Anyone playing a 56 deg SW as their highest lofted wedge?

rainkingjr

Restocking the bag and ended up with a 56 degree SW which was graciously included with a set of irons I purchased. My dilemma is that I haven't carried a 56 in a long time. I usually go 52 & 58 or 54 & 60 depending on the PW. This now has me considering getting a 50 degree GW to fill the spot between the 46 deg PW and this 56. Anyone not carrying a Lob wedge? How has that worked out for you? Do you feel like not carrying a LW has limited you in any sense?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on the courses and conditions you play. I tried it for a while. The 56 is my most used wedge around the greens. I can hit low runners all the way to lob shots with my 56. However, the courses I play are really tough around the greens. They have lots of undulation, elevated greens, high bunkers, fast/hard greens, thick rough etc. So, about 20% of the shots around the green you just need that extra loft and extra spin. So, the 60 went back in the bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhNgKK_n6Q

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Carry a Vokey tvd 56* M grind as highest lofted wedge, started back doing so just as an experiment when getting accustomed to new wedge, versatile enough that I do not need anything higher.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

if you have rocco or seve's short game talent a 56* should be good enough for all situations...

for the rest of us--including tiger and phil--the 60* or even higher makes it much simpler...

PS..there are just some shots where the 60*(or higher) is a better option---for me.

fwiw my gamer wedges are 45*/50*/55*/60*...

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I used to carry a Cleveland 56* and 60*, and always found that I could play the whole round with the 56* alone but couldn't do the same with the 60*. I've just taken out the 60* and replaced with a 64* so I'll have to see how that goes. I found with the LW it's hard to play certain shots compared to the 56 and the only time I use it is when I want a softer landing with not much green to work with and probably just off the green. Which IMO can be played just as well with the 56, I guess providing you have the right bounce/grind it should be good enough.

The highest I had in bag was a 54* Eye 2, and I recently added a Cleveland 588 58*. I'm glad I did, makes sand play and close chips easier. Years ago I had problems with 60-64 deg wedges. My judgement on some shots was off coming up short too often. IMO there is higher percentages going with a stronger lofted wedge and an easy swing, than a high lofted wedge and a hard swing.

56* is plenty for me. I get the concept of a 60 or higher but frankly, if I'm in a spot where I need to use it, it's a really low % shot that I'm less likely to pull if anyway. Typically just take my medicine, aim for a safe spot with my 56*, and move on. Scores have improved drastically with this mentality too.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 70 Stiff | Titleist 915F 15* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 80 Stiff
Ping i20 hybrids: 17*, 20*, 23* | Ping i KBS Tour S+ | Ping Glide 50* SS, 56* WS | Bettinardi Studio Stock

I play to an 11 handicap. I have found that the 56 degree wedge is enough for me. I own a 56.14 Spin Mill. I replaced the head last year with a new one (although discontinued I found a brand new head at a bargain price). I wish it had a little less bounce, say 11 degrees rather than 14. I think it would be more versatile with 11 degrees than 14.

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

50, 56 for me. I can hit a high flop with the 56, but rarely choose to play high shots around the green. I prefer to get the ball on the green and rolling as soon as I can. I use the 50 (or P, 9, 8) when I have green to work with and the 56 when I'm short sided.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1409466474' post='10039119']
In over 20 years I've never had the need for anything higher than 56*.[/quote]

This.

For the entirety of my life, I have played with older-lofted clubs. Meaning, my 9-iron is a 48° loft and my PW is a 52°. I never carried more than that, ever. Until I got here, that is. I started carrying a 56° this year and don't feel the need to carry 3 wedges at this point. I have considered a high bounce 60° with that last spot in the bag, but for me, it makes more sense to help my long game with a 7-wood. I can do 98% of what I need around the green with the 52° and the 56°. At some point, I will likely seek out a 60° Vokey to play with, but for as much as I would use it, it would be a novelty for me.

doug

CG14 56* is my highest lofted club...has been for 2 seasons now. Time for a new wedge!

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

I carried only a 56 degree for most of my golfing life, can't remember when I added a 60 degree, maybe 15 years ago, maybe before that. But I actually did carry two different 56 degree wedges, one with a wide sole, a Hogan forty-seven, and a Ram Tom Watson tour grind wedge, I later replaced the Hogan with a newer Hogan 56 degree IIRC. The Hogans was for the sand and out of the rough, and the Ram was from the fairway and more for full swings... I was actually a much better wedge player back when I only had a 56 degree in the bag.... I used to basically do what Rocco was showing in the video, can't really say I could do that consistently any more.......

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Gap wedge for that kind of setup is a must. At least to me. I got a set of Bio cell irons and found so me titleist wedges for a decent price and ended up getting a 52 and 56. Love my pitching wedge but I needed the 52 between the PW and 56.

Anything higher than the 56 seemed like a waste to me. I have a Vokey TVD 56M and it's versatile enough for me to not be able to justify the $$$ on a 60

never owned anything more than 56 here either.....although there is a 60.04 sm5 in my clubs proshop that I have my eye on...not because I think I need the loft but because I want to hit the low bounce version...lol.. just like others have said..i can play any shot with the 56...but with the 60 your limited....try a 40 yard bunker shot with it....good luck getting it there...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock