It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Anyone have any feedback on the Modus 125? Ive heard theyre very similar to DG. But are they closer tothe x100 or s300 profile?

Also how do they compare flex wise?

I went from X100 to Modus 125X. Love them. Never hit the ball better. Full disclosure - also got Srixon 765 irons so it also could be part new irons (which i also love). They seem to want to fly straighter for me.

Hmm, must be the right combo. I had Nike vpc with the 120s but was fitted for the 125s with new Z765. So much better for me I'm blown away.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I haven’t been following this thread for quite some time, any word about new offerings in 2018?

Haven't heard anything yet. PGA Show is next month, could see a new shaft for retail there if they decide to bring something new out. Nippon doesn't tend to release something new ever year so no telling if they will and what it may be. They have had prototypes there before that still haven't come to market. Perhaps one of those? LSL maybe?? Might depend how strong the sales are going for existing lineup.

I'd like to see some more lower-launch lower-spin options, and in the light-to-mid weight range I think they can fill a void of low/low and still good feel.

Also would like to see another wedge shaft that's a tad heavier than the 125 wedge. A bit closer to a SPB/C10/Tour125 iron shafts but in a wedge. More lively than WV125, less lively than Modus Wedge 125.

Also would be interesting to see a Modus driving iron shaft line up.

I wonder how the “A-Pro” stepless shaft has done in testing and if Nippon will add a stepless shaft with PX-like playing characteristics while retaining Nippon feel

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Try some $-Tapers. Awesome feeling

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I haven’t been following this thread for quite some time, any word about new offerings in 2018?

Haven't heard anything yet. PGA Show is next month, could see a new shaft for retail there if they decide to bring something new out. Nippon doesn't tend to release something new ever year so no telling if they will and what it may be. They have had prototypes there before that still haven't come to market. Perhaps one of those? LSL maybe?? Might depend how strong the sales are going for existing lineup.

I'd like to see some more lower-launch lower-spin options, and in the light-to-mid weight range I think they can fill a void of low/low and still good feel.

Also would like to see another wedge shaft that's a tad heavier than the 125 wedge. A bit closer to a SPB/C10/Tour125 iron shafts but in a wedge. More lively than WV125, less lively than Modus Wedge 125.

Slighytly off but on topic...

how do you find Nippon Driver/FW shafts? Have you tried them? I see on their site they have a specific one based on which Iron shaft you use however I dont think ive ever seen a Nippon driving shaft anywhere nor gamed by anyone.

I picked up the NS Pro Regio Formula B Shaft for my G25 when I was playing that driver from a dealer on Rakuten. I initially got a price from my local club builder and he said it's one of the most expensive shaft he's ever heard of and quoted around 450 from what I recall. I think I paid around 175 on Rakuten.

I play the Modus 120 in my Irons so the Formula B is the matching Wood shaft. I liked it but ended up sticking with the Aldila Rogue Silver 60

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

how do you find Nippon Driver/FW shafts? Have you tried them? I see on their site they have a specific one based on which Iron shaft you use however I dont think ive ever seen a Nippon driving shaft anywhere nor gamed by anyone.

They feel awesome, like their steel shafts.

I have the modus 120 X, and the corresponding Regio Formula B in X65 and X75.

It is hard to make a comparison, but I would say, that they play feel wise (if anything) similar to the HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 That would be mind blowingly good for me. 105 stiff launches too high for me & its killing me but its a great feel shaft though...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I have hit the Regio Formula M and the Regio Formula MB. The MB, which is similar to the Tour125 profile was great in my driver. I really liked the 65X, the 75X felt a bit heavy for me. I cut a 75x down to 3W length and had a bit too much action in the 3wd and had a tendency to spin on me. Felt nice, has a nice whip/release to it. But far better in a driver.

The M, the Tour130 shaft, is pretty stout. High launch and low spin for sure. I had to give it everything I had to load that shaft. It was pretty good in a FWY but spin was too low and I had trouble holding par 5 greens on the fly.

I quite enjoy the MB, would suggest you go err towards lighter than previous driver shafts. If you play 70, go 65 Regio MB. If you play 75, maybe can stay with 75. X flex was true to flex for me. In the M, would suggest X for fast swings that generate a lot of spin. This shaft hits it higher with zero spin. Kills spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I wonder how the “A-Pro” stepless shaft has done in testing and if Nippon will add a stepless shaft with PX-like playing characteristics while retaining Nippon feel

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the stepless A proto before. I have hit it. it was meant to be a Tour125 with no steps. To me it had a tiny bit more action in the lower end and I got just a bit higher launch and spin with it compared to Tour125. I only hit it once at the PGA show but I liked the look and provided my feedback to the team. It was a bit more Rifle FCM than PX to me. Which IMO is a good thing.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

So I'm due for new wedges for this year, I currently have ctaper 130x in them now. I'm playing the Modus 130x in my irons now, and wondering if I get the Modus 125 wedge shaft how is it going to play compared to putting in a cut down Modus and ctaper iron shaft? I do want my wedges to fly lower than they currently do and of course straighter, which is what the wedge shaft claims.

I wish my golf shop had the to try out.

Thanks all.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

• 3 weeks later...

I've been active in this topic and tried just about all the Modus shafts at one time or another. I've been swinging well of late. I have been on a steady workout regimine and tried to increase my swing speed. I went this past week to a Mizuno fitter and went through the Shaft Optimizer. My swing speed has increased and it spit out some interesting recommendations. My 6 iron speed was at 89 up from 85 the last time I tried the optimizer 18 months ago. The Mizuno recommendations were:

DG X100s Softstepped

PX 6.0

KBS Tour X Softstepped

I asked if it had the Modus listed and the fitter said it wasn't in my recommendations. I am hoping Mark will jump back in this thread and give me where I should land with these in Modus. From a preference standpoint, I have always favored the feel and kick of DGs. From a performance standpoint, I have always shot better scores with PX. They just seem to hold their line better and I like the lower weight. I do not like the harshness. One thing I do know is a bad swing with PX is harder to get away with than a bad swing with DGs. The only issue I have with DGs has always been too much spin and shots wandering offline more.

Anyway, looking for input and hoping to get settled again in a correct Modus.

If you like DG over PX, give the 105 or 125 a look. They will fly higher with less spin than DG and feel much smoother.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Question for the early-releasers who play or have tested the 130: what sort of "issues," if any, do/did you experience?

According to the Mizuno Optimizer I have an early release factor, however, I have tried the 120, 105, and 130 and of those three, the 130 easily performed the best. With the 120 and 105 shots seemed (for lack of better word) "spinny" and were mostly small fades; just didn't feel quite right. With the 130, dispersion seemed much tighter with, what looked to be, a better ball flight.

FWIW, I currently play PX; dislike the feel, but it's hard to argue the performance (for me).

Question for the early-releasers who play or have tested the 130: what sort of "issues," if any, do/did you experience?

According to the Mizuno Optimizer I have an early release factor, however, I have tried the 120, 105, and 130 and of those three, the 130 easily performed the best. With the 120 and 105 shots seemed (for lack of better word) "spinny" and were mostly small fades; just didn't feel quite right. With the 130, dispersion seemed much tighter with, what looked to be, a better ball flight.

FWIW, I currently play PX; dislike the feel, but it's hard to argue the performance (for me).

It might be the extra weight also. Not sure what PX you play? Going from Nippon 130 to 105 is a big weight difference. The 125s might work for you, but I don't think Mizuno stocks those.

I have been contemplating a change to the modus 130 stiff. I purchased a used demo 6 iron to test out and like it. However, I think the shaft may be soft stepped. Can Mark or someone that else tell me the length from the tip to the first step in a 130 stiff 6 iron shaft? Thanks!

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

It might be the extra weight also. Not sure what PX you play? Going from Nippon 130 to 105 is a big weight difference. The 125s might work for you, but I don't think Mizuno stocks those.

I do think I get along better with heavier shafts; I gravitate toward 80+ grams in my driver and fairways. My PX shafts are standard 5.5s though I usually “fit” into 6.5s and other X flexes, 6i SS is around 92mph. I can’t seem to get over the mental aspect of playing an X in my irons even though I’ve demoed many and haven’t had any problems, on the range anyway, so that’s part of why I play 5.5s and I felt like I retained more feel by playing a softer version.

I do think I get along better with heavier shafts; I gravitate toward 80+ grams in my driver and fairways. My PX shafts are standard 5.5s though I usually "fit" into 6.5s and other X flexes, 6i SS is around 92mph. I can't seem to get over the mental aspect of playing an X in my irons even though I've demoed many and haven't had any problems, on the range anyway, so that's part of why I play 5.5s and I felt like I retained more feel by playing a softer version.

I Played 5.5 in Project X and X flex in all my other clubs. I am now playing Nippon 120X in my irons.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I have been contemplating a change to the modus 130 stiff. I purchased a used demo 6 iron to test out and like it. However, I think the shaft may be soft stepped. Can Mark or someone that else tell me the length from the tip to the first step in a 130 stiff 6 iron shaft? Thanks!

I've got an uninstalled stiff 130 six iron shaft. It is 6 and 1/8th inch from the tip to the first step.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I’m revisiting this thread in hopes for smoothness. Been reading for a few hours now.

Currently play X100s straight in, Callaway Apex MB. Visited Golf Galaxy earlier today. Same head but with 120X. Hit the 8iron a few times and carrying around 155 yds which is longer than my current 8 iron.

Unfortunately I didn’t have my set to compare side by side.

Any recommendations of what I should test? Early to mid release but trying to work on holding the angle for a late release. Yet my normal swing is earlier release than desired.

X100s are nice if I get warmed up. However it catches up to me and feel heavy and harsh.

--------------------------

witb

ping g430 lst 9* tour 2.0 chrome 75x

titleist tsr2 7w 21* tensei 1k black 85x

cobra king tour 5-p kbs $-taper 130

ping glide 4.0 50S 56S z-z115

tm spider tour cb 38"

Ok so I’m revisiting this thread in hopes for smoothness. Been reading for a few hours now.

Currently play X100s straight in, Callaway Apex MB. Visited Golf Galaxy earlier today. Same head but with 120X. Hit the 8iron a few times and carrying around 155 yds which is longer than my current 8 iron.

Any recommendations of what I should test? Early to mid release but trying to work on holding the angle for a late release. Yet my normal swing is earlier release than desired.

X100s are nice if I get warmed up. However it catches up to me and feel heavy and harsh.

were you fit for the x100? i previously had DGS300 and like you, after a while they feel heavy and mishits we're not forgiving for me. I tested a few at my local Edwin Watts an fell onto the 105x straight in my 714 AP2s. ball flight was a lot nicer than DGS300, they felt great and you know when you hit a flush shot. mishits were not harsh at all. the 120s were also nice and just a touch heavier than the 105x. the 120x is about 10g lighter than the x100. if you can, try some more Nippon shafts just to make sure of it.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Is it just me, or has this thread outlived its shelf life?

I kid, I kid.

Finally got to hit the Modus 120 yesterday, and I was shocked at how much I liked it. Turns out the profile is very similar to the Project X LZ (which I absolutely love), so there you have it.

And now I'm off to the bay to find a set with some 120x.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Is it just me, or has this thread outlived its shelf life?

I kid, I kid.

Finally got to hit the Modus 120 yesterday, and I was shocked at how much I liked it. Turns out the profile is very similar to the Project X LZ (which I absolutely love), so there you have it.

And now I'm off to the bay to find a set with some 120x.

proclubs or sticks_n_stones_golf are two that I've seen who sell sets regularly.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I am hitting my current irons and shafts pretty well after my 4-5 month layoff. However because I am a member of WRX I am thinking of trying Nippons when I go to my Srixons.

I hit down on the ball and have a lower ball-flight in general. I have played the Brunswick Rifle, New Rifle flighted and non flighted. Played Brunswick at 7.0(I was a younger guy) and played 6.5 in both of the others. I am currently playing Recoil 110's in F5 soft stepped once. I played the Apollo Hump shaft in S for awhile in a set of I3's and then J36's as well. The recoils were a game changer for me, not sure if it was the lower weight, or the fact that I have long short irons and then go up only 1/4" increments(7 iron is about standard). I have Ctaper 130x in my Srixon's now, and they are horrible and very low flight.

I am leaning toward trying the 130 and 105 in Nippon. My Driver SS is 115-118. Should I go 105 in X and 130 in X, to trial? Transition is smooth most of the time, but if I go after on hard, it gets a little quicker. I will purchase an additional 6 or 7 iron to test side by side, just like I did with my J40 irons.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I am hitting my current irons and shafts pretty well after my 4-5 month layoff. However because I am a member of WRX I am thinking of trying Nippons when I go to my Srixons.

I hit down on the ball and have a lower ball-flight in general. I have played the Brunswick Rifle, New Rifle flighted and non flighted. Played Brunswick at 7.0(I was a younger guy) and played 6.5 in both of the others. I am currently playing Recoil 110's in F5 soft stepped once. I played the Apollo Hump shaft in S for awhile in a set of I3's and then J36's as well. The recoils were a game changer for me, not sure if it was the lower weight, or the fact that I have long short irons and then go up only 1/4" increments(7 iron is about standard). I have Ctaper 130x in my Srixon's now, and they are horrible and very low flight.

I am leaning toward trying the 130 and 105 in Nippon. My Driver SS is 115-118. Should I go 105 in X and 130 in X, to trial? Transition is smooth most of the time, but if I go after on hard, it gets a little quicker. I will purchase an additional 6 or 7 iron to test side by side, just like I did with my J40 irons.

I don’t know that this will help you or not but I have 100 mile an hour swing speed with the driver and I had the 130 stiff put straight in My Callaway apex and I had the 105 stiff in my ping I blade, and I liked the 130 over the 105. I just liked the smooth higher ball flight with the 130 & bad strikes were not harsh at all. To me they felt very balanced and light and when I sold those clubs to a guy that always hits a regular or senior flex he hit them well but he said after one round he was wore out they were so heavy so I don’t know

I would go 130x. Since you hit it low you will benefit from the higher launch of the 130 not to mention how much better the Modus feels over the C taper. No doubt the 130 will stand up to your swing, it is still a very stiff shaft.

The 105 is great too if you want to go the lighter route, X flex actually weighs in at 112g. I play the 105x but only swing around 108-110. The feel is incredible but is generally a lower flight than 130.

were you fit for the x100? i previously had DGS300 and like you, after a while they feel heavy and mishits we're not forgiving for me. I tested a few at my local Edwin Watts an fell onto the 105x straight in my 714 AP2s. ball flight was a lot nicer than DGS300, they felt great and you know when you hit a flush shot. mishits were not harsh at all. the 120s were also nice and just a touch heavier than the 105x. the 120x is about 10g lighter than the x100. if you can, try some more Nippon shafts just to make sure of it.

Ultimately I know I should get a fitting but...this is golfwrx. I'll probably test a new set the day after I truly do get fitted!

So, I got to hit my 7-iron with DG TI X100 vs the same 7-iron with the 120X. See numbers below. The first 5 shots are with the X100. The bottom 6 shots are with the 120X. The only difference aside from the shafts is that my club with X100 is bent 2* flat which is why the shots didn't leak further left.

Ultimately I see more consistent shots with the Nippons. Carry is more consistent but a higher spin. I definitely like the feel of the Nippons WAY better. Also, they certainly don't play less stiff as some may suggest. Might "feel" less stiff but I think the stiffness is true to stated flex.

--------------------------

witb

ping g430 lst 9* tour 2.0 chrome 75x

titleist tsr2 7w 21* tensei 1k black 85x

cobra king tour 5-p kbs $-taper 130

ping glide 4.0 50S 56S z-z115

tm spider tour cb 38"