All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

@HappyGilmoresBoots There are numerous better options than The Jewel.  Certainly not a course I would have on a "list to play" for this side of the state.  Don't play there and it's relatively close.  Had heard the south 18 was sold for development.  But that was a year ago, nothing happening there yet.  Wouldn't surprise me that the entirety would be sold and closed at some future point.  

@GoldenBearCub I would describe the conditions at Captains Club as average at best.  Greens have not been aerated yet.  They rolled quick, but quite bumpy, lots of repaired (and not repaired) ball mark remnants.  Numerous crusty spots in the fairways.  Surmise they had been very dried out this summer.  A number of tee boxes were sparse of grass (always been an issue at CC).  Several of the traps had fresh sand dumped in, barely spread around.  Forgot how gimmicky some of the holes were.  It was OK for the $30.00 paid (weekday senior rate), but not a course that will be in regular rotation for the Wednesday travel group.  If proximity is of importance, it's tolerable.  With limited expectations.  

In prior years, Shepards Hollow had later in the season specials although don't recall what.  Only play there early morning weekdays, to take advantage of the before 9 a.m. rate of $49.00.  With this crazy season, only played there once.  Shepards is an excellent course, but don't need  to play it with any regularity (1x/2x per year is enough).  Several in the travel group find it to overwhelming for their game and beef about the price.  As the booking agent, I'm trying to keep a bunch of cranky, fixed income seniors happy.  Do use their range and practice green facilities with some regularity.  

Several courses in the Oxford area are worthwhile if interested in any commentary.  Many places to play, fast dwindling time left to do it unfortunately.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

@HappyGilmoresBoots There are numerous better options than The Jewel.  Certainly not a course I would have on a "list to play" for this side of the state.  Don't play there and it's relatively close.  Had heard the south 18 was sold for development.  But that was a year ago, nothing happening there yet.  Wouldn't surprise me that the entirety would be sold and closed at some future point.  

@GoldenBearCub I would describe the conditions at Captains Club as average at best.  Greens have not been aerated yet.  They rolled quick, but quite bumpy, lots of repaired (and not repaired) ball mark remnants.  Numerous crusty spots in the fairways.  Surmise they had been very dried out this summer.  A number of tee boxes were sparse of grass (always been an issue at CC).  Several of the traps had fresh sand dumped in, barely spread around.  Forgot how gimmicky some of the holes were.  It was OK for the $30.00 paid (weekday senior rate), but not a course that will be in regular rotation for the Wednesday travel group.  If proximity is of importance, it's tolerable.  With limited expectations.  

In prior years, Shepards Hollow had later in the season specials although don't recall what.  Only play there early morning weekdays, to take advantage of the before 9 a.m. rate of $49.00.  With this crazy season, only played there once.  Shepards is an excellent course, but don't need  to play it with any regularity (1x/2x per year is enough).  Several in the travel group find it to overwhelming for their game and beef about the price.  As the booking agent, I'm trying to keep a bunch of cranky, fixed income seniors happy.  Do use their range and practice green facilities with some regularity.  

Several courses in the Oxford area are worthwhile if interested in any commentary.  Many places to play, fast dwindling time left to do it unfortunately.

Well, in that case...

Nah, I used to work for a home builder, and we put a bunch of homes in/around Grand Blanc, and The Jewel was one of the landmarks we'd give contractors and inspectors.  Being that I was an office boy and literally never visited jobsites, I'd only ever seen it from Google Maps.

Have you played Huntmore in Brighton at all?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

8 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Lol about cranky seniors.  I have whittled down my road trip group quite a bit over the years due to griping about prices, when I make clear I'm not driving a couple of hours to play (insert local run of the mill dog track).  Shepherd's HOllow is a course you wouldn't want to play every day, for various reasons.  IT's not fun to play every day on a course where missing a fairway is as likely to be a lost ball as anything else.  BUt before 9 am it's the best deal in the metro area. 

A couple thoughts:

1) played Glacier Club yesterday,very good shape and very challenging.

2) Anybody get lessons from Carl's Golfland? If so, what instructor?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 9/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, Bluefan75 said:

Saw on detroit news app that Salem Hills will be closing at end of October.

