2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413322790' post='10286783']
Thanks for the support guys. I wrote the eulogy and attempted to present it but only made it through the first 2 sentences before I had the pastor step in and finish it for me.
[/quote]

Sorry for your loss man...

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Here are my numbers and report from my 915 fitting. Nick apologized for not cleaning up the report more so there are some real stinkers on there. I had not played prior to the fitting for over 3 weeks so I noticed my ball position had crept back in my stance which is what caused my unusual angle of attack. I am usually at -1.5 AoA and 9 ish launch. I originally wrote the incorrect setting that I used during the fitting also.

I did try about 7-8 shafts other than what is shown. We decided that I hit the Diamana 70x the most consistent and it was the easiest for me to work both ways. Nick also suggested that I tip it 2 inches to bring the spin down slightly so it will fall into the 22- 2300 range plus he said it will load more consistently for my move and swing speed. I like the look of the D3 better but the D2 was surprisingly giving me better numbers. I'm not arguing with more forgiveness. Any other questions Id be more than happy to answer and discuss things. [attachment=2458609:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413323924.126562.jpg][attachment=2458611:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413323970.159045.jpg][attachment=2458617:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413323999.128595.jpg][attachment=2458623:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413324017.420016.jpg]

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413322790' post='10286783']
Thanks for the support guys. I wrote the eulogy and attempted to present it but only made it through the first 2 sentences before I had the pastor step in and finish it for me.
[/quote]

I lost my grandpa this summer and it was the first close family member I had lost in so long, I had no idea how moving all of the things surrounding the funeral were. Embrace the emotions and you'll reflect back in due time about all the good times, I think we're around the same age so he must have lived a long and full life. If you need to take your mind off things in the next couple weeks just shoot me a message and we'll play a round on me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Thank you Swiz, I am currently spending some time with my grandma and my out of town family is in and we are sharing stories and all the jokes he used to tell.

Hey! They are looking for you out there...
Who?
The squirrels, they think you're nuts

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413324089' post='10286971']
Here are my numbers and report from my 915 fitting. Nick apologized for not cleaning up the report more so there are some real stinkers on there. I had not played prior to the fitting for over 3 weeks so I noticed my ball position had crept back in my stance which is what caused my unusual angle of attack. I am usually at -1.5 AoA and 9 ish launch. I originally wrote the incorrect setting that I used during the fitting also.

I did try about 7-8 shafts other than what is shown. We decided that I hit the Diamana 70x the most consistent and it was the easiest for me to work both ways. Nick also suggested that I tip it 2 inches to bring the spin down slightly so it will fall into the 22- 2300 range plus he said it will load more consistently for my move and swing speed. I like the look of the D3 better but the D2 was surprisingly giving me better numbers. I'm not arguing with more forgiveness. Any other questions Id be more than happy to answer and discuss things. [attachment=2458617:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413323999.128595.jpg]
[/quote]

Those are some stupid long drives sir. Can't imagine what a 0 or -1 AoA would do to that carry distance. I struggle with the same issue as I was hovering around -5 or -6 AoA during my fitting.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1413376015' post='10290793']

I did try about 7-8 shafts other than what is shown. We decided that I hit the Diamana 70x the most consistent and it was the easiest for me to work both ways. Nick also suggested that I tip it 2 inches to bring the spin down slightly so it will fall into the 22- 2300 range plus he said it will load more consistently for my move and swing speed. I like the look of the D3 better but the D2 was surprisingly giving me better numbers. I'm not arguing with more forgiveness. Any other questions Id be more than happy to answer and discuss things. [attachment=2458617:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413323999.128595.jpg]
[/quote]

Those are some stupid long drives sir. Can't imagine what a 0 or -1 AoA would do to that carry distance. I struggle with the same issue as I was hovering around -5 or -6 AoA during my fitting.
[/quote]

I'm double checking a few things in my email report before posting a write up but you are so right. I went from -8 the first time I hit on trackman for the first time a few years ago to +2-+6 yesterday and the numbers change dramatically.

Other numbers of note were 1.51, 1.52, 1.52, 1.51 smash with 4 swings with the 915 hybrid and similar numbers with the 3 wood. I hit a 16.5* 915F as far as driver. The woods and hybrids are so legit, I know I'm beating a dead horse as the 4th or 5th in this thread alone to go hit them but they really were improved.

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413326288' post='10287305']
Thank you Swiz, I am currently spending some time with my grandma and my out of town family is in and we are sharing stories and all the jokes he used to tell.

Hey! They are looking for you out there...
Who?
The squirrels, they think you're nuts
[/quote]

Sorry for your loss buzz

Ping G400 LST 8.5° ~ AD-IZ 6s
Titleist 915 16.5° F ~ AD-GT 7s
Titleist 915 21° H ~ AD-DI 85s
Epon AF-302 4-PW ~ Recoil Proto 110s
Miura 1957 51°| 55° | 59° ~ Recoil Proto 110s
EVNRoll ER3

[/quote]

[/quote]

about 2 monhths ago i had a trackman session when I was swinging my best and zeroing out my AoA and I was getting 11-12 launch and 2100 rpm with 320+ carries. I really dont feel like I need the distance. If my AoA is -4 and i am hitting fairways I dont see any problems unless I am hitting into a stiff wind every hole. That being said... I am going to work on my attack angle this off season and then get another fitting in spring when all the new stuff is out. HINT: Titleist 915 is my front runner so far especially since I have been having bad luck with other oems lately.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1413376550' post='10290835']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm double checking a few things in my email report before posting a write up but you are so right. I went from -8 the first time I hit on trackman for the first time a few years ago to +2-+6 yesterday and the numbers change dramatically.

Other numbers of note were 1.51, 1.52, 1.52, 1.51 smash with 4 swings with the 915 hybrid and similar numbers with the 3 wood. I hit a 16.5* 915F as far as driver. The woods and hybrids are so legit, I know I'm beating a dead horse as the 4th or 5th in this thread alone to go hit them but they really were improved.
[/quote]

What were the numbers?

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413383482' post='10291693']

about 2 monhths ago i had a trackman session when I was swinging my best and zeroing out my AoA and I was getting 11-12 launch and 2100 rpm with 320+ carries. I really dont feel like I need the distance. If my AoA is -4 and i am hitting fairways I dont see any problems unless I am hitting into a stiff wind every hole. That being said... I am going to work on my attack angle this off season and then get another fitting in spring when all the new stuff is out. HINT: Titleist 915 is my front runner so far especially since I have been having bad luck with other oems lately.
[/quote]

I am with you guys on AoA (but I am a short hitter). I have found that the more I try to increase the AoA on my driver to 0 or positive, the more messed up my game gets. I usually am (85% of the time) a really good iron player and can hits lots of good shots. It has become a strength of my game. I am just not good enough to have a different setup and swing with my driver. I have been working the last few weeks on getting a more stack and tilt move back into my swing because it helps me be more engaged with my legs and body compared to just arms. I tend to default to being an arm swinger and when I lose the leg action, my ball striking goes south fast. But with that stack and tilt move, I really hit down on the ball even more. But I am hitting fairways and hitting it long enough, so no complaints!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I took a lesson Wednesday night, and man, I wish I'd done so before Valhalla. This summer, I've gotten into a habit of falling a little forward with my body on the downswing (kind of the stack and tilt move that KB is talking about, but for me, that's bad), which has caused my swing path to move to an outside in direction through the ball (not dramatically, but anywhere from 2-4 degrees), which is a power sucking move that generates extra spin and a more negative AoA than I want. I've been able to compensate for the most part to drive it pretty accurately, but sometimes (including a couple holes at Valhalla), it gets more magnified and goes way right and also doesn't go anywhere. I'd been working on correcting that move, by concentrating on moving my right shoulder toward the ball (on plane, hopefully), so my right shoulder is lower than my left at impact, which is a characteristic you'll see of basically all good ball strikers. I had been really inconsistent at doing that correctly, with a lot of shots that were a little fat or thin. It turns out that all I really need to do to get everything working right is to alter my backswing path a little bit to make it feel like I'm taking it back inside, which puts me in a position at the top to just return it on plane to the ball on an in to out path. The backswing path seems inside, but really my swing plane is angled a few degrees right of the target line, so the club is on plane the whole way. The result, on the lesson tee, at least, was that beautiful 3 yard high draw that looks so beautiful (and it was working with the driver, as well). The best part is, it's a pretty easy tendency to break, so I don't expect a lot of issue taking it from the range to the course.
We also worked on my putting a little bit, and I finally got some confirmation about what I've thought was my biggest problem. The arms should basically go straight back and through on a flat plane, but mine are getting inside the plane both back and through, as a result of a stroke that is using too much arm action (and probably not enough core stability due to me being a fat a**, which I'm also working on correcting), which is also a stroke that requires a lot of timing and luck to get the ball started on line. This is a more long-term re-training, I think, but feeling like the lat muscles in the back are driving the stroke seems to be keeping my arms from getting off plane. I have a lot of practice in the mirror ahead to try to get that ingrained.

If only I was going to be able to keep working on this on course for much longer. :censored2:

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1413550439' post='10304337']
I took a lesson Wednesday night, and man, I wish I'd done so before Valhalla. This summer, I've gotten into a habit of falling a little forward with my body on the downswing (kind of the stack and tilt move that KB is talking about, but for me, that's bad), which has caused my swing path to move to an outside in direction through the ball (not dramatically, but anywhere from 2-4 degrees), which is a power sucking move that generates extra spin and a more negative AoA than I want. I've been able to compensate for the most part to drive it pretty accurately, but sometimes (including a couple holes at Valhalla), it gets more magnified and goes way right and also doesn't go anywhere. I'd been working on correcting that move, by concentrating on moving my right shoulder toward the ball (on plane, hopefully), so my right shoulder is lower than my left at impact, which is a characteristic you'll see of basically all good ball strikers. I had been really inconsistent at doing that correctly, with a lot of shots that were a little fat or thin. It turns out that all I really need to do to get everything working right is to alter my backswing path a little bit to make it feel like I'm taking it back inside, which puts me in a position at the top to just return it on plane to the ball on an in to out path. The backswing path seems inside, but really my swing plane is angled a few degrees right of the target line, so the club is on plane the whole way. The result, on the lesson tee, at least, was that beautiful 3 yard high draw that looks so beautiful (and it was working with the driver, as well). The best part is, it's a pretty easy tendency to break, so I don't expect a lot of issue taking it from the range to the course.
We also worked on my putting a little bit, and I finally got some confirmation about what I've thought was my biggest problem. The arms should basically go straight back and through on a flat plane, but mine are getting inside the plane both back and through, as a result of a stroke that is using too much arm action (and probably not enough core stability due to me being a fat a**, which I'm also working on correcting), which is also a stroke that requires a lot of timing and luck to get the ball started on line. This is a more long-term re-training, I think, but feeling like the lat muscles in the back are driving the stroke seems to be keeping my arms from getting off plane. I have a lot of practice in the mirror ahead to try to get that ingrained.

If only I was going to be able to keep working on this on course for much longer. :censored:
[/quote]

Sounds like the same problem that crept into my driver swing this year. When you are setting up for the draw and it fades/slices and takes about 20 yards of distance off and lands you in the trees....or worse. I wish I had the discipline to take a lesson or two. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Are you going back to Cali again this winter or was that a temporary thing? What a tease playing golf year round for a year then back to this winter nonsense.

Last night I spent a lot of time looking at indoor putting greens to scratch that winter golf itch. I have never had the space to purchase one but now that we have moved into a house I think the time is right. I also work from home so it would be a great distraction on those long conference calls. Anybody have any experience with the BirdieBall or TourLinks? Those are the two most reasonably priced from what I've seen so far.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1413551316' post='10304403']
Sounds like the same problem that crept into my driver swing this year. When you are setting up for the draw and it fades/slices and takes about 20 yards of distance off and lands you in the trees....or worse. I wish I had the discipline to take a lesson or two. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Are you going back to Cali again this winter or was that a temporary thing? What a tease playing golf year round for a year then back to this winter nonsense.

Last night I spent a lot of time looking at indoor putting greens to scratch that winter golf itch. I have never had the space to purchase one but now that we have moved into a house I think the time is right. I also work from home so it would be a great distraction on those long conference calls. Anybody have any experience with the BirdieBall or TourLinks? Those are the two most reasonably priced from what I've seen so far.
[/quote]
I had actually gotten myself to start aiming down the left side of the fairway (scary for someone who had played a draw/fought a hook for over a decade), and drove it probably as accurately as I ever have for the span of about a month, but it was a band-aid that tended to fail when pressure crept in (GAM Four-Ball, a little bit, and Valhalla were examples). I knew it wasn't how I wanted to play it long-term, and I thought it might be something that would take a while to get corrected, and it's hard to do that in the middle of the season when you're trying to get ready for tournaments and things like that.

Unfortunately, the Cali thing was a one-time deal. Honestly, I would probably move back there permanently if it wasn't for some job and family realities. I really don't know how I'm going to deal with winter. I'm guessing I'm going to be unpleasant to be around.

I have the 12' birdieball mat -- it's basically a big slab of foam, but it does roll pretty nicely compared to a lot of the practice mats out there.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The BB green is definitely the most appealing price wise. I can get a 9' x 3' green for $110, which is anywhere from a third to a quarter of the cost of others. However, from reviews I read on here it just just a piece of foam with no base to it. Others, like TourLinks, have a sturdy base to it, but the size that I would want is $450. I think for my purposes the BB would work fine. The basic gist of the reviews was it looks kind of shabby, but performs well as long as you have it on a firm surface.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1413553857' post='10304563']
The BB green is definitely the most appealing price wise. I can get a 9' x 3' green for $110, which is anywhere from a third to a quarter of the cost of others. However, from reviews I read on here it just just a piece of foam with no base to it. Others, like TourLinks, have a sturdy base to it, but the size that I would want is $450. I think for my purposes the BB would work fine. The basic gist of the reviews was it looks kind of shabby, but performs well as long as you have it on a firm surface.
[/quote]
If you're going to have it somewhere in your house where you are concerned with how it looks, the BB probably isn't for you. Mine is just in the basement, which in my house is a 1970s nightmare, which we basically just use for laundry, storage, my beer fridge and putting mat. I know when I got my BB, they had a deal going where you could get the next size up for the price of the next smallest one. I want to say I paid less than $100 for it, but I could be wrong.

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1413551316' post='10304403']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1413550439' post='10304337']

If only I was going to be able to keep working on this on course for much longer. :censored:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pro Putt Systems is what I'm getting for the new house

Ping G400 LST 8.5° ~ AD-IZ 6s
Titleist 915 16.5° F ~ AD-GT 7s
Titleist 915 21° H ~ AD-DI 85s
Epon AF-302 4-PW ~ Recoil Proto 110s
Miura 1957 51°| 55° | 59° ~ Recoil Proto 110s
EVNRoll ER3

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1413555474' post='10304657']
[/quote]
If you're going to have it somewhere in your house where you are concerned with how it looks, the BB probably isn't for you. Mine is just in the basement, which in my house is a 1970s nightmare, which we basically just use for laundry, storage, my beer fridge and putting mat. I know when I got my BB, they had a deal going where you could get the next size up for the price of the next smallest one. I want to say I paid less than $100 for it, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Mine would be going in my office since the only thing we store in the basement is old furniture and spiders. Does yours lay flat? That would be my biggest concern about getting one that is not on the platform.

Doz, those Pro Putt Systems are serious. I was checking those out this morning. They are all a little bit too big for what I was thinking. If we finished our basement eventually those would be pretty sick though.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1413557658' post='10304805']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Mine would be going in my office since the only thing we store in the basement is old furniture and spiders. Does yours lay flat? That would be my biggest concern about getting one that is not on the platform.

