All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

Sorry, need to vent...played my last round of the year last weekend, I think. Injured my thumb screwing around with my son this week. Crossing fingers for late start on winter. On a better note: tried that vanilla java porter (atwater brewery?) again and liked it much more than last time. Not sure why I thought it wasn't very good because I was wrong.

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1437946408' post='12023410']
[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1437939197' post='12022904']
Need a recommendation on shoes from the crew....

Currently using adizeros and realizing that these do too much damage to the greens (plus they are a reminder that I need to lose weight, LOL). Don't want to go full spikeless (not just a bunch of rubber nubs), but want something that can handle a 18 or 27 hole walk. Thoughts?
[/quote]
I really like my Lunar Control 3's. I don't walk a lot but they are very comfortable.
[/quote]

Seconded on the LC 3's. Had always worn the TW shoes and am a big fan of the TW 13's, but the Lunar Control 3's are fantastic. Very comfortable and very stable shoe.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Don't the LC's have the same issue as the adizeros? Looks like there's only 6 spikes to distribute weight per shoe. Or do the other features on the sole help with that? Hard to tell from pictures. I just know that when I'm walking around the greens, you can see my path afterwards. Not good....the newer model adizeros are better in this regard, but I only have one pair of those (plus 3 pair of the original model year that I'm looking to replace).

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1438008238' post='12027080']
Don't the LC's have the same issue as the adizeros? Looks like there's only 6 spikes to distribute weight per shoe. Or do the other features on the sole help with that? Hard to tell from pictures. I just know that when I'm walking around the greens, you can see my path afterwards. Not good....the newer model adizeros are better in this regard, but I only have one pair of those (plus 3 pair of the original model year that I'm looking to replace).
[/quote]

I haven't noticed this issue with my LC's. I had this issue with my TW 14s, but I haven't noticed it with the LC's. Obviously if you're standing in one location long enough, such as practicing a certain putt, then of course you'll leave an indentation, but haven't noticed it with general walking.

Speaking of spike issues, does anyone know of any facilities in MI that still allow metal spikes? Thinking of trying out the Champion Pro Stinger spikes on one of my lesser used pairs of shoes for a trip up in October and wondered if I'd be ok or not? Just concerned about slipping on the wet turf I'm expecting to play on. Only one I knew of was Pilgrims Run bc they were afraid of getting sued with all the steep slopes, but not sure if they allow them anymore.

TaylorMade TP5x 

I think the issue with the Adizero spikes is that the ports where the spikes go in stick out significantly from the sole, and all the weight goes onto those 6 spots, and since they're so far out there, they really dig into the turf. I have a pair of the original ones, and I don't really wear them anymore, because of that, and the fact that they're really not particularly comfortable, though the light weight is nice if you're walking.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1438010159' post='12027356']
I think the issue with the Adizero spikes is that the ports where the spikes go in stick out significantly from the sole, and all the weight goes onto those 6 spots, and since they're so far out there, they really dig into the turf. I have a pair of the original ones, and I don't really wear them anymore, because of that, and the fact that they're really not particularly comfortable, though the light weight is nice if you're walking.
[/quote]

I agree with that assessment. Adidas has done a good job of changing this on the newer models with their low-profile spike. I'm a Nike loyalist, so I haven't actually worn them, but just looking at the models, you can tell the spike is must closer to the sole than it used to be. Not sure if that's helped with the issue or not, but I can certainly attest to the change.

TaylorMade TP5x 

True not has a spiked offering. I have not worn it, so I cannot comment. But They do make the most comfortable golf shoe I have worn and their style is much better than it used to be (no more clown shoes).

I love True and I have owned 7 pairs now over the last 4 years (2 pair are dress shoes).

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Hooray for Lagunitas Equinox. Another IPA {like my beloved 90 minute} that does not taste like a conifer tree.

ITW, what's the name of that beer I had at Lakes of Taylor? Kinda coffeish?

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1438033606' post='12029768']
Hooray for Lagunitas Equinox. Another IPA {like my beloved 90 minute} that does not taste like a conifer tree.

