It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

• 2 weeks later...
- Ive hit the X and loved the feel and flight but would rather have the weight of the TX. For those who care to answer, Would the TX be too much for a 90mph average 7 iron? Im a 5/2/2/4 on the optimizer if that influences anything

It’s tough to say. I’ve played both and the TX is noticeably firmer. You can definitley play the TXs at that speed but it becomes a different animal. More hitter profile than swinger, to reduce it to simple terms.

If you really wanted to retain the flex of the x and gain weight you’d either have to soft step TXs or hard step X. I’m in this same boat, have thought about how I’d do for my next set.

I’d either SS the TXs twice. Or hard step the Xs once or twice and maybe add a couple grams more weight in the head and grip to bring overall and swing weight up a hair. Flex would be about the same I think if not a hair stiffer, which I could live with.

Long answer sorry.. but imo the TX is a good bit stiffer and unless you’re really powerful it takes the 120 away from its sweet spot, which is a swingers shaft.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

And what are these...

they've been out for a while i believe.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1507302-zac-blair-with-black-nippon-shafts/

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Thank you

- I’ve hit the X and loved the feel and flight but would rather have the weight of the TX. For those who care to answer, Would the TX be too much for a 90mph average 7 iron? I’m a 5/2/2/4 on the optimizer if that influences anything

It’s tough to say. I’ve played both and the TX is noticeably firmer. You can definitley play the TXs at that speed but it becomes a different animal. More hitter profile than swinger, to reduce it to simple terms.

If you really wanted to retain the flex of the x and gain weight you’d either have to soft step TXs or hard step X. I’m in this same boat, have thought about how I’d do for my next set.

I’d either SS the TXs twice. Or hard step the Xs once or twice and maybe add a couple grams more weight in the head and grip to bring overall and swing weight up a hair. Flex would be about the same I think if not a hair stiffer, which I could live with.

Long answer sorry.. but imo the TX is a good bit stiffer and unless you’re really powerful it takes the 120 away from its sweet spot, which is a swingers shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything in the Modus line that would be similar to the True Temper Black Gold? I play the black gold in stiff flex and really like them. I've got an extra set of heads and would like to shaft them up and of course I've heard good things about the Nippons. I know the black golds have a bit of a reputation as playing stiffer to flex, but I've always got along well with them. Driver ss 105-108. Thanks for any insight.

Yeah, that 130x was tough to turn over on the back 9, and I had to give it all I had before that. It was the weirdest feeling, very stiff but very smooth. It felt up there with DG X7 while I was swinging, but there was a strange kick after impact in the tip. At first, I thought my club head was coming off. I liked the kick and flight, but I had to move on just because I couldn’t trust myself to load it consistently. Based on the charts, the stiff seems quite a bit softer overall and especially so in the tip. I’m expecting everything I liked about the 130x except on every swing.

For reference, this is a well struck 6 iron shot for me with the c-taper s+ outdoors with a range ball off of a mat. Given the ball speed, I’m assuming the club speed reading was a bit off. I’m hoping to add a little more height and spin while keeping a similar overall distance. I really like a high ball flight that lands soft without too much roll out, but I don’t want the double carpal tunnel and tommy john surgeries that are going to come with continued use of the c tapers.

I had the 130s stiff shaft, no soft step or hard stepped.

They really had a nice high flight, but when I picked up my new Titleist TMB irons I had the steel project XLZ 6.0 shaft put in and they felt really good but sometimes after playing with the Nippon shafts or the project X sometimes my elbows or my hands hurt a little so I tried the project XLZ60 in the graphite version and I’m gonna tell you, what a smooth shaft that is and I don’t even feel anything after I’m done with a round of golf. Usually you feel it the next morning but but I’ve had nothing pop up since I’ve been playing those shafts but there is nothing wrong with the Nippons. they tried to put me into a C taper light and I’m gonna tell you that felt like a baseball bat to me .

but that's only an 80gr shaft isnt it?.....big weight difference, some would struggle to drop 20 plus grams

- I’ve hit the X and loved the feel and flight but would rather have the weight of the TX. For those who care to answer, Would the TX be too much for a 90mph average 7 iron? I’m a 5/2/2/4 on the optimizer if that influences anything

Do you happen to know how the two vary in the handle stiffness? I love the 120X feel but overload the handle early since im more of a hitter than a swinger and end up losing it left.

