All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

12 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

That sucks -- is it in the finger part of your thumb or more at the base of it? I've dealt with some hand pain in the thumb area for the past year or so, but it's more down toward the wrist on the back side of my hand. It hasn't been enough to keep me from playing, and it usually doesn't bother me too much once I get it loosened up a bit, but there are some days when it bothers me more than others, and it can require some Advil, especially if I play or practice on consecutive days. I haven't really touched a club (other than to reshaft a set of irons) since I played with itw in mid-December, and I'm hoping that some rest might help to resolve it, though I'm not really expecting that it will. Normally, I'd go to the range occasionally through the winter, but I don't really feel like that's the best thing to be doing right now, so this is the first time I've given it any real extended time to rest.

Getting old really does blow!

On the subject of thumbs, I once stumbled a bit on a golf course and hurt my right thumb rather badly. Doctor said I would need a pin or screw so we set a time for the operation after an upcoming trip. On the trip I thought a round of golf would be something to do. The thumb did not bother me at all so on my return I cancelled the operation - that was 15 years and maybe 1500 rounds ago. So my rec is to give it time and dont rush into an op.

21 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

That sucks -- is it in the finger part of your thumb or more at the base of it? I've dealt with some hand pain in the thumb area for the past year or so, but it's more down toward the wrist on the back side of my hand. It hasn't been enough to keep me from playing, and it usually doesn't bother me too much once I get it loosened up a bit, but there are some days when it bothers me more than others, and it can require some Advil, especially if I play or practice on consecutive days. I haven't really touched a club (other than to reshaft a set of irons) since I played with itw in mid-December, and I'm hoping that some rest might help to resolve it, though I'm not really expecting that it will. Normally, I'd go to the range occasionally through the winter, but I don't really feel like that's the best thing to be doing right now, so this is the first time I've given it any real extended time to rest.

Getting old really does blow!

My pain is in a very similar spot to what you have - mine is in my left hand.  I have been battling with it for about 6 years now on and off.  Usually, it goes away after warming up or if it gets bad, rest plus ice plus advil for a couple weeks does the trick.  But this time its different.  This is know as De Quervain’s syndrome and common in golfers.

I am now wearing a brace to provide stability during the day and during sleep, doing physical therapy, and treating with cold and hot packs.  

When my hand was at its best, I had been doing some grip strength exercises and that really seems to help.  

One thing I might have to do is change from a standard interlocking grip to a baseball style grip.  It would put less pressure on the tendons during the swing. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

13 minutes ago, knickerbocker said:

My pain is in a very similar spot to what you have - mine is in my left hand.  I have been battling with it for about 6 years now on and off.  Usually, it goes away after warming up or if it gets bad, rest plus ice plus advil for a couple weeks does the trick.  But this time its different.  This is know as De Quervain’s syndrome and common in golfers.

I am now wearing a brace to provide stability during the day and during sleep, doing physical therapy, and treating with cold and hot packs.  

When my hand was at its best, I had been doing some grip strength exercises and that really seems to help.  

One thing I might have to do is change from a standard interlocking grip to a baseball style grip.  It would put less pressure on the tendons during the swing. 

It sounds like your issue is more in the thumb joint than mine. I have a little bump on the back of my hand in the circled area (that's not my hand, just an illustration) an that's where any pain I get seems to originate there. I do also sometimes notice some pain or weakness in the thumb when I try to grip things like jars, or other things when I need to squeeze my thumb and forefinger together. None of it is all that bad, though, so I'm hoping I can just keep managing it and that I won't need to go beyond that, but I have to imagine there will come a time when I might need to get it looked at and possibly corrected. These things don't seem to just get better on their own as you get older, unfortunately.

image.png.b14f9c5dfb899866ff8de56e5f0a38e3.png

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

On 1/13/2021 at 8:09 AM, odshot68 said:

Morning I!  You still in the golf business?

Yes sir

• Like 1

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

So I'm sitting down here in Florida with our boy, the OG, the one who started it all... Openwater22...

And we're just wondering... How is everyone doing??

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

11 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

I have always used a baseball style golf grip, probably because I have played baseball when I was young. For the life of me, I just can't use the overlap grip because it hurts when I swing, so it's baseball grip for me. I could see it being easier on a golfer's hands.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

21 hours ago, G-Bone said:

So I'm sitting down here in Florida with our boy, the OG, the one who started it all... Openwater22...

Doing great. Haven’t seen either of you fine gentlemen in quite a while. 

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

Browsing the county's GIS library today, I found some old aerial photographs from the 90's and 00's.  This is Rolling Hills taken in 2004.  The 1994 picture was lower res and harder to see.

rolling hills.png

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 1/14/2021 at 8:59 PM, G-Bone said:

Good to hear from you guys! Winter has me thinking I should try a 47” driver, so you be the judge of how my sanity is holding up...

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The GAM sent out something about the Michigan Am today, and it’s at Cascade Hills in GR. Anybody know much about it?

That led me to see if they have other venues posted, and I see that the GAM Championship is at Franklin Hills for the 100th edition. From what I hear, that’s a top notch venue, so I definitely want to try for that one. 

Edited by 3_Jack_Par

Anyone else go to BOYNE regularly for buddies trips? 

We've been going for 10 years straight now, same weekend every year in May.  Long story short, we ended up delaying last year and going in September due to COVID. 

Again, due to COVID we held off a bit on booking this year, normally would have done it last fall. 

Anyways, just got quoted for this May and September and dang did the prices go up.  We usually get 1-2 condos depending on size and play 5-6 rounds and we are looking at a 65% increase over last year.  In all fairness, the lady that I always book with through BOYNE did mention that prices would likely be going up this year but I wasn't expecting that drastic of an increase. 

18 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

The GAM sent out something about the Michigan Am today, and it’s at Cascade Hills in GR. Anybody know much about it?

That led me to see if they have other venues posted, and I see that the GAM Championship is at Franklin Hills for the 100th edition. From what I hear, that’s a top notch venue, so I definitely want to try for that one. 

I played there a few times in College because that was Calvin's home course.  I didn't like it much then because of 2-3 stupid holes, but I believe they have done significant updates since then. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

On 1/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, 3_Jack_Par said:

Havent played, or even heard of Cascade hills to be honest. I have played Franklin HIlls though. Old school track thats pretty tough, in pristine shape, and great greens. Cool clubhouse as well.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/couples-left-without-a-venue-after-country-club-closes/?fbclid=IwAR2o5zM7Xz3Lzv024awHMhAEpJhQi8DP14_PVSz7RIb_yNxa6p-BqucV0Mo

They're turning Lincoln Country Club into houses.  That's a bit of a bummer - glad I got to play a few rounds there this past year!

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

9 hours ago, kgeisler13 said:

Anyone know of any Tuesday night 2 man team leagues in the tri county area.  My friend and I are looking to join one.  Thank you.

Blackheath comes to mind, as I used to sub on a 9 hole tuesday league there. It was a Lutheran bunch of guys, and the league has been together for decades. If Blackheath seems doable, give them a call.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 1/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/couples-left-without-a-venue-after-country-club-closes/?fbclid=IwAR2o5zM7Xz3Lzv024awHMhAEpJhQi8DP14_PVSz7RIb_yNxa6p-BqucV0Mo

They're turning Lincoln Country Club into houses.  That's a bit of a bummer - glad I got to play a few rounds there this past year!

I'm surprised it took that long, tbqh.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

You guys excited for Maple Hill's indoor inventory clearance sale next week?

I went and kinda wish I hadn't, it was packed.  Would've been nice if they'd just had DeVos Place to themselves and kept it there.  Some decent deals.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, reperna said:

Well, I've booked my first trip of the year. Heading to arcadia the end of may. Would love to try and figure something out for american dunes this year also. Anyone else have any booked yet?

We've got a group booked at American Dunes in May.  Looking forward to it.  Nothing else planned yet, a lot of guys are definitely waiting until they're vaxxed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, postfold said:

I went and kinda wish I hadn't, it was packed.  Would've been nice if they'd just had DeVos Place to themselves and kept it there.  Some decent deals.

We've got a group booked at American Dunes in May.  Looking forward to it.  Nothing else planned yet, a lot of guys are definitely waiting until they're vaxxed.