Doz, those Pro Putt Systems are serious. I was checking those out this morning. They are all a little bit too big for what I was thinking. If we finished our basement eventually those would be pretty sick though.
[/quote]

I looked into this a few years ago. Was about to pull the trigger on one from Buckeye Greens (god that name sucks). It used the Tour Links custom platform (12X13) but had an upgraded carpet and would have accepted short chip shots. My issue was he wanted like 500 shipping. In the end I just use a very thin indoor/outdoor carpet on cement in the basement. It actually rolls very true and at about 12 stimp. I just wish I had a real hole to putt to.

Anyone find a good solution for a hole in the non-platform systems? Pretty sure the wife does not want me drilling into the basement.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Your basement has beer and a putting green. Obviously you have your priorities straight.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
It lays mostly flat if you leave it rolled out. The combination of basement floor and a little bit of unevenness in the mat provides some breaking putts. I've learned the reads from different spots, lol. It's pretty flat, though, and if you set some books or boxes on it to flatten out the edges, it should stay pretty flat.

to O.D.'s question, the BB is about a half inch thick, and has plastic cup inserts, along with thin plastic "flags", which make it so putts that hit the hole will stay in, though it's a little unforgiving for putts that might lip in on a real hole. If you leave the flags out, a lot of putts will hit the hard plastic of the cup or the hard floor and pop out.

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1413560291' post='10305015']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Your basement has beer and a putting green. Obviously you have your priorities straight.
[/quote]
LOL, you've seen it -- it's nothing to look at, but it does have the essentials.

I am taking back my basement from being a place with lots of toys with my TV to being a man cave. I am mounting Plasma on the wall and then I am putting in a practice green. My plan is to build a platform and then put down some nice turf and cups. I need to decide if I am going to use it for chipping - if so, I will need to use some pad under turf and get the right turf.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I have a long carpeted hallway I chip down during the winter, probably helps as much as putting because it keeps my hands/wrists/feel intact over the winter and then I can just move that impact feeling to a full swing when it warms up. If you have the room id do it for sure!

I just read that Greywalls is closed for the season, which is a harsh reminder that the season is just too short. Even here in Chicago the nice weekends are winding down.

I think its time to start looking into vacations.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1413503378' post='10302089']I am just not good enough to have a different setup and swing with my driver. I have been working the last few weeks on getting a more stack and tilt move back into my swing because it helps me be more engaged with my legs and body compared to just arms. I tend to default to being an arm swinger and when I lose the leg action, my ball striking goes south fast. But with that stack and tilt move, I really hit down on the ball even more. But I am hitting fairways and hitting it long enough, so no complaints!
[/quote]

Ok, philosophy time. I have heard a lot over the years about it being hard to be good at both driving the ball and being a good iron player, because they're two different swings. I don't think that's true. The swing is the swing, and the only difference is the low point of your swing. Sure, the driver is a little different, because the ball isn't on the ground, but it's really all about where the ball is in relation to the low point of the swing, which is why you play the driver toward your front foot, and the irons further back.

This is based mainly on my own personal experience, and my own swing flaws, but a steeper AoA may allow you to hit shots that feel solid, but it's also going to create launch characteristics that will rob you of distance. When you hit the ball on a steeper downward angle, you're going to get more spin, and it's going to go shorter than it could under normal conditions, and balloon in the wind. I personally cut about 500 RPM off my irons by reducing my AoA by a couple of degrees (to around -3-4 degrees on irons, and +1-2 with the driver), and that equals 5-10 extra yards with the irons (and more margin for error, IMO), and 10-15 with the driver. All of it, very controllable, and without a lot of adjustments that require a lot of work. And the two swings are basically the same, aside from ball position.

I guess the point of this rambling nonsense is that a lot of people have more potential to hit it far than they think. I'm a fat piece of s*** with a decent swing, and I can get it out there a good ways, and while there's physical limitations that prevent us from being animals like ThunderB, we don't have to accept that we're as long as we're going to get, and there are fairly simple things we can adjust to get the most out of our swings. From what I've seen, if you can swing a few degrees in to out, with a face slightly closed to that path, with positive AoA, with the driver, you'll maximize your driving distance. Same path and face with the irons with a -3 to -4.5 AoA, and you'll do well.

Sorry for the rambling post--just a few ideas I have about the swing.

