It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

All this talk about early/late release. Are we talking release from top of the swing, release at impact, release at down swing? Can someone expound

Impact, how and when the club is releasing at impact. Also to do with how much load/lean is on shaft at impact.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

shanks are not caused by shafts

I agree, not caused by the shafts alone. And I won't pretend to know the science behind the way a shaft works throughout a golf swing. But I do know how to find the center of the face pretty consistently, and with the 120 I lost all feeling of where the clubhead was in my swing, and became pretty good at exposing the hosel to the golf ball. I have never hit shanks with my preferred shafts, and I'm not the only one that has had this experience. So although I don't have the knowledge to tell you why, there has to be something there for some individuals that do not fit into the 120 profile.

I'm not trying to argue, and I'm certainly not trying to bash Modus shafts, I love the 125 very dearly. I just don't want the fact that the 120 line can be awesome for many, and very wrong for others, to be dismissed. It's been described as an either love/hate profile from the beginning.

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Why do you suppose you hit more hosels with 120 vs the 125?

I'd like to revisit this since this weekend I hit the absolutely most random hosel rockets. I was in the midst of a great striking round and bam. Hosel rocket OB. Then Sunday I hoseled a 6i approach.

I guess it could be form but I quite literally never had a hosel shank ever with my last set but my new CF16s with the 120X just get the most random ones.

If there is some sort of reason for the 120X leading to a hosel shank I'd be all ears to hearing why.

Last set shafts were KBS 120 stiff. I hit those clean but I had way too much spin and would balloon every shot.

Got fitted on trackman for 120X by Callaway.

Thanks

I had a lot of trouble consistently releasing the 120s. If you want a lower spin Kbs tour I found the SPO to be exactly that.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I'd like to revisit this since this weekend I hit the absolutely most random hosel rockets. I was in the midst of a great striking round and bam. Hosel rocket OB. Then Sunday I hoseled a 6i approach.

I guess it could be form but I quite literally never had a hosel shank ever with my last set but my new CF16s with the 120X just get the most random ones.

If there is some sort of reason for the 120X leading to a hosel shank I'd be all ears to hearing why.

Last set shafts were KBS 120 stiff. I hit those clean but I had way too much spin and would balloon every shot.

Thanks

I had a lot of trouble consistently releasing the 120s. If you want a lower spin Kbs tour I found the SPO to be exactly that.

How would you say the SPB compare to KBS? I ask because that's what I have played for years, and I have some SPB being installed, which I have never hit....

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Thanks

How would you say the SPB compare to KBS? I ask because that's what I have played for years, and I have some SPB being installed, which I have never hit....

I'm not mokedaddy, but having a set with SPB, I'll chime in...

The SPB are a different animal than the KBS Tours. Fortunately, and ironically for the purposes of this thread (lol), I switched one of my sets of Ram Tour Grinds from KBS Tours to Super Peening Blues. I found the KBS Tours to hit a bit higher than what I'm seeing with SPBs, but not especially so. The biggest difference for me was spin. I found myself occasionally spinning shots back with the KBS, even with a 4 iron on a few occasions. The proverbial final straw was spinning back a partial 9 iron shot some 20', off a green.

That was the sign for them to go. :)

KBS are known for being fairly smooth, relatively speaking, but I've found the SPB to be as smooth. They took some of the spin off, as I'd hoped.

They're also a bit heavier. It could be placebo or confirmation bias, but the clubs with SPB feel heavier, though they've been set to the same swingweight as they'd played with the KBS.

A couple random thoughts about going from KBS to SPB...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For me the SPB lasted about as long as the 120s which was only a couple of rounds. Like stated above the biggest difference is weight. And for me the difference was substantial.

I just hit the 125S in a Srixon Z 745 7 iron.

Numbers are:

Launch- 16.4

RPM- 5346

Peak height- 30 yrds

AoD- 44

Carry- 173

I was so surprised at how low the spin was. I didn't get to try them in a different head as the shop was too busy. But I tried the Apex pros with KBS Tour and they were spinning at 7262 and launching 17.5. Peak height 30 yrds. Carry 159.

The PSI were spinning at 6844 and launching 16.3with the XP 105.

Would the spin of the Srixon's be mainly down to shaft or the head? 5346rpm is way too low for a 7. Even though the AoD was slightly lower the peak heights were all similar they were rolling too far. Would the 130 bring the spin up a bit?

I wish I tried the 125 in another head hopefully I'll get a chance later on in the week. I'll go do a different store, they use Flightscope and are outside plus have more staff. But the feel of the 125 were so nice .

I've played quite a few of Nippon shafts in the past couple of years. In my personal preference I'd rate them in the following order from least to greatest:

modus 120, 950, 1050, 1150, modus 125, SPB, modus 105

I've dabbled with the 105 off and on, but have finally put it into play. I went from kbs tour to the SPB back in 2014 and liked the SPB better than the tours for the consistent and balanced feel. I went from SPB to modus 125 in 2015 and ended up missing the SPBs more than I thought I would. The 125s have it all in terms of what I was looking for, but I feel I'm leaving something on the table, and this is where the 105s come in.

The 105s have DG feel and performance in a lighter weight package. I can see why DG users looking to go lighter go with the 105s. The only shaft left to try is the 130, but not sure it'd be worth the gander.

@therealping

I just hit the 125S in a Srixon Z 745 7 iron.

Numbers are:

Launch- 16.4

RPM- 5346

Peak height- 30 yrds

AoD- 44

Carry- 173

I was so surprised at how low the spin was. I didn't get to try them in a different head as the shop was too busy. But I tried the Apex pros with KBS Tour and they were spinning at 7262 and launching 17.5. Peak height 30 yrds. Carry 159.

The PSI were spinning at 6844 and launching 16.3with the XP 105.

Would the spin of the Srixon's be mainly down to shaft or the head? 5346rpm is way too low for a 7. Even though the AoD was slightly lower the peak heights were all similar they were rolling too far. Would the 130 bring the spin up a bit?

I wish I tried the 125 in another head hopefully I'll get a chance later on in the week. I'll go do a different store, they use Flightscope and are outside plus have more staff. But the feel of the 125 were so nice .

I would want the flight scope numbers on that before concluding. 5,500 rpm will still hold a green unless they're completely baked, but yeah I'd still want more spin from the 7.

@therealping

Well, after long long last I finally got to try the Modus 130X shafts that I ordered on a whim prior to joining WRX 2 years ago...

I was playing S300's and have played S300's since I was in middle school. As I got older, and my swing got better and more efficient I felt like the S300 was going too high, with too much spin, and I could only ever hit a big draw with them. Again I bought the 130's completely blind, had no idea they were "high launch" , then I read that the 130's in X were rebar LOL. What I found was they feel so amazing through impact, soft with a nice "snap" right at impact. With the S300's I'd get that snap feeling about what felt like to me halfway during my downswing, like it was kicking way too early. Not with the Modus 130's, nice and stable, nice little snap through the ball, good balance. Ball flight, this is where it's awesome for me, I definitely gained distance through the bag, the ball got up and just kept going, cutting through the wind even. And as far as control goes, hop and stop, even with the longer irons. I also have WAY WAY less curve, and it almost seems like I can't miss the green with these things, even when I felt I didn't hit it great I look up and it's a little offline with almost no curve at all. I'm over the moon, and so thankful these fit my swing. I thought I had made a huge mistake with these shafts but after trying them I'll never switch. Very addicting feel. I glad I finally got to contribute to the thread as well after like 2 years of lurking LOL :)

did u get a chance to try 130s

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Wanted to drop another comment in. I think I read somewhere in this thread Mark's comments about wedge shafts. My pro loves to tinker with wedges. He has 5-6 different shaft combos in his 2 wedge set up. I have a set of Vokeys with the standard S200s and a set of Glides with S400 TI. I love the S400 TI. No matter what shaft I play in irons I default back to those. Since I had show some interest in Nippons he handed me his stepped 125x. He has 2 differetn versiosn: 1 is a 9 iron for tighter dispersion and the other is an 8 iron for a softer feel. These absolutely are S400 TI clones with even better feel. Really solid thump at the bottom with that nice heavy feel. I think I prefer the 9 iron as I am carrying a 52-58 combo and need to hit more full shots with both at times to stretch yardages. Needless to say, I have 2 9 iron X flex on order to go with some 130s in stiff for my irons. I asked him about the Modus wedge shafts and he never tried the new rebranded versions. He did try them as WVs and he did not like them. I do not know the reason but after hitting his today, I like what I am feeling.

They're also a bit heavier. It could be placebo or confirmation bias, but the clubs with SPB feel heavier, though they've been set to the same swingweight as they'd played with the KBS.

For me the SPB lasted about as long as the 120s which was only a couple of rounds. Like stated above the biggest difference is weight. And for me the difference was substantial.

I just wanted to add...

For me, the heavier weight of the SPB is good. I like heavier shafts, generally speaking, and play my irons around D5 on the swingweight scale.

If I could get 100g graphites for my woods without spending stupid money, I'd be quite happy. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I too play my short irons at d5 and wedges at d6 but find 120g shaft weight to be my sweet spot.

Thanks

The SPB are a different animal than the KBS Tours. Fortunately, and ironically for the purposes of this thread (lol), I switched one of my sets of Ram Tour Grinds from KBS Tours to Super Peening Blues. I found the KBS Tours to hit a bit higher than what I'm seeing with SPBs, but not especially so. The biggest difference for me was spin. I found myself occasionally spinning shots back with the KBS, even with a 4 iron on a few occasions. The proverbial final straw was spinning back a partial 9 iron shot some 20', off a green.

KBS are known for being fairly smooth, relatively speaking, but I've found the SPB to be as smooth. They took some of the spin off, as I'd hoped.

This is great information and I appreciate you taking the time to post it. It sounds like it should be exactly what I am looking for.

I am coming from KBS Tour Stiff in a set of 714 AP2's, and going to SPB Stiffs in a set of 2013 X Forged. SS with 6 iron is about 91, 185, quick tempo.

I like the feel of KBS vs. DG, and have a mid launch with KBS, but they spin, and are not great in into/crosswinds.

I have seen conflicting info on how stiff the SPB play (some say weak), were you playing stiff or x, and do you have any thoughts?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

This is great information and I appreciate you taking the time to post it. It sounds like it should be exactly what I am looking for.

I am coming from KBS Tour Stiff in a set of 714 AP2's, and going to SPB Stiffs in a set of 2013 X Forged. SS with 6 iron is about 91, 185, quick tempo.

I like the feel of KBS vs. DG, and have a mid launch with KBS, but they spin, and are not great in into/crosswinds.

I have seen conflicting info on how stiff the SPB play (some say weak), were you playing stiff or x, and do you have any thoughts?

I went from KBS Tour X to SPB X. I noticed the stiffer feel in the butt section of the KBS Tours, compared to either DG or SPB, and I also could feel the stiffer tip section in the latter two shafts. It's not like the tip was super weak in the KBS Tours, we're talking about X's, but it was noticeably softer than the DG/SPB.

I've seen it read that SPB feel slightly weaker than similar flex DG, though I've also seen not everyone has agreed. ;) After using them off and on this past year, I can see that line of thought. That said, I don't feel they play softer. They *do* feel smoother than DG, and it could be that smoother feel prompting some of the SPB-softer commentary.

Along those lines, I have a problem with overswinging with my long irons, causing the appearance of Mr Snappy. I find it somewhat harder to do that with the SPBs than I do with other shafts.

In the nature of FWIW, about my game... my last swing session where I paid attention to swingspeed, I was swinging my 6 iron 92-93 mph, and could get a couple more if I wished. My tempo is average, but I appear to have a transition on the harder side; I've generally done better with slightly stiffer shafts. This swing session was a few years ago, though, and I feel I may have lost a bit of distance, maybe a half club, in the past season or two, which would mean a couple mph slower. (yay back problems)

Using the SPB-shafted set for a couple months, combined with my swingspeed recession, has me wondering if I'd have been better off with a set of stiffs, hardstepped. I still use a 2 iron quite a bit, softstepping the X takes that club out of play. And that would be bad.

Interestingly, even when I dropped down to a set with DGS or similar, I could still use my 53° wedge with SPB X with no trouble.

Of course, if I'm able to regain those few mph.... <insert pipe dream here>

Hope all this rambling helps a bit :)

I went from KBS Tour X to SPB X. I noticed the stiffer feel in the butt section of the KBS Tours, compared to either DG or SPB, and I also could feel the stiffer tip section in the latter two shafts. It's not like the tip was super weak in the KBS Tours, we're talking about X's, but it was noticeably softer than the DG/SPB.

I've seen it read that SPB feel slightly weaker than similar flex DG, though I've also seen not everyone has agreed. ;) After using them off and on this past year, I can see that line of thought. That said, I don't feel they play softer. They *do* feel smoother than DG, and it could be that smoother feel prompting some of the SPB-softer commentary.

Along those lines, I have a problem with overswinging with my long irons, causing the appearance of Mr Snappy. I find it somewhat harder to do that with the SPBs than I do with other shafts.

In the nature of FWIW, about my game... my last swing session where I paid attention to swingspeed, I was swinging my 6 iron 92-93 mph, and could get a couple more if I wished. My tempo is average, but I appear to have a transition on the harder side; I've generally done better with slightly stiffer shafts. This swing session was a few years ago, though, and I feel I may have lost a bit of distance, maybe a half club, in the past season or two, which would mean a couple mph slower. (yay back problems)

Using the SPB-shafted set for a couple months, combined with my swingspeed recession, has me wondering if I'd have been better off with a set of stiffs, hardstepped. I still use a 2 iron quite a bit, softstepping the X takes that club out of play. And that would be bad.

Interestingly, even when I dropped down to a set with DGS or similar, I could still use my 53° wedge with SPB X with no trouble.

Of course, if I'm able to regain those few mph.... <insert pipe dream here>

Hope all this rambling helps a bit :)

Awesome, thanks a lot. With my SS being slightly less than yours, it sounds like a stiff straight in should be fine.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I'm not a pro but I have switched to Nippon.

Last week while getting fitted, I absolutely fell in love with the X-105. The flex plays closer to a DG S100. The X105 was very smooth and at the same time, you can trust it if you really want to get into a swing.

After 7+ years playing with DG X100, the X105 had me kicking myself for not trying her sooner.

Last week while getting fitted, I absolutely fell in love with the X-105. The flex plays closer to a DG S100. The X105 was very smooth and at the same time, you can trust it if you really want to get into a swing.

After 7+ years playing with DG X100, the X105 had me kicking myself for not trying her sooner.

+1 I couldn't agree more. I don't the Modus 105 or ST Prototype gets as much love as it deserves around here.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

S100? Can you speak a little more about the 105 compared to some other shafts you've played including the x100?

Mark has posted quite a few times with his detailed thoughts and experience on the 105 and it seems like your yours is a bit different so I am just curious about your findings as well.

S100? Can you speak a little more about the 105 compared to some other shafts you've played including the x100?

Mark has posted quite a few times with his detailed thoughts and experience on the 105 and it seems like your yours is a bit different so I am just curious about your findings as well.

Can you post a link to his thoughts on the 105?

In my opinion, the X105 played less stiff than the X100. The mid section felt softer while the tip felt just as stiff if that makes any sense.

Also, my X100's made the club feel balanced in weight. The 105's make the club head heavy which I like. I feel like I know where the club head is through the entire swing. With the X100's I felt like I lost the club head sometimes. I just feel like I have more club head control with the 105's.

The S100's honestly feel more stiff than the X105's.

I also hit the XP95's which were a little too light for my liking. I was ballooning a 6 iron just a little too much.

I also hit the PX 6.5 and 7.0. Didn't really like the feel of them at all. They both felt like the X100's I've been playing.

i didnt realize that the 105 was so stout

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

What do you mean?

he said he thought it made the head feel heavy

What do you mean?

he said he thought it made the head feel heavy

Oh okay. Yes, I would definitely agree with that statement. I think that's why I personally liked them so much. I felt like I knew where the head was at all times through the swing.

With my X100's I feel like I lose the head on my long irons once in a while.

So I got to play some again, the Modus 130X fit me like a glove. I've never hit my irons so straight, ever. The trajectory is high, but cuts through the wind with ease. I played in 16-28 mph winds and had no trouble with ballooning at all. I'm not much on hitting punch shots, I like to take more club, and just swing smooth. Even the smooth swings the impact felt so soft. I enjoy the slight counterbalance too, the club head seems stable and fast through impact, could just be me though.

Now I might have to get some Nippon Wedge shafts, eventually. I might just go with the same in my wedges.

Happy New Year!