Im giving the NS Pro 1150X a trial and they are substantially stiffer in the handle and the total curvature is much less, but I miss the modus feel so I wonder if the 120 TX would be a decent middle ground

Do you happen to know how the two vary in the handle stiffness? I love the 120X feel but overload the handle early since im more of a hitter than a swinger and end up losing it left.

Im giving the NS Pro 1150X a trial and they are substantially stiffer in the handle and the total curvature is much less, but I miss the modus feel so I wonder if the 120 TX would be a decent middle ground

No doubt, the TX is a much tighter shaft in the butt and mid. The tip its hard to notice as even the 120X has a massively stable tip. For me the TX is much more traditional (I could play it or an X100 interchangeably), whereas the X is a truly novel shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a snap shot of my fitting from today. This was with the standard S flex. What a freaking smoooth shaft that produces absolute rockets. Shaft was paired to Apex 19 Pro 6 iron

Agree with Modus 120 feel as will almost EVERYONE else on this forum! FWIW Smash factor approaching 1.5 with a 6i???? That's illegal!!!

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Yea, I queried more knowledgeable minds than mine on here and the consensus is that ball speed is very accurate on Trackman, smash not so much. My takeaway is that my swing speed is prob a bit higher than listed to achieve those ball speeds. Nonetheless, I’m happy , no ,ecstatic with my results. The 120 feels great and apparently fits my swing very well

Here's a snap shot of my fitting from today. This was with the standard S flex. What a freaking smoooth shaft that produces absolute rockets. Shaft was paired to Apex 19 Pro 6 iron

Agree with Modus 120 feel as will almost EVERYONE else on this forum! FWIW Smash factor approaching 1.5 with a 6i???? That's illegal!!!

Yea, I queried more knowledgeable minds than mine on here and the consensus is that ball speed is very accurate on Trackman, smash not so much. My takeaway is that my swing speed is prob a bit higher than listed to achieve those ball speeds. Nonetheless, I’m happy , no ,ecstatic with my results. The 120 feels great and apparently fits my swing very well

Good point. TM's inside numbers aren't as good as being outdoors. I always preferred the ForeSight for consistency when using indoors and outside.

Did you try the Modus 120X?

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Good point. TM's inside numbers aren't as good as being outdoors. I always preferred the ForeSight for consistency when using indoors and outside.

With ball speeds like that you've gotta try the X. Unless you're 6'5" and SUPER smooth the X is almost surely a better fit. It's still a very, very smooth shaft at those speeds. Probably just tighten up dispersion a hair.

Edit: I suppose weight could be a factor - I think the S is 114g and the 120 is.. well 120g. Again though, its the rare fit when someone hits a 6 iron 200+ and prefers something lighter than 120g in a mid iron shaft.

I did not. My ego wanted to, but everything felt perfect

• 3 weeks later...

Long time listener, first time caller on this thread...

I found a friendly deal on a full pull set of Modus 125x and decided to reshaft them in my Z785 irons. I was hesitant to make a big change at first because I've been a X100 player for the last decade, with S300 in my wedges. Yesterday was decent weather, but very windy, so I took them out for a run.

From what I gathered, the 125 is most similar to DG, and I found that to be the case. The transition to these shafts was almost seamless and I didn't feel like I needed to change a single thing in my swing. They just felt...right. Accuracy on the range was impressive, and in the wind on course they were even better. It was about a 2-club wind with higher gusts, and a few spots to hit mid irons right into it. The combination with the new Z-Star was unreal. Smoothness is subjective, and I always felt that DG was pretty smooth in the swing once the club is weighted properly, but the Modus takes the edge once you're making ground and ball contact. It's SWEET.

Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

> Long time listener, first time caller on this thread...

>

> I found a friendly deal on a full pull set of Modus 125x and decided to reshaft them in my Z785 irons. I was hesitant to make a big change at first because I've been a X100 player for the last decade, with S300 in my wedges. Yesterday was decent weather, but very windy, so I took them out for a run.