Nice! we found an open tee time the first sunday of june. Pretty excited to check it out

1 hour ago, postfold said:

I honestly feel like the deals at Maple Hill weren't all that amazing.  I got the same, or better, deals on the few times I stopped in last summer.  Though, I did appreciate them opening up "the vault" of used clubs - I found a MacGregor wedge in their basement that'll pair nicely with the irons I picked up this winter.

Pertaining to Lincoln, my dad and uncles played leagues there in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, so there's a lot of allure there - you know how dads and uncles weave tales of grandiose and all that; Lincoln was that course.  Sentimental and all that jazz.

Edited by HappyGilmoresBoots

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

My hand is continuing to heal.  Physical therapy is helping.  I have four more weeks of that.  I am going to try and swing this weekend after 5 weeks off to see how it feels. 

• Like 2

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Good luck with the hand. I had 8 weeks of therapy a couple years ago for my left (leading) wrist (ECU tendonitis with chronic subluxation). Sucked. But I'll tell you what, wrist felt great after and continues to be much better. I was at a point where I couldn't even lift a club any more with my left hand. So much pain. Golf injuries suck.

• Like 1

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

OK, Michigan peeps, let’s see if we can spur some mid-winter activity on this thread.  

What Michigan courses are you looking forward to playing this coming season?   

I’m on the West Michigan coastline, so besides my regular club rounds and possibly some local tourneys, my wife and I usually head up to Hemlock once every summer.  Then I try to play at least one round someplace I’ve never played before.  I keep a list of all courses I’ve ever played so I like to see that list continue to grow.  On my radar for this summer is The Falls at Barber Creek or Quail Ridge.  

How about you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dobesbsoon said:

OK, Michigan peeps, let’s see if we can spur some mid-winter activity on this thread.  

I’m on the West Michigan coastline, so besides my regular club rounds and possibly some local tourneys, my wife and I usually head up to Hemlock once every summer.  Then I try to play at least one round someplace I’ve never played before.  I keep a list of all courses I’ve ever played so I like to see that list continue to grow.  On my radar for this summer is The Falls at Barber Creek or Quail Ridge.  

How about you?

The Falls is a fun course.  I've never played Quail Ridge and should put that on my list.  

American Dunes is on the list for early in the season.  Hoping to finally play the South Course at Arcadia at some point too.

Going to be extra eager for the season to hurry up and get here after what's on tap weatherwise for the next week.  I don't mind having an offseason but by February I'm as recharged as I'm going to be.

3 hours ago, dobesbsoon said:

How about you?

I've got my eyes on Diamond Springs and on The Ravines this year.  We'll see though.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

My dad and I had a trip to Arcadia planned last year, but had to cancel. He just got his first vaccine dose yesterday, so I'm hoping we'll be able to do that this year. I've played the original Bluffs course, but I'm looking forward to checking out the South.

I'm also really hoping I can get through a GAM Championship qualifier, which would give me a chance to play Franklin Hills CC.

16 hours ago, dobesbsoon said:

How about you?

Hemlock is an awesome course and totally off most people's radars! Very affordable, too.

I have a mid-May trip to Forest Dunes planned, crossing my fingers the weather is decent. We'll play all three courses once, the short course a few times, and either Dream or Nightmare on our drive home.

Hoping to coordinate another trip up to Arcadia at some point later in the year. The Bluffs course speaks for itself with respect to its views, but I REALLY enjoyed the South. And we'd like to hit the nearby Pinecroft and Champion Hills courses. We've all heard great things about both but have yet to play either.

February will surely be frigid and miserable here in metro Detroit, but planning trips helps scratch the itch!

• Like 1

Ive got a golf trip to arcadia the end of may, playing both the bluffs and south. The backing it up with American dunes the weekend after. Currently trying to book a trip to erin hills at some point. As for new courses, I have a buddy trying to get us onto meadowbrook, which im super excited about. Also I'd like to check out the UofM courses. I have never played them. 

Forest Dunes, American Dunes, and Fazio course at Treetops are definitely on the list because those are the few I haven't played in Michigan. Hoping Boyne does another Masters flash sale, then I'll do Bay Harbor.  The big bucket list I'm hoping for this year is out of state with the Big Cedar courses in Missouri and Sand Valley courses in Wisconsin.

Does anyone know if Forest Dunes will name there short course?  I hope it's not called short course at Forest Dunes.