It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Playing PX 6.0 after a recent fitting. Just a few rounds and my elbows are not good. 2nd place in the fitting was Nippon 1150gh stiff. They did spin a little too much and I tend to do better in the 120+ gram range. Should I try an 1150 in x? I know many have gone from PX to 130. Which Modus is closest to the 1150? Is it the 125?

Anyone?

All I can offer is my experience, had px 6.0 lz stiff, got rid of them and have two sets now, Nippon 105 stiff in iBlades and 130 stiff in a CF16 Apex and hit a 7 iron 180 and have no ballooning issues, no other issues, I know I have 100 mph driver SS and maybe it's the Nippon shafts that give me the distance and control with my irons, plus those two shaft are free upgrades on the clubs respectively.

I just noticed you have same Driver and haft as me. I play Nippon Modus 125 S on my irons (couple of years now)

More often than not I have to swing much easier with my driver than my irons to have consistency. Did you find it similar ? I can step in on the modus as hard as I won't the ball won't move, same shape, same trajectory, just beauty.

I m still looking for a driver shaft p

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

Hi guys.

I kindly ask for some help.

I've been reading this amazing thread on the nippons learning as much as possible but I might just ask the more experienced prior to make up my mind. Unfortunately where I live the chances to get fit are small, occasionally some brands make a stop here and there, mostly Taylormade but they never bring the top stuff regarding shafts. For me to get on a launch monitor I need to drive some big miles so I rely mostly on what I see and my coach advice.

Let me give you some background on me so you can understand a bit of my level and expectations. I've been playing golf for almost a year now... Yeah I know, low experience, you're correct. It happens I've always played at a high competitive level other sports like swimming and tenis but as I aged my results got worse and for me, competition is about winning. Now I discovered a new passion, GOLF. I've been training almost everyday following a plan covering all aspects of the game and I play on the course at weekends, 18 holes + 18 holes. I'm used to a pro train regimen in other sports, twice a day sessions plus gym. I'm not able to train Golf twice a day but I still keep fit at the gym and train 1-2 hours a day with the clubs. In 10 months I've got to play at a 18hcp, I'm an athlete type build guy, strong and muscular not the typical golfer. Not the most flexible guy because of the bigger muscles but very strong and explosive, still working on ramping up gradually, I tend to get fast, too fast for what I'm currently able to handle technically, I'm too eager and want to drive the ball like the pros. Recently I've changed my wood graphite shafts to X Stiff and the results baffled me, now I get more distance and much more control swinging at same speeds, maybe a little more, I've been getting faster every month. I know steel is a diferent animal but I'm not happy with my nippons as we speak, it's time to upgrade again. I started with XP95 Regular then 980GH Stiff. I feel these shafts hold well in a 3/4 controlled swing, very accurate and predictable but I also find them too light compared to my wedges and If I go after one or want to unleash more power I have low accuracy and I struggle to keep the ball straight, I just feel too much lag between my hands position and the clubhead if this makes any sense to you, this gets worse in longer clubs. My driver SS is around 100-105 as we speak, carry around 240y, i7 don't know the clubhead speed but carry 150y-160y with the 980GH.

From what I've been reading I'm about to pull the trigger on some modus but I'm unsure in model and weight class. I prefer Japan made stuff, no detriment to US but it's a personal taste. According to bend profiles I reckon the 120 S is very close to my nippons and the extra weight should help a bit. Also it's not a big step in weight, I think this is important, ramp up slowly so I don't feel that the change is too big. Also I'm affraid for them to be too similar and overpowered soon so I'm also considering the X Flex as I know it's not a shaft with no feel or a pole. Also, I'm considering the 130, I think my swing would fit these better but I'm affraid of the too much ramp up on the weight... Also I know these ones feel a lot firmer so an R or S maximum. My swing is not smooth by any means, my backswing is very smooth, slow and controled but my transition is very aggressive and powerfull for my golf time and level, my release is very late, I always try to trap the ball and make a divot with my irons. I feel the 980gh's bend a lot and it gets dificult to square the face if I want to swing faster, this gets worse and worse when moving up in the irons. I'm looking for something heavier and more stable, preferably I want to keep my launch high as it is now with the 980's so it's easier for me to hold the greens.

