I am probably preaching to the non-choir here, but what's the point of using an app for scoring? I would think it's easier to carry pencil and paper, and input it into computer afterwards. Unlocking the phone after each round takes forever, and I don't really feel comfortable swinging the golf club with a phone in my pocket. Those of you that use scoring apps, please enlighten me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry my phone in my left pocket at all times, and have been doing so ever since they have become internet accessible. It does not feel uncomfortable since I'm used to it.

So, as someone who carries a phone 100% of the time regardless of what I'm doing, it makes no sense to me to carry a scorecard around when there are apps available that can handle all of the information that a scorecard does without having to carry the actual scorecard and a pencil. It takes me the same time to enter a score and the number of putts in the app than it would to pull out a sweat-soaked scorecard and pencil and write them down by hand. Most apps keep track of more than just score as well.

FWIW, I use Swing by Swing, which is available for both Android and iPhone. Not only does it work as a scorecard, but it automatically updates to where you are at on the golf course offering distance to hole information. It also calculates and keeps track of a lot of information, such as handicap, putts per hole, putts per round, etc., all which are based on the scores you enter manually.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 | Nike VR Ltd 15 19 | Nike VR Pro 3-9 | Nike VR Forged 47-51-55 | Rife Cayman

Interesting. I wonder what percentage of people don't mind carrying their phones in the pocket.

I used a GPS app last year. While it was useful, it was also cumbersome to me because I kept the phone in the golf bag pocket.

I tried Swing by Swing last year, it wasn't as convenient as GolfGPS for me, but seeing all the comments in another thread, I might give it another try.

I played in a tournament where one kid had to know what you got right when you putted put and would out it in his phone. Annoying as heck. We were only to keep score for one other person in the foursome.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my iPhone on my belt and it is easy to pull out and use for scorekeeping. But like another poster said, I have my phone on my belt all the time, so I am very used to it. I only use Golfshot for scorekeeping, not the GPS (use a laser for it). Nice that it keeps all my historical scorecards and stats on my phone.

Ping G400 LST Driver
TEE CBX 119 3 Wood, 2H
Taylormade P790 4-AW
Cleveland RTX4 54, 60
Seemore Mini Giant Deep Flange

I don't have or need an iPhone or Android but if I did I'd use an app as I go along. I used to be able to do it on my upro but that option is going away for uploading.

I recently started using oobgolf for tracking my stats (input after the round).

I differ from the poster above. A a lot of our games recently require me to keep and submit other players' scores too and I found it was a pain to do that, keep track of my own Fairways, GIR's etc on another card and still concentrate on play. So my stats have taken a holiday the last month. I'll need to figure something out for next year.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410  5 wood (at 16.5°) &  7 wood ( at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  22° & 26° (at 25°) hybrids  Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07F, 54.08M, 58.08M Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

I keep a scorecard from all of my rounds in a shoebox in my basement. When I get home I put the scores into oobgolf, and I also have the app on my phone. I guess I could put the scores directly into oob while playing, but I like to not be messing with my phone when I'm on the course - golf is a way to get away from everything.

@j_canales87

I started using GolfShot app on my phone. I'll often keep a scorecard as well bc I just likel the paper/pencil route, but I'm not going to keep a bunch of paper scorecards unless I'm going really low and want to remember the round.

GolfShot offers me the following advantages:

1. Scores are readily available. We play a modified stableford format a lot of times and my last 10 scores determine my point target. They're never far away.
2. I can track fairways hit, penalty strokes, putts and bunker shots. This isn't necessarily useful during a round, but when looking at all of my rounds combined, I can see that if I keep it in the fairway, my GIR go up and my score comes down, or I can see that when I average less than 2 putts/hole I tend to shoot my handicap. I also can see a trend regarding my penalty strokes and bunker play, all of which inform some of my on-course decisions.
3. I can share the rounds with friends afterwards. vbb and I will very often send eachother screen caps or post-round summaries and talk about what went right, what went wrong, etc. Sure, you could tell someone about the round, but you're not going to give them 18 holes of details. This way he shares his card, I take a look....if anything jumps out like a birdie on #2, which is the toughest hole on our course, I ask him and we go back and forth about it. Its just fun and makes the game more social. I'm willing to bet this is only important to guys my age (just turned 31) or younger though.

My "Golf Digest" WITB

Ping G400 8.5* | Tour 75X // Ping G400 Stretch 12* | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5 // Ping G20 16.5* | Diamana WB 73X // Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW | DG X100  // Mizuno JPX 919 50/55/60 | KBS CT Lite S // Cleveland Frontline Elevado 

I use the Swing by Swing app. I bought the upgraded version and it can do all sorts of things. If I use all the features it can be kind of a pain (like tracking how far I hit each club etc). However, I can fill in the basics while walking to the next teebox if I don't do anything on a hole. I like it mainly because of the GPS and winds it provides. I played a course today for the second time ever, the last time was in Jan. Anyway, this course is poorly marked distance-wise. It also had lots of doglegs. I like being able to see what the distance is over the trees into the fairway. I like the app. Phone in my pocket doesn't bother me.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

Paper

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red tie 6Q3 stiff
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Kangaroo-hillcrest AB

i use tourcaddie on my phone and a scorecard as well at the same time. (when not in a tournament) i keep the app open in case i'm playing a place that i can't see over hills, round doglegs and whatnot since i have a laser for in-sight yardages. i also keep the phone in the golf cart since it's a note 3 and it's farkin huge.

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Paper and pencil. Last thing I want to have to worry about if it starts raining is my phone or getting it covered in sand/grass/debris from my pocket/course in general.

I frequently combine my paper and pencil with the magic of a leather holder for the ultimate in stay-dry technology. I just track all my stats when I log my round into GHIN.

dont know if something similar has been posted but, this is how i keep my stats using my scorecard -

20141017_111710_zps4swaiucs.jpg

- the V in the boxes denotes the left, middle, and right of fairway...put an X in the correct space for where u hit your tee shot (obviously par 3's are exempt)

- bottom left of the box is either an X for green hit, or a P if a penalty shot was used

- top right is for putts

- center # is score

- under the V's i put an SS for sand save, or SX for failed sand save (can do this multiple times, should you get in more than one bunker)

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1413559144' post='10304921']
dont know if something similar has been posted but, this is how i keep my stats using my scorecard -

- the V in the boxes denotes the left, middle, and right of fairway...put an X in the correct space for where u hit your tee shot (obviously par 3's are exempt)
- bottom left of the box is either an X for green hit, or a P if a penalty shot was used
- top right is for putts
- center # is score
- under the V's i put an SS for sand save, or SX for failed sand save (can do this multiple times, should you get in more than one bunker)
[/quote]

Great idea, especially if you don't like using a phone or if it's not allowed.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 | Nike VR Ltd 15 19 | Nike VR Pro 3-9 | Nike VR Forged 47-51-55 | Rife Cayman

I use Golfshot Classic on my iPhone. Excellent app for scoring and tracking stats. You also get GPS yardages and hole arial images. I use it side by side with my range finder.

Titleist TSi3 driver Tour AD XC

Titleist TS2 3 wood Tensei blue

Titleist TS2 5 wood HZRDUS smoke black

Titleist T-100s 4-gap

Vokey sm8 54/12d and 60/12d 

Scotty Cameron special select 1.5

I'm not big into tracking statistics, but I like using the scorecard function on my S2.

It allows me to keep track of my score without really knowing how I stand throughout my round. I play much more free that way and don't tense up coming down the stretch.

Taylormade M5 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Orange
Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie
Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
Nike Method Origin B2-01
Srixon Q-Star Tour
WITB Link

[color=#282828][size=4]yeah, you don't need an app for stats... for me (in the boxes below score):[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]L, F or R for fairways[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]G (or not) for greens hit[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]ticks for putts[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]S for bunker or [/size][/color][color=#282828][size=4]P for penalty[/size][/color][color=#282828][size=4] or whatever[/size][/color]

I'm still using golfguru, downloaded golfpad, and tried it on a course not in golfguru, very cumbersome. have to wake up the phone, and then if over 30 minutes, need password. also, when placing phone back in belt holster, sometimes the sceen changes. also have trouble seeing in sunlight wearing sunglasses. don't like the scorecard feature. wish there was an app that this could be turned off, like golfguru. just want yardage to green- front, center, back, and to selected fairway targets. Anybody know of such an app.

• 1 month later...

I use Golfshot GPS & a laser, but usually, I don't need the laser. I love that I can drag to a target distance & preset the distances of my scoring irons. I'm not a fan of the scoring sequence.

If they would install buttons at the bottom of the screen - shot counter, sand, penalty, putt - I could do it as I play instead of after the hole.

If I could just tap a shot counter button & have it track where I'm playing my shot from & the distance from my last shot - then I wouldn't have to recall if my 3W was left of the fairway after the hole.

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1417010761' post='10505627']
[quote name='GameDayDog' timestamp='1417008564' post='10505515']
After complaining, I downloaded a few more golf apps including the newest version of GolfShot GPS, Hole 19 & Golf pad GPS. I'm an Apple iOS user..
[/quote]

Take a look at "fungolf."
[/quote]

Downloading it as I type. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='GameDayDog' timestamp='1417153964' post='10512851']
[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1417010761' post='10505627']
[quote name='GameDayDog' timestamp='1417008564' post='10505515']
After complaining, I downloaded a few more golf apps including the newest version of GolfShot GPS, Hole 19 & Golf pad GPS. I'm an Apple iOS user..
[/quote]

Take a look at "fungolf."
[/quote]

Downloading it as I type. Thanks!
[/quote]

I also use Hole19 for tracking and love it. Super accurate GPS and the best design from all the ones I've tried, including FunGolf.

What I appreciate most about apps is when they just keep things simple and get the job done.. nothing more, nothing less. Hole19 does just that, and I don't have to pay any stupid subscriptions...

I used Hole 19 on the - shot by shot - mode. I tracked multiple driver shots & there's no page that shows your club averages for tracked shots.

So - if I track 2 drivers shots - 300 & 280. The app doesn't say - Your tracked driver shots averages 290. It makes tracking the shot a little useless.

Unless, I just can't find that feature in the app..