G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

The G400s look fantastic.

I love my G15s but the G400s really got me thinking. The deal breaker for me tho is. I need that gray bulletproof finish in my life

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

The G400s look fantastic.

I love my G15s but the G400s really got me thinking. The deal breaker for me tho is. I need that gray bulletproof finish in my life

Yep must have that classic ping look. No ferrules and a tumbled finish for this guy. Ping...stay ping.

About to order my 3rd set of G30's. Can't wait to be a G Man again. This time it's G Man for life.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Finally got a chance to put the G30's into play yesterday and it was like seeing an old friend. With the very first strike it was apparent that they have a more solid feel than many of the spring face irons I've been playing. This particular set came with CFS S shafts but compared to my HM irons w/Recoil 95's the long irons were 16 grams heavier (short irons same). I had a set of AWT 2.0's that I decided to install thinking that would reduce the long iron heft but it didn't work out that way. To get a D0 swingweight tip weights were needed which negated much of the difference. At any rate, I enjoyed the G's but wish the weight was more in line with my Mizuno's.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

One of the original converts from the historic MTLJeff G15 thread. Still gaming the G15’s but have recently “stepped out” and replaced the K15 driver, G15 fairway and hybrid. I can’t imagine playing anything but G irons. I love the forgiveness and performance, while not hating the looks.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I just ordered a set of G25 irons, and a G25 23* hybrid. I've tried G10s, G15s, and G25s several times in the past and never got along with them. But I never gave them more than a couple range sessions/rounds before running back to my smaller, forged CBs. I'm going to try to give the G25s a longer run this time. I chose G25s over more recent iterations for the weaker lofts and less hot/less springy faces.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

This thread got me juiced to try some g-series irons. I have played g10s and g20s in the past and have always gone to s and i series irons because of the g size. However, I have finally come to the realization that my game needs all the forgiveness it can get. Anyway, I just purchased a 4-pw set of g5s, green dot with regular cushion shafts (I assume they are CS Lite) for $120. I simply could not pass up the deal. They look to be in excellent condition. In fact, many look almost brand new. This set will go nicely with the g30 driver I just bought.

Certified equipment Ho here..... I have played everything from blades to Gmax as I always seemed to be looking for something new and to help with poor ball striking. Tried "blades are better because they make you concentrate" or "play the Gmax because you struggle in the ball striking category"...... So some version of the G series irons have floated in and out of my bag since the G15 days. When I reached a mid single digit HCP early this year I decided I wanted consistency in the bag and realized I have always played my best with GI type clubs and even more so with some type of G series iron. Fortunately for me I realized this right when Ping was marking down the price of the whole G series line. I decided to commit and curb my Ho'ing all at once. I went and got fitted (again), traded every club I had in my possession, used all of my store credit, and tossed a little cash at a whole Ping bag. G series LS driver, G fairway, G hybrid, glide 2.0 wedges, and the star of the purchase 4-PW G series Irons w/AWT 2.0 shafts. I committed to the bag for the last 8 months and it is paying off. Usually shoot 78-82 pretty much everywhere I play, but in the last month I have broke 75 six times and for the first time I shot a one under 71 with 15 pars, 2 birdies, and a bogey. The G series Irons shined that day as I hit 13 GIR, which for me is well above average. G Men, G Unit, Fat Bottom Girls are here to stay. I knew I was committed when I took scotch brite to the heads last week and gave them the satin finish. It showed that I didn't care about trade value or resale and that I was in for the long haul....... Current HCP Index 5.2 and I play Fatties!

Certified equipment Ho here..... I have played everything from blades to Gmax as I always seemed to be looking for something new and to help with poor ball striking. Tried "blades are better because they make you concentrate" or "play the Gmax because you struggle in the ball striking category"...... So some version of the G series irons have floated in and out of my bag since the G15 days. When I reached a mid single digit HCP early this year I decided I wanted consistency in the bag and realized I have always played my best with GI type clubs and even more so with some type of G series iron. Fortunately for me I realized this right when Ping was marking down the price of the whole G series line. I decided to commit and curb my Ho'ing all at once. I went and got fitted (again), traded every club I had in my possession, used all of my store credit, and tossed a little cash at a whole Ping bag. G series LS driver, G fairway, G hybrid, glide 2.0 wedges, and the star of the purchase 4-PW G series Irons w/AWT 2.0 shafts. I committed to the bag for the last 8 months and it is paying off. Usually shoot 78-82 pretty much everywhere I play, but in the last month I have broke 75 six times and for the first time I shot a one under 71 with 15 pars, 2 birdies, and a bogey. The G series Irons shined that day as I hit 13 GIR, which for me is well above average. G Men, G Unit, Fat Bottom Girls are here to stay. I knew I was committed when I took scotch brite to the heads last week and gave them the satin finish. It showed that I didn't care about trade value or resale and that I was in for the long haul....... Current HCP Index 5.2 and I play Fatties!

What's the process for scotch brite the irons? Also I'd love to see the pics. Thanks

Think I'm getting old because whereas I used to play CFS shafts quite happily, now they feel too heavy in the long irons. I tried to reshaft with AWT 2.0's at a more conventional 1/2" stepping between clubs but that took too much lead to get up to a decent swingweight. So I pulled the AWT's and put the CFS's back in and now I'm planning to sell my "used one time" G30's.

I'm not giving up yet though; thinking of getting some G25's that came with graphite shafts originally because that way I know the heads will be heavy. Then I can throw in some Recoil's or similar without having to add lead. That's what I'm thinking today anyway (subject to change).

I just knocked down the polished chrome on the backs with a green pad. It basically matches the rest of the club now. 2 minutes of rubbing per club max. I've heard you can get the whole head a darker satin with more elbow grease and gray scotch brute.

That is what I am talking about.

Think I'm getting old because whereas I used to play CFS shafts quite happily, now they feel too heavy in the long irons. I tried to reshaft with AWT 2.0's at a more conventional 1/2" stepping between clubs but that took too much lead to get up to a decent swingweight. So I pulled the AWT's and put the CFS's back in and now I'm planning to sell my "used one time" G30's.

I'm not giving up yet though; thinking of getting some G25's that came with graphite shafts originally because that way I know the heads will be heavy. Then I can throw in some Recoil's or similar without having to add lead. That's what I'm thinking today anyway (subject to change).

Keep at it, cause it will be worth it once you find that perfect combo. I have the CFS in my G20s and I go back and forth with the lead tape. I like a D2 swingweight for all my clubs except wedges, but sometimes it just feels too much, so I pull it all off and then the long irons feel better at stock D0, but I start loosing feel for the head and eventually tape them back up. I have thought about sending them into PING to get them swing weighted, but then I back out and just go back to more lead tape.

I have the CFS in my G20s and I go back and forth with the lead tape. I like a D2 swingweight for all my clubs except wedges, but sometimes it just feels too much, so I pull it all off and then the long irons feel better at stock D0, but I start loosing feel for the head and eventually tape them back up. I have thought about sending them into PING to get them swing weighted, but then I back out and just go back to more lead tape.

CFS's are descending weight meaning the long iron shafts are heavier than the short iron shafts (by about 10 grams). You may want to try a progressive swingweight where you keep the long irons at D0 and move to a higher swingweight as the clubs get shorter. That way you are offsetting the shafts getting lighter.

Personally, I'm really happy with constant weight shafts since getting used to Recoils I'm playing now. Actually, Recoils increase in weight as the shafts get shorter but it's just a small amount. I use an increase swingweight methodology though. I really like that approach, along with constant weight shafts.

Good luck

I just ordered a set of G25 irons, and a G25 23* hybrid. I've tried G10s, G15s, and G25s several times in the past and never got along with them. But I never gave them more than a couple range sessions/rounds before running back to my smaller, forged CBs. I'm going to try to give the G25s a longer run this time. I chose G25s over more recent iterations for the weaker lofts and less hot/less springy faces.

Well, scratch that. G25s arrived today and they're not in the condition they were described as. I'm done buying from ebay. Besides, my Nike VR Forged Pro Combos are the perfect mix of looks and foregiveness. They've been in the bag for 30 straight months now, no sense in changing.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I have the CFS in my G20s and I go back and forth with the lead tape. I like a D2 swingweight for all my clubs except wedges, but sometimes it just feels too much, so I pull it all off and then the long irons feel better at stock D0, but I start loosing feel for the head and eventually tape them back up. I have thought about sending them into PING to get them swing weighted, but then I back out and just go back to more lead tape.

CFS's are descending weight meaning the long iron shafts are heavier than the short iron shafts (by about 10 grams). You may want to try a progressive swingweight where you keep the long irons at D0 and move to a higher swingweight as the clubs get shorter. That way you are offsetting the shafts getting lighter.

Personally, I'm really happy with constant weight shafts since getting used to Recoils I'm playing now. Actually, Recoils increase in weight as the shafts get shorter but it's just a small amount. I use an increase swingweight methodology though. I really like that approach, along with constant weight shafts.

Good luck

Yeah, I have thought about that and may give that a try this winter. I hate lead tape on my clubs, so I take it all off, then my tempo gets all out of whack and I end up taping them all up again. I seem to play better when all my clubs are D2 from driver down to wedges then D4 SW and D6 LW and Putter D6.

I have tired everything else, why not...

Took my newly acquired G5s out for a spin today. While I love my iE1s, these G5s are special. I'm thinking of playing a mixed set of 7-uw of iE1s and 4-6 of G5s. For me, there is no comparison between hitting the 4 and 5 with both sets. The G5s are just so much easier for me to get in the air and straight.

So ya - PING man here. I have had many different varieties back to the G10s - and go back and forth between players cavities and GI clubs continuously. I played 8 sets of irons in 2017 ( 10.5 index ) - Hogan PTX / 900 forged / i200s / G400s / iE1s / z545 / z565 / EZ forged.

Just received a newish set of G30s - going to practice with them over the winter - and start the the 2018 season. Love the look and sound / feel. I struggled a bit with the G400s chipping off off short grass. IE1 long irons are awesome. i200 irons are awesome.

Keeping the G30s in the arsenal and will likely get a new set of i200s to either complement them or play when the game is sharp ( perhaps even G30 long irons - i200 shorter irons ).

PING forever. Keep this thread alive !!

• 2 weeks later...

I just knocked down the polished chrome on the backs with a green pad. It basically matches the rest of the club now. 2 minutes of rubbing per club max. I've heard you can get the whole head a darker satin with more elbow grease and gray scotch brute.

What is a green pad?

by the way, I like the look with the chrome knocked off.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

What is a green pad?

ScotchBrite has color-coded pads for polishing. I believe green is most coarse, then grey, then maroon is finest (could have grey and maroon in wrong order). I've used green and grey. Grey is best in my opinion, harder to see the grain you make when polishing. You can just skip the green and start/finish with grey.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

What is a green pad?

ScotchBrite has color-coded pads for polishing. I believe green is most coarse, then grey, then maroon is finest (could have grey and maroon in wrong order). I've used green and grey. Grey is best in my opinion, harder to see the grain you make when polishing. You can just skip the green and start/finish with grey.

Do you use these pads by hand or buy the wheel you can use on a bench grinder ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

What is a green pad?

Do you use these pads by hand or buy the wheel you can use on a bench grinder ?

By hand, it's similar to sand paper, but much finer abrasive

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 1 month later...

Hi guys looking for new irons this coming year... looking at ping g, ping g400, hot metals and cobra f7. Any still keeping the original ping gs? That much of a difference between g and 400? Also any other recommendations thanks in advance...

There is not a ton of difference between the G's and the G400's. I prefer the looks of the G400's over the G's I had. I also think the feel may be a tad better but it's a small difference at best. Can't go wrong with either.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back baby! Just added gmax irons to the arsenal. I don't know if it's the lighter swingweight, but I was able to square the gmax up better than the g400. I thought the feel was phenomenal and the sound didn't seem too bad in hitting bay.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been playing around with a set of G10s. Not sure what I’m gonna do. Played a round with them and really struggled until end. Then was -2 last 4 holes.

Hit range yesterday and was hitting them pretty well. With good accuracy and distance control.

Not sure I like the short irons though 9-AW. I feel like I struggle with them.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I just got my G400 MAX Driver today.

Whenever it decides to stop raining, I am taking it out for a test drive.

All G400 bag now and I will begin testing Ping putter models to kick that Cally CS out.

Sure wish that Ping would make a CS Tyne model.

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

• 2 months later...

I have a G400 Max driver and G5 5 wood in the bag. Just ordered a set of G400 irons. 4-PW. Black dot +1/2" stiff alta cb shafts. I hope to have them early next week. Gonna look sick in my PING Hoofer bag.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Just reading this thread makes me want to reach for my wallet and pick up a set of G30 irons to add to my G30 woods.........but I just can't seem to be able to let go of my ISI becu irons .The browny color just fits my eye...........Damn, it's now even crept into my Putter. Been a long time Odyssey guy but just sold those two and picked up a Ping Vault 2 B60 in copper. Can't seem to let go of copper. Need to see a shrink...............

Good to see you your still around Ness. Always appreciate your Ping knowledge. Man, can't believe you have Mizzy's in your bag now!

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+