2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

In-Home Winter Golf Fix

donaldp83

As I sit here drinking coffee, I see here in Wisconsin we are looking at 10-12 inches of snow on Monday/Tuesday. The pessimist in me is saying golf season is over. It looks like it will be a long winter. I might go crazy.

This might sound bizarre, but does anyone do anything indoors throughout the winter that gives you a little "golf fix?" I just need to find something...

Perhaps this forum will help my winter blues.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering the same thing here in mn as I sit here looking out the window after hitting 5-6 brand new balls into the field across the street from me to get a little fix. My swing felt great, and now I'm itching to play and might sneak out tomorrow for a final round even though its gonna be 36 degrees with 10 mph winds, any golf is better than no golf! Ive got the same question you do.

I practice 15 foot chip shots onto my couch and see if I can land them softly enough to stay on the cushion (this part of my game didnt even exist before I did this last winter and it actually really helped) and am looking into something for putting. Not sure where your at in WI but theres a place in stillwater/lake elmo that has heated stalls you can hit from in the winter, and theres a random bowling alley that his several simulators.

Other than that, I just sit and wish I could go play!

Winter sux!

I have surgery coming up, so I will have to contend with inability to much of anything but maybe carpet put....

for me it's mostly chipping over furniture, putting, and when I can't stand it anymore....Top Golf. I try to go right as they open so I don't have to deal with the party as much.

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1415470605' post='10416193']
I'm wondering the same thing here in mn as I sit here looking out the window after hitting 5-6 brand new balls into the field across the street from me to get a little fix. My swing felt great, and now I'm itching to play and might sneak out tomorrow for a final round even though its gonna be 36 degrees with 10 mph winds, any golf is better than no golf! Ive got the same question you do.

I practice 15 foot chip shots onto my couch and see if I can land them softly enough to stay on the cushion (this part of my game didnt even exist before I did this last winter and it actually really helped) and am looking into something for putting. Not sure where your at in WI but theres a place in stillwater/lake elmo that has heated stalls you can hit from in the winter, and theres a random bowling alley that his several simulators.

[/quote]

Wow! I do the exact same thing with the couch, and I hit nice balls here and there off snowpack when the temp hits 30 and I can't take it anymore... And it seems they all are pure, just to tease you with that feeling. The couch gets redundant after a certain amount of time (for my wife).

I actually live in Eau Claire and have been to the heated stalls on occasion. We just finally got another simulator here after our Nevada Bobs shut down a few years back, but it is busy and spendy. As I type this, it seems I have more options than I thought...

I'm in Waukesha County so I feel your pain. Thankfully for me, I'm just a 20 minute drive from the Currie Golf Dome. It's not perfect but allows fulls swings over the winter. I get there about once a week just to keep the swing together.

Thankfully I'm a putterhead so I can still do lots of putting in the winter. I have a room with green speed carpet that is about 13x10 in usable putting space. With a TV as well it becomes my winter hangout. I love to watch the Australian events that are on in evening here and putt away.

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1415473183' post='10416347']
Here in Canada we play poker, drink whisky, and have more sex, to get through the winter til next golf season.
[/quote]

That tears it...I am moving to Canada

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='donaldp83' timestamp='1415472267' post='10416289']

[/quote]

Wow! I do the exact same thing with the couch, and I hit nice balls here and there off snowpack when the temp hits 30 and I can't take it anymore... And it seems they all are pure, just to tease you with that feeling. The couch gets redundant after a certain amount of time (for my wife).

I actually live in Eau Claire and have been to the heated stalls on occasion. We just finally got another simulator here after our Nevada Bobs shut down a few years back, but it is busy and spendy. As I type this, it seems I have more options than I thought...
[/quote]

But none of them involve actual play and we won't be happy till it does.. Haha.

I just got confirmation from a course in stillwater that they are open for play tomorrow so I'll be there for my last hoorah.

The wife doesnt care much for the couch practice either here as every now and again there is a miss hit.. Usually when shes yelling at me about the last time I marked the wall. Simulators are okay, I just dont like swinging in a confined space, especially since I'm a lefty and thats always where the monitors and controls are.

We have a golf dome about 20 min away, but it only goes out to 85 yards and I fear that if I go too much I may end up grooving a swing that looks good at that distance but may trail somewhere past that!

[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1415471466' post='10416235']
Winter sux!

I have surgery coming up, so I will have to contend with inability to much of anything but maybe carpet put....

for me it's mostly chipping over furniture, putting, and when I can't stand it anymore....Top Golf. I try to go right as they open so I don't have to deal with the party as much.
[/quote]

Hey Chuck, hope all goes well with the surgery and a speedy recovery to you.

I may buy an actual net this year, but I hang a very large canvas tarp in the garage and hit off some astro turf with extra padding underneath. It actually works very well. I've been known to catch a few on the hosel though, and go wide of the tarp. I can hear them ricochet around but I can't see them. I haven't done any damage to anything (or anyone) yet but this is why I'm thinking more of a surrounding net.

[quote name='shanksfornuthin' timestamp='1415480441' post='10416679']
[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1415471466' post='10416235']
Winter sux!

[/quote]

Hey Chuck, hope all goes well with the surgery and a speedy recovery to you.

I may buy an actual net this year, but I hang a very large canvas tarp in the garage and hit off some astro turf with extra padding underneath. It actually works very well. I've been known to catch a few on the hosel though, and go wide of the tarp. I can hear them ricochet around but I can't see them. I haven't done any damage to anything (or anyone) yet but this is why I'm thinking more of a surrounding net.
[/quote]

Thank you sir....there are some extra and not cool bits floating around inside which need to be removed...lol.

To your point about a net...I have a buddy who got one without the sides. After one session of taking out various power tools, his wife's doll collection and a close call with the windshield of an Acura all by way of errant richocets...he opted to upgrade to the side net one....

Good call on the full net.... :taunt:

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

I just moved from Alaska to Georgia. Let me tell you, those were the longest winters in the world. They did have a golf dome in Anchorage, but it was over priced so I didn't get out there much. Golf ended in September in Anchorage and didn't open up until late April with temp greens, and fully opened in late May with all 18 greens open. Now that I'm in Georgia it's nice to be able to play in November! I've played every weekend since we arrived in October. Hope you guys can survive winter, I'll be thinking of ya'll when I'm on the course enjoying the sunshine!

[quote name='TheGoo34' timestamp='1415484176' post='10416913']
I just moved from Alaska to Georgia. Let me tell you, those were the longest winters in the world. They did have a golf dome in Anchorage, but it was over priced so I didn't get out there much. Golf ended in September in Anchorage and didn't open up until late April with temp greens, and fully opened in late May with all 18 greens open. Now that I'm in Georgia it's nice to be able to play in November! I've played every weekend since we arrived in October. Hope you guys can survive winter, I'll be thinking of ya'll when I'm on the course enjoying the sunshine!
[/quote]

I'm thinking all the northerners take a trip to your place in GA since youll be thinking of us anyways ;) haha

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1415470645' post='10416197']
[quote name='Daddy_Danglez' timestamp='1415470143' post='10416167']
Here in Missouri we have a few good snows a year.. I'll putt and chip on my living room carpet.. Also playing TW14 on Xbox helps more than you'd think lol
[/quote]

Thats what i'm doing as we speak haha
[/quote]

Playing xbox? Or carpet practice.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1415472659' post='10416305']
I'm in Waukesha County so I feel your pain. Thankfully for me, I'm just a 20 minute drive from the Currie Golf Dome. It's not perfect but allows fulls swings over the winter. I get there about once a week just to keep the swing together.

Thankfully I'm a putterhead so I can still do lots of putting in the winter. I have a room with green speed carpet that is about 13x10 in usable putting space. With a TV as well it becomes my winter hangout. I love to watch the Australian events that are on in evening here and putt away.
[/quote]

Where is that dome? I get down there a couple times each winter when I visit my in-laws in Waukesha...

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1415473731' post='10416363']
[quote name='donaldp83' timestamp='1415472267' post='10416289']

[/quote]

[/quote]

But none of them involve actual play and we won't be happy till it does.. Haha.

I just got confirmation from a course in stillwater that they are open for play tomorrow so I'll be there for my last hoorah.

The wife doesnt care much for the couch practice either here as every now and again there is a miss hit.. Usually when shes yelling at me about the last time I marked the wall. Simulators are okay, I just dont like swinging in a confined space, especially since I'm a lefty and thats always where the monitors and controls are.

We have a golf dome about 20 min away, but it only goes out to 85 yards and I fear that if I go too much I may end up grooving a swing that looks good at that distance but may trail somewhere past that!
[/quote]

That sounds all too familiar!

My golf season is just ramping up baby.

HAHAAAAAA!

No, I feel ya, I spent two years in VT and it was hell for me. Good to be home. When I was in Vermont, I spent A LOT of time in local golf stores and kept my eyes glued to Golf Channel and any channel that aired fishing shows... always filmed in Florida of course. It helped my denial that I was actually in Vermont even though I had tromp through snow to get to golf shops. I also stayed glued to WRX and hoed out on equipment, apparel, and accessories. It helped.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I don't know whats available in your area, but I also spent a winter in Colorado. They had winter golf leagues that would meet twice a week and play on massive simulators at local sports bars. Every week they would play a different course just as you would at your summer league in real life. Play rounds, tally up the points, prizes, drinks, fun fun.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I usually travel up to 2 hours to find an open course and i have a cart cover plus heater.

If i can't find anything without snow i work on my swing with video either at indoor hitting stalls (hit into a net), outside, or in my house/garage.

I also have a 12 foot putting green strip and i putt on it as well as chip & pitch as it checks pretty realistically.

I moved to AZ last year thinking golf all year would be so awesome. I burned out quickly fighting price, pace, and the grind. I'm moving back to Central IL in January with a totally different perspective. Allow winter to be a time where you take it easy, work on the swing, and overall just go play when you can with no expectations or stress.

Usually, I can play a few times a month in winter, unless a very hard winter. Once or twice in January and February can keep me happy. Other than that, watch golf movies, Caddyshack, Bagger Vance, etc. A training video is good for insomnia.

Chipping foam balls in the house is good, but I've made a few dents in woodwork and walls. Spruce up a few clubs from Goodwill, install new grips, visit golf stores, walk around the house with a club, wear a $5 Goodwill "Masters" jacket.

The possibilities are endless. (But it's still not golf, though.)

Keep your sanity.

I'm with you guys on the furniture golf. Besides the couch and recliner, I setup a couple of buckets to chip into also.

Definitely have to be careful with the full swings! Lol never know where those mishits are going to end up ;) I've had a few things to repair/replace.

That's about all I got around here. Pro shops all close and the only store is Dicks but the one here doesn't have a very good selection of anything.

Hopefully we can stretch out the season as long as possible. Fingers crossed!

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

I have a stick (formerly called a chicken stick for reasons passing understanding) for Tiger Woods Wii Golf. It looks like a golf club cut off a few inches below the grip, with a tray glued on to hold the wii remote. So you hold it like a real club and swing it like a real club.

It's not a perfect substitute, but it's fun and beats just waiting for the snow to melt.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1415497606' post='10417921']
[quote name='donaldp83' timestamp='1415497125' post='10417879']

Where is that dome? I get down there a couple times each winter when I visit my in-laws in Waukesha...
[/quote]

Check it out [url="http://bit.ly/1tVw7kv"]HERE.[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, Sassypants!