It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

130 s ssx2 5i thru gap

Wedge 125 s in sand and lob

Have a 2,3 and 4 iron as well

Debating appropriate shafts for them

Any opinions appreciated

What is your reason for not wanting the 130 S in your long irons?

It's the double soft-step that is giving me a little pause before i commit to doing that i guess...run out of shafts i was thinking after the 2i shaft went in the 4 iron ?

if that is the right way to think about it?

so

was wondering /hoping/looking for some wisdom on the best strategy for matching/gapping the 2,3,and 4 iron

while maintaining the feel as well as I can

really appreciated

Same profile I would hard step or straight in R flex....just don't be mental and let the letters on the shaft bug you...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Ok, so after months of testing nippon shafts. I have demoed the 120s, 120shsx1, 120x, 120xssx1, 130s, 105s, 105shsx1, 105x all on the course. I have chosen the 105s straight in as the winner. I have played other shafts such as px 5.5 & 6.0 flighted, steelfiber 110s & 95s, KBS c-taper 120s, & KBS TourS. I thought that I would not like a lighter weighted shaft. First of all it doesn't to me feel light. I thought that lightweight shafts would not be a good fit for me. But the 105s feels great, great ball flight and great results. I am going to order 565/765 combo set with these shafts next week, the search is over!!!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

modus 105 is the same as kbs tour, only feel better and go straigher

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Ok, so after months of testing nippon shafts. I have demoed the 120s, 120shsx1, 120x, 120xssx1, 130s, 105s, 105shsx1, 105x all on the course. I have chosen the 105s straight in as the winner. I have played other shafts such as px 5.5 & 6.0 flighted, steelfiber 110s & 95s, KBS c-taper 120s, & KBS TourS. I thought that I would not like a lighter weighted shaft. First of all it doesn't to me feel light. I thought that lightweight shafts would not be a good fit for me. But the 105s feels great, great ball flight and great results. I am going to order 565/765 combo set with these shafts next week, the search is over!!!

That is serious shafts testing there. Congrats on the successful conclusion. :drinks:

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I tried out the 130 S today and I think I am in love. They feel so stable and so well balanced. The initial launch and apex was higher compared to the 125 S but was very similar to the 105 S plus you could flight them down if needed too. But I like the extra weight of the 130 over the 105. The 130 and the 125 are the ones I am debating on but I am going to go for the 130 since they go a tad higher. I am wondering now if I should of put a 130 S in my UDI instead of the 105, I guess I'll find out next week.

I tried out the 130 S today and I think I am in love. They feel so stable and so well balanced. The initial launch and apex was higher compared to the 125 S but was very similar to the 105 S plus you could flight them down if needed too. But I like the extra weight of the 130 over the 105. The 130 and the 125 are the ones I am debating on but I am going to go for the 130 since they go a tad higher. I am wondering now if I should of put a 130 S in my UDI instead of the 105, I guess I'll find out next week.

How long have you been playing the 125s?

@therealping

Tomorrow I should find out if my self fit 120's are the best for me!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How long have you been playing the 125s?

I currently play S300 but I'm getting new irons and I have been trying out shafts.

Now playing the 105S in my irons and pitching wedge. Which shafts would be good for a softer feel in my wedges or would going with the 105's in regular make sense? I am currently playing my wedges with the S300's. Thanks for any feedback!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

For those using the 105x in their irons, the 120s works great and pairs nicely in the wedges. It keeps the ball flight lower and plays almost exactly the same weight as the 105x.

Perfect. Thats just what I needed to know. Was thinking of ordering some new SM6s to match my 900 combo /105x irons. Will go 120s. Thanks!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

For those using the 105x in their irons, the 120s works great and pairs nicely in the wedges. It keeps the ball flight lower and plays almost exactly the same weight as the 105x.

Perfect. Thats just what I needed to know. Was thinking of ordering some new SM6s to match my 900 combo /105x irons. Will go 120s. Thanks!

LOL. That's such a coincidence. I too have a JPX 900 combo with the 105x and I as well went with the SM6 wedges. What lofts and grinds do you plan on going with.

double soft-stepping 130s through set....or would like to

issue is obviously what to do with the long irons - 2 and 3 iron since the 4 iron gets the 2 iron shaft for the ssx2

so

factoring in kickpoint, flex and feel consistency as much as possible

what do you suggest for the 2 and 3 iron?

thoughts, experience and insight please

thank you

issue is obviously what to do with the long irons - 2 and 3 iron since the 4 iron gets the 2 iron shaft for the ssx2

so

thank you

Hard step a 130 Regular 3 iron shaft into the 2 iron head. Hard step a 130 Regular 3 iron shaft into the 4 iron head.

Then be done with it.

You're talking 3 grams of difference between a double soft-stepped Stiff and a hard-stepped Regular.

Try not to over think it.

so

thank you

Hard step a 130 Regular 3 iron shaft into the 2 iron head. Hard step a 130 Regular 3 iron shaft into the 4 iron head.

Then be done with it.

You're talking 3 grams of difference between a double soft-stepped Stiff and a hard-stepped Regular.

I am guessing he meant hard step a 4 iron shaft into the 3 iron head, but I would just go regular straight in, with the extra launch/spin you are getting from double soft stepping, you might not want to hard step. Regular 2 and 3 iron shafts straight in would be my recommendation.

so

thank you

Then be done with it.

I am guessing he meant hard step a 4 iron shaft into the 3 iron head, but I would just go regular straight in, with the extra launch/spin you are getting from double soft stepping, you might not want to hard step. Regular 2 and 3 iron shafts straight in would be my recommendation.

Yeah...good catch. Hard step a 4 iron shaft into a 3 iron head.

But...with that being said...you're double soft-stepping an entire set.

There's a ~1/3 of a flex...and 3-4 gram per shaft difference in what you're trying to do with Stiff soft-stepped 2x...and just going with a Regular Flex straight in throughout the entire set.

Translation = The difference in what you're trying to with soft-stepping and Regular straight-in is negligible.

I'd bet that in a blind test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the SSx2 Stiff...and the Regular straight it.

Well, after my experiment with the 125 Wedge, they are staying in the bag. I still love soft stepping the X Tour 125s but the Modus Wedge just pips it overall for my game. I have 2 nearly new Tour 125 X 9 iron shafts cut to wedge length if anyone is interested in trying those. You can read back on my impressions of them.

Just want to tell everyone my experience with a fitting I had last week for iron shafts. I currently have kbs tour x which I love very smooth shaft and can work the ball when I'm swinging good. I hit them very high which I do mostly on any shaft even in the testing here.

So every shaft was very smooth from C Tapers Lite to Recoil to PX. But every shot for me was the same high flight like my KBS and there was a strong cross wind right to left.

The rep installed the NS Pro Tour 105 X from the first hit the treach came down flatter and bored through the wind i was shocked ?. The second one same thing not even moving a yard off line. I look at the rep and he was like think we found a winner. He said try a knockdown and so I knocked it down beautifully then he said hit it high and did that as well. So the shaft was very well performing and got them going into my iron heads. I'm shocked because I was thinking light shaft it's going to be weak and flimsy I was wrong what a shaft and can't wait to play them. I'll leave more feedback after a few rounds.

Just got my 7 iron with 125x ss once and 56 SM6 with 125 wedge 133 grams shaft. Couldn't swing it as the grip was just installed. Going to be interesting how these compare to my PX 6.0 LZ.

Man I do think know own yet. I only hit the 714 AP2 7 iron with Modus 125 X SS1 one night. Compared to 7 iron 716 AP2 with PX6.0LZ side to side. I miss the weight of a heavier shaft. Performance is pretty similar feeling. Cannot tell difference in distance if any at all as I am indoors.

Giving it a another couple of nights but it looks the Nippon is going to win this one.

Well, after my experiment with the 125 Wedge, they are staying in the bag. I still love soft stepping the X Tour 125s but the Modus Wedge just pips it overall for my game. I have 2 nearly new Tour 125 X 9 iron shafts cut to wedge length if anyone is interested in trying those. You can read back on my impressions of them.

great to hear

i have the 125 in the sand and lob and the 130s in the rest of the set - Love them as well

great feel, flight and spin

so

thank you

Then be done with it.

Great call

this is what i have decided on

agree with both of you, but easiest is reg straight in - thank You

I played the 120tx and loved it.

played the 130X and hated it(high and spinny)

125x could be good or no?

ps* I hate dgx100

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 
Ping G430 Max w/ synergy green 80tx
Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
Callaway TCB w/ LAgolf L-series 5
Titleist SM8 50/56  W/ LAgolf

Callaway Jaws Raw 60Z /Kbs 610
Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''
Swing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg[/url] (Driver FV)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4[/url] (DTL)

I played the 120tx and loved it.

played the 130X and hated it(high and spinny)

125x could be good or no?

ps* I hate dgx100

The Modus 125 is going to have the most similar profile to the DGX100. Very consistent in bend profile from the butt of the shaft to the tip.

I did not find the Modus 130 spinny at all, but it is a pretty unique shaft so I am sure they produce a pretty wide range of results for different swing types.

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

Is it typical for the Modus 125 to launch higher launch and with more spin vs the Modus 120? I'm wondering if my results are due to the shafts, the heads, or the build.

Modus 125 has Scratch AR-1 heads

Modus 120 has Titleist 716CB heads

Makes me wonder... perhaps the Modus 125 would be awesome for me if paired with strong-lofted and low-spin iron heads? Thoughts?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I've been gaming the 130x in my Cobra King Pro irons for about 3 months or so now. I honestly can not speak to how great these shafts are. I have been a C-Taper guy for just about the entirety of my golfing life - I had messed around with the modus plenty before making the switch and knew what I was getting. However, everyone on here always talks about the 130 being the the higher launching shaft in the line, which had me a bit hesitant to make that move. That being said these things are SIGNIFICANTLY more penetrating than the C-Tapers with oodles more feel. No problem at all launching it, but I am just totally impressed with how much my iron play has improved in terms of flighting and trajectory control. Just wanted to add this to the thread for those wavering on the 130 because of the fear of them being the "high launching" shaft.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I've been gaming the 130x in my Cobra King Pro irons for about 3 months or so now. I honestly can not speak to how great these shafts are. I have been a C-Taper guy for just about the entirety of my golfing life - I had messed around with the modus plenty before making the switch and knew what I was getting. However, everyone on here always talks about the 130 being the the higher launching shaft in the line, which had me a bit hesitant to make that move. That being said these things are SIGNIFICANTLY more penetrating than the C-Tapers with oodles more feel. No problem at all launching it, but I am just totally impressed with how much my iron play has improved in terms of flighting and trajectory control. Just wanted to add this to the thread for those wavering on the 130 because of the fear of them being the "high launching" shaft.

Wholeheartedly agreed on the 130's

one question I had was view on using them through the 52 and 58 wedges

did you try the n.s. 125 wedge shaft or ?

thanks