It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Got to play my first round yesterday with the 130's throughout all the irons. I echo what I said earlier, high flight but it gets through the wind better than anything else for me and I found all clubs to be about 1/2 club longer than PX LZ and Steel fibers. Consistency is unreal with these and I ordered one for my 2 iron and 3 wedge shafts. I love these damn things.

Looking for more commentary and views on the 125 wedge shaft - both around the green and on full shots

also, views as to whether they are worth it vs just continuing the set that is in the irons

thanks

I'll be able to let you know more on this after the weekend. I have 2 of the 125 Wedge shafts on the way to try in some new Clevelands.

Anyone know how the 105S compares to the C Taper Lite S?

I have the C Taper Lite in a 18° UDI and never really cared for the feel. I want something that feels a bit more solid/stable but maybe something a bit lighter since it is a driving iron. I have tried the 125 and the 120. I liked the 125 more and I thought since the 125 and 105 have similar profiles, but the 105 is lighter, the 105 would be suitable. But after reading that the 105 doesn't like quick transitions it seems like that might not suit me since I know when I get quick withe the C taper Lite dispersion does seems to suffer. The pro shop does have a 105 in a 7 iron. So I might go and give that a hit.

I went a bit further back and it seems the 105 is similar to the C-Taper Lite. I wouldn't of picked that. I would of thought the 120 was most similar to the Lites.

I have the C Taper Lite in a 18° UDI and never really cared for the feel. I want something that feels a bit more solid/stable but maybe something a bit lighter since it is a driving iron. I have tried the 125 and the 120. I liked the 125 more and I thought since the 125 and 105 have similar profiles, but the 105 is lighter, the 105 would be suitable. But after reading that the 105 doesn't like quick transitions it seems like that might not suit me since I know when I get quick withe the C taper Lite dispersion does seems to suffer. The pro shop does have a 105 in a 7 iron. So I might go and give that a hit.

I went a bit further back and it seems the 105 is similar to the C-Taper Lite. I wouldn't of picked that. I would of thought the 120 was most similar to the Lites.

I'd argue that their only similarities is they're both iron shafts.

Modus line is unique yet specific. There's only one way to know for sure.

@therealping

I keep hearing people say the 105 goes left if your not smooth...why is this?

not sure where that's from but every swing is different.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

This thread has several comments about the dispersion of the 105 and shots going left. This being a motivating factor for people looking at hard stepping them or going to a 120 or 125.

This thread has several comments about the dispersion of the 105 and shots going left. This being a motivating factor for people looking at hard stepping them or going to a 120 or 125.

I am testing the 105x vs the 130s and I am NOT finding the 105 wants to go left at all

I find the dispersion Better with the 105 to be frank -

ballspeed and height (and hence carry) Can be better with the 130 for sure when tagged

105 feels more consistent thus far

I am 83mph 8 iron / late release / medium transition

The 105 can yield a greater dispersion if you have a quick tempo. The 105 is easy to load and a fast transition can overload it. If you have a high swing speed and a quick transition, the shaft doesn't have enough time to release causing dispersion to the left (or to the right for me being left handed).

Here is an example of what overloading the shaft looks like. You can also see the ball go exactly where people are saying it's going. Pay attention to the shaft and look at how much the mid-section is flexing right before impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZylVMlrBQ

I am testing the 105x vs the 130s and I am NOT finding the 105 wants to go left at all

ballspeed and height (and hence carry) Can be better with the 130 for sure when tagged

i have zero problems with the 105 going left, when it goes left its my fault and certainly not the shaft. imo the 105 is the best shaft in the modus line, with 130 next and 120 last

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

i have zero problems with the 105 going left, when it goes left its my fault and certainly not the shaft. imo the 105 is the best shaft in the modus line, with 130 next and 120 last

I agree....I have not seen the 105 going left for me at all. On the track man it had the best dispersion for me compared to my current s300 and PX LZ and KBS 120. The down side for me is my local shop only has the 105....cant test the 120 or 130 unless its indoors and then I cant see flight.

I've tried both of these shafts and they are quite different. I like both of them A LOT, but I'd say the CTL is a more "together" shaft and has a stout feel to it compared to the 105. Some have called the CTL harsh, but I don't think it is harsh. It is certainly not as smooth as the 105, but what is besides perhaps graphite?

(BTW, I'm referring to the CTL Stiff and the 105 Stiff. I have not tried the X-flex in either one.)

I'm actually debating between these two shafts in my next irons...maybe some Ping i200's, iBlades, or reshaft in my S55's.

I am testing the 105x vs the 130s and I am NOT finding the 105 wants to go left at all I find the dispersion Better with the 105 to be frank - ballspeed and height (and hence carry) Can be better with the 130 for sure when tagged 105 feels more consistent thus far I am 83mph 8 iron / late release / medium transition

I've tested all of them and I've never had an issue with any of them going left on me. Of course, everyone's swing is different, but there's been no "hook city" for me. If anything, the 125 has a little cutty tail on it for me, which I prefer!

I've tried both of these shafts and they are quite different. I like both of them A LOT, but I'd say the CTL is a more "together" shaft and has a stout feel to it compared to the 105. Some have called the CTL harsh, but I don't think it is harsh. It is certainly not as smooth as the 105, but what is besides perhaps graphite?

(BTW, I'm referring to the CTL Stiff and the 105 Stiff. I have not tried the X-flex in either one.)

I'm actually debating between these two shafts in my next irons...maybe some Ping i200's, iBlades, or reshaft in my S55's.

I agree with the above for sure, having tried both shafts. I don't know if any of this will help at all, but I play 120x and it is perfect to me. I have tried 105s and 105x and they actually felt even smoother, but the launch was so absurdly high for me that it was pointless. CTL was not harsh for me by any means, but I felt like I had no control of the tip - it felt like the shaft was whipping the tip and the clubhead to the sky, if that makes any sense. I almost had to look down everytime to make sure the clubhead was still on because it was such a whippy, strange feeling.

Again, not sure if that could help anyone but just thought I'd share.

Anyone tried the 105x hsx1?

I used the 105X hsx1 last summer. As some have stated, I had issue with the lefts and ballooning with this shaft, but man did it feel good. My 7 iron swing speed is on average around 95mph and I think I over powered this shaft. I have now moved on to the ctaper 130x and the tour-v 120x, but I am thinking about going to the 130x or the 125x hsx1 as I miss that Nippon smoothness. The 105 is a great shaft if you have a smoother transition IMO.

Got to hit my irons with the 130's in them again, it was fairly windy (as usual here). I can't say enough great things about these shafts, high and straight. No ballooning, and I was able to hit some nice knockdowns as well. Didn't realize these were 129 grams as they feel lighter to me, but that could be the slight counterbalance. Anyway, they feel perfect to me.

Side note, I hit my S300's I had before moon high, kinda like these 130's. I think that has to do with my swing and SS, however, high isn't bad as long as spin is where it needs to be. So I'll say to anyone shying away from the 130 because of it's high launch. It's a penetrating high launch if that makes any sense. S300's went high, but also curved more and spun more, for me at least.

Got to hit my irons with the 130's in them again, it was fairly windy (as usual here). I can't say enough great things about these shafts, high and straight. No ballooning, and I was able to hit some nice knockdowns as well. Didn't realize these were 129 grams as they feel lighter to me, but that could be the slight counterbalance. Anyway, they feel perfect to me.

Side note, I hit my S300's I had before moon high, kinda like these 130's. I think that has to do with my swing and SS, however, high isn't bad as long as spin is where it needs to be. So I'll say to anyone shying away from the 130 because of it's high launch. It's a penetrating high launch if that makes any sense. S300's went high, but also curved more and spun more, for me at least.

130 stiff are 124g and the x are 129 and you are correct. S300=balloons and the balls can turn quite a bit

I really don't understand the view that the 105 can 'overload' vs other modus - 130 in particular

if you swing stiffness appropriate for your swing in the particular series, i find little to no difference at all

and the 10 grams between the 105x and the 130s I would think is not nearly enough to materially affect 'loading'

that is what i found

the 130s was actually a little more wild and tended left more than the 105x - for me, anyway

i may have no idea what i am talking about, but that is my experience

thought i would share it

still can't decide which i like better as an aside....

12 gram difference, sorry - not enough given the different profiles in my view

For me, I went from a 130 gram DG x100 to the 112 gram 105x and it threw my timing off. 18 grams makes a huge difference and I pulled the ball regularly. Even down to 9 grams of weight can make a difference for some. People like to discount shaft weight when looking at shafts and it plays a bigger role in the swing than you think.

131 pages and going! For the first time in my golf career I have put the same shafts in back to back sets of irons. (Srixon 765s are on the way) Modus 120 X's straight in are a dream!

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200