All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Wait, did I miss the whole gist of the Groundhog Day thing?  I thought the whole thing was a totally tongue-in-cheek approach:  If he sees his shadow, a long 6 more weeks of winter...if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will be here in only 6 more weeks.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made some major progress today

Headed to the UP in June to play Sweetgrass and Greywalls.  I can't wait. 

I just played last week as well for first time, and is also my new favorite course.  My two minor complaints would be... 1.  One of the iconic holes (hole 12 I think) is under construction, and t

Posted Images

18 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

Wait, did I miss the whole gist of the Groundhog Day thing?  I thought the whole thing was a totally tongue-in-cheek approach:  If he sees his shadow, a long 6 more weeks of winter...if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will be here in only 6 more weeks.

So what you are saying is the 6 weeks seem to be the key to this whole thing?

• Like 1

My wife and I are going up to Treetops this summer for one night and two rounds.  We picked up their Michigan Golf Show deal.  It’ll be our first visit to Treetops and first trip leaving the kids overnight with grandparents.  

The package deal includes the Fazio and the Tradition.  I was thinking of skipping the Tradition but which course would you rather play, the Jones or the Smith Signature? Just looking for opinions, I don’t think I can make a wrong choice.  I know everybody will say to make sure to play Threetops, but I’m not sure time will allow.  Consider it duly noted...

Also, how is their on-property restaurant?   Decent enough for a good dinner after golf?   Otherwise, any recommendations relatively close to the resort?  

5 hours ago, dobesbsoon said:

My wife and I are going up to Treetops this summer for one night and two rounds.  We picked up their Michigan Golf Show deal.  It’ll be our first visit to Treetops and first trip leaving the kids overnight with grandparents.  

The package deal includes the Fazio and the Tradition.  I was thinking of skipping the Tradition but which course would you rather play, the Jones or the Smith Signature? Just looking for opinions, I don’t think I can make a wrong choice.  I know everybody will say to make sure to play Threetops, but I’m not sure time will allow.  Consider it duly noted...

Also, how is their on-property restaurant?   Decent enough for a good dinner after golf?   Otherwise, any recommendations relatively close to the resort?  

IMO, the Jones is the worst of the Treetops courses. Signature is probably the best.

Gaylord isn’t the greatest for restaurants, especially if you want something on the nicer side. Snowbelt brewing is casual, and not bad.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I wouldn't change a thing about the course itinerary. Masterpiece and Signature can beat you up, Tradition has a nice mix of holes and the greens are always in better shape than the rest of the courses...it's always my favorite round when we play up there. I've played every course there at least 6x.

Edited by ten8suited

I threw a jumbo grip on my 8 iron to see if that helped with my hand pain.  It was night and day better.  They really limit my hand motion and keeps the pain away.  That is good, but I can't seem to get through the ball so everything is a push fade (according to my Mevo+), but that seems to make sense.  

So I am going to have to do some work on my swing and think about equipment to offset that.  

Onward!

I can almost see my whole front yard.  Looks like maybe golf in Michigan in March.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Stoke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

Ball: -ProV1x

Hoping to play next week Sunday. Not sure how far south I need to drive to play. We’ll know more end of next week. Anyone know if anything is open in Indiana. 

TaylorMade Sim 2 10.5 (9.75) deg Tensei AV Raw White 60X

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Callaway X-Forged 21 & 24 TI DG S400 Utility Irons

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

On 2/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, golfortennis said:

So what you are saying is the 6 weeks seem to be the key to this whole thing?

I thought the whole thing was a whole tongue-in-cheek parody about how it didn't actually matter whether or not Phil saw his shadow.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

17 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Hoping to play next week Sunday. Not sure how far south I need to drive to play. We’ll know more end of next week. Anyone know if anything is open in Indiana. 

With the forecast this week, you might find a course or two open in Michigan. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

5 hours ago, Dino81 said:

Anyone happen to get this email from Fieldstone? I don't play there often because I thought it was already a touch over priced. Imagine showing up expecting to pay $71 and they ask for $92.30...

image.png.8334c0ec6360c7bc2a1dbddf96d39d81.png

I won't be playing there unless they do some Group Golfer discounts.    With so many people learning golf during the pandemic, courses will be charging higher rates.    It's supply and demand.  We've been blessed with low rates for many years compared to other states.   I expect all courses to raise their rates.

30%, not a chance.

I'm headed to the Traverse City area this summer on a family vacation and started looking at tee times, and stumbled upon some big-time sticker shock.  Weekday mid-morning rate on Boyne Golf's site for Bay Harbor Links/Quarry.............$334!  Granted, there are morning times available at $255, but I didn't expect the price to be that high for a mid-week round.  Looks like I'll be teeing up at Forest Dunes at a fraction of the cost.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

1 hour ago, Gdane said:

I'm headed to the Traverse City area this summer on a family vacation and started looking at tee times, and stumbled upon some big-time sticker shock.  Weekday mid-morning rate on Boyne Golf's site for Bay Harbor Links/Quarry.............$334!  Granted, there are morning times available at $255, but I didn't expect the price to be that high for a mid-week round.  Looks like I'll be teeing up at Forest Dunes at a fraction of the cost.

yeah, the price they charge to play Bay Harbor by itself is insane. The only way to play is if you book it with a stay play, then I think its actually a good deal.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Gdane said:

They usually have a flash Masters sale where you pay the winner of the Masters final score.  The year I went I payed like $70, but it was for Quarry/Preserve and couldn't have Links as option.  It is a great deal but have to book right away.  The sale lasts maybe 3-5 days but don't have to pay until you get to course, just have to have credit card on file to reserve tee time.  Hope they do it this year, it is one of my favs!!  So when the Masters ends look on Facebook, Instagram or their website to see if they have that sale. I think it's for for every course they own just doesn't include the links.

Edited by Timbo Slice
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone get out yet this spring? I walked 12 holes at Twin Lakes yesterday and made an eagle on #7. I was super pumped because I only made one all of last season and it didn't happen until October. Greens were slow AF. I easily could have shot 3-4 under if I could have got the ball to the hole.

The Sim2 driver is awesome btw 👌

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

Anyone get out yet this spring? I walked 12 holes at Twin Lakes yesterday and made an eagle on #7. I was super pumped because I only made one all of last season and it didn't happen until October. Greens were slow AF. I easily could have shot 3-4 under if I could have got the ball to the hole.

I have been out for 5 9 hole rounds and 1 18, it is really just nice to be outside in the sun again.

• Like 2

I walked 11 holes last Sunday.  I have been hitting in garage as well quite a bit the past two weeks to get my swing in shape.  I have an iron fitting at Miles tomorrow, which I am excited about.  I need to switch to graphite shafts through the bag to help manage the arthritis in my hand. 

I am able to swing pain free thanks to a bunch of PT, a cortisone injection and now Jumbo grips across my clubs.  New Grips and a mechanical change of how I grip the club have had me working on my setup and swing to adjust and I am starting to see some good results.  I went from being very worried about this season to being excited. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

13 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

That's alot of rounds this early! I've been playing, just in Florida (been three times in 2021...plus one AZ trip 😜).

What can I say I've missed it and made a lot of swing changes (or i just want to hit my TSI 3 lol). I am heading to AZ in a couple of days, looking forward to wearing shorts on the course instead of sweatpants under my rain pants.

• Like 1

Walked nine yesterday and hit every fairway and every green.  Probably won't happen rest of the year.

New Mizuno JPX Forged on order with Steelfibers.  I can't wait till they are here.

Working with Armlock putter and initial results were not good, but once I figured out a way different setup, it might be deadly.  

Hope to see some of you this year out on the course.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

1 hour ago, knickerbocker said:

Walked nine yesterday and hit every fairway and every green.  Probably won't happen rest of the year.

New Mizuno JPX Forged on order with Steelfibers.  I can't wait till they are here.

Working with Armlock putter and initial results were not good, but once I figured out a way different setup, it might be deadly.  

Hope to see some of you this year out on the course.

Which Steelfibers did you go with?  I played the 110 stiff for a couple years when I battled golfers elbow.  After a break and minimal hitting irons off mats in the winter, I was able to go back to steel (I blame it on C tapers for too many years).  Curious which armlock putter you picked up?  I ended up picking up a Sik arm lock (same putter as Bryson) with LA golf shaft late last fall.  Its definitely an adjustment with longer putts, but has a lot of potential.  

TaylorMade Sim 2 10.5 (9.75) deg Tensei AV Raw White 60X

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Callaway X-Forged 21 & 24 TI DG S400 Utility Irons

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

4 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Which Steelfibers did you go with?  I played the 110 stiff for a couple years when I battled golfers elbow.  After a break and minimal hitting irons off mats in the winter, I was able to go back to steel (I blame it on C tapers for too many years).  Curious which armlock putter you picked up?  I ended up picking up a Sik arm lock (same putter as Bryson) with LA golf shaft late last fall.  Its definitely an adjustment with longer putts, but has a lot of potential.  

I am in the 110 stiff as well.  I don't see my hand issues going away and I am hoping that I can play without a brace when I make the switch.  C Tapers definitely ruined my shoulder and elbow as well, but those shafts are soooooo good.  My wife bought me an Odyssey for Christmas.  I did not want to drop serious coin on a Betti or Sik for an experiment.  I have found I need to widen my stance a lot to roll it well. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

On 3/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, 1puttTUT said:

Played my first nine holes of the year in Traverse City at the Crown as a test run to see if I want to buy a membership for 2021.  The course isn't very long, 6661 from the tips with only 4 par 4s over 400y.  Can anyone recommend a better place to get reasonable membership in the TC area that would be better or more challenging? The year membership is $1550 and includes anytime golf with cart, driving range and a 10% discount at the restaurant and pro shop.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ Xtreme 10.5, LAGolf Ulyss 55R 45.25"
Taylormade SimMax 3W Riptide CB 65R 43"
Cobra F9 5/6 Atmos Blue S 42.50"
Taylormade SIM Hybrid 22*
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX f3
Ping Glide 3.0 54 DG 120 S
PING Glide 3.0 58* DG120 S
Cleveland Huntington Soft Premier 11 38.5"
Taylormade 2021 TP5

8 hours ago, AmazinBlue said:

Played my first nine holes of the year in Traverse City at the Crown as a test run to see if I want to buy a membership for 2021.  The course isn't very long, 6661 from the tips with only 4 par 4s over 400y.  Can anyone recommend a better place to get reasonable membership in the TC area that would be better or more challenging? The year membership is $1550 and includes anytime golf with cart, driving range and a 10% discount at the restaurant and pro shop.

Bahle Farms or Manitou would be ones I would look at.  I think both of those would be similar lengths to the Crown though. 

Not sure if The Bear does memberships, but playing there all the time might drive you to quit golf. 

• Haha 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6