I can't give you launch angles or spin rates but I'm currently happy as they are, high arc and enough stopping power, I just think I need something stronger to continue my evolution.

Thank you for your patience in reading this and thank you in advance for your advice. Sorry for some possible typos, english is not my 1st language but I get along.

Would be happy to try and answer any questions you think important for you to give a better recommendation.

Hi,

I bought some MP5's off the rack a few months ago as the store was blowing them out at 35% off. I've played s300's at standard lie/length/loft forever so didn't think it would be an issue. Hit some PX6.0 and KBS Tour 120 S from the mizzy fitting cart and the s300 gave me the best numbers so off we went.

I am getting fit for a new three wood this week and went to a place that actually does fittings, not a big box store that doesn't care like where I grabbed my irons. He ended up putting me in a heavy X stiff shaft due to swing speed and tempo. They had the MIzuno DNA shaft thing there and decided to give it a go, I believe my numbers where 7,1,3,4 @ 95 mph with a 6 iron for 3 straight swings. The shaft options came back C-Taper X, X100 and KBS Tour Stiff X.

I'm going to go back and test these shafts out and see what gives me the best results in a week or two, but what would be the Nippon equivalent? From what I gather in this thread 125x straight in?

Thank you

Hi,

I bought some MP5's off the rack a few months ago as the store was blowing them out at 35% off. I've played s300's at standard lie/length/loft forever so didn't think it would be an issue. Hit some PX6.0 and KBS Tour 120 S from the mizzy fitting cart and the s300 gave me the best numbers so off we went.

I am getting fit for a new three wood this week and went to a place that actually does fittings, not a big box store that doesn't care like where I grabbed my irons. He ended up putting me in a heavy X stiff shaft due to swing speed and tempo. They had the MIzuno DNA shaft thing there and decided to give it a go, I believe my numbers where 7,1,3,4 @ 95 mph with a 6 iron for 3 straight swings. The shaft options came back C-Taper X, X100 and KBS Tour Stiff X.

I'm going to go back and test these shafts out and see what gives me the best results in a week or two, but what would be the Nippon equivalent? From what I gather in this thread 125x straight in?

Thank you

Those three recommendations are quite different from one another from a performance and feel standpoint. The C-Taper X should launch lower and spin a little less, but to me feel like rebar (even soft stepped X2). The X100 launches low and spins more, but feels good. The KBS Tour X launches higher and spins a little more than the other two, but feels smoother. They are all 130 gram shafts.

I would try the Modus 125X. Imagine the KBS feel (but better), the DG launch and spin, and the C-Taper dispersion consistency.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Playing PX 6.0 after a recent fitting. Just a few rounds and my elbows are not good. 2nd place in the fitting was Nippon 1150gh stiff. They did spin a little too much and I tend to do better in the 120+ gram range. Should I try an 1150 in x? I know many have gone from PX to 130. Which Modus is closest to the 1150? Is it the 125?

Anyone?

All I can offer is my experience, had px 6.0 lz stiff, got rid of them and have two sets now, Nippon 105 stiff in iBlades and 130 stiff in a CF16 Apex and hit a 7 iron 180 and have no ballooning issues, no other issues, I know I have 100 mph driver SS and maybe it's the Nippon shafts that give me the distance and control with my irons, plus those two shaft are free upgrades on the clubs respectively.

I just noticed you have same Driver and haft as me. I play Nippon Modus 125 S on my irons (couple of years now)

More often than not I have to swing much easier with my driver than my irons to have consistency. Did you find it similar ? I can step in on the modus as hard as I won't the ball won't move, same shape, same trajectory, just beauty.

I m still looking for a driver shaft p

I had same issue. Try the kiyoshi tour limited or white if you're fighting hooks when trying to go after it

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

• 2 weeks later...

Have commented on the 125x a few times here... great shaft but after extensive use I just like PX a tiny bit more in the heat of battle. Put them back in my MP-4s tonight. I think part of it was head/shaft combo. My 4 iron is a hollow head (TM UDI) and I really liked that with the Modus, but the blades didn't feel quite as good as PX. 125s have really firm tips, so I can see why the more forgiving head would pair nicely. Prob put the 125x on the BST eventually, but if you're interested in them send me a PM, I know they're not super easy to come by.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

I haven't completely kept up with this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any info on what Nippon is doing with the AMC (Ascending Mass Concept) in their shaft model line-up. I see the N.S. Pro 880 AMC in Titleist's custom shaft line-up. It looks like those may be around a 2g increment per shaft based on the little bit of info I've found.

I'm looking at getting a set of Srixon 765/965 combo irons, and I'm thinking of getting the Modus 125S in the irons. I've never hit them before, but the characteristics described sound like what I want in a shaft. I currently play TIS400 shafts in my Fly Z+ irons, and my milled grind wedges. I don't have any complaints about the shafts themselves. They give me the ball flight I want in the longer irons, and the control I want with my wedges. The only thing I don't like is how harsh they felt without the Prosoft inserts I installed when I ordered my clubs. After they were installed, my joint issues went away.

If the Modus 125s can give me similar characteristics as the S400 shafts, I'd be a happy man. I also wouldn't mind getting more inserts for the new shafts to reduce vibrations. The only thing is that I can't demo the 125s anywhere, so it would be a leap of faith to get them. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry for them, so I have time to do more research and decide.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Been wandering in the wilderness for 5-6 months after a Club Champion fitting for PX LZs. I'm coming back to the Modus 130s. Just had a fitting for the P790s. Nothing can touch the 130s. Can't wait.

Amen!

130 s .....there is no substitute

105 s is a solid performer

but everything else is worthless and weak

welcome Back

I played the Nippon modus 3 125 stiff loved the ball flight didn't like the lost of distance ...overall great shafts ...just switched to the c-tapers

Taylormade M5 10* Tensi Blue 70s
Taylormade  M5 15* Tensi Blue 65s

Taylormade M5 18* Tensi Blue 65s
Taylormade 4-PW R9 TP 
Taylormade 54, 58 Milled grind 
Taylormade TP Ardmore
Taylormade TP5X

WITB Link

Had a set of 745s w/ 130s that I LOVED but parted with because I wasn't getting to play as much as I would like. Replaced with some z545s. Finally got some 130s installed. Something about these shafts. Great weight. Accurate. Amazing feel.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Hey guys, could use a little help. I am thinking of getting the TaylorMade p790's but am unable to locate them in left handed to get fit. I currently play 130 stiffs in my CF16 irons and am looking for a little higher launch and higher spin. I'm curious how the modus 105 stiff and the modus 120 stiff will compare to the modus 130 stiff since I believe the p790 head will launch and spin similar to the cf16. My driver swing speed is around 112 mph. Thanks!

Hey guys, could use a little help. I am thinking of getting the TaylorMade p790's but am unable to locate them in left handed to get fit. I currently play 130 stiffs in my CF16 irons and am looking for a little higher launch and higher spin. I'm curious how the modus 105 stiff and the modus 120 stiff will compare to the modus 130 stiff since I believe the p790 head will launch and spin similar to the cf16. My driver swing speed is around 112 mph. Thanks!

If you like the 130s I can not imaging liking the 120s. I play the 130s and the 120s were very soft in the butt end and a disaster for my swing. The 130s are very stiff in the butt end. The 105s would probably get your spin up a little, but the launch was very close for me between the 105s and the 130s. The 130s play a lot stiffer to flex than the 105. I play the 130s ss1x and they are still quite a bit firmer feeling than the 105s. There is approximately 15 grams weight difference also.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Thanks for the feedback. I actually just had the chance to try the 120 and 105 and your assessment is spot on. The 120 was ok but dispersion wasn't great for me. But I was surprised at how stable the 105 felt for that weight. And I may be wrong but the 105 felt like it had a very similar profile to the 130....just more spin.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually just had the chance to try the 120 and 105 and your assessment is spot on. The 120 was ok but dispersion wasn't great for me. But I was surprised at how stable the 105 felt for that weight. And I may be wrong but the 105 felt like it had a very similar profile to the 130....just more spin.

