2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I wanted to wait til after 3 rounds with my test club to voice my opinion. I have Srixon z945's and have a hard stepped 130 stiff in play right now. I did it in the 9 iron and on paper these shafts would not fit me but what I have seen over the last couple of days is awesome. The flight is high but still penetrating and the wind doesn't cause the ball to balloon like many of the other shafts I have tried. The only other thing that was close to this was a steel fiber 110 stiff hard stepped or the Nippon super peening blues. While a lot of people say that hard stepping 1 time might be a slight tweak I find a major difference. The flight comes down a touch but I drop 300-500 rpm's when hard stepping. The 130 feels very heavy in your hands as everyone else has said but I think that helps me with the plane. With lighter shafts I get to under the plane and get a little flippy at impact, and almost never take a divot. My 9 iron was a stock 150 with the steel fibers and project x lz but with these I get about 155 to 158. My playing partners all said order these on the first day I had it out, the flight is high and it does not turn a lot. I can usually hook a 9 iron 30-40 yards easy with the flip but with these the ball starts at the right side of the green and turns to the center or maybe the left side at worst, they are just really straight for me. The thing that impressed me the most is the wear pattern this shaft is having for me. There is a quarter sized ball mark on my 9 iron since this was installed. The range balls leave a mark after each ball (almost like using impact tape), and this is as good as it gets for me. The one thing I will say about the feel is they are smooth but not as nice as the project x lz,on an average shot but when you flush them the 130 feels better.

I would just encourage everyone to try them all even if on paper a shaft doesn't fit you, because you never know, these shouldn't fit me.

Really appreciate this insight Bogey_Fly_By

debating 105x vs the 130s and still on the fence

couple of questions - why is it you wouldn't think these shafts 'fit' you? Are you a late release / hard transition swing? approximate driver or 8i or 6i clubhead speed?

Just for reference

very intrigued by the 130, but the 105x feels so smooth it almost has me

hitting inside on trackman though...few months until get outside and trying to gather maximum information for the decision

apppreciated

I wanted to wait til after 3 rounds with my test club to voice my opinion. I have Srixon z945's and have a hard stepped 130 stiff in play right now. I did it in the 9 iron and on paper these shafts would not fit me but what I have seen over the last couple of days is awesome. The flight is high but still penetrating and the wind doesn't cause the ball to balloon like many of the other shafts I have tried. The only other thing that was close to this was a steel fiber 110 stiff hard stepped or the Nippon super peening blues. While a lot of people say that hard stepping 1 time might be a slight tweak I find a major difference. The flight comes down a touch but I drop 300-500 rpm's when hard stepping. The 130 feels very heavy in your hands as everyone else has said but I think that helps me with the plane. With lighter shafts I get to under the plane and get a little flippy at impact, and almost never take a divot. My 9 iron was a stock 150 with the steel fibers and project x lz but with these I get about 155 to 158. My playing partners all said order these on the first day I had it out, the flight is high and it does not turn a lot. I can usually hook a 9 iron 30-40 yards easy with the flip but with these the ball starts at the right side of the green and turns to the center or maybe the left side at worst, they are just really straight for me. The thing that impressed me the most is the wear pattern this shaft is having for me. There is a quarter sized ball mark on my 9 iron since this was installed. The range balls leave a mark after each ball (almost like using impact tape), and this is as good as it gets for me. The one thing I will say about the feel is they are smooth but not as nice as the project x lz,on an average shot but when you flush them the 130 feels better.

I would just encourage everyone to try them all even if on paper a shaft doesn't fit you, because you never know, these shouldn't fit me.

Really appreciate this insight Bogey_Fly_By

debating 105x vs the 130s and still on the fence

couple of questions - why is it you wouldn't think these shafts 'fit' you? Are you a late release / hard transition swing? approximate driver or 8i or 6i clubhead speed?

