The Plight Of The Southern Golfer

Duffner's Waggle

While many of my northern brethren (DP4, Uncle Cardy, RBhan12) begin to put the sticks away and call it a season, I hear so much talk of this "indoor golf" and "dome golf" and the like and I can't help but be jealous. I mean sure, I will probably play another 6-8 rounds before the end of the year, maybe more depending on my schedule, but the problem is that it does get somewhat cold here (30s & 40s), but more than that it gets wet in the winter time. The issue is that we don't have domes or indoor golf here. Because we're not in a 'cold weather climate' those things don't exist.

I've never been inside of one and I probably never will, but northerners, count your blessings next time you tee it up inside the dome and realize old Duff is sitting by the window at home watching the rain fall, dreaming of puring 3woods off the back of an inflatable igloo....

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no sympathy here....⛄️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1415743513' post='10431089']
Winter is the best time to play in Texas! It's also the only time we get rain consistently so the courses are green and soft and usually in the 50's and sunny during the middle of the day. :lock:
[/quote]

When I lived in the GWN, specifically Chicagoland, we'd play CogHill year round, Domes were just invented, can't recall name of course that setup the first one, White Pines (maybe), which was better than nothing.

Simulator facilities sprung up everywhere it seemed, we even joined Winter leagues, usually played at night, similar to Monday night football, we had Wednesday night golf.

Then I got smart moved to Texas and play all year. Ironically, summer is worst time of year to play here, hot and generally little to no wind. Winter golf in TX is really fun, not hot, generally not too cold, and dormant Bermuda greens can roll up to 13 or so, depending on where you play.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I know this is wrong in so many ways but I couldn't help myself - do you guys wear these when you play in the South? Got to know cause were moving to Kodak, Tn next spring and I need to understand how many pairs of levis I would need to cut down - btw, have a place in Charleston, SC and have never seen any but then again Chucktown is much more urban/metro than Kodak.

jorts.jpg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1415744600' post='10431169']
[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1415743513' post='10431089']
Winter is the best time to play in Texas! It's also the only time we get rain consistently so the courses are green and soft and usually in the 50's and sunny during the middle of the day. :lock:
[/quote]

When I lived in the GWN, specifically Chicagoland, we'd play CogHill year round, Domes were just invented, can't recall name of course that setup the first one, White Pines (maybe), which was better than nothing.

Simulator facilities sprung up everywhere it seemed, we even joined Winter leagues, usually played at night, similar to Monday night football, we had Wednesday night golf.

Then I got smart moved to Texas and play all year. Ironically, summer is worst time of year to play here, hot and generally little to no wind. Winter golf in TX is really fun, not hot, generally not too cold, and dormant Bermuda greens can roll up to 13 or so, depending on where you play.
[/quote]

Yep simulators everywhere - course 2 miles from me here in Naperville will be setup with a couple in about a week - much better than bouncing 6 irons off the roof of a dome - even hold leagues.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I know this is wrong in so many ways but I couldn't help myself - do you guys wear these when you play in the South? Got to know cause were moving to Kodak, Tn next spring and I need to understand how many pairs of levis I would need to cut down - btw, have a place in Charleston, SC and have never seen any but then again Chucktown is much more urban/metro than Kodak.

jorts.jpg

Could not be more wrong dude. Us southerners prefer wranglers to levis.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

jorts.jpg

No you won't see much of that down south. Our women shave their legs.

I moved to KY from FL, what a mistake, golf wise(to just name 1)... The guys around here are pretty creative. All winter long you see guys in their carts with the zip up covers and the little propane heater. actually stays pretty warm in the cart. If it's above freezing and no wind, usually I'm out there too. We have a blue ball tournament on new years day. If > 32* its 18 holes and 9 if not.

Larry Lujack, a legendary Chicago DJ, was an over the top golf nut - I remember listening to him and the winter golf tales - this bit from his wiki page tells it all (sadly he passed about a year ago):

[color=#252525]Away from the job, he was an enthusiast about golf. After triple heart bypass surgery in 1991, Lujack marked his calendar for the date his doctor told him he could return to the sport. Not just a "fair weather" golfer, Lujack suited up in winter gear and snowshoes to play Chicago area golf courses in winter. He played a full 18 holes at Buffalo Grove on January 23, 1985; the temperature was 27 degrees below zero with a windchill of -75 degrees. Lujack collapsed afterwar[/color]

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1415746282' post='10431311']This thread is insane. Winter is awful here.[/quote]

Haha my man, I was born and raised in Milwaukee before I was given the gift of southern living. Mom's from Green Bay, Dad's from the west side of Chi-Town. Its tongue-in-cheek. I know what I'm "missing" out on....

