Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 10:20 AM, garyt said:

You can't go by what he does. His whole schtick is trying new swings. If he stuck to one he'd be out of business. He really liked the Gary Edwin RSS swing also but he switched from that, too. He's never going to stay with one swing no matter how well it works. Who knows what swing he actually uses when not on camera?

There’s a video of him about a month ago where he talks about how much he learned from JV. I thinks he’s now basically doing a JV swing with a more neutral alignment 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:30 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

Decided to sign up for a year. Figured I was missing things from just watching his vids on YouTube. Jim Venetos  goes into much more detail in his website. Can’t wait to take what I needed to add to the practice range and the course. 

Any updates? From everything I’m reading this is not something you can just “mess around “ with a few times on the range and decide if it works or not. 

Edited by scopek

59 minutes ago, scopek said:

Any updates? I’m considering doing this swing vs going back to S&T. I’ve watched a lot of his videos and have access to his academy but am still deciding on whether or not to commit. From everything I’m reading this is not something you can just “mess around “ with a few times on the range and decide if it works or not. 

I’ve had back issues which may be related to the swing method. Backing off and putting time in Manuel de la Torre swing thoughts. After one round and no practice with it no back pain and actually felt great after the round. MDLT is also a centered teacher , just his center is the body and not the front arm/shoulder. The hands take the club back and arms swing thru. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

3 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I’ve had back issues which may be related to the swing method. Backing off and putting time in Manuel de la Torre swing thoughts. After one round and no practice with it no back pain and actually felt great after the round. MDLT is also a centered teacher , just his center is the body and not the front arm/shoulder. The hands take the club back and arms swing thru. 

Seems like a great stress free way to swing… my issue is having an instructor even if it’s online….are you doing this on your own?

No I 

56 minutes ago, scopek said:

Seems like a great stress free way to swing… my issue is having an instructor even if it’s online….are you doing this on your own?

No through his site but only from vids you don’t see on YouTube. His teaching library. I was for two years on my own by “discovering “ it by trial and error. Went to his YouTube videos and saw that I wasn’t exactly the same. I think I was doing stack and tilt some and what he was doing together. That was working for me with out pain. May go back to what my swing was before if MDLT method doesn’t improve but as far as this year , sticking to MDLT. 

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, tm3 said:

That is a great analysis.  Thanks for posting it!

I don't understand the driver and long club difficulty, and it is a very common complaint from people who have committed to the JV swing.  Seems so prevalent in fact that I would think he would have more instruction addressing it, not less.

The video submission and feedback issue also sounds strange, and not ideal for a subscription service.  I agree with you; somebody at my (lack of) skill level probably makes different errors from swing to swing and I never have bought into the "experts" who claim that they only need to see one swing.

Quick update... my swing started to go off the rails again.  I was hitting all over the place. Out of frustration, halfway through a large bucket at the range, I tried the JV swing again.  I started hitting it pure again.  I think I finally figured out the alignment issue I was having.  And tbh, with that out the way, this is a very good swing to use to play golf.  It's less effort and more consistent.

I still need to figure out how to get it working with my driver however, because I'm barely clearing 200 yards with the JV method.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrHateCoffee said:

Quick update... my swing started to go off the rails again.  I was hitting all over the place. Out of frustration, halfway through a large bucket at the range, I tried the JV swing again.  I started hitting it pure again.  I think I finally figured out the alignment issue I was having.  And tbh, with that out the way, this is a very good swing to use to play golf.  It's less effort and more consistent.

I still need to figure out how to get it working with my driver however, because I'm barely clearing 200 yards with the JV method.

Are you doing the online school and submitting video? 

1 minute ago, MrHateCoffee said:

Yeah I still have my membership.  I've been too lazy to bring my tripod to the range but I'll do it next time.

I have read a LOT of reviews on the JVS and did as much research as I could and there are 3 things that seem to be consistent that I took away; 1) this swings does work and for those that have struggled with traditional methods it can be a God send 2) it works really well for irons up front but students often complain that they hit a wall with longer clubs especially the driver and 3) there’s little chance people will stick with it without guidance from Jim Venetos himself. I literally just started and sent my first swings to JV today after doing a lot of research and satisfied this is legit. I doubt I’m going to get on tour with this swing but it might check a lot of boxes for me. I’m also anticipating that I’ll get to the point where the driver will be more difficult then the irons but if I get that far I’m definitely going to submit video to JV and not try on my own or I’ll likely give up in frustration 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scopek said:

I have read a LOT of reviews on the JVS and did as much research as I could and there are 3 things that seem to be consistent that I took away; 1) this swings does work and for those that have struggled with traditional methods it can be a God send 2) it works really well for irons up front but students often complain that they hit a wall with longer clubs especially the driver and 3) there’s little chance people will stick with it without guidance from Jim Venetos himself. I literally just started and sent my first swings to JV today after doing a lot of research and satisfied this is legit. I doubt I’m going to get on tour with this swing but it might check a lot of boxes for me. I’m also anticipating that I’ll get to the point where the driver will be more difficult then the irons but if I get that far I’m definitely going to submit video to JV and not try on my own or I’ll likely give up in frustration 

You're submitting them through the V1 Golf app right?  My only qualms are that I wish I could send a longer video showing me go through a few swings.  When you're learning a swing it's pretty hard to just go with a sample size of 1 because there likely isn't going to be a lot of consistency in what you're doing until you get the hang of it.  By sending one swing he could be analyzing the rare time I hit it well (or shanked it)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrHateCoffee said:

You're submitting them through the V1 Golf app right?  My only qualms are that I wish I could send a longer video showing me go through a few swings.  When you're learning a swing it's pretty hard to just go with a sample size of 1 because there likely isn't going to be a lot of consistency in what you're doing until you get the hang of it.  By sending one swing he could be analyzing the rare time I hit it well (or shanked it)

Yeah, that’s an issue with online lessons in general. But, yes, I’m using the V1 app. I would not pursue this without being able to submit video….if for some reason he doesn’t respond I’ll move on…likely go back to S&T 

Edited by scopek

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

I read this topic with interest as I am busy testing the Jim Ventos swing myself.
I had already tried and given up two years ago.
But I came back to it again, in the last few weeks and I am very satisfied with the result.
My contacts are much better and more regular too.
Like others, my distances remain the same.

I took the monthly subscription to try Jim's coaching.

I am writing to you from Belgium.

I hope that my intervention will revive this topic which has been inactive for some years.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Capoblanco said:

Hello to all,

I read this topic with interest as I am busy testing the Jim Ventos swing myself.
I had already tried and given up two years ago.
But I came back to it again, in the last few weeks and I am very satisfied with the result.
My contacts are much better and more regular too.
Like others, my distances remain the same.

I took the monthly subscription to try Jim's coaching.

I am writing to you from Belgium.

I hope that my intervention will revive this topic which has been inactive for some years.  

I’m doing the reviews with Jim. I can say that my idea of myself thinking I was trying this swing on my own was totally off. You really need him as a guide. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2014 at 3:47 PM, northgolf said:

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1410224251' post='10086791']
[quote name='garyt' timestamp='1410220357' post='10086425']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6h8RP-JeM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=RQ6h8RP-JeM[/url]

Anybody try this swing? Definitely different and intriguing.
[/quote]

stack n tiltesh, seems potentially painful and tough on the body
[/quote]

I didn't have the sound on and I took it for a joke video. Are you telling me that guy is serious?

It does work. He shoots a better game than you and I may as well using the same technique. The people with the most sneid remarks are usually the poorest performers.

Of course it works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocParty said:

It does work. He shoots a better game than you and I may as well using the same technique. The people with the most sneid remarks are usually the poorest performers.

Of course it works.

Haha.  Except those of course who have tried it and say it doesn't work for longer clubs and most people end up moving on. 

But as you say, of course it works!

• Thanks 1

It seems clear the issue with the longer clubs and the driver is that this method doesn't really have a lot of weight shift. With so many theories out there I think people distrust a weight shift but the elastic loading an unloading of different parts of the body add clubhead speed, just like batter or pitcher in baseball.

The JM method looks like the hands mechanics are pretty simple the only thing one would have to do integrate a weightshift into the move.

I would recommend having a little more weight on the front of the feet(balls) then during the takeaway reach back farther away from the target with the left hand, its somewhat a lateral move and will put the weight on the right leg enough that one can "spring" off of it. I recommend keeping the weight on the front of the feet as much as possible in the beginning as it makes the weighshift and leg movement on the downswing much more natural. I learned this from Rocco Mediate and have been working to keep my weight on the front and it has added accuracy and is much easier on my lower back.

I would say that there is no reason one can't look at different methods and learn a little from each and every one of them. Manuel De La Torres, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones and Rocco Mediate are my favorite sources to learn about the swing. I have also learned a great deal about how the hands and arms should work by watching Tony Finau and John Daly, both of which rotate the hand and forearm very early in the swing, which many instructors say is not necessary, but in my opinion is of utmost importance for good and efficient hand and arm mechanics. I think the JM method promotes this as well looking at his videos.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I signed up with Jim Venetos Golf Academy and found a lot of good help, my problem was swaying and well when your setup demands not to move, it makes it hard to follow. So I’ve been all around trying to find a solution. The Stack and Tilt has helped me away from swaying, but I believe for my game Jim Venetos system is best, keep it simple. Everyone out there tells you to keep your head still, or to keep your head behind the ball but nobody really has a drill of good tips on how to do it. I was finally able to overcome it by placing 90 percent of my weight on my left leg and just hit a thousand balls. Anyhow I do believe there is too much information out there for us amateurs, find one you like and stick with it. In Jim’s method, I wish he had a first setup instruction of hitting balls off your left leg - or maybe it is there and I missed it. Whichever the case I do like his method, I hope you take a look at it or find a method that works for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Venetos method is incredibly concise and productive.  I find the driver to be the easiest club to hit with his method; although I find working through the set pretty simple; as well.  You do have to develop a distance from the ball that works best for you; incorporating a circular and shallow descending swing.  Problems occur when you allow the right hand to foul the swing; and it will happen in most cases because it is still in your memory trace, and its natural when you want to 'jump' on a shot.  Clubface control is always important, so this is another area that can go awry.  But, any new swing tends to follow a similar learning curve, you immediately takeoff and think you have found gold; then you get to the course and it all disappears and you shoot the worst number of the year.  The key with Venetos is that the swing is simple, but it requires repetitions and developing a tempo with your swing.  The beauty of it is that once you learn it, it will always be easy to retune it, since things are so simplified.  You don't need lessons ad nauseum, you are self-taught and easily self analyzed, and easily self correcting.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 7:49 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

No I 

No through his site but only from vids you don’t see on YouTube. His teaching library. I was for two years on my own by “discovering “ it by trial and error. Went to his YouTube videos and saw that I wasn’t exactly the same. I think I was doing stack and tilt some and what he was doing together. That was working for me with out pain. May go back to what my swing was before if MDLT method doesn’t improve but as far as this year , sticking to MDLT. 

At the end of my 2021 season I went from MDLT to Carl Lohren’s leading the swing with my right side or for you righties the left side from slightly open shoulders and hips. This straighten my tee shots and my irons were spot on. If anyone is interested he has two books and YouTube vids.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

• 1 month later...

Hi

I’ve joined JV a week ago. Background: i have taken literally 400-500 lessons from about 92 different instructors over the past 50 years. It’s what I love to do, and yes I agree that it probably hasn’t made me the best golfer I could be. But it’s my money and time. From Natural golf to George Gankas, I try them all.

I’m playing as well as I’ve ever played, and hitting it as far as I ever have. Not far far but 90mph swing speed got me to a 7.4 index. It’s now an 11, which is why I’m on to JV. 😂 sorry George.

First impressions sucked. I’ve failed JV’s simple path drill three times! But the past few days I’ve hit perhaps the best and longest 7i , dare I say; ever? So I’ll stick with it,  until I don’t. He seems like a very honest, nice guy, even though he won’t give me an in person lesson😥.

23 hours ago, Stopthepush said:

Hi

I’ve joined JV a week ago. Background: i have taken literally 400-500 lessons from about 92 different instructors over the past 50 years. It’s what I love to do, and yes I agree that it probably hasn’t made me the best golfer I could be. But it’s my money and time. From Natural golf to George Gankas, I try them all.

I’m playing as well as I’ve ever played, and hitting it as far as I ever have. Not far far but 90mph swing speed got me to a 7.4 index. It’s now an 11, which is why I’m on to JV. 😂 sorry George.

First impressions sucked. I’ve failed JV’s simple path drill three times! But the past few days I’ve hit perhaps the best and longest 7i , dare I say; ever? So I’ll stick with it,  until I don’t. He seems like a very honest, nice guy, even though he won’t give me an in person lesson😥.

Your journey sounds much like mine (Dalton McCrary -> Natural Golf -> Graves Brothers -> Don Trahan -> Jim Venetos -> Julian Mellor!)

I gave the JV swing three very honest and solid tries because it made a lot of sense to me.

Played some decent golf with it at times but could never get 100% comfortable with it.

Finally settled on Julian Mellor (Propergolfing.com) who was the ticket for me. 

Saw my handicap go from a 12 to 9 last year.   Hoping for even better this year.

Good luck on your journey wherever you land!  

Edited by BigEx44
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 6:28 AM, BigEx44 said:

Your journey sounds much like mine (Dalton McCrary -> Natural Golf -> Graves Brothers -> Don Trahan -> Jim Venetos -> Julian Mellor!)

I gave the JV swing three very honest and solid tries because it made a lot of sense to me.

Played some decent golf with it at times but could never get 100% comfortable with it.

Finally settled on Julian Mellor (Propergolfing.com) who was the ticket for me. 

Saw my handicap go from a 12 to 9 last year.   Hoping for even better this year.

Good luck on your journey wherever you land!  

Big E! I am currently in the same situation (much higher handicap) but have been giving the JVGA swing a go and then came across Julian Mellor and his swing. Seems to make much more sense to me and i am way more comfortable executing that swing. I was thinking about signing up for his course but have a few questions. Are you open to chatting about it? Thanks!

10 hours ago, golfman24 said:

Big E! I am currently in the same situation (much higher handicap) but have been giving the JVGA swing a go and then came across Julian Mellor and his swing. Seems to make much more sense to me and i am way more comfortable executing that swing. I was thinking about signing up for his course but have a few questions. Are you open to chatting about it? Thanks!

Absolutely.  Would love to talk.  You can PM me if you'd like.