>

> From what I gathered, the 125 is most similar to DG, and I found that to be the case. The transition to these shafts was almost seamless and I didn't feel like I needed to change a single thing in my swing. They just felt...right. Accuracy on the range was impressive, and in the wind on course they were even better. It was about a 2-club wind with higher gusts, and a few spots to hit mid irons right into it. The combination with the new Z-Star was unreal. Smoothness is subjective, and I always felt that DG was pretty smooth in the swing once the club is weighted properly, but the Modus takes the edge once you're making ground and ball contact. It's SWEET.

>

> Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

I play the 125x shafts and went with the 125x in my 50 degree, but went with the 125 wedge shaft in my 54 and 58 degree. I think they are great and pair well with the 125x. They are slightly heavier, but very smooth and I've had no issue have to flight them low, med, or high. Great for full and pitch shots.

> @BigHook25 said:

> > @GooseHook said:

> > Long time listener, first time caller on this thread...

> >

> > I found a friendly deal on a full pull set of Modus 125x and decided to reshaft them in my Z785 irons. I was hesitant to make a big change at first because I've been a X100 player for the last decade, with S300 in my wedges. Yesterday was decent weather, but very windy, so I took them out for a run.

> >

> > From what I gathered, the 125 is most similar to DG, and I found that to be the case. The transition to these shafts was almost seamless and I didn't feel like I needed to change a single thing in my swing. They just felt...right. Accuracy on the range was impressive, and in the wind on course they were even better. It was about a 2-club wind with higher gusts, and a few spots to hit mid irons right into it. The combination with the new Z-Star was unreal. Smoothness is subjective, and I always felt that DG was pretty smooth in the swing once the club is weighted properly, but the Modus takes the edge once you're making ground and ball contact. It's SWEET.

> >

> > Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

>

> I play the 125x shafts and went with the 125x in my 50 degree, but went with the 125 wedge shaft in my 54 and 58 degree. I think they are great and pair well with the 125x. They are slightly heavier, but very smooth and I've had no issue have to flight them low, med, or high. Great for full and pitch shots.

Thanks!

I think the gap wedge is 100% go. I use my 54 and 58 for full shots whenever yardage permits, so I think I might try the Modus' out for a little while. It costs me nothing but time to re-shaft.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

> > @BigHook25 said:

> > > @GooseHook said:

> > > Long time listener, first time caller on this thread...

> > >

> > > I found a friendly deal on a full pull set of Modus 125x and decided to reshaft them in my Z785 irons. I was hesitant to make a big change at first because I've been a X100 player for the last decade, with S300 in my wedges. Yesterday was decent weather, but very windy, so I took them out for a run.

> > >

> > > From what I gathered, the 125 is most similar to DG, and I found that to be the case. The transition to these shafts was almost seamless and I didn't feel like I needed to change a single thing in my swing. They just felt...right. Accuracy on the range was impressive, and in the wind on course they were even better. It was about a 2-club wind with higher gusts, and a few spots to hit mid irons right into it. The combination with the new Z-Star was unreal. Smoothness is subjective, and I always felt that DG was pretty smooth in the swing once the club is weighted properly, but the Modus takes the edge once you're making ground and ball contact. It's SWEET.

> > >

> > > Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

> >

> > I play the 125x shafts and went with the 125x in my 50 degree, but went with the 125 wedge shaft in my 54 and 58 degree. I think they are great and pair well with the 125x. They are slightly heavier, but very smooth and I've had no issue have to flight them low, med, or high. Great for full and pitch shots.

>

> Thanks!

> I think the gap wedge is 100% go. I use my 54 and 58 for full shots whenever yardage permits, so I think I might try the Modus' out for a little while. It costs me nothing but time to re-shaft.

I think you will be fine. The last few sets I've put the same shaft in my wedges as my irons and prefer it. I had trouble with those dynamic gold specific wedge shafts or S300s spinning too much on 3/4 and full shots, and getting destroyed by the wind. I tried something different this time and I'm very happy. I hardly hit any full shots with my 58 though.

Tried the full Modus line in various heads except for the 125 of which I still have a full uncut set to use at some point. However, just finished shafting up a set of ‘13 X-Forged with 130s after testing the 6 iron for a few weeks (months with the winter?). Never got along with the 120 or the 105 so hoping there’s some magic in the 130. Not usually a fan of softer tipped anything, but I want to see a little higher ball flight throughout my set, especially in the long irons.

> @t4t3r said:

> Tried the full Modus line in various heads except for the 125 of which I still have a full uncut set to use at some point. However, just finished shafting up a set of ‘13 X-Forged with 130s after testing the 6 iron for a few weeks (months with the winter?). Never got along with the 120 or the 105 so hoping there’s some magic in the 130. Not usually a fan of softer tipped anything, but I want to see a little higher ball flight throughout my set, especially in the long irons.

Are you seeing higher flight?

I'm definitely getting a little help with the 125 compared to X100. It's a little flatter too, sometimes Dynamic Gold gives you those late risers that the wind gobbles up.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

> > @t4t3r said:

> > Tried the full Modus line in various heads except for the 125 of which I still have a full uncut set to use at some point. However, just finished shafting up a set of ‘13 X-Forged with 130s after testing the 6 iron for a few weeks (months with the winter?). Never got along with the 120 or the 105 so hoping there’s some magic in the 130. Not usually a fan of softer tipped anything, but I want to see a little higher ball flight throughout my set, especially in the long irons.

>

> Are you seeing higher flight?

> I'm definitely getting a little help with the 125 compared to X100. It's a little flatter too, sometimes Dynamic Gold gives you those late risers that the wind gobbles up.

Literally just finished them tonight but I will get some good testing in this weekend. The 6i was promising. Like you I am coming from x100s albeit in a different set of heads, but was never a huge DG guy until I finally tried them in X which I would probably never be fitted into. 7i and up was perfect with the DG, but 6 on down just never gave me the right launch and descent. Had to really hit it flush or I would get those late risers you mentioned, but accuracy-wise they were the best I’ve used. I’ve also tested the AMT x100 which solved my long iron issues but I didn’t do enough testing with the short irons to fully commit to switching.

Had a brief moment of panic the other day when I realized the BBGM on my wedges would have made my pulls play 36+". Got some new grips yesterday and trimmed the wedges up with the 125x.

Out today to try them on the course. No excuses, the swingweights and lengths are bang on.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

> Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

I played the 125X iron shaft in my GW and SW for a while but ultimately ended up with a heavier softer option for them. 125X to me is like an S300 in a wedge. I like more of an S400 feel so i use some heavier Nippon prototypes. The 125 Wedge shaft to me is more like an S200 and was just too light and too crisp feeling for my wedge game. I like to feel a little heft and know I can get through the wet grass or sand easily and let the pendulum weight of the club swing on my path for me.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

> @markheardjr said:

> > @GooseHook said:

> > Now I've got three extra pulls staring at me, but this time it's 125x vs. S300 wedges. Anyone playing their irons shafts straight through in wedges?

>

> I played the 125X iron shaft in my GW and SW for a while but ultimately ended up with a heavier softer option for them. 125X to me is like an S300 in a wedge. I like more of an S400 feel so i use some heavier Nippon prototypes. The 125 Wedge shaft to me is more like an S200 and was just too light and too crisp feeling for my wedge game. I like to feel a little heft and know I can get through the wet grass or sand easily and let the pendulum weight of the club swing on my path for me.

>

>

I played them for the first time today and absolutely loved them!

Doing my wedge builds myself gave some peace of mind. Having the 54 and 58 set up at D5 brought me back to some good feels.

On full shots, they were dead straight today and the ball stopped dead at its pitch mark. Chipping felt really natural and not all that different from S400. The only observation I had was that full swings gained a little bit of distance. Highlight of the day was stuffing a 110 yard shot to a foot and kick in bird.

I need to practice some more and get the partial shots down but I don't think I'm going back to DG.

In my irons, the 125 was outstanding. I was able to work the ball for the first time in a long time .

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've played DG my entire life. Had a brief run with PX, then tried some Program 130s.

I just put 105s in, and my goodness gracious - best steel iron shafts in the history of golf. It's that dramatic. Amazing shafts.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Played in more howling wind yesterday. Very happy with the ball flight I'm getting out of the 125 setup.

• Like 2

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX