2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Please let me know

have the 125's in myself

on my 105x vs. 130s debate....130s winning as of late in the 8iron....waiting on 5 iron test next

For me the 130 was so high that my long irons started to get bunched up for yardage gaps. Would have had ot played with lofts a lot to use them anymore than I did (which was for about a year.) I don't use my 4i very often so really just had an issue with 5i and 6i being too close. Proabably would have been better to pull 5 and play 6 to 4i but didn't want to. Short irons had decent gaps but yardages were at least 1/2 club shorter for me. Was hitting my 8 from 140y and usually its 150y. Even hit a few soft 8i from 135 which is like a hard PW today in my 125 shaft set. Probably needed all clubs to be 2° stronger with 130. But I'm a high ball hitter. Low ball hitters loved he 130 and their spin was matched well with their launch now which really helped them out. The 130X guys I did fit were all bombers that had low/med trajectory and medium/high spin. They changed from a mid-flight balloon to a high flight medium spin bomb. I went from high launch and medium spin to super high launch and low spin. but the launch was just too high for me.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Please let me know

have the 125's in myself

on my 105x vs. 130s debate....130s winning as of late in the 8iron....waiting on 5 iron test next

For me the 130 was so high that my long irons started to get bunched up for yardage gaps. Would have had ot played with lofts a lot to use them anymore than I did (which was for about a year.) I don't use my 4i very often so really just had an issue with 5i and 6i being too close. Proabably would have been better to pull 5 and play 6 to 4i but didn't want to. Short irons had decent gaps but yardages were at least 1/2 club shorter for me. Was hitting my 8 from 140y and usually its 150y. Even hit a few soft 8i from 135 which is like a hard PW today in my 125 shaft set. Probably needed all clubs to be 2° stronger with 130. But I'm a high ball hitter. Low ball hitters loved he 130 and their spin was matched well with their launch now which really helped them out. The 130X guys I did fit were all bombers that had low/med trajectory and medium/high spin. They changed from a mid-flight balloon to a high flight medium spin bomb. I went from high launch and medium spin to super high launch and low spin. but the launch was just too high for me.

I finally just hit my own test 8 iron with 130 stiff, and had a similar problem. The initial launch is ridiculous. It does flatten out, but I'm not sure it's a usable shaft for me. I could probably bring down low flying aircraft with the 8 iron, I don't even want to think what would happen with the PW. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Please let me know

have the 125's in myself

this is awesome feedback. Really appreciated Mark

I trap the ball with low spin, so the 130s is reasonably well-suited for me

But, I am Still in a debate with myself on it vs the 105x

each one of these shafts has it's nuances

you have provided a lot of insight and its welcome - thank you

I look forward to testing Nippon. Funny hearing guys talk about s300 being noodles. My TM MB's have these in them and I know I need something much firmer but I've learn to control the ballooning draws haha. Super fun to watch if you're in the zone and controlling these shots. Makes it pretty hard on windy days, however.

I briefly had a set of mp-5's w/ x100 shafts and shots were a lot more controlled but still pretty high for me. If what I constantly read is true, I can't wait to test the 130x as the x100 do feel quite close to a rebar. If the 130x have better feel than those, I would imagine it would feel/fit pretty well.

Please let me know

have the 125's in myself

Mark,

could you PM me. I tried sending you a mess but your not accepting new messages.

I finally just hit my own test 8 iron with 130 stiff, and had a similar problem. The initial launch is ridiculous. It does flatten out, but I'm not sure it's a usable shaft for me. I could probably bring down low flying aircraft with the 8 iron, I don't even want to think what would happen with the PW. LOL

Thought I should add a bit of background to the above...

I'm generally a high ball hitter, my last session on a launch monitor showed 5 iron launch in the 17°to 18° range, depending on the 5 iron. For the most part, I play weaker lofts (29° or 30° 5 iron), and said test was with a Golden Ram or Mizuno MS-11 with DG shaft; one could (and likely should) compare that to 6 iron results. My spin is in the upper 6k range, and can get up over 7000.

This is what had me checking into the 130, the potential of spin reduction. The launch I was seeing last weekend makes it somewhat less attractive. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Please let me know

have the 125's in myself

great info mark, thanks again. i am currently down to 105s vs 105s hx1x and they are both awesome, feel great and launch high which is good for me. Next up is the wedge shaft challenge, 105, 115, 125 and 130 will have it out next week

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

great info mark, thanks again. i am currently down to 105s vs 105s hx1x and they are both awesome, feel great and launch high which is good for me. Next up is the wedge shaft challenge, 105, 115, 125 and 130 will have it out next week

Can you tell me diff between the 2 for you? What ss and type of swinger are you?

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

i like the 105s, in a srixon 765 head it is perfect. So far, the wedges are all nice but i like the 115 the best so far but only one day of limited testing.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

^^^i briefly tried the 105s last summer (10 swings in bay), but felt if I went after it I had the tendency to pull shots left....wondering if the Hsx1 would help that or go up to 105x for more weight.

And I've played the 115 wedge shafts since April of last year....LOVE them.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

the 105 x adds weight so maybe that will help you, or hard step the 105s, either way they are both good, i hit both alot

Got a chance for some range time this afternoon with the 125 Wedge shafts. I can't make a true direct comparison because they are in different wedge heads. As compared to the Tour 125x soft stepped, they launch a good bit higher. The feel is softer and they are more of a muted feel. The Tour 125s are definitely stouter have more overall feedback. I always go back to the fact that the Tour 125x soft stepped are as close to a DG S400 in performance and feel in the Nippon line up that I have found. The 125 Wedge are much more of a Nippon feeling product, if there is such a thing. The jury is still out. I need some time on course with them.

@markheardjr, thanks for this awesome thread! Lots of great info!

In the market for new irons and could benefit from being pointed in the right starting direction with Nippon shafts. Been playing S55s with Recoil Proto 110s hs1x. Good shots produce nice flight & distance, but I hit a few too many clunkers for my liking.

I'm a 2 hc, 49 years old and play 100 rounds per year. Recently did Mizuno shaft optimizer and my numbers are: SS- 91 MPH, Tempo-5.35, Toe down-4.4, Kick-3.4, Release-8.00. The computer's top choice for me was KBS Tour stiff.

I'm a shut face player and put a gradual load on the shaft with a stable-type release. I hit the ball high and my miss is a pull-draw that creeps in when I'm out of sync or body just isn't working right...(becoming more frequent lately I'm afraid...lol!)

I'm looking at new Ping i200s, mizuno 900s, or Srixon 765s. Have never played Nippon but they feel good indoors.

Thanks for your assistance!?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

i tested everything, srixon 765/565 are the best irons on the market right now and if u demo the modus line, u will find something for you because they are all excellent and i hit every shaft in the lineup. The shafts feel great, and perform even better

i tested everything, srixon 765/565 are the best irons on the market right now and if u demo the modus line, u will find something for you because they are all excellent and i hit every shaft in the lineup. The shafts feel great, and perform even better

Srixon 765s have gotten excellent reviews, but the blade length is a tad long for my eye. Unfortunately I've not been able to demo them. Did you try the i200s? The shorter blade length and overall shape appeals to me, but I like the solid one-piece construction of the 765s with no badges or weight ports to fall out/off.

One form or another of Modus shaft will most likely be going in my new irons. Recoil protos have been great, but the up-charge is steep and the Modus feel even better. Just need to find the right model & spec

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Srixon 765s have gotten excellent reviews, but the blade length is a tad long for my eye. Unfortunately I've not been able to demo them. Did you try the i200s? The shorter blade length and overall shape appeals to me, but I like the solid one-piece construction of the 765s with no badges or weight ports to fall out/off.

One form or another of Modus shaft will most likely be going in my new irons. Recoil protos have been great, but the up-charge is steep and the Modus feel even better. Just need to find the right model & spec

I too am torn between the i200's and 765's but cant seem to find a place to demo all the Modus shafts. Most only have the 105 and 130. Anything other than the 105 is an up-charge in the Ping and not sure how long the forged clubs will last me. Really like the 105 but would like just a touch heavier.

105x is heavier, give that a try

Update on my 105x vs 130s test

after the 8 iron test, 105x was leading - hold off left, apex, ballspeed, dispersion all close to 130s, but had the feel edge on smoothness and ease through impact

but

initial 5 iron test today - will do more, but the 130s stole the show - STRAIGHT plus ballspeed, loft, apex, dispersion

105x i found i was losing right in the 5 iron for some reason ...?

more work with the 5 irons, but overall i would say the 130s is now the frontrunner - we'll see.

Any thoughts or advice welcome

i went back and forth for the past 3 weeks, 105x, 105s, 105 hx1x, 120x ss1x, 130s, 130s ss1x, and they are all good, i would change my opinon by the day. only one i didnt like was 120s. Strange that a 130 and a 105 can feel so similiar but they do, and they are both very good, cant go wrong with either

after the 8 iron test, 105x was leading - hold off left, apex, ballspeed, dispersion all close to 130s, but had the feel edge on smoothness and ease through impact

but

initial 5 iron test today - will do more, but the 130s stole the show - STRAIGHT plus ballspeed, loft, apex, dispersion

more work with the 5 irons, but overall i would say the 130s is now the frontrunner - we'll see.

To me it sounds like your 50/50. Go with whatever weight fits you better and don't look back. The ball speed difference in an 8 iron I would guess is small with minimal distance gains, not to mention I don't believe that should factor in to your decision. Is there one that you have in your hand and feel like your gonna hit it flush and be close to the hole?

but

To me it sounds like your 50/50. Go with whatever weight fits you better and don't look back. The ball speed difference in an 8 iron I would guess is small with minimal distance gains, not to mention I don't believe that should factor in to your decision. Is there one that you have in your hand and feel like your gonna hit it flush and be close to the hole?

Agreed and I will

problem is, as hurricanes7 so aptly pointed out, the 105 and 130 feel so close - in your hands and through the ball....it's tough

going to have a few more sessions to be sure....thanks both of you

i went back and forth for the past 3 weeks, 105x, 105s, 105 hx1x, 120x ss1x, 130s, 130s ss1x, and they are all good, i would change my opinon by the day. only one i didnt like was 120s. Strange that a 130 and a 105 can feel so similiar but they do, and they are both very good, cant go wrong with either

please keep us updated Hurricanes7

just for reference - what is your ss (6,8 or driver), transititon, release pattern ?

i am a low 80's 8 iron, ,medium transition and late release and both the 106x and 130s seems to both handle that well - the 120s was awful for me as well as an aside

just for reference - what is your ss (6,8 or driver), transititon, release pattern ?

i am a low 80's 8 iron, ,medium transition and late release and both the 106x and 130s seems to both handle that well - the 120s was awful for me as well as an aside

85 8 iron, smooth transition, medium release, low ball hitter, with a draw (hook) all the time. i could not find any to demo so i just ordered all of them and put them into heads and took them to the course. I will not demo iron shafts inside, i need to play with them on the course and then figure it out. 105s, 105 s hs1x, 105x, 120s, 120s hx1x, 120x, 120x ss1x, 130s and 130s ss1x. Man i have serious problems, i ordered 9 shafts from Bob at Nippon.

85 8 iron, smooth transition, medium release, low ball hitter, with a draw (hook) all the time. i could not find any to demo so i just ordered all of them and put them into heads and took them to the course. I will not demo iron shafts inside, i need to play with them on the course and then figure it out. 105s, 105 s hs1x, 105x, 120s, 120s hx1x, 120x, 120x ss1x, 130s and 130s ss1x. Man i have serious problems, i ordered 9 shafts from Bob at Nippon.

Howling

love it

so what are you down too - there has to be frontrunners?

I must say I am liking the 125 Wedge shafts. I got my first round in with them today and they are very nice. First thing I noticed was distance. Could be the flex but they are giving me more yards than the Tour 125s. They are higher trajectory too. They are easier to load which I found helps a touch as I can be less aggressive with the swing and have a bit more control. Weight, balance and feel are all negligible differences between the 2 shafts. I do know this for my swing, I wouldn't go any lighter to the 115s or 105s in the Wedge versions.

Howling

love it

1st place- 105s

2nd place-105x hs1x

3rd place- 130s ss1x

last place- 120s, i hit grounders

the 4 wedge shafts are all good so far, 105, 115, 125 and a 130s ss1x. Anyone else have serious issues, because i live in new york and i hit balls yesterday with snow on the ground

Howling

love it

1st place- 105s

2nd place-105x hs1x

3rd place- 130s ss1x

last place- 120s, i hit grounders

the 4 wedge shafts are all good so far, 105, 115, 125 and a 130s ss1x. Anyone else have serious issues, because i live in new york and i hit balls yesterday with snow on the ground

Have you tried the 125 S in your irons? If so what did/n't you like about them?