But I do wish I had a place I could go hit balls all winter in shorts and a polo.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

jorts.jpg

Those and speedos also. You haven't golfed till you've worn one. :rolleyes:

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1415747240' post='10431367']Well it wouldn't be in a golf dome...it's usually pretty damn cold in the domes.[/quote]

They're not heated?? Whats the point then? Just light a driving range

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1415747663' post='10431397']
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1415747240' post='10431367']Well it wouldn't be in a golf dome...it's usually pretty damn cold in the domes.[/quote]

They're not heated?? Whats the point then? Just light a driving range
[/quote]

They're heated but it costs a small fortune to heat. I would guess on a warmer day outside they are around 55-60 inside, but the middle of January/February and I've actually seen my breath inside the Bolingbrook dome.

I thought the "plight of the southern golfer" was that they lived in the south?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

jorts.jpg

Dude, having been raised down that way, you show up at a course in a pair of those and you better be able to hit more than a ball with the club in your hand.

Urban/Metro?

WTF, LMAO?!?

Bro, I got one cousin down there that is still dead set in the belief that they were one battle shy of winnin that conflict we had mid-19th century and his Bro thought that a Metrosexual was a homosexual that lived in the city.

I don't put "lol" cuz the stupid son of a b**** was dead serious.

And they're considered fairly normal.

And you wanna know about cutting your levis down?

Bro, you're better off in white pants and a white belt, lol

Welcome to the forum :)

A great group of Peeps!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Bro, could this not be business opportunity?

What about portable heaters in the bays at the range?

Do you have any ranges with covered bays, like 2-3 tier hitting bays or is everything out in the open?

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1415751692' post='10431749']Bro, could this not be business opportunity?

What about portable heaters in the bays at the range?

Do you have any ranges with covered bays, like 2-3 tier hitting bays or is everything out in the open?

Richard[/quote]

Everything in the open except one at a mini Golf place, but its a little like the saying "that girl's so ugly I wouldn't (kiss) her with your (lips)!" <<edited version

I wouldn't hit their range balls with YOUR driver.... Its a dump!

In Southwestern Virginia (Abingdon) Winter time doesn't offer much opportunity for golf. I've played in some pretty cold conditions and will usually play if I can get the tee in the ground and there isn't too much snow on the course. That being said, around 2 or 3 years ago, there was VERY little golf played. My home course has a sign in sheet and it was something like this....last round signed was December 3....next one was January 2 when there was a relatively mild day. Then a series of clippers came in and I'll bet there wasn't another round played at our club for another month. I am a huge fan of the newer high tech clothing that makes golfing in cold possible. I'm envious of those of you all who can play year round and I know that I have the opportunity to play much more than many on this board. It's all good....I think about playing if I can't..makes us appreciate the return of warm weather :)

These are a couple of shots of my Bud's range. In the far right of the upper pic and the blow up of the lower pic are the stalls that I referring to. They have small portable heaters that are affixed to the top left side of the stall and I've hit when it's in the high 20s-30s and it's ok. They're also good for rain as long as it's not blowing into your face. The upper level, near left is used for teaching with video and LM.

FWIW, the last slot in that bottom far right bay was "my" spot. I had a black wicker rocker in it that I initially put in the back of it along with a bench for my Teacher and with his passing in '06, I took the bench out used the rocker for myself or anyone who stopped by. Well, the rocker has been moved to the upper "deck" where a "mature" Class A uses it, lol.

Maybe something like this would fly as it's good for sunny, rain or blustery days.

Have a nice day :)

My Best,
Richard

Hey Duff, is that driving range still on Holland Road near Dam Neck Road? They used to have heaters there. I haven't been there in a few years. I'm not sure that range is still in existence.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Can't say I'm with you on this one Duff! Yes, our winters can be rainy and chilly, but you can play golf around here several times a month (time permitting) easily through December. There have been many a Christmas day where it got into the mid-60s, and the mid-50s for a daytime high are commonplace, which is just fine for golf. The worst two months weather-wise are Jan and Feb, but again, there will be a few days in those months where the daytime highs are in the 50s and it is dry. When you're walking, that's comfortable.

We have true year-round golf here... it just isn't idyllic like So Cal.

The bigger issue is the fact that it gets dark so early, so getting in that late afternoon round doesn't work.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom