2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Plight Of The Southern Golfer

Duffner's Waggle

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's this part of the year that I'm thankful my basement has a decent simulator in it, I have good friends that will come and play a round or 4 with me every week and that I fly way too much and have too many miles to burn and can get out and go somewhere warm many, many times over the course of the winter. I would much prefer to just live somewhere where it is warm for the entire year, but given my personal situation regarding business, I don't see that happening for a while.

[quote name='MidwestGolfBum' timestamp='1417547998' post='10531959']
It's this part of the year that I'm thankful my basement has a decent simulator in it, I have good friends that will come and play a round or 4 with me every week and that I fly way too much and have too many miles to burn and can get out and go somewhere warm many, many times over the course of the winter. I would much prefer to just live somewhere where it is warm for the entire year, but given my personal situation regarding business, I don't see that happening for a while.
[/quote]

Man, whatever you do for work sounds like you need an East Coast representative. That way you can come out for 'business' 18's and I can do something that affords a decent simulator in my basement (if I had a basement).

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Sorry gang, been AWOL takin care of a sick wife and baby, but was set free today for a quick 9...on December 1st....take back everything i said in the OP

IMG_20141201_150042_zpsz9gjxczp.jpg

#youluckybastard

Wont see 70s here until june probably

Kinda came outta nowhere. Back to low 50s and rain today with no sun in sight. Progressively colder all week then warm this weekend but rain rain rain.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1417548150' post='10531973']
[quote name='MidwestGolfBum' timestamp='1417547998' post='10531959']
[/quote]

Man, whatever you do for work sounds like you need an East Coast representative. That way you can come out for 'business' 18's and I can do something that affords a decent simulator in my basement (if I had a basement).
[/quote]

I forgot how nice it was to have a basement when I moved to California for a few years after school. One of the few things I have to be thankful for living in the lovely upper midwest. I keep jokingly telling my employees that I'm going to start a south west branch and move to AZ in the winter, one of these years, I just may have to.

I do like the indoor/garage practice sessions as well as the old living room carpet putts. But I'm right with you guys who suffer seasonal lack of actual play. There's no substitute for the wide open spaces.

When I hit that lottery I will post so everyone can snag up a share and we call all have a great indoor simulator at home. I take care of my friends -- that much is no problem. Hitting the lottery -- now that one is a problem! Keep your finger's crossed for me buds.

I keep thinking of moving further south. I'm getting to the age
where temps below 60 are no longer fun on the course, lol.

So I say that but I'll be out there anyway playing when its 53
or something.

The problem is we only talk about the HIGH temp for the day.
So it's 53 for 15 minutes but most of the round it's 40-50. I
now look a the hourly forecast so I truly know what to dress
for and whether I really want to be out there for 4-5 hours.

Too many times we've been out there with highs in the 50s
then we find ourselves finishing up and it's dropped to 39
and the wind is blowing coming up the last few holes and
all we want to do is get off the course and go home!

[quote name='Flip4000' timestamp='1417546753' post='10531817']
[quote name='awil' timestamp='1417358980' post='10521029']
[quote name='Flip4000' timestamp='1415905078' post='10441685']
Well duff I dont feel quite that bad for you since i would rather have 6 more rounds this season haha.

Fortunately in mn we have Golf Zone. which is a range set up where you hit of mats from indoors to outdoors. You get to see the full flight of your ball and is a great way to stay in winter golf shape. Even when its cold its not too bad. Its especially nice at night because the balls are much easier to see against the night sky. They have 30+ stalls and usually get busy towards after December due to people wanting to try the new clubs they got for Christmas and the excitement of a new season being a few months away.

Great place to do some winter club testing for the up and coming season.

It is an interesting concept though because they charge you not by how many balls but how much time you are in there, which can get expensive. So usually me and a couple buddies share a mat and split the costs, but its nice to be able to hit as many balls as you want to.

Since I have discovered this gem, I have been domeless for 3 years. Why hit the ball 80 yards into a wall when i can hit it full length outside?

My guess is this is more what you would be looking for eh duff?