So played yesterday and shot mid 70s with only using 4-Lob wedge and putter, something I have failed to do almost all year. Waiting on the new woods from Titleist. I wanted to say I had my maiden voyage with the TVD M-grind and absolutely love them. I have played the S grind for quite a few years and these new grinds really allow me to hit down and be aggressive without digging them. They really shine on punch, pitch, and chip shots. I never liked the M-grind on the SM5 wedges, but these TVDs feel and perform much different. Highly recommend!

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1413608847' post='10308649']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1413503378' post='10302089']I am just not good enough to have a different setup and swing with my driver. I have been working the last few weeks on getting a more stack and tilt move back into my swing because it helps me be more engaged with my legs and body compared to just arms. I tend to default to being an arm swinger and when I lose the leg action, my ball striking goes south fast. But with that stack and tilt move, I really hit down on the ball even more. But I am hitting fairways and hitting it long enough, so no complaints!
[/quote]

Ok, philosophy time. I have heard a lot over the years about it being hard to be good at both driving the ball and being a good iron player, because they're two different swings. I don't think that's true. The swing is the swing, and the only difference is the low point of your swing. Sure, the driver is a little different, because the ball isn't on the ground, but it's really all about where the ball is in relation to the low point of the swing, which is why you play the driver toward your front foot, and the irons further back.

This is based mainly on my own personal experience, and my own swing flaws, but a steeper AoA may allow you to hit shots that feel solid, but it's also going to create launch characteristics that will rob you of distance. When you hit the ball on a steeper downward angle, you're going to get more spin, and it's going to go shorter than it could under normal conditions, and balloon in the wind. I personally cut about 500 RPM off my irons by reducing my AoA by a couple of degrees (to around -3-4 degrees on irons, and +1-2 with the driver), and that equals 5-10 extra yards with the irons (and more margin for error, IMO), and 10-15 with the driver. All of it, very controllable, and without a lot of adjustments that require a lot of work. And the two swings are basically the same, aside from ball position.

I guess the point of this rambling nonsense is that a lot of people have more potential to hit it far than they think. I'm a fat piece of s*** with a decent swing, and I can get it out there a good ways, and while there's physical limitations that prevent us from being animals like ThunderB, we don't have to accept that we're as long as we're going to get, and there are fairly simple things we can adjust to get the most out of our swings. From what I've seen, if you can swing a few degrees in to out, with a face slightly closed to that path, with positive AoA, with the driver, you'll maximize your driving distance. Same path and face with the irons with a -3 to -4.5 AoA, and you'll do well.

[/quote]

[color=#282828]"From what I've seen, if you can swing a few degrees in to out, with a face slightly closed to that path, [b]with positive AoA, with the drive[/b]r, you'll maximize your driving distance. Same path and face with the irons[b] with a -3 to -4.5 AoA[/b], and you'll do well."[/color]

[color=#282828]so didn't you just describe 2 different swings?[/color]

[quote name='O.D.underpar' timestamp='1413558614' post='10304881']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I looked into this a few years ago. Was about to pull the trigger on one from Buckeye Greens (god that name sucks). It used the Tour Links custom platform (12X13) but had an upgraded carpet and would have accepted short chip shots. My issue was he wanted like 500 shipping. In the end I just use a very thin indoor/outdoor carpet on cement in the basement. It actually rolls very true and at about 12 stimp. I just wish I had a real hole to putt to.

Anyone find a good solution for a hole in the non-platform systems? Pretty sure the wife does not want me drilling into the basement.
[/quote]

saw this in "Sky mall" on the plane to Fla today....looked interesting....i would go with this or the putting puck
http://www.skymall.com/putt-a-round-putting-aid/26478GRP.html

[quote name='Sweet' timestamp='1413683437' post='10312293']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1413608847' post='10308649']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#282828]"From what I've seen, if you can swing a few degrees in to out, with a face slightly closed to that path, [b]with positive AoA, with the drive[/b]r, you'll maximize your driving distance. Same path and face with the irons[b] with a -3 to -4.5 AoA[/b], and you'll do well."[/color]

[color=#282828]so didn't you just describe 2 different swings?[/color]
[/quote]
It was 1 am. I blame the Black Russians.