[/quote]
Bean Flicker from Odd Side Ales.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1438034286' post='12029824']
[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1438033606' post='12029768']

[/quote]
Bean Flicker from Odd Side Ales.
[/quote]
That is pretty good. We have it at the club but it doesn't feel like a beer I would want in the summer.

Ok putter hoes. I am going to post some stuff on the BST but want to offer this putter to you guys first, of course with the ATMG discount. PM me for details.
Odyssey Metal X Milled #9 HT with black true temper shaft and a counter balanced super stroke grip with weight installed. 36" length, std loft/lie. Includes stock headcover, no weight kit although I also have 10 gram weights if you want them instead of the 15 grams. It is in like new condition.

That thing is pretty sweet J! If I didn't recently swear off all putter purchases for the rest of the year you might have yourself a taker! Good luck

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1438041245' post='12030662']
That thing is pretty sweet J! If I didn't recently swear off all putter purchases for the rest of the year you might have yourself a taker! Good luck
[/quote]

It looks great, to be honest even better than the pics show. I just don't like the feel of the face. I am sticking with my ix prototype.

[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1438083877' post='12033098']
BST bound: Muira 49* Y, 53*Y, and 57*C. Nippon WV 115 wedge shafts. Lightly used. PM for pics, atmg price
[/quote]

Replaced by?

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

I have been struggling with the driver the last month on control - lots of snap hooks or big blocks. Obviously some swing issues going on which I am working on, but I also changed out the shaft in the G30 LS back to the Ping Tour 80 and it has been really wonderful. I think the Tour 80 will be sticking in the bag for a while.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Trip report for Lakewood Shores resort (Gailes / Blackshire) ... have been to the resort 3-4 times previously, but has been 8yrs since my last visit. Our group played 2 rounds at the Gailes and 1 at Blackshire. Two guys at 5-handicaps, a 3-capper and a Scratch player.

Gailes

I have never seen the greens as good at this course as good as they are right now, EVER. Our group consensus was that they were running about 11 on the stimp and very smooth. It was a treat to see them this good, for sure the best greens I’ve played on this whole season. It's been dry up here according to the locals we spoke with during our stay, so we got lucky in my opinion ... love playing this course when it's fast and firm.

Fairways weren’t mowed as tightly as I would’ve expected, but if they’re gonna skimp on 1-end and put extra effort into something else, I’d rather see the extra effort into the greens like they’re doing.

Bunkers have changed quite a bit since I was there the last time. Every bunker on the course seems to be graded downhill toward the sod wall face of the bunkers. Downhill lies on all bunker shots, I don’t remember that being the case in my previous visits.

Blackshire

We were all fairly disappointed in this course. Not too much positive to say so I’ll keep it brief. This course is 3[sup]rd[/sup] in priority of conditioning at Lakewood Shores in my opinion … after Gailes and their Serrendella resort course. Too much slope on these greens, mini-golf like and not real enjoyable hole after hole. Wouldn’t play this course again if we come back. Would add a round at Red Hawk in Tawas or play Gailes a bunch and throw in the Serrendella course once.

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1438086759' post='12033288']
I have been struggling with the driver the last month on control - lots of snap hooks or big blocks. Obviously some swing issues going on which I am working on, but I also changed out the shaft in the G30 LS back to the Ping Tour 80 and it has been really wonderful. I think the Tour 80 will be sticking in the bag for a while.
[/quote]
What did you have in it before? I've also been wild with the driver lately, due to a swing plane issue that we identified in my last lesson. Like you, quick hooks and blocks were my misses. I felt like I was making some progress, but I struggled this weekend, I think due to over correcting and getting over plane, and I started hitting a fade (which is still pretty long with the LST), and misses were a push slice which is just the worst miss I can think of. It probably doesn't help that I've been screwing around with shafts at the same time I'm working on a swing fix, and I haven't had much chance to hit balls, because I've been working most of my waking hours the last week & a half. Hoping to get a chance tomorrow or Thursday to just hit a bunch of drivers at the range and settle on a shaft for my trip up north this weekend. The contenders:
AD BB 6x (what I've played most of the year)
AD BB 7x (thought a little heavier might help control)
AD MT 7x (allows me to play driver in neutral loft position, vs. small + in others)
Tour 80x

If the MT wins, I'll need to strip the blue paint from the head of the LST, because I can't be walking around with a blue and yellow driver. Gross.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1438084648' post='12033148']
[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1438083877' post='12033098']
BST bound: Muira 49* Y, 53*Y, and 57*C. Nippon WV 115 wedge shafts. Lightly used. PM for pics, atmg price
[/quote]

Replaced by?
[/quote]
J15 50* w/ Fuji MCI to match irons. Vokey 54/14 F or 56/10 M depending on course/conditions. Vokey 60/11 K. Vokes with stock shaft.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1438089172' post='12033508']
[/quote]
What did you have in it before? I've also been wild with the driver lately, due to a swing plane issue that we identified in my last lesson. Like you, quick hooks and blocks were my misses. I felt like I was making some progress, but I struggled this weekend, I think due to over correcting and getting over plane, and I started hitting a fade (which is still pretty long with the LST), and misses were a push slice which is just the worst miss I can think of. It probably doesn't help that I've been screwing around with shafts at the same time I'm working on a swing fix, and I haven't had much chance to hit balls, because I've been working most of my waking hours the last week & a half. Hoping to get a chance tomorrow or Thursday to just hit a bunch of drivers at the range and settle on a shaft for my trip up north this weekend. The contenders:
AD MT 7x (allows me to play driver in neutral loft position, vs. small + in others)
Tour 80x

If the MT wins, I'll need to strip the blue paint from the head of the LST, because I can't be walking around with a blue and yellow driver. Gross.
[/quote]
I would bring all of them with you up north. Nothing worse than thinking all weekend that you would rather have the shaft that is sitting at home.
And instead of getting rid of the blue paint just add some matching head covers, it will really tie it altogether. :derisive:

[quote name='O.D.underpar' timestamp='1438092918' post='12033962']
[/quote]
Tour 80x

[/quote]
I would bring all of them with you up north. Nothing worse than thinking all weekend that you would rather have the shaft that is sitting at home.
And instead of getting rid of the blue paint just add some matching head covers, it will really tie it altogether. :derisive:
[/quote]
I just replaced a blue/green Niion grip on my 712u, because it looked too close to blue and yellow.

[/quote]
Tour 80x

[/quote]

I had the AD-DI 7S playing at 45.25. My Tour 80 is playing at 44.75 which I ordered custom swing weighted at that length. I think the DI is just a little too heavy with the extra 1/2 inch. I was always planning on cutting it down, but I don't have any extra grips and I have been procrastinating. I am going to order some grips, so I am going to cut down the AD-DI and see if it gets better. The DI spins less for sure.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1438086759' post='12033288']I have been struggling with the driver the last month on control - lots of snap hooks or big blocks. Obviously some swing issues going on which I am working on, but I also changed out the shaft in the G30 LS back to the Ping Tour 80 and it has been really wonderful. I think the Tour 80 will be sticking in the bag for a while.[/quote]

I've been struggling with driver control too over the same amount of time you have KB, maybe longer. I started trying something new out where I try to hit every fairway and save drivers for only par fives and use 3 woods, 5 woods and 2 irons, eye. on all par fours. My course management has drastically changed, being that, I have noticed that I have significantly diminished chances for the occasional double bogey. Since I have put such a high premium on hitting it in the short grass, it has lead to a much higher GIR%, which affords more birdie chances and thus lowest scores. Also, I tend to over swing with my driver and by only using it at most 4x per round, it has greatly tempered my control issues. I feel like I am swinging it more freely which is a confidence boost when you step up to the box on a scoring hole.

Well first broken window, I was hoping it would take years not months! [attachment=2879458:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438170062.300574.jpg]

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='O.D.underpar' timestamp='1438175753' post='12040386']
[quote name='mattsam' timestamp='1438170072' post='12039986']
Well first broken window, I was hoping it would take years not months!
[/quote]

Did they at least leave a note?
[/quote]

Nope!!! And I got a tip who it was, called both players and neither fessed up. My builder actually got me a free window, so I'm only going to be out $70 install.

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX