2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hogan Iron Spec Sheet

[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1417901307' post='10553689']

Added this data to the Spec Sheet in the first post. Thanks!!!
[/quote]

Chuck, just wanted to make sure you saw these posts.

I have catalogs from 1980 and 1984 through 1989, but none of those have any specs. The specs started with the 1990 catalog. I have catalogs from 1990-92, and some loose sheets and brochures from 1994-96.

The Radial forged came first, and the cast came later. I think you might have that backwards on the spreadsheet.

I don't have any specs for the Magnum, but I did provide the Magnum Plus. If you'll notice, there was a "DI" that was the same as the original Magnum 1 iron, there's no 2 iron in the Plus, and then the 3 was the old 2, the 4 was the old 3 and so on. The 9 iron became the E and the PW became the F wedge.

In the 1992 catalog, the Apex was still the BH Grind, so I'm not sure what you were looking for there.

Think that pretty well covers it. Glad I could help!

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1419883532' post='10656311']
Though that Excel spreadsheet has interesting data and takes sometime to accumulate; anyone care to share 'why' and or 'who' can benefit from knowing that information. I can't imagine how it could benefit me, as my specs are to my standards, as 'yours' should be to 'you'.
[/quote]

I see your point about lie angles, but if you're restoring older irons you want to make sure you bend them back to their original lofts, or if anything a touch weaker.

Most older irons have nothing in the way of bounce or sole camber, so bending them strong (to more modern lofts) would result in a club with too much tendency to dig.

• Like 1

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1419888248' post='10656725']
Though that Excel spreadsheet has interesting data and takes sometime to accumulate; anyone care to share 'why' and or 'who' can benefit from knowing that information. I can't imagine how it could benefit me, as my specs are to my standards, as 'yours' should be to 'you'.
[/quote]

I see your point about lie angles, but if you're restoring older irons you want to make sure you bend them back to their original lofts, or if anything a touch weaker.

Most older irons have nothing in the way of bounce or sole camber, so bending them strong (to more modern lofts) would result in a club with too much tendency to dig.
[/quote]

Thanks. Though restoring old clubs is somewhat common (I have a few and played 18 using old spalding blades a number of times); actually using them regularly never crossed my mind. Plus, I don't see how they could be properly reconfigured for use today. Trying to add bounce or camber to a butter knife (I have some) is not imaginable, besides most people don't have the skill to hit them either way. With that in mind, I still don't understand the value of "Hogan's" specs as opposed to OEM original spec restoration. :beach: enjoy the evening.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1419898208' post='10657473']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1419888248' post='10656725']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. Though restoring old clubs is somewhat common (I have a few and played 18 using old spalding blades a number of times); actually using them regularly never crossed my mind. Plus, I don't see how they could be properly reconfigured for use today. Trying to add bounce or camber to a butter knife (I have some) is not imaginable, besides most people don't have the skill to hit them either way. With that in mind, I still don't understand the value of "Hogan's" specs as opposed to OEM original spec restoration. :beach: enjoy the evening.
[/quote]

To be clear, we are compiling Hogan's OEM original specs for each model.

Other than new grips and making sure they are set to their proper lofts and lies, they need no other reconfiguration for use today. The sole designs on many of the Hogan irons are pretty good. They play just fine.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1420314150' post='10680113']
Does anyone have the lofts of these wedges: Hogan Special SI, Sure Out and Sure On. Thanks.
[/quote]

The catalog pages I posted above are from 1990. Should have the wedge specs you're looking for.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1420333406' post='10681579']
[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1420314150' post='10680113']
Does anyone have the lofts of these wedges: Hogan Special SI, Sure Out and Sure On. Thanks.
[/quote]

The catalog pages I posted above are from 1990. Should have the wedge specs you're looking for.
[/quote]Thank you for the info.

• 1 year later...

I apologize for dredging up an old thread, but does anyone know how to tell the difference between the series (year) of Apex Plus irons? I believe they were released in 1999, 2001 and 2007. I received mine (used) as a gift in 2004 so I know they can't be 2007s. With no serial numbers, are there any other visual cues I can use to help figure it out?

thanks

Fran

Welcome Fran,

Thanks for digging up an old thread. Mods, would this make a good stickie to put somewhere?

Check out this thread - should be helpful for you:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/494125-hogan-apex-plus-irons-years-made/

I threw up in my mouth when I saw this ad slick.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Welcome Fran,

Thanks for digging up an old thread. Mods, would this make a good stickie to put somewhere?

Check out this thread - should be helpful for you:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ons-years-made/

I threw up in my mouth when I saw this ad slick.

Going back and reviewing the Magnum Plus catalog page, a few of things stand out to me.

One is that there is only 1/4" between each iron instead of the normal 1/2", which is interesting given the current interest in single length sets.

Also, they tout toe weighting as useful in fighting slices, when today draw biased clubs are those that have more weight in the heel.

Finally, they were very strong lofted for that time. A 44 degree PW, which predated the 43 degree PW in the original King Cobra irons by a couple of years.

They were certainly out of place with Hogan name on them, but it was a good game improvement design that spawned a number of component versions that were available from a number of suppliers for a good 15 years. Obviously, a great many people found it to be a playable design that was good for their game.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, but they are far from the ugliest clubs I've ever seen. Maybe that's a topic that deserves a thread all its own.

--Rory McIlroy 

Welcome K100. Hogan Apex Plus irons were made 1999 - 2001. They were other variants of Hogan CB's subsequently. Apex Edge, Apex Edge Pro, CFT, the last in 2003. I'm not aware of any variations in the build for the three years. Serial #'s were imprinted on a label that was affixed to the shaft just below the grip. Perhaps one could ascertain a build date from that. However, from those that I've seen, no discernible code that would offer any info like prior serialization of Hogans.

Perhaps Teevons of others can offer more insight.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks for the welcome and the info. My father-in-law passed these on to me with Graphite Design prototype shafts hence no serial numbers. Also no flex weight or any other info on the prototype shafts. I've been missing greens to the left lately and was thinking about replacing them but I really like the way they feel and the ball flight is nice. I like the looks too. When they were newer I thought they were absolutely gorgeous. They're a bit worse for wear now ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not everybody custom fit the clubs they play you see

It's hard to improve on the stock gapping of the earlier clubs anyway ... unless you wanted to strengthen or weaken a couple of degrees on each club.

And surely also, it is important to know what was standard, in order to know how much you can bend them without wrecking the bounce angles ?

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

It's hard to improve on the stock gapping of the earlier clubs anyway ... unless you wanted to strengthen or weaken a couple of degrees on each club.

And surely also, it is important to know what was standard, in order to know how much you can bend them without wrecking the bounce angles ?

There were a few reasons for putting this together...

1) Lots of folks on here have or wish to own Hogan Irons....and it's nice to know what the specs are.

2) Some folks might be looking to restore a set, and knowing the initial specs is handy information to have if you wish to return a set to "factory spec"

3) Tracking this info down can be a righteous pain...having it available for anyone who is intersted quickly and easily is (to my mind) helpful

And lastly...it's primarily for the kind people on here who found themselves answering the question "Do you know the specs for the Hogan <fill in the blank>?" 25 times...

It saves folks some trouble

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

• 7 months later...

I have a set of the Apex Edge 2001 irons. I also have a set of the 2006 Apex Edge irons, but I can't find a word on the specs. Anyone sitting on them? Thanks!

I love to see the details and evolution of lies and lofts and technology. Little things can get into your head and affect your game in a good way, so I try to learn all I can about the clubs I am interested in.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Here you go. Assuming you mean the '06 Edge CFT's

Thanks very much, but I did mean the 2006 Hogan Apex Edge irons.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

• 1 year later...

Amending my post above. I am specifically seeking the bounce for the 2001 Apex Edge irons.

This site does not list bounce http://www.equip2golf.com/specifications/specs_frameset.html?hogan/hogan_apex_edge_plus.html~specs

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

• 1 month later...

I apologize for dredging up an old thread, but does anyone know how to tell the difference between the series (year) of Apex Plus irons? I believe they were released in 1999, 2001 and 2007. I received mine (used) as a gift in 2004 so I know they can't be 2007s. With no serial numbers, are there any other visual cues I can use to help figure it out?

thanks

Fran

K100Fran,

Yes, there is a very easy way to discern the 2007 Callaway-produced Apex Plus iron from the 1999 Spalding-produced Apex Plus iron. The 2007 version has a crescent at the top of the hosel while the original 1999 Spalding version does not.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

• 1 year later...

James, I had the same problem. But, I'd also downloaded it in 2016, it's still on my hard drive.

I'll try upload it, we'll see what we get.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> James, I had the same problem. But, I'd also downloaded it in 2016, it's still on my hard drive.

>

> I'll try upload it, we'll see what we get.

We get the spreadsheet! Much obliged! I needed the loft of an Apex 50 E-wedge because I simply _cannot_ use the 46 of the Apex Edge Pro for chips (or almost anything else), and I wanted to confirm it being 48 on the 50's.