It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

First range session complete. 40 degrees and quite windy. I'm smitten. Honey moon in full effect I suppose. Not sure if I'm a fan of Srixon now or of the modus 130 shafts. Either way, this combo is silly. I agree with those that mentioned the nice little thump these shafts produce through the ball. Compared to my tried and true CTapers, I'm a bit dumb founded by how smooth this setup is. I can see why guys would consider the X flex in these shafts, as they are deceiving (perhaps) smooth through the swing and impact. I've read the X is beastly though. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my wedges.... really hoping this range session, feel, performance translates on course. The ball flight is quite high with these, but the ball definitely held its line on nice strikes. Todays wind was perfect to see how the ball would react. Best part of these is, snagged them on ebay for $5 bills. Done and done.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I just received my set of Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges. I went 105S in the 565 4-iron and 125S in the 5-P 765 with 125S Wedge shafts in the RTX3. Only range time, but very impressive thus far! I can't wait to get them to the course this weekend!

I'll check back after a round or two.

thats a great combo set im looking at the same thing. currently doing the demo of 105s vs 120x ss1x with 565 and 765 and they are just awesome. how did u decide to get the 765 starting with the 5 iron?

I just took a look at the 565's vs 765's on the rack and thought the 4 looked a bit more inviting in the 565.

Oddly enough, the preliminary testing on the range shows that Mark's shaft chart is spot on. I'm finding the 105 to be just as stiff as the 125. The ball flights are different, but the smooth feel is there with both.

I've owned the 765 with 120 and did not like them at all. The 105 & 125 are feeling great thus far. Honesty, a 115 between the two would be perfect!

To me...the Steelfiber 110 Stiff straight in feel more stout (boardy) than the 130s Stiff straight it.

I won't get another set with SteelFiber 110s...or Modus 120s.

I will likely get another set with 130s.

Finally tested the 105x vs the 130s - 105x felt super smooth (light and effortless almost) through the impact zone

The 130s was more work there, but had a great snap coming out of the zone

Slightly better ballspeed and height out of the 130s

These were 8 irons though....

Leaning toward the 105x right now - not settled

any view as to my concern that the 130s will feel more 'laborous' in the longer irons - 3,4,5?

thank you

a long time 130s user here. my game is down the toilet after second kid and I am actually testing 125s and 105x at the moment due to 'laborous' nature of 130 if you don't get to play every week... you should be ok with 5 iron but 3 and 4 does require little bit of work. 130s on 3 and 4 will definitely not work with you if your game is not sharp for the day. even though 105 is xstiff, it does balloon on some shots here and there. 130 was perfect for me because it wasn't too high and very very penetrating flights for me. If you like 130s, keep them in short irons and use 105x on long irons.

Great Insight and thoughts. Thanks a ton

Interesting call - anyone else have a view on this? splitting between 105x and 130s?

Mark, j9000 or Awtryau ?

appreciated

People who have used the 125 wedge shafts, how do they compare to the 125/130 iron shafts. Them not have a marked flex makes me nervous that they will be a bit soft or too loose on full wedge shots. Curious if most people are using the irons shafts in their wedges.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I'm not using the 125 iron shaft in my wedges, but I like the 125 Wedge shaft thus far. I have my first round on them, but there is nothing wrong with them. They are not as stout or heavy as S400's, but they feel very smooth and the weight is plenty hefty for a wedge shaft. I'll know more after I get some rounds on them. I like the feel of the 125 iron wedge shaft and can see how that might work well in the wedges too. You probably win either way and it may be just splitting hairs.

I'm not using the 125 iron shaft in my wedges, but I like the 125 Wedge shaft thus far. I have my first round on them, but there is nothing wrong with them. They are not as stout or heavy as S400's, but they feel very smooth and the weight is plenty hefty for a wedge shaft. I'll know more after I get some rounds on them. I like the feel of the 125 iron wedge shaft and can see how that might work well in the wedges too. You probably win either way and it may be just splitting hairs.

Thanks man - I figured that would be the case. Let me know your thoughts after some more use, particularly on full shots or shots where you give it a little umph.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

People who have used the 125 wedge shafts, how do they compare to the 125/130 iron shafts. Them not have a marked flex makes me nervous that they will be a bit soft or too loose on full wedge shots. Curious if most people are using the irons shafts in their wedges.

Just built some engages with 125 wedge shafts. I'll be comparing to S400's for the next few weeks. So far really liking the 125's a lot. Like stated above, not quite as beefy/heavy feeling as S400, they absolutely feel like a modus and perform like them, too.