I highly recommend trying the 105s in a shorter iron such as a wedge or 9 if possible. For the 4-7 irons, I have never like a shaft better than the 105s. For me the problem came in the 9-w. They were too light for me no matter how heavy I made the swingweight. But everyone is different.

Bettinardi BB-28SB

If you like the 130s I can not imaging liking the 120s. I play the 130s and the 120s were very soft in the butt end and a disaster for my swing. The 130s are very stiff in the butt end. The 105s would probably get your spin up a little, but the launch was very close for me between the 105s and the 130s. The 130s play a lot stiffer to flex than the 105. I play the 130s ss1x and they are still quite a bit firmer feeling than the 105s. There is approximately 15 grams weight difference also.

very well said

stick with the 130's

soft step them in necessary

launch is higher - more important than spin being higher with 105 AND nice and heavy for the 9 iron and up as well

very well said

stick with the 130's

launch is higher - more important than spin being higher with 105 AND nice and heavy for the 9 iron and up as well

Hmm, you guys are making me a little nervous now. Never really thought about the wedge weight transition. I do like heavier shafts in my wedges. I'm not sure i'll be able to test the 105 in the 9-pw.

very well said

stick with the 130's

Hmm, you guys are making me a little nervous now. Never really thought about the wedge weight transition. I do like heavier shafts in my wedges. I'm not sure i'll be able to test the 105 in the 9-pw.

Concur with what was said regarding the 130s vs 120. 130s worked well and 120s threw me way off my swing - did not work - hated them. The 105s felt a bit like the 130s to me (and not like the 125 which it supposedly mirrors) but lighter in static weight but heavier feel in head weight. I like my 130 R HS1 and I could play 105 S HS1 or 105 X SS2. My guess is if you had to go 105 then X is the answer, plus, you would get a bit more static weight and you wouldn't be too far gone from the 130 S - little lighter, little more speed and spin. My 2 cents.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Just bought some 125x shafts off the bay, 3-PW. The shafts are marked 40.5" down to 37" with 0.5" between each jump.

This is my first foray into reshafting... And I'm sure a club fitter knows the answers but it never hurts to be educated.

Are these the right lengths? What has to be done to get to normal Mizuno length shafts?

Thank you

Replacing s300s in mp5s.

Clean up your heads. Dry fit the shafts into your heads. Measure, mark, and butt cut the shafts. Account for approximately 1/8 of an inch for the butt end of the grip. So if you want a "standard length" 5 iron, insert the shaft into a cleaned up head, measure under the shaft to the heel of the club and mark at 37 7/8", mark and cut.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Just bought some 125x shafts off the bay, 3-PW. The shafts are marked 40.5" down to 37" with 0.5" between each jump.

This is my first foray into reshafting... And I'm sure a club fitter knows the answers but it never hurts to be educated.

Are these the right lengths? What has to be done to get to normal Mizuno length shafts?

Thank you

Replacing s300s in mp5s.

Correct lengths. Good luck

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Does anyone know if it is possible to soft step a 120S shaft for a wedge? Or would you need to move to an 8 iron shaft because the wedge and 9 iron shaft are the same like DG. Thanks.

The wedge shaft is a raw 37" shaft and the 9 is a 37.5" shaft. They are not the same.

Bettinardi BB-28SB

I just got some 125x also but some have the specs etched in and others don't. is there any way to find out uncut length from stepping?

I don't know the exact measurement buy it should be obvious from the stepping to use the ones you have the raw length of and move approximately 1/2 at a time. The step patter should increase uniformly through the set

Bettinardi BB-28SB

Does anyone know if it is possible to soft step a 120S shaft for a wedge? Or would you need to move to an 8 iron shaft because the wedge and 9 iron shaft are the same like DG. Thanks.

The wedge shaft is a raw 37" shaft and the 9 is a 37.5" shaft. They are not the same.

Thanks - has anyone had success soft stepping the same shaft as their irons in wedges to play a bit softer?