Jump to content

All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)


Recommended Posts

Wait, did I miss the whole gist of the Groundhog Day thing?  I thought the whole thing was a totally tongue-in-cheek approach:  If he sees his shadow, a long 6 more weeks of winter...if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will be here in only 6 more weeks.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made some major progress today

Headed to the UP in June to play Sweetgrass and Greywalls.  I can't wait. 

I just played last week as well for first time, and is also my new favorite course.  My two minor complaints would be... 1.  One of the iconic holes (hole 12 I think) is under construction, and t

Posted Images

18 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

Wait, did I miss the whole gist of the Groundhog Day thing?  I thought the whole thing was a totally tongue-in-cheek approach:  If he sees his shadow, a long 6 more weeks of winter...if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will be here in only 6 more weeks.

 

So what you are saying is the 6 weeks seem to be the key to this whole thing?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I are going up to Treetops this summer for one night and two rounds.  We picked up their Michigan Golf Show deal.  It’ll be our first visit to Treetops and first trip leaving the kids overnight with grandparents.  
 

The package deal includes the Fazio and the Tradition.  I was thinking of skipping the Tradition but which course would you rather play, the Jones or the Smith Signature? Just looking for opinions, I don’t think I can make a wrong choice.  I know everybody will say to make sure to play Threetops, but I’m not sure time will allow.  Consider it duly noted...
 

Also, how is their on-property restaurant?   Decent enough for a good dinner after golf?   Otherwise, any recommendations relatively close to the resort?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dobesbsoon said:

My wife and I are going up to Treetops this summer for one night and two rounds.  We picked up their Michigan Golf Show deal.  It’ll be our first visit to Treetops and first trip leaving the kids overnight with grandparents.  
 

The package deal includes the Fazio and the Tradition.  I was thinking of skipping the Tradition but which course would you rather play, the Jones or the Smith Signature? Just looking for opinions, I don’t think I can make a wrong choice.  I know everybody will say to make sure to play Threetops, but I’m not sure time will allow.  Consider it duly noted...
 

Also, how is their on-property restaurant?   Decent enough for a good dinner after golf?   Otherwise, any recommendations relatively close to the resort?  

IMO, the Jones is the worst of the Treetops courses. Signature is probably the best.

Gaylord isn’t the greatest for restaurants, especially if you want something on the nicer side. Snowbelt brewing is casual, and not bad.

  • Like 2

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't change a thing about the course itinerary. Masterpiece and Signature can beat you up, Tradition has a nice mix of holes and the greens are always in better shape than the rest of the courses...it's always my favorite round when we play up there. I've played every course there at least 6x.

Edited by ten8suited
Link to post
Share on other sites

I threw a jumbo grip on my 8 iron to see if that helped with my hand pain.  It was night and day better.  They really limit my hand motion and keeps the pain away.  That is good, but I can't seem to get through the ball so everything is a push fade (according to my Mevo+), but that seems to make sense.  

 

So I am going to have to do some work on my swing and think about equipment to offset that.  

 

Onward!

 

I can almost see my whole front yard.  Looks like maybe golf in Michigan in March.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping to play next week Sunday. Not sure how far south I need to drive to play. We’ll know more end of next week. Anyone know if anything is open in Indiana. 

 

TaylorMade Sim 2 10.5 (9.75) deg Tensei AV Raw White 60X

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Callaway X-Forged 21 & 24 TI DG S400 Utility Irons

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, golfortennis said:

 

So what you are saying is the 6 weeks seem to be the key to this whole thing?

I thought the whole thing was a whole tongue-in-cheek parody about how it didn't actually matter whether or not Phil saw his shadow.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Hoping to play next week Sunday. Not sure how far south I need to drive to play. We’ll know more end of next week. Anyone know if anything is open in Indiana. 

 

 

With the forecast this week, you might find a course or two open in Michigan. 

  • Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dino81 said:

Anyone happen to get this email from Fieldstone? I don't play there often because I thought it was already a touch over priced. Imagine showing up expecting to pay $71 and they ask for $92.30...

 

image.png.8334c0ec6360c7bc2a1dbddf96d39d81.png

 

I won't be playing there unless they do some Group Golfer discounts.    With so many people learning golf during the pandemic, courses will be charging higher rates.    It's supply and demand.  We've been blessed with low rates for many years compared to other states.   I expect all courses to raise their rates.

 

30%, not a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm headed to the Traverse City area this summer on a family vacation and started looking at tee times, and stumbled upon some big-time sticker shock.  Weekday mid-morning rate on Boyne Golf's site for Bay Harbor Links/Quarry.............$334!  Granted, there are morning times available at $255, but I didn't expect the price to be that high for a mid-week round.  Looks like I'll be teeing up at Forest Dunes at a fraction of the cost.

 

 

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gdane said:

I'm headed to the Traverse City area this summer on a family vacation and started looking at tee times, and stumbled upon some big-time sticker shock.  Weekday mid-morning rate on Boyne Golf's site for Bay Harbor Links/Quarry.............$334!  Granted, there are morning times available at $255, but I didn't expect the price to be that high for a mid-week round.  Looks like I'll be teeing up at Forest Dunes at a fraction of the cost.

 

 

yeah, the price they charge to play Bay Harbor by itself is insane. The only way to play is if you book it with a stay play, then I think its actually a good deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Gdane said:

I'm headed to the Traverse City area this summer on a family vacation and started looking at tee times, and stumbled upon some big-time sticker shock.  Weekday mid-morning rate on Boyne Golf's site for Bay Harbor Links/Quarry.............$334!  Granted, there are morning times available at $255, but I didn't expect the price to be that high for a mid-week round.  Looks like I'll be teeing up at Forest Dunes at a fraction of the cost.

 

 

They usually have a flash Masters sale where you pay the winner of the Masters final score.  The year I went I payed like $70, but it was for Quarry/Preserve and couldn't have Links as option.  It is a great deal but have to book right away.  The sale lasts maybe 3-5 days but don't have to pay until you get to course, just have to have credit card on file to reserve tee time.  Hope they do it this year, it is one of my favs!!  So when the Masters ends look on Facebook, Instagram or their website to see if they have that sale. I think it's for for every course they own just doesn't include the links.

Edited by Timbo Slice
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone get out yet this spring? I walked 12 holes at Twin Lakes yesterday and made an eagle on #7. I was super pumped because I only made one all of last season and it didn't happen until October. Greens were slow AF. I easily could have shot 3-4 under if I could have got the ball to the hole.

 

The Sim2 driver is awesome btw 👌

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

Anyone get out yet this spring? I walked 12 holes at Twin Lakes yesterday and made an eagle on #7. I was super pumped because I only made one all of last season and it didn't happen until October. Greens were slow AF. I easily could have shot 3-4 under if I could have got the ball to the hole.

 

The Sim2 driver is awesome btw 👌

I have been out for 5 9 hole rounds and 1 18, it is really just nice to be outside in the sun again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I walked 11 holes last Sunday.  I have been hitting in garage as well quite a bit the past two weeks to get my swing in shape.  I have an iron fitting at Miles tomorrow, which I am excited about.  I need to switch to graphite shafts through the bag to help manage the arthritis in my hand. 

 

I am able to swing pain free thanks to a bunch of PT, a cortisone injection and now Jumbo grips across my clubs.  New Grips and a mechanical change of how I grip the club have had me working on my setup and swing to adjust and I am starting to see some good results.  I went from being very worried about this season to being excited. 

  • Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

 

That's alot of rounds this early! I've been playing, just in Florida (been three times in 2021...plus one AZ trip 😜).

What can I say I've missed it and made a lot of swing changes (or i just want to hit my TSI 3 lol). I am heading to AZ in a couple of days, looking forward to wearing shorts on the course instead of sweatpants under my rain pants.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Walked nine yesterday and hit every fairway and every green.  Probably won't happen rest of the year.

 

New Mizuno JPX Forged on order with Steelfibers.  I can't wait till they are here.

 

Working with Armlock putter and initial results were not good, but once I figured out a way different setup, it might be deadly.  

 

Hope to see some of you this year out on the course.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knickerbocker said:

Walked nine yesterday and hit every fairway and every green.  Probably won't happen rest of the year.

 

New Mizuno JPX Forged on order with Steelfibers.  I can't wait till they are here.

 

Working with Armlock putter and initial results were not good, but once I figured out a way different setup, it might be deadly.  

 

Hope to see some of you this year out on the course.

Which Steelfibers did you go with?  I played the 110 stiff for a couple years when I battled golfers elbow.  After a break and minimal hitting irons off mats in the winter, I was able to go back to steel (I blame it on C tapers for too many years).  Curious which armlock putter you picked up?  I ended up picking up a Sik arm lock (same putter as Bryson) with LA golf shaft late last fall.  Its definitely an adjustment with longer putts, but has a lot of potential.  

TaylorMade Sim 2 10.5 (9.75) deg Tensei AV Raw White 60X

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Callaway X-Forged 21 & 24 TI DG S400 Utility Irons

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Which Steelfibers did you go with?  I played the 110 stiff for a couple years when I battled golfers elbow.  After a break and minimal hitting irons off mats in the winter, I was able to go back to steel (I blame it on C tapers for too many years).  Curious which armlock putter you picked up?  I ended up picking up a Sik arm lock (same putter as Bryson) with LA golf shaft late last fall.  Its definitely an adjustment with longer putts, but has a lot of potential.  

 

I am in the 110 stiff as well.  I don't see my hand issues going away and I am hoping that I can play without a brace when I make the switch.  C Tapers definitely ruined my shoulder and elbow as well, but those shafts are soooooo good.  My wife bought me an Odyssey for Christmas.  I did not want to drop serious coin on a Betti or Sik for an experiment.  I have found I need to widen my stance a lot to roll it well. 

  • Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, 1puttTUT said:

Anyone get out yet this spring? I walked 12 holes at Twin Lakes yesterday and made an eagle on #7. I was super pumped because I only made one all of last season and it didn't happen until October. Greens were slow AF. I easily could have shot 3-4 under if I could have got the ball to the hole.

 

The Sim2 driver is awesome btw 👌

Played my first nine holes of the year in Traverse City at the Crown as a test run to see if I want to buy a membership for 2021.  The course isn't very long, 6661 from the tips with only 4 par 4s over 400y.  Can anyone recommend a better place to get reasonable membership in the TC area that would be better or more challenging? The year membership is $1550 and includes anytime golf with cart, driving range and a 10% discount at the restaurant and pro shop.

  • Like 1

Cobra SZ Xtreme 10.5, LAGolf Ulyss 55R 45.25"
Taylormade SimMax 3W Riptide CB 65R 43"
Cobra F9 5/6 Atmos Blue S 42.50"
Taylormade SIM Hybrid 22*
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX f3
Ping Glide 3.0 54 DG 120 S
PING Glide 3.0 58* DG120 S
Cleveland Huntington Soft Premier 11 38.5"
Taylormade 2021 TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AmazinBlue said:

Played my first nine holes of the year in Traverse City at the Crown as a test run to see if I want to buy a membership for 2021.  The course isn't very long, 6661 from the tips with only 4 par 4s over 400y.  Can anyone recommend a better place to get reasonable membership in the TC area that would be better or more challenging? The year membership is $1550 and includes anytime golf with cart, driving range and a 10% discount at the restaurant and pro shop.

 

Bahle Farms or Manitou would be ones I would look at.  I think both of those would be similar lengths to the Crown though. 

 

Not sure if The Bear does memberships, but playing there all the time might drive you to quit golf. 

 

 

  • Haha 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 138 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...