2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

> @jjmurry said:

> > @Putn4par1 said:

> > 41bqmnvt4nbn.png

> >

> > This was taken direct from Nippon's website.

> >

>

> Lol this is super helpful... basically 120's are a crapshoot. Great. I'm a sweeper and I've read that sweepers end up having issues with the 120's so I'm going to try to cancel the order and try again.

Can you expand on this?

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

> @Oknows said:

> > @jjmurry said:

> > > @Putn4par1 said:

> > > 41bqmnvt4nbn.png

> > >

> > > This was taken direct from Nippon's website.

> > >

> >

> > Lol this is super helpful... basically 120's are a crapshoot. Great. I'm a sweeper and I've read that sweepers end up having issues with the 120's so I'm going to try to cancel the order and try again.

>

> Can you expand on this?

In a few threads (don't have the links handy) it seems as though for whatever reason the sweepers of the ball don't like the 120's. Whether it's the soft mid section or whatever, it increases ball flight too much. That's something I need to avoid at all costs. I'm going to see how the irons that I ordered turn out with the modus 120X (albeit the fitter recommended to srixon that they jack the lofts 2* strong). We'll see.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

> @ClubChamp88 said:

> I know Im late to the party, but anyone have any idea what would be close to project x pxi 6.5 in the modus world? Driver swing speed 120..smooth tempo

>

PXi was not my favorite shaft, I tried them in a set of Callaway Razr MB blades. Very light feeling yet still very stout so I felt more vibration than I'd like to. It also had trouble in the rough powering through thick grass, even with the compact blade head.

To me Tour105X would be closest for feeling of lighter yet firm profile but would provide a touch more kick, more feel, less vibration. If you want to go heavier could check out Tour130 which is more like a PX 6.5 than PXi.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

> @jjmurry said:

> > @Oknows said:

> > > @jjmurry said:

> > > > @Putn4par1 said:

> > > > 41bqmnvt4nbn.png

> > > >

> > > > This was taken direct from Nippon's website.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Lol this is super helpful... basically 120's are a crapshoot. Great. I'm a sweeper and I've read that sweepers end up having issues with the 120's so I'm going to try to cancel the order and try again.

> >

> > Can you expand on this?

>

> In a few threads (don't have the links handy) it seems as though for whatever reason the sweepers of the ball don't like the 120's. Whether it's the soft mid section or whatever, it increases ball flight too much. That's something I need to avoid at all costs. I'm going to see how the irons that I ordered turn out with the modus 120X (albeit the fitter recommended to srixon that they jack the lofts 2* strong). We'll see.

I'd also add I think sweepers tend to be pickers and the 120 is so tip stiff the thin shots sting a bit more. Diggers like it for being very stable through the ground, but softer butt section filters out that clunky chunk feel in the hands.

> @COmedic said:

> Hey guys, love the info on here. I recently purchased a set of Z785 irons and was fitted for DG AMT S300s. I got the clubs in and have had had major issues with drawing/ hooking on every swing. My previous clubs have been MP18s with PX LZ 6.5 ( a little stout and frequently ballooned), and MP32s with S300 shafts ( launched too high, felt like I left a lot of distance out there). My driver SS is 110, 7 iron 90 mph. I’m a sweeper by nature and occasionally release early. I’m between the Modus 120x, 125 (s or x) or 130s. Anybody else have issues with overdrawing irons that were straightened out by any of these shafts? I believe it’s an equipment issue more than a swing issue as I’ve never had more than a nice little baby draw on previous sets.

>

>

Did you check the lies? Maybe you're too upright and the heel is digging in, perhaps some shaft droop exacerbating that too. 120 may be more of the same from DG, the profiles are pretty similar. You may be reacting to the feeling of the shaft releasing early. Try the 125, i think Stiff, possibly hardstepped. The firmer grip section will give you more confidence and better feedback. The mid-kick section I think will feel more what you're looking for for timing of release/feedback.

If you have trouble ballooning shafts that tend to be too stiff for you you may want to stay away from Tour130. I have a similar issue with shafts like DG X7 launching very high. Tour 130 was great in the mid irons. but short irons were skyrockets and long irons 3-5i were all the same distance.

> @markheardjr said:

> > @jjmurry said:

> > > @Oknows said:

> > > > @jjmurry said:

> > > > > @Putn4par1 said:

> > > > > 41bqmnvt4nbn.png

> > > > >

> > > > > This was taken direct from Nippon's website.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Lol this is super helpful... basically 120's are a crapshoot. Great. I'm a sweeper and I've read that sweepers end up having issues with the 120's so I'm going to try to cancel the order and try again.

> > >

> > > Can you expand on this?

> >

> > In a few threads (don't have the links handy) it seems as though for whatever reason the sweepers of the ball don't like the 120's. Whether it's the soft mid section or whatever, it increases ball flight too much. That's something I need to avoid at all costs. I'm going to see how the irons that I ordered turn out with the modus 120X (albeit the fitter recommended to srixon that they jack the lofts 2* strong). We'll see.

>

> I'd also add I think sweepers tend to be pickers and the 120 is so tip stiff the thin shots sting a bit more. Diggers like it for being very stable through the ground, but softer butt section filters out that clunky chunk feel in the hands.

I would definitely agree with this. Biggest difference between PX and The 120s that I have noticed.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I agree with the comments about the modus 120x - very similar in stiffness profile mid section to the project x 6.5. This shaft is firm but smoother than the PX, launch about the same. The modus modus 120x is a big boy shaft, ask Stenson the giant. From my own experience the modus shafts seem a lot stiffer in the x flex variants as if to indicate pros only.

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally had the opportunity to play a few rounds with the Modus 120x shafts in a set of Srixon 785s. I have been thrilled with the results of this combo so far. They have a great flight and the tightest on-course accuracy that I have ever experienced. No problems elevating long irons. I will agree that I definitely know when I catch the ball a little thin as the feedback is more harsh, but I actually appreciate the feedback as a reminder to suck less. When I get a little quick in transition a strong draw shows up, but smooth swings are rewarded in feel and results. Love the combo!

• 5 weeks later...

I originally ordered my mp-18's with Modus 120x. Great feel, good launch and spin numbers. After playing them for a year, my iron accuracy has never been worse. Spraying shots all over the yard. I would agree with many here that they play soft to flex. In the past I have had success with Project X 6.0 and 6.5's. Can't stand dynamic gold. By chance my local shop had Modus 130 s flex in a used set. Fantastic. May be the best iron shafts I have ever hit. Have since reshafted my MIzunos with Modus 130 s flex and dispersion is so much tighter. The suggestion that Modus 130 fits a Project X player is spot on for me. Mid launch, low spin, flat flight. I am now curious to hit the Modus 130 x flex. Ordered a demo 7 iron off eBay to try it out. Hoping Mizuno starts to carry Modus 130, otherwise I may look at a different brand for my next irons. (For reference: 90-95 mph 6 iron, 110-115 driver, high spin, low launch)

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting some new irons and was looking into Nippons shaft as these are an option for the Srixon 965. (Found a great deal new, so can't go test).

I currently play a Epic Sub-Zero with Oban Devoution 06-04... 102-110mph SS, This is my favourite club in the bag and most consistent, love the feel of this shaft. (Straight to Draw)

Irons are Cobra Fly-Z plus with S300... Six iron carry 168-178'ish. (Pull, Straight and the occasional block).

I wouldn't mind going a little lighter on the shaft, but not to light.

Just wondered what shaft some of you people would recommend?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for a little help/guidance. Play modus 125X in my irons; 3-PW. Was looking at tinkering with the wedges (currently using modus wedge 125)

If I wanted to keep the 125X iron shafts for use in my wedges, what iron shaft should I order? most seem to say go with a #8 iron shaft, but what is the difference between going fo a #8iron shaft vs #PW shaft for the wedges?

Look forward to the responses.

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

• 2 months later...

I’ve been contemplating switching from my DGTI s400 shafts for a while now. I was debating the AMT s400 or the DG120, but after trying them out in various demo clubs, I didn’t care for them in the longer irons

After reading this thread and various threads here on the site, I went ahead and ordered a set of 125s for my 5-P. I have a 4 iron with my set, but I’ve had my Adams super 9031 23* with a s300 shaft in the bag for so long, that I don’t want to mess with it. I may have to adjust that if the gapping is off with the new shafts, but I’ll deal with that later if need be.

I’m also going to leave my other wedges with the DGTI s400 for the time being, but those may change depending on how the 125s go. I’ll be back with some updates.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2016 at 7:35 AM, markheardjr said:

post#2939

Modus / Rifle / DG / KBS

120 R / 105 R ssx1 / 125 R ssx1 / 4.0-4.5 / R200 / KBS Tour R

120 S ssx1 / 105R / 125 R / 4.5-5.0 / R300 / C-Taper Lite R

130 R / 120 S / 125 R hsx1 / 105R hsx1 / 105S ssx1 / 125 S ssx1 / 5.0-5.4 / S200 SSx1 / C-Taper Lite R HSx1, Tour V R

120 S hsx1 / 105 S / 125 S / 5.5 / S200 / S400 ssx1 & S300 ssx1 / C-Taper R, C-Taper Lite S SSX1, KBS Tour S

120 X /105 S hsx1 / 125 S hsx1 / 125 X ssx1 / 6.0-6.4 / S300 & S400 / S200 hsx1 / C-taper S+ / KBS Tour X

130 S / 105 X /125 X / 6.3-6.8 / S400 hsx1, X100, X200 ssx1 / Tour V S hsx1

120 TX / 105 X hsx1 / 125 X hsx1 / 6.5-7.0 / X100 hsx1, X200 / C-Taper X

130 X SSx1 / 7.0-7.1 / DG Tour X7 ssx1 / Tour V 120&125 X

130 X / 7.2+ / X300, DG Tour X7 / C-Taper 130 X

ssx1 = Soft Step 1 time hsx1 = Hard Step 1 time.

Bump for reference.

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex
  • Like 2

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

• 1 year later...

Currently garming modus 130x in my i210s.  Ball goes high and straight, but can’t flight it low or work it much.  

this is golf wrx so I built up a backup i210 9iron with modus 125 x hard stepped.  Initial testing was it flight much lower and very, very straight unless I tried to work it.  My strike quality wasn’t quite as good as I tended to hit it thin.   Going to try the 125x straight in tomorrow.  Hoping I get the same flight and clean up strike quality.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this back up.   Bought a set of used Z forged clubs with modus 120x in them and they have worked out surprisingly well.  It’s winter so swing speed is down a bit, but I’m getting the flight I’m looking for without ballooning.  Have any other high swing speed players found the 120x to be a good fit?  My stock 7 irons is about 175 with the the Z forged at 96-98mph ss.

• Like 2

I have been back and forth between the stiff and x-stiff Modus 120 and get really good results with both... a few yards lost with the x however it doesn't feel harsh and its very accurate... for now though its the 120 stiff in my ZX7's. I did have success in the past with Project X LZ's, Project X flighted, DG TI and I don't think any of those are as smooth or as accurate as the Modus 120. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

On 11/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

Bumping this back up.   Bought a set of