To me...the Steelfiber 110 Stiff straight in feel more stout (boardy) than the 130s Stiff straight it.

Finally tested the 105x vs the 130s - 105x felt super smooth (light and effortless almost) through the impact zone

any view as to my concern that the 130s will feel more 'laborous' in the longer irons - 3,4,5?

thank you

a long time 130s user here. my game is down the toilet after second kid and I am actually testing 125s and 105x at the moment due to 'laborous' nature of 130 if you don't get to play every week... you should be ok with 5 iron but 3 and 4 does require little bit of work. 130s on 3 and 4 will definitely not work with you if your game is not sharp for the day. even though 105 is xstiff, it does balloon on some shots here and there. 130 was perfect for me because it wasn't too high and very very penetrating flights for me. If you like 130s, keep them in short irons and use 105x on long irons.

Interesting call - anyone else have a view on this? splitting between 105x and 130s?

Mark, j9000 or Awtryau ?

appreciated

thinking more about this setup

any thoughts on mixing the set as per above

vs soft-stepping the 130s' one or even twice in the longer irons to mitigate the 'labour'?

if I don't feel like i am overpowering the 105x in the likes of an 8 iron really, they should be great in the longer irons, agree?

Ballspeed and height both better with the 130s, so tempted on them overall and in the scoring irons

Need some experienced options

help please

appreciated

My opinion only but I am not a fan of mixing shafts as mentioned. I did not like the porgressive sets from other manufacturers and want all of my irons to feel the same. The DG AMTs were the best because the manipulated the progression with weight. Even so, not a fan.

That is a real concern of mine as well - very different shafts really....

to follow up, if one were double-soft stepping already and starting to struggle with the 130s in the mid irons, would you recommend just going with the 105x and calling it a day?

or do you think that the 130s aren't really that more challenging in the longer irons and if one can get the 8i or 6i down, should really be no difference in the longer irons..

views apprecaited

thank you

Mark, j9000 or Awtryau ?

appreciated

I'm not really a fan of mixing shafts. So many variables already exist. Why add another.

In regards to 105 vs 130, I personally like the 105 better. I played DG X100 for the past 8 years and honestly, I just became tired of having to work too hard with the 3, 4 and sometimes even the 5.

The 105 gave me a lower ball flight with slightly more spin than the 130. Don't get me wrong, the 130 wasn't ballooning but the flight was higher launching. It got up super quick where as the 105 had a gradual ascent.

Swing speed also increased with the 105. I normally come in right around 93-94 with a 6i. The 105 was getting me up to 96.

If I had one bad thing to say about the 105 it would be the fact that it's easy to overload. It will handle any swing speed you throw at it however it does not play nice with a fast transition. Your tempo should be moderately smooth. If not, your dispersion will be effected.

I think you said it best in your original statement though. The 105 is just so damn smooth. If I could describe it with one word it would be "effortless".

I like the nips I was playing last year, but I have a higher swing speed, and I was using a lighter x flex shaft...ended up bending the tips of 4 shafts just from regular play. So I'm back to me c tapers.

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

I like the nips I was playing last year, but I have a higher swing speed, and I was using a lighter x flex shaft...ended up bending the tips of 4 shafts just from regular play. So I'm back to me c tapers.

Ive bent more c-tapers in S+ and X, countless others have too, most actually avoid C-taper all together due to constant bent tips. I've never bent a DG or Nippon. Surprised to hear it.

Ive bent more c-tapers in S+ and X, countless others have too, most actually avoid C-taper all together due to constant bent tips. I've never bent a DG or Nippon. Surprised to hear it.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing - C-Tapers are infamous for bending after only a few rounds with them. I used to strictly play C-Taper 130X but after replacing 7+ shafts and seeing the numbers the Modus 130X were giving me it was a no brainer. My flight actually became a more penetrating/lower flight with the Modus 130 believe it or not.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Same here considering their proprietary heat treatment process creates some of the most durable steel in the world.

currently doing a demo of 765 with 105s and so far it is so good, smooth and very forgiving

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

thank you

Mark, j9000 or Awtryau ?

appreciated

I'm not really a fan of mixing shafts. So many variables already exist. Why add another.

In regards to 105 vs 130, I personally like the 105 better. I played DG X100 for the past 8 years and honestly, I just became tired of having to work too hard with the 3, 4 and sometimes even the 5.

The 105 gave me a lower ball flight with slightly more spin than the 130. Don't get me wrong, the 130 wasn't ballooning but the flight was higher launching. It got up super quick where as the 105 had a gradual ascent.

Swing speed also increased with the 105. I normally come in right around 93-94 with a 6i. The 105 was getting me up to 96.

If I had one bad thing to say about the 105 it would be the fact that it's easy to overload. It will handle any swing speed you throw at it however it does not play nice with a fast transition. Your tempo should be moderately smooth. If not, your dispersion will be effected.

I think you said it best in your original statement though. The 105 is just so damn smooth. If I could describe it with one word it would be "effortless".

This is great honest guidance - much appreciated

i guess the only way to find out - as per awtryau89 - is to try out the 5 iron with both shafts head to head

8 irons are one thing, but dropping down to the 5 should be telling

also, agree with concerns over mixing sets - what about single stepping 130s 7 through p and double-stepping 130s 3 through 6 ?

getting cute maybe, but should that not mitigate the 'labour' ?

appreciate thoughts

What Nippon Modus shaft would you all recommend for me to look at if I currently play KBS Tour V X flex? W

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

What Nippon Modus shaft would you all recommend for me to look at if I currently play KBS Tour V X flex? W

I'm sure others will be of more help, but I think the Modus 130 and the Tour V might have similar bend profiles.

Yep, 130 should be a good fit. 130S is usually stout enough for most mortals.

I'm sure others will be of more help, but I think the Modus 130 and the Tour V might have similar bend profiles.

Yep, 130 should be a good fit. 130S is usually stout enough for most mortals.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll definitely take a look.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

I would look at the stiff hard stepped or straight in. It will keep you in the ballpark weight wise with the Tour V. I came from the Tour V 110 stiff straight to the Modus 130 stiff. If I am very honest, for my swing, I actually think the Tour V was ultimately the better shaft. It is slightly softer and has a bit more progressive bend profile than the 130. It is just a touch easier to load and is overall lighter which helps later in rounds. It cannot touch the Nippon feel and consistency though and what keeps me in the Modus is the ability to put bad swings on the 130s and not get punished with crazy hooks or blocks. I am still amazed sometimes when I just absolutely double cross myself and the ball is 10 yards left of the green where the KBS would be in the woods.

I wanted to wait til after 3 rounds with my test club to voice my opinion. I have Srixon z945's and have a hard stepped 130 stiff in play right now. I did it in the 9 iron and on paper these shafts would not fit me but what I have seen over the last couple of days is awesome. The flight is high but still penetrating and the wind doesn't cause the ball to balloon like many of the other shafts I have tried. The only other thing that was close to this was a steel fiber 110 stiff hard stepped or the Nippon super peening blues. While a lot of people say that hard stepping 1 time might be a slight tweak I find a major difference. The flight comes down a touch but I drop 300-500 rpm's when hard stepping. The 130 feels very heavy in your hands as everyone else has said but I think that helps me with the plane. With lighter shafts I get to under the plane and get a little flippy at impact, and almost never take a divot. My 9 iron was a stock 150 with the steel fibers and project x lz but with these I get about 155 to 158. My playing partners all said order these on the first day I had it out, the flight is high and it does not turn a lot. I can usually hook a 9 iron 30-40 yards easy with the flip but with these the ball starts at the right side of the green and turns to the center or maybe the left side at worst, they are just really straight for me. The thing that impressed me the most is the wear pattern this shaft is having for me. There is a quarter sized ball mark on my 9 iron since this was installed. The range balls leave a mark after each ball (almost like using impact tape), and this is as good as it gets for me. The one thing I will say about the feel is they are smooth but not as nice as the project x lz,on an average shot but when you flush them the 130 feels better.

I would just encourage everyone to try them all even if on paper a shaft doesn't fit you, because you never know, these shouldn't fit me.

I share the same sentiments as most regarding the 130's. The ball gets up quick and goes, however I can flight it down easily. The shaft seems to lower spin slightly which is nice for me because I'm naturally a "high spin" player. It has a nice impact feel with a slight snap or kick through the ball. But by far the most impressive thing is it seems this shaft if forgiving, like you really really have to screw up your swing to get the ball to go offline.

I also agree with Bogey_Fly_By that they are worth trying even if they don't fit you on paper. On paper these shouldn't fit me either. I'll never change them as the tick all the boxes and flat out perform.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]