[attachment=2496241:golf zone.jpg]

[attachment=2496265:golfzone.jpg]
[/quote]
Check out mn golf academy in ep ! Much better and more fair price wise
[/quote]

I am not sure that hitting into a net would be much better than getting to see the full flight of your ball. I have heard of it but I dont like the idea of hitting a ball 40 yards into a wall. I have heard it is quite a nice place though
[/quote]
For what it's worth , I used to go to golf zone no more cold hands , constricted swings with the beams you feel like you are going to hit . They also have a nice chipping area . It's where when I come back for Christmas break from school I'm gonna practice at least.

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1415746986' post='10431351']
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1415746282' post='10431311']This thread is insane. Winter is awful here.[/quote]

Haha my man, I was born and raised in Milwaukee before I was given the gift of southern living. Mom's from Green Bay, Dad's from the west side of Chi-Town. Its tongue-in-cheek. I know what I'm "missing" out on....

But I do wish I had a place I could go hit balls all winter in shorts and a polo.
[/quote]

Broham - I believe that place is called Florida for you...

I live in NORCAL, so its generally pissing rain but mid 50s so still playable. For me, my "dome" is called Palm Springs.

Dig it bro. Go find your sunwashed nirvana.

I never even knew that there was such thing as golf seasons until I joined this site. While I dabble in snow sports as they present themselves, golf is a year-round affair around here. Not sure what i'd do if I had many months of off time.

And just for the sake of argument, this is considered a miserable week:

w6vbdt.png

I had to buy a jacket this afternoon in anticipation :(

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

I moved to Houston from KC about 5 years ago and was amazed in the "Winter" here when it hit 50 that everyone that did brave the cold here was dressed in those ear flap hats and winter vest along with heaters and cart cover while I happily played in my shorts and wind shirt. Now however, i have acclimated and understand that 50 is the new 40 for me. I still wear shorts year round but it does feel colder to me. Listen to me complaining, yeah its cold but I just hit the 300th round for the year yesterday so i really okay!

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1417823521' post='10550139']
[quote name='Flip4000' timestamp='1417546753' post='10531817']
[quote name='awil' timestamp='1417358980' post='10521029']
[quote name='Flip4000' timestamp='1415905078' post='10441685']
Well duff I dont feel quite that bad for you since i would rather have 6 more rounds this season haha.

Fortunately in mn we have Golf Zone. which is a range set up where you hit of mats from indoors to outdoors. You get to see the full flight of your ball and is a great way to stay in winter golf shape. Even when its cold its not too bad. Its especially nice at night because the balls are much easier to see against the night sky. They have 30+ stalls and usually get busy towards after December due to people wanting to try the new clubs they got for Christmas and the excitement of a new season being a few months away.

Great place to do some winter club testing for the up and coming season.

It is an interesting concept though because they charge you not by how many balls but how much time you are in there, which can get expensive. So usually me and a couple buddies share a mat and split the costs, but its nice to be able to hit as many balls as you want to.

Since I have discovered this gem, I have been domeless for 3 years. Why hit the ball 80 yards into a wall when i can hit it full length outside?

My guess is this is more what you would be looking for eh duff?

[attachment=2496241:golf zone.jpg]

[attachment=2496265:golfzone.jpg]
[/quote]
Check out mn golf academy in ep ! Much better and more fair price wise
[/quote]

I am not sure that hitting into a net would be much better than getting to see the full flight of your ball. I have heard of it but I dont like the idea of hitting a ball 40 yards into a wall. I have heard it is quite a nice place though
[/quote]
For what it's worth , I used to go to golf zone no more cold hands , constricted swings with the beams you feel like you are going to hit . They also have a nice chipping area . It's where when I come back for Christmas break from school I'm gonna practice at least.
[/quote]

Yeah if ur tall and have a flatter in to out swing, golf zone will definitely make u nervous haha

• 1 month later...

Just checking back in to say I hate winter in the south. I'm sure you're all freezing up there in the north, and I feel for you....I really do, but down here we're getting rained on (praying for snow, bc people here lose their frigging minds when it snows and an inch basically shuts down the city-and work-) with temps ranging from 30* up to 60*. 60* and rain is the absolute worst because it feels like weather you know you could play in, but the course is soaked, the lack of sunshine will make sure it stays soaked, and you'd be soaked trying to play in a downpour.

Water doesn't drain well here to begin with. We're not even allowed to have basements in most areas of the city because we hit water when digging too deep, so the water on course has nowhere to go, the cold doesn't help and the gray skies certainly don't help.

No indoor ranges. No golf domes. Nothing to do except go test out new equipment at Golf Galaxy just to get my fix, and so far I'm batting 1.000% in trips to GG resulting in a purchase.

Cmon spring!

SoCal is about the only place that is decent to play year round. Fl is only good in the winter. Today I actually got to wear pants. Hallelujah!

While all of you guys complain about miserable winters up north, we have miserable summers down here. The air gets so thick here sometimes that you don't even need a tee. Just hold the ball for a second at tee height and it stays there. Bizarre. Last year on a particularly brutal day I hit a flop shot and the ball got stuck in the air. I had to use my driver and stand on the cart to get the ball down out of the air. Try to get a ruling on that one. Then there is the heat. Not only is the air hot and humid, we are so far south that the sun just bakes everything it hits. For lunch sometimes I make a b.l.t. by putting a piece of foil on the brim of my hat and putting the bacon on that. It helps keep my head still on tee shots too. Don't want to drop that bacon! One hole later, it is sizzling and done. Life in the swamp!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1421256916' post='10745657']
Just checking back in to say I hate winter in the south. I'm sure you're all freezing up there in the north, and I feel for you....I really do, but down here we're getting rained on (praying for snow, bc [b]people here lose their frigging minds when it snows and an inch basically shuts down the city-and work[/b]-) with temps ranging from 30* up to 60*. 60* and rain is the absolute worst because it feels like weather you know you could play in, but the course is soaked, the lack of sunshine will make sure it stays soaked, and you'd be soaked trying to play in a downpour.

Water doesn't drain well here to begin with. We're not even allowed to have basements in most areas of the city because we hit water when digging too deep, so the water on course has nowhere to go, the cold doesn't help and the gray skies certainly don't help.

No indoor ranges. No golf domes. Nothing to do except go test out new equipment at Golf Galaxy just to get my fix, and so far I'm batting 1.000% in trips to GG resulting in a purchase.

Cmon spring!
[/quote]

I worked at Food Lion on Princess Anne Road as a teen in and when the forecast called for snow the store looked like the mall at Christmas. People would come out of the woodwork and buy enough groceries to last for two weeks. It was crazy!

I always wanted to ask "Didn't you see the forecast? 1-2" of snow today and a high of 50 tomorrow and 55 for the next several days. This isn't Montana, don't you realize it will be gone by tomorrow afternoon?"

The house I grew up in (just down the road from Your Golf Ball Shop) is a tri-level with the bottom floor about 3' under ground. Anytime we got large amounts of rain, water would come up through the floor. Basements near the sea, at or below sea level, just don't work!

And you're right about courses and drainage down there. It doesn't take much rain for it to be "cart path only" for a few days.

Hang in there, bro! Winter will soon be gone!

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Duff,

I too live in south Hampton Roads (Suffolk) and I've been golfing most anytime it's not raining and above freezing. A couple of times, I should have stayed home, but most times I wasn't miserable and enjoyed being out.

I golfed last Saturday; sunny, 33, light winds. I golfed Sunday. I forget the high, but there was a 2+ hour frost delay.

I'll likely hit the range later today and be playing somewhere tomorrow afternoon. Sunny and 50 tomorrow!!!!

Callaway Epic GBB Driver
Callaway X2 Hot 3,5 Woods
Callaway X2 Hot 3, 4 Hybrids
Bridgestone J40 DPC (5-P) Project X 5.5
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB Wedge 52
Bridgestone J40 58 Wedge
Odyssey White Ice 9 Putter

[quote name='PouncePony' timestamp='1421341858' post='10751577']
Duff,

I too live in south Hampton Roads (Suffolk) and I've been golfing most anytime it's not raining and above freezing. A couple of times, I should have stayed home, but most times I wasn't miserable and enjoyed being out.

I golfed last Saturday; sunny, 33, light winds. I golfed Sunday. I forget the high, but there was a 2+ hour frost delay.

I'll likely hit the range later today and be playing somewhere tomorrow afternoon. Sunny and 50 tomorrow!!!!
[/quote]

I know.....

I'm closing on a house soon and need to save up vacation days for closing/moving/painting, etc or I'd be burning vaca/sick days any time it was even decent out. Tomorrow will still be wet, but 50+ is what's up! Wish I could join ya

Scratch that! I have a 12:56 at Honeybee. Couldn't resist. Celebrating some good news for my man vbb and teein it up. Man, I'm not gonna sleep tonight, lol. Ridiculous.

Why is it, that in the cold north guys can take 6 months off and still shoot scratch golf? Where southern golfers golf all year long and still stink? We have quite a few scratch golfers that only play 4 months out of the year , and never pick up a club. I would travel south of west and see guys beating ball after ball on a range duffing them all over. Why is this ? And I'm speaking as an amateur golfer here

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1421450473' post='10760219']
Why is it, that in the cold north guys can take 6 months off and still shoot scratch golf? Where southern golfers golf all year long and still stink? We have quite a few scratch golfers that only play 4 months out of the year , and never pick up a club. I would travel south of west and see guys beating ball after ball on a range duffing them all over. Why is this ? And I'm speaking as an amateur golfer here
[/quote]

Please provide the source of information which supports your northern golfers superiority. Likely your just an arse.

Callaway Epic GBB Driver
Callaway X2 Hot 3,5 Woods
Callaway X2 Hot 3, 4 Hybrids
Bridgestone J40 DPC (5-P) Project X 5.5
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB Wedge 52
Bridgestone J40 58 Wedge
Odyssey White Ice 9 Putter

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1421450473' post='10760219']
[/quote]

Minnesota resident here, I play simulator golf relentlessly in the Winter. I actually work on things a lot in there because all of my numbers are displayed right there for me on the screen. Plus when the snow does finally melt I'm at the course every single day after work. Gotta take advantage of the astonishingly little amount of time I get to play haha. Been right around a 2 handicap for the last 3 years.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

[quote name='dlaugust' timestamp='1421989593' post='10801871']
There was a frost delay at the course today, it was windy and never got above 60.
I played golf, had a terrific time.
I went to college in Maine, grew up in PA...and that is why I live in AZ.
[/quote]

I had to laugh yesterday.....I'm playing in a golf tournament for work out in Phoenix in a few weeks and called to talk to the tournament director about something and while I had him on the phone I asked him what the weather was like out there in February as I'd never been. He goes: 'It's still pretty cool in February. I'd say it'll probably be around 80 or so....'

I didn't laugh out loud, but I thought to myself 'It's time to move to Phoenix!' when 80 is on the cool side, that's exactly where I wanna be!

Promptly went to Amazon and ordered 3 pair of Puma Golf Shorts! Bring on the heat!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1422021652' post='10802907']
There was a frost delay at the course today, it was windy and never got above 60.
[/quote]

I had to laugh yesterday.....I'm playing in a golf tournament for work out in Phoenix in a few weeks and called to talk to the tournament director about something and while I had him on the phone I asked him what the weather was like out there in February as I'd never been. He goes: 'It's still pretty cool in February. I'd say it'll probably be around 80 or so....'

I didn't laugh out loud, but I thought to myself 'It's time to move to Phoenix!' when 80 is on the cool side, that's exactly where I wanna be!

Promptly went to Amazon and ordered 3 pair of Puma Golf Shorts! Bring on the heat!
[/quote]

I hear you. I was out there for 4 rounds last week, and it was sunny skies and temps in the low to mid 70's. I didn't see a cloud until I was heading to the airport on the last day.

The early morning was cool, with temps in the upper 50's. However, within an hour of sunrise the temps jumped to the mid 60's. Definitely shorts weather, at least for us snowbirds. The locals are easy to spot, as they're wearing knit caps and polar fleece.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1422027787' post='10803417'][quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1422021652' post='10802907']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Definitely shorts weather, at least for us snowbirds. The locals are easy to spot, as they're wearing knit caps and polar fleece.[/quote]
Quoted for truth!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1422021652' post='10802907'][quote name='dlaugust' timestamp='1421989593' post='10801871']
[/quote]

Promptly went to Amazon and ordered 3 pair of Puma Golf Shorts! Bring on the heat![/quote]
It's a dry heat. So drink lots of water. Even when it's 80.