All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

> @eebomb said:

> > @newoodky said:

> > > @tjblue said:

> > > > @reperna said:

> > > > Me and some buddies are heading to eagle eye in a couple weeks. We planned on playing 18 at hawk hollow also but it looks like they have something going on. Do you guys recommend playing anything else near by? Were coming from metro detroit.

> > >

> > > Timber Ridge

> > I live in Lansing and play my league out at Eagle Eye/Hawk Hollow. I can also second Timber Ridge. Hawk Hollow properties just took over ownership this year. Really nice layout and I have heard rumors about vastly improved conditions this year (have not played it this summer). Also the Emerald in St. Johns would be my top choice besides Eagle/Hawk. It is about 30 minutes away with corn fields all around but it surprisingly has great topography and great greens.

>

> timber ridge way overpriced now

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made some major progress today

How many private courses does UM have? Snobs. Both of MSU’s courses are public. Just saying.

Carded my first ace yesterday. Hit a choke down 3 iron into the wind from 205. Fun to finally join some of you guys

Posted Images

Had a great day at Bucks Run today. In my opinion it is worth the $88 as it has immaculate conditions. Probably the fastest greens that I have ever putted on which hurt my score because all courses I've played this year has been pretty slow. I enjoyed it more than Black Lake (which impressed me) and Wild Rock in the Dells. Going to Hemlock on Sunday to compare. I'd thought I knock out as many well received courses before I play Arcadia and Forest Dunes.

shnkuuzav8mi.jpg

6ijsd0310u70.jpg

ck8jgdbreso6.jpg

> @"Timbo Slice" said:

> Had a great day at Bucks Run today. In my opinion it is worth the $88 as it has immaculate conditions. Probably the fastest greens that I have ever putted on which hurt my score because all courses I've played this year has been pretty slow. I enjoyed it more than Black Lake (which impressed me) and Wild Rock in the Dells. Going to Hemlock on Sunday to compare. I'd thought I knock out as many well received courses before I play Arcadia and Forest Dunes.

> shnkuuzav8mi.jpg

> 6ijsd0310u70.jpg

> ck8jgdbreso6.jpg

>

looking forward to your review of Hemlock,playing there in sept.

> @"Timbo Slice" said:

> Had a great day at Bucks Run today. In my opinion it is worth the $88 as it has immaculate conditions. Probably the fastest greens that I have ever putted on which hurt my score because all courses I've played this year has been pretty slow. I enjoyed it more than Black Lake (which impressed me) and Wild Rock in the Dells. Going to Hemlock on Sunday to compare. I'd thought I knock out as many well received courses before I play Arcadia and Forest Dunes.

> shnkuuzav8mi.jpg

> 6ijsd0310u70.jpg

> ck8jgdbreso6.jpg

>

You cannot post trash like this on wrx. Those look to be forward tees. Nobody on wrx plays up tees.

> @njspence said:

> Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should expect

Not saying you should but carts are now allowed on The Loop.

> @njspence said:

> Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should excpect

Played it over 4th of July. Loved, loved, loved FD. Enjoyed Loop, just didnt see the value for the price tag. Really cool and unique course, just not something I'm gonna pay that price to play regularly.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
19* TM M1 w/80x Black Tie
4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
Titleist SM6 52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S 
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Taylormade TP5

> @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > @njspence said:

> > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should excpect

>

> Played it over 4th of July. Loved, loved, loved FD. Enjoyed Loop, just didnt see the value for the price tag. Really cool and unique course, just not something I'm gonna pay that price to play regularly.

How were the greens holding?

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @njspence said:

> > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should expect

>

> Not saying you should but carts are now allowed on The Loop.

It’s a walking only event, and I was told those carts burn out the fairways because of the different grass.

> @njspence said:

> > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > @njspence said:

> > > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should expect

> >

> > Not saying you should but carts are now allowed on The Loop.

>

> It’s a walking only event, and I was told those carts burn out the fairways because of the different grass.

I wonder why they’re allowing carts if they damage the fairways?

> @njspence said:

> > @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > > @njspence said:

> > > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should excpect

> >

> > Played it over 4th of July. Loved, loved, loved FD. Enjoyed Loop, just didnt see the value for the price tag. Really cool and unique course, just not something I'm gonna pay that price to play regularly.

>

> How were the greens holding?

FD greens were amazing. Loop greens held well. They were very hard/firm but slow...especially after coming from playing FD earlier that morning (played 36).

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
19* TM M1 w/80x Black Tie
4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
Titleist SM6 52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S 
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Taylormade TP5

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @njspence said:

> > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > @njspence said:

> > > > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should expect

> > >

> > > Not saying you should but carts are now allowed on The Loop.

> >

> > It’s a walking only event, and I was told those carts burn out the fairways because of the different grass.

>

> I wonder why they’re allowing carts if they damage the fairways?

Because they can't get enough players to walk to pay the bills, the course is not worthy of being a walking only must play. It's just average at best. They allowed Doak to transform what could have been a really good 18 hole routing and create an average curiosity.

• Like 1

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

> @Openwater22 said:

>

>

>

> > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > @njspence said:

> > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > @njspence said:

> > > > > Heading up to forest dunes to play the dunes, and then the dual at the loop(get to play both ways same day). Legs are going to be sore from walking, I’ll give a write up on the loop if anyone is interested. Has anyone played the loop in the last month or so? Just trying to see what we should expect

> > > >

> > > > Not saying you should but carts are now allowed on The Loop.

> > >

> > > It’s a walking only event, and I was told those carts burn out the fairways because of the different grass.

> >

> > I wonder why they’re allowing carts if they damage the fairways?

>

> Because they can't get enough players to walk to pay the bills, the course is not worthy of being a walking only must play. It's just average at best. They allowed Doak to transform what could have been a really good 18 hole routing and create an average curiosity.

I’ve not played The Loop. I’m interested if only because it seems so polarizing.

> @swizbeatz said:

> Will be interesting if they build a third course, I’d never play the loop on a trip there. I do know some people who like it a lot though.

>

> OW I’ll be up your way for the peninsula cup this week @ Kingsley.

Man I miss that course. :'(

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Bay Harbor with Quarry or Links as one of the nines is amazing but super pricey. The Links is best followed by Quarry then Preserve. I played Quarry and Preserve and it is currently my #1 golf experience in Michigan.

I Never played Belvedere but have heard and read nothing but positive reviews. In my eyes it probably plays a lot like the Loop, which some people find boring. In Petoskey any Boyne course or a close by Black Lake would be my first choices. I even stayed at Boyne Mountain last year with family for the water park and drove to Shanty Creek to play Cedar River one of the days which was very good. If it were me I would rank top 5 Petoskey courses....

1. Bay Harbor

2. Black Lake

3. Any Boyne course (Heather or A Hills)

4. Belvedere

5. Dunmaglas (not worth $100, but easy to get on cheaper)

• Like 1

> @"Timbo Slice" said:

> Bay Harbor with Quarry or Links as one of the nines is amazing but super pricey. The Links is best followed by Quarry then Preserve. I played Quarry and Preserve and it is currently my #1 golf experience in Michigan.

> I Never played Belvedere but have heard and read nothing but positive reviews. In my eyes it probably plays a lot like the Loop, which some people find boring. In Petoskey any Boyne course or a close by Black Lake would be my first choices. I even stayed at Boyne Mountain last year with family for the water park and drove to Shanty Creek to play Cedar River one of the days which was very good. If it were me I would rank top 5 Petoskey courses....

> 1. Bay Harbor

> 2. Black Lake

> 3. Any Boyne course (Heather or A Hills)

> 4. Belvedere

> 5. Dunmaglas (not worth $100, but easy to get on cheaper)

>

Blake Lake is very good and an awesome value but it's an hour away and not near anything else. I agree Dunmaglas is a terribly overpriced and wtf is up with their range??? It's pretty much just an overgrown field. I'd add Little Traverse Bay to the list.

• Like 1

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> We have a family trip to Petoskey coming up. I’d like to play two or three rounds. I’ll play alone unless I get paired up.

>

> I’m thinking Bay Harbor and Belvedere.

>

> Other thoughts? Suggestions?

Belvedere is really good, but doesn't play anywhere close to the same as the Loop. Belvedere is a 1920 something parkland style course, Loop is a modern faux links style course. Others in the area:

Links/Quarry at Boyne, True North, Birchwood, Hidden River, Heather at Boyne, Walloon Lake CC, Little Traverse Bay.

• Like 1

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

> @swizbeatz said:

> Will be interesting if they build a third course, I’d never play the loop on a trip there.

>

Same. I played it one direction before an outing I went on back in May, and had it scheduled to play it the other direction on the way home, but we cancelled the second round (partly due to predicted bad weather, but we cancelled that day and were going to find somewhere else to play on Sunday instead if it wasn't for that). It's just not worth the $135 or whatever it is to me. I find the green complexes to be really over the top, and on at least 3 of the last 5 holes, where they had the holes cut was basically impossible to get it anywhere near the hole coming from the direction we were. There was one in particular that was in bit of a bowl that runs off the back of the green (from our direction) where it was simply not possible to stop the ball on the green (coming the other direction, it would be uphill and you'd have a backstop, so it would be a pretty easy location). There was another where I was 50 yards from the flag and in the fairway after my tee shot, and it took 4 shots to get on the green from there, plus a putt to get it in the hole, and I can't point to a single shot I hit that I'd consider bad.

Maybe it would make more sense if I played it a bunch of times, and got to know the contours and where to hit it and where not to miss on every hole, but in a resort type of setting, most people will never do that, and it just doesn't seem like requiring that much local knowledge is right for that kind of setting.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to -1.5*), 44.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Ben Hogan Icon Black 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34"

So here's a question for the group. We are doing a overnight trip in September to play Arcadia and the Bear. We are playing the Bear Saturday Afternoon and Twilight at Arcadia at 4pm on Sunday.

We are staying in TC at the Holiday Inn. Playing the South course is out of some folks budget. So if you had to fit a round in Sunday morning, between TC and Arcadia where would you go? Right now I am seeing a place called PineCroft that I have never heard of on the way, also Interlochen, which I haven't really heard much about. Outside of that, I am pretty clueless to that area as far as courses go. Any suggestions?

> @Openwater22 said:

> Pick one between PineCroft and Champion Hill. Both pretty good and budget friendly.

They both looked pretty solid online and a decent price. We aren't looking for anything too crazy price wise or super nice and those both seemed to fit the bill but sometimes pics make the courses look better than they are. Would you do those over Spruce Run @ Grand Traverse for $70?

> @timbo08 said:

> So here's a question for the group. We are doing a overnight trip in September to play Arcadia and the Bear. We are playing the Bear Saturday Afternoon and Twilight at Arcadia at 4pm on Sunday.

>

> We are staying in TC at the Holiday Inn. Playing the South course is out of some folks budget. So if you had to fit a round in Sunday morning, between TC and Arcadia where would you go? Right now I am seeing a place called PineCroft that I have never heard of on the way, also Interlochen, which I haven't really heard much about. Outside of that, I am pretty clueless to that area as far as courses go. Any suggestions?

Me personally, I cancel the bear sat afternoon and play the south course. I have never played a round in under 5:40 at the bear. If I remember it was always around $140 or so, so what’s the difference to play the south course instead

> @njspence said:

> > @timbo08 said:

> > So here's a question for the group. We are doing a overnight trip in September to play Arcadia and the Bear. We are playing the Bear Saturday Afternoon and Twilight at Arcadia at 4pm on Sunday.

> >

> > We are staying in TC at the Holiday Inn. Playing the South course is out of some folks budget. So if you had to fit a round in Sunday morning, between TC and Arcadia where would you go? Right now I am seeing a place called PineCroft that I have never heard of on the way, also Interlochen, which I haven't really heard much about. Outside of that, I am pretty clueless to that area as far as courses go. Any suggestions?

>

> Me personally, I cancel the bear sat afternoon and play the south course. I have never played a round in under 5:40 at the bear. If I remember it was always around $140 or so, so what’s the difference to play the south course instead

Thanks for the advice but we got the Bear @ 3pm on a Twilight rate for $55 for 18 which I thought was solid. Otherwise, I would 100% agree with you and be playing the South course.

> @timbo08 said:

> > @njspence said:

> > > @timbo08 said:

> > > So here's a question for the group. We are doing a overnight trip in September to play Arcadia and the Bear. We are playing the Bear Saturday Afternoon and Twilight at Arcadia at 4pm on Sunday.

> > >

> > > We are staying in TC at the Holiday Inn. Playing the South course is out of some folks budget. So if you had to fit a round in Sunday morning, between TC and Arcadia where would you go? Right now I am seeing a place called PineCroft that I have never heard of on the way, also Interlochen, which I haven't really heard much about. Outside of that, I am pretty clueless to that area as far as courses go. Any suggestions?

> >

> > Me personally, I cancel the bear sat afternoon and play the south course. I have never played a round in under 5:40 at the bear. If I remember it was always around $140 or so, so what’s the difference to play the south course instead

>

> Thanks for the advice but we got the Bear @ 3pm on a Twilight rate for $55 for 18 which I thought was solid. Otherwise, I would 100% agree with you and be playing the South course.

You can actually play Spruce Run @ GTR and play the Bear for $45 on replay rate to get it even cheaper. Spruce Run is pretty good, it just suffers being compared with a much better Wolverine and Bear on property.