Just for reference

very intrigued by the 130, but the 105x feels so smooth it almost has me

hitting inside on trackman though...few months until get outside and trying to gather maximum information for the decision

apppreciated

I am around 92 with a 6 iron with a medium transition and was an early releaser. With these I think the either the profile or most or the weight being in the hands helps me stop the flip as I am taking a divot with these and nothing else really. It seems weird that a shaft profile could help stop a swing flaw Right now I just have the 9 iron hard stepped but I do have the rest on the way. I can't wait to get out there with them and see what they can do. Just as a reference point I draw the 9 iron about 5-6 yards and the lz's 8 or wedge are atleast 10-15 yards and on bad shots they are over 20 yards. These are much straighter and I no longer have to take 2 clubs with a 1 club breeze. Maybe since I am not flipping as bad but I did hit it down wind to a 172 flag and came about 7 short, in all honesty I didn't think it could get there but it was sure trying.

Mark and MJ, did you see these? What do you know?

http://www.golfwrx.c...anagement-open/

Nicely done Nippon, nice simple way to keep their product fresh I think. I'm sure it'll have some differentiation from their other models all well.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I wish! I was hoping they would've reported on anything new while at the show. I'm sure Mark has an inkling of info about these (hopefully). I know they have your attention.

Oh yes they do!

I wish these would've came out earlier so the club manufactures could put these on the no up charge list!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not using the 125 iron shaft in my wedges, but I like the 125 Wedge shaft thus far. I have my first round on them, but there is nothing wrong with them. They are not as stout or heavy as S400's, but they feel very smooth and the weight is plenty hefty for a wedge shaft. I'll know more after I get some rounds on them. I like the feel of the 125 iron wedge shaft and can see how that might work well in the wedges too. You probably win either way and it may be just splitting hairs.

Thanks man - I figured that would be the case. Let me know your thoughts after some more use, particularly on full shots or shots where you give it a little umph.

First off, the 125's in the 765 are a very nice pairing. I may need to get the 765's bent a little weak since I'm a low ball hitter anyway, and the lofts on the 765's are a tad stronger than I'm used to. Approach shots had no problem holding greens with ample spin though. The ball flight is just lower than I'm used to seeing, which is not all bad. Very controlled and knock downs are just a blast with these shafts. I'd consider them a firm but not overly stout shaft with that Nippon smoothness throughout.

The Modus 125 Wedge shafts are not as stiff as the 125 iron shafts, but share that smooth Nippon feel. They are not as heavy or burly feeling as S400's. They are especially wonderful around the greens, though they are VERY straight paired with the RTX3's on shots from 120 and in.

I only have a few range sessions and one round on them, so I'll check back in after I get more time on them. I give both 125's a thumbs up for now.

I wish! I was hoping they would've reported on anything new while at the show. I'm sure Mark has an inkling of info about these (hopefully). I know they have your attention.

From Twitter this morning!

Tour issue only now. We do not release spec or performance on prototype shafts, as designs can change during the prototype stage.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not using the 125 iron shaft in my wedges, but I like the 125 Wedge shaft thus far. I have my first round on them, but there is nothing wrong with them. They are not as stout or heavy as S400's, but they feel very smooth and the weight is plenty hefty for a wedge shaft. I'll know more after I get some rounds on them. I like the feel of the 125 iron wedge shaft and can see how that might work well in the wedges too. You probably win either way and it may be just splitting hairs.

Thanks man - I figured that would be the case. Let me know your thoughts after some more use, particularly on full shots or shots where you give it a little umph.

First off, the 125's in the 765 are a very nice pairing. I may need to get the 765's bent a little weak since I'm a low ball hitter anyway, and the lofts on the 765's are a tad stronger than I'm used to. Approach shots had no problem holding greens with ample spin though. The ball flight is just lower than I'm used to seeing, which is not all bad. Very controlled and knock downs are just a blast with these shafts. I'd consider them a firm but not overly stout shaft with that Nippon smoothness throughout.

The Modus 125 Wedge shafts are not as stiff as the 125 iron shafts, but share that smooth Nippon feel. They are not as heavy or burly feeling as S400's. They are especially wonderful around the greens, though they are VERY straight paired with the RTX3's on shots from 120 and in.

I only have a few range sessions and one round on them, so I'll check back in after I get more time on them. I give both 125's a thumbs up for now.

Sounds about right! I echo the Modus Wedge is a touch softer, IMO an S200 type shaft. The Tour125 iron shaft in the wedges has been pretty great for me too. I play the 125 X in my GW as I tend to use it for more full swings. Might go to the 125S in the sand/lob if I had to but I am still gaming the C10 Proto in Stiff which isn't ever leaving my bag. I may have to put them in my will when I die to pass on to someone else.

I find the Tour125 to be a more consistent launch than Dynamic Gold and feels infinitely better. DG could be a low bullet or a balloon moon ball, just seemed like I couldn't get the timing down due to the softer butt section. Tour125 gives me proper feedback and lets me set and release with feeling I like. I think the Tour125 is a mid-launch shaft with mid-spin. I am a high ball hitter naturally so I may end up going the opposite of you and strengthen my lofts. I currently game the ZTX-II but will be looking into Z745 and Z765 this summer I think.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

:tomato: :pimp: :beta:

What happened to the little emoji zipping up his mouth? haha. I know of the proto A, I have hit the proto A. As I posted in the thread specifically for it, I don't believe there is any plan at this time for a public release (Which apparently Twitter confirmed.) I think its just an idea someone put into action, maybe a proof of concept if you will of a stepless Nippon. I am not aware of a full set of them, only the 1 lone shaft. It's been around since the 2016 PGA Demo Day at least. They had both the LSL and the Proto A at the demo day last year in 6 irons. I know of at least one complete LSL set, but not the A. I don't know of any LSL's in non-Nippon hands. As to say a pro or an insider that could bump one out to ebay. But you can bet your asymptotes I have an eBay search following with notifications for Nippon LSL. haha.

I like the nips I was playing last year, but I have a higher swing speed, and I was using a lighter x flex shaft...ended up bending the tips of 4 shafts just from regular play. So I'm back to me c tapers.

Don't act like you didn't enjoy hitting 8 iron 190 yards! :superman: :pimp:

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I like the nips I was playing last year, but I have a higher swing speed, and I was using a lighter x flex shaft...ended up bending the tips of 4 shafts just from regular play. So I'm back to me c tapers.

Ive bent more c-tapers in S+ and X, countless others have too, most actually avoid C-taper all together due to constant bent tips. I've never bent a DG or Nippon. Surprised to hear it.

Thats strange! I have been using the same set of C-Taper 130X's for 2 years now, and had no issues.

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

Ive bent more c-tapers in S+ and X, countless others have too, most actually avoid C-taper all together due to constant bent tips. I've never bent a DG or Nippon. Surprised to hear it.

Thats strange! I have been using the same set of C-Taper 130X's for 2 years now, and had no issues.

Can depend if you're a digger or a sweeper. Also how temperamental you are with your equipment.

Interested in further feedback and others' views of the 125 wedge shaft both around the green as well as full shots

Interested in further feedback and others' views of the 125 wedge shaft both around the green as well as full shots

apologies for messing up that reply last night

here it is more clearly,

matching with a set of 105x or 130s to gap wedge, then sand and lob in the 125 wedge

appreciated

:tomato: :pimp: :beta:

What happened to the little emoji zipping up his mouth? haha. I know of the proto A, I have hit the proto A. As I posted in the thread specifically for it, I don't believe there is any plan at this time for a public release (Which apparently Twitter confirmed.) I think its just an idea someone put into action, maybe a proof of concept if you will of a stepless Nippon. I am not aware of a full set of them, only the 1 lone shaft. It's been around since the 2016 PGA Demo Day at least. They had both the LSL and the Proto A at the demo day last year in 6 irons. I know of at least one complete LSL set, but not the A. I don't know of any LSL's in non-Nippon hands. As to say a pro or an insider that could bump one out to ebay. But you can bet your asymptotes I have an eBay search following with notifications for Nippon LSL. haha.

mark,

your pm box is full, send me one, i have some info that you may find interesting with regards to the lsl proto's

Can depend if you're a digger or a sweeper. Also how temperamental you are with your equipment.

Probably more of a digger. Not temperamental with my irons at all.

Odyssey Black Series 1W

Don't act like you didn't enjoy hitting 8 iron 190 yards! :superman: :pimp:

Would've been nice if it was intended. But I'm not DJ.

Odyssey Black Series 1W

apologies for messing up that reply last night

here it is more clearly,

matching with a set of 105x or 130s to gap wedge, then sand and lob in the 125 wedge

appreciated

I will put a few more rounds on them before I make the call, and I'll put some more full swings on them to test the feel. Around the greens, they feel great. I've only had a few full swings using the wedge specific shafts. I think Mark mentioned using the PW or 8-iron shaft as a wedge shaft. That option might give a tighter feel on full shots just based on the way the PW and 8 feel in my 765's.

Random serendipitous find...

GolfWorks now has a product listing for both the Modus 105 and 120 in .370 tip. Previously, only the 130 was shown as offered in both taper and parallel.

Might not seem too important, but I actually have a use for a .370 tip Modus shaft; have a set of heads that are all .355 bore from 2-9 irons, but the PW was oddly bored to .370. Now I have more Modus options for this set, beyond the 130. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

GolfWorks now has a product listing for both the Modus 105 and 120 in .370 tip. Previously, only the 130 was shown as offered in both taper and parallel.

Might not seem too important, but I actually have a use for a .370 tip Modus shaft; have a set of heads that are all .355 bore from 2-9 irons, but the PW was oddly bored to .370. Now I have more Modus options for this set, beyond the 130. :)

Could it be an error on the GolfWorks site? Nippon still only shows .355.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Could well be <shrug>

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

nippon 105 s and 120x ss1x are both so good and feel great

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Could well be <shrug>

You can just shim a .355" into a .370" hosel anyways.

I tested these shafts the other day. Buddy of mine set me up with an mp5 head from mizuno cart,and said hit these shafts. Ns pro 950 felt nice,105 meh,120meh then tried the 130. Wow!!! Found my new iron shafts.

I'm long time project x user. Flighted and non flighted 6.5 and 6.0. Not a high spin player,but do have high launch. Funny thing is the ns pro 950 and the modus 130 both felt great to me. The 105,and 120 just were meh. Am I the only one that found this out hitting these shafts?

Tried nippon before. Have the WV wedge shaft and won't play another wedge shaft. Unfortunately, these are hard to find now.

I tested these shafts the other day. Buddy of mine set me up with an mp5 head from mizuno cart,and said hit these shafts. Ns pro 950 felt nice,105 meh,120meh then tried the 130. Wow!!! Found my new iron shafts.

I'm long time project x user. Flighted and non flighted 6.5 and 6.0. Not a high spin player,but do have high launch. Funny thing is the ns pro 950 and the modus 130 both felt great to me. The 105,and 120 just were meh. Am I the only one that found this out hitting these shafts?

Tried nippon before. Have the WV wedge shaft and won't play another wedge shaft. Unfortunately, these are hard to find now.

That's interesting,, I've also always played PX 6.0 shafts. I just switched to 105x.. I liked it better than the 120 or 130.... That shows the value in testing them out.... everyone is different

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Could well be <shrug>

You can just shim a .355" into a .370" hosel anyways.

True, but I was hoping to avoid the shim. If I have to, I'll do it, but... ;)

Like the guy above, I also thought the 105x felt the best. This is also coming from a long time DG X100 user. I thought I was going to like the 130 better but it was the 105 that I liked.

Different strokes

I have both the 105 & 125 now and like them both. I've owned the 120 & 130 in the past and didn't care for them.

Just goes to show how important it is to be fit for these shafts beforehand if possible. Nippon provides such a diverse spectrum of weights and stiffnesses to suit just about any swing type out there.

is anyone hitting the 105 and something else in their wedges? have the 105x ready to install but unsure if i want them in my wedges. may want something heavier.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I will say my buddy set me up with nippon with the mp5 head purposely I assume. I've never like tip stiff iron shafts. I hate dynamic gold shafts for that very reason. I like mid to soft tip iron shafts. My project x are mid tip stiffness.

Probably why I didn't like the 105 or the 120 due to them being tip stiff. But,as others have said,most certainly try all the nippon range first. Don't take anyone's info on here,or a buddy that's plays modus tour 130x. You'll be surprised nippon has a shaft for anyone. They do feel great though.