I heard today from someone at the course that there might be a possibility that they'll still end up selling the property to someone who will continue to operate it as a golf course. After looking into private options in the area, my wallet is rooting hard for that to happen.😬

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

3 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I heard today from someone at the course that there might be a possibility that they'll still end up selling the property to someone who will continue to operate it as a golf course. After looking into private options in the area, my wallet is rooting hard for that to happen.😬

Lol.  Now this is what you want to hear.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, hybrid25 said:

A couple thoughts:

1) played Glacier Club yesterday,very good shape and very challenging.

2) Anybody get lessons from Carl's Golfland? If so, what instructor?

I took a few lesson at the Carl's in Bloomfield Hills.   The instructor was Joe P.   He was very patient and very good.  

On 10/4/2020 at 1:39 PM, DennyJones said:

I took a few lesson at the Carl's in Bloomfield Hills.   The instructor was Joe P.   He was very patient and very good.  

I think all of Carl's instructors are very good. My lesson was with Gene Bone, who was also great, encouraged well. I got a video of my swing which I am too embarrassed to show anybody, full of swing flaws that it is. My hc started to go up due to improper set up in my backswing, now it's gone down about 2 points after the lesson. Gene definitely helped out! 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Hey guys!

Any update on Salem Hills? 

On another note, I'll be up at Arcadia this weekend for the first time ever. Anything in particular I should keep my eyes out for in either proshop? I'm a sucker for branded gear or unique pieces, and will certainly spend my fair share of time browsing for a few momentos.

What's up everyone?  Nice to see the thread still going!  Only made it back to MI once this year to play (drove the 1200 miles there and back with family, ugh, would not recommend).  Coming up for Thanksgiving, this time by plane....hoping things might still be open for fall golf?  Maple Lane still stays open year round, right?  Where else in the Rochester/Troy/Sterling Heights area is open (assuming no snow on ground)?

• Like 2

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

On 10/14/2020 at 3:08 PM, TooMuchAwesome said:

Any update on Salem Hills? 

Nothing is final, but it sounds like it's going to get bought by someone who plans to keep it running as a golf course. 

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

On 10/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, chickenpotpie said:

Coming up for Thanksgiving, this time by plane....hoping things might still be open for fall golf?  Maple Lane still stays open year round, right?  Where else in the Rochester/Troy/Sterling Heights area is open (assuming no snow on ground)?

Try Sanctuary Lake in Troy.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

• 1 month later...

For historical purposes, shout out to open water and dozer. You boys still trucking?

• Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, odshot68 said:

For historical purposes, shout out to open water and dozer. You boys still trucking?

Man, this thread is dead.  I hope you are doing well B.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

You guys excited for Maple Hill's indoor inventory clearance sale next week?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

KB, for sure. Just saw Dave a few nights back. He rarely golfs much. Hope your doing good M.  

TaylorMade TP5

Morning I!  You still in the golf business?

TaylorMade TP5

I have a golf sim at home now which is great for the winter, but I am having some serious pain in my left thumb which is keeping me from being able to use it.  I start physical therapy today, so hopefully that will start to help.  I might need to totally change my grip and go to a baseball style grip in order to keep it from happening again or maybe go to graphite shafts.  It sucks getting old. 

Edited by knickerbocker
  • Like 2

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

I have a golf sim at home now which is great for the winter, but I am having some serious pain in my left thumb which is keeping me from being able to use it.  I start physical therapy today, so hopefully that will start to help.  I might need to totally change my grip and go to a baseball style grip in order to keep it from happening again or maybe go to graphite shafts.  It sucks getting old. 

That sucks -- is it in the finger part of your thumb or more at the base of it? I've dealt with some hand pain in the thumb area for the past year or so, but it's more down toward the wrist on the back side of my hand. It hasn't been enough to keep me from playing, and it usually doesn't bother me too much once I get it loosened up a bit, but there are some days when it bothers me more than others, and it can require some Advil, especially if I play or practice on consecutive days. I haven't really touched a club (other than to reshaft a set of irons) since I played with itw in mid-December, and I'm hoping that some rest might help to resolve it, though I'm not really expecting that it will. Normally, I'd go to the range occasionally through the winter, but I don't really feel like that's the best thing to be doing right now, so this is the first time I've given it any real extended time to rest.

Getting old really does blow!

39 minutes ago, Jose c. said:

Well looks like the golf show is canceled I cant post a link but it's in the Detroit News. 

Probably not a good idea to have the golf show, from my experience the crowds are too densely populated to safely put on a show. It's rather sad the situation we are in but I think it's probably not a good thing to have it. Ironically, sometimes grocery stores are populated the to similar density, but I guess groceries are needed.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW