409244911' post='10025515']
I hope that people stop asking for the TP logo to be on the next run of TM clubs... Want the logo, go buy a 'vette
[/quote]

Oh boy do I have a simple solution: If TMAG puts the logo on the next run, people will stop asking for it! Problem solved!

Also, TP does not equal "Tour Preferred" anymore I don't think. TMAG markets things as "TP" when they have the logo. Riught now the only thing with the logo is the TP shafts. Tour Preferred is the "watered down", clunky, ugly step-sister of the glory that was "TP"!
[/quote]

That is not exactly true... TP in woods designates .335 tip with different shaft options as opposed to .350, and TP often means smaller head size. In irons they have different stock shaft options, often include 3i, in come cases 2 or driving iron, sometimes weaker lofts, less offset, and are MB's or CB that have more challenging designs, yet slightly forgiving designs, as opposed to the standard CB that have hybrid replacement vs long irons. My 2 cents.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409245480' post='10025573']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is not exactly true... TP in woods designates .335 tip with different shaft options as opposed to .350, and TP often means smaller head size. In irons they have different stock shaft options, often include 3i, in come cases 2 or driving iron, sometimes weaker lofts, less offset, and are MB's or CB that have more challenging designs, yet slightly forgiving designs, as opposed to the standard CB that have hybrid replacement vs long irons. My 2 cents.
[/quote]

Yeh, I wasn't precise enough. My point is that TMAG specifically identifies some things as "TP" and others as "Tour Preferred" and NEVER mixes the two anymore. Like you will never see TMAG call the .335 tip stuff "Tour Preferred," it is ONLY styled as "TP". Whereas with the irons, its ONLY "Tour Preferred" now, and is never shortened to TP. Other people interchange them a lot, but TMAG itself seems to make a conscious effort not to, so I think it is intentional on some level.

Also, I know in the past they were mixed (See 08-09 Tour Preferred Irons with TP logo), but since the R11 when they stopped with the TP driver heads, I have seen a conscious differentiation between the two, at least at the TMAG company level.

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1409246074' post='10025637']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409245480' post='10025573']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeh, I wasn't precise enough. My point is that TMAG specifically identifies some things as "TP" and others as "Tour Preferred" and NEVER mixes the two anymore. Like you will never see TMAG call the .335 tip stuff "Tour Preferred," it is ONLY styled as "TP". Whereas with the irons, its ONLY "Tour Preferred" now, and is never shortened to TP. Other people interchange them a lot, but TMAG itself seems to make a conscious effort not to, so I think it is intentional on some level.

Also, I know in the past they were mixed (See 08-09 Tour Preferred Irons with TP logo), but since the R11 when they stopped with the TP driver heads, I have seen a conscious differentiation between the two, at least at the TMAG company level.
[/quote]

Given TM's penchant for marketing and merchandising, its not surprising they now spell out TP; makes perfect sense. Most people, even average golfers don't know what TP stands for or its difference. My SLDR is marketed as TP as well as my 15* SLDR. I believe they even have a TP Rescue. Its my guess, calling something tour preferred will get attention vs. TP.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

How many people with the current TP irons would buy a new set if it had the logo? Let's make it easier for everyone.
[/quote]

I would not switch either, have a split set CB / MC, and absolutely love them.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

[quote name='Soxfan21' timestamp='1409249354' post='10025967']
[/quote]

I would not switch either, have a split set CB / MC, and absolutely love them.
[/quote]

Many people might not have TM TP now, but if they saw that, just might. I suspect, if TM does that, that's the market they'd be tapping, along with totally new buyers. Also, I don't believe, even if current TP owners would run out and buy just to have the TP logo, they'd publicly admit being such ho's... :)

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

You can keep the friggen logo....how about offering a real tour preferred line...make a std generic line ( like one that exists) than make another line with quality forging, excellent craftsmanship, high grade satin finish and maybe slightly smaller heads or something, maybe offer any shaft or put a really nice stock one in there..charge an extra few bucks and throw a TP logo on it....

Line that currently exists is just a std generic low cost mass produced version.....There is nothing TP about it

I gamed 2014 mc and currently using 2014 cb...they aren't bad sticks but there is nothing about them that screams quality or do they have a shining trait to them.....just very basic generic irons....they are really forgiving though I give em that....but feel wise and looks wise...they are way way behind imo

Does the logo give you extra yardage? You can send any irons to me. And I'll sharpie in the logo for you. And I won't even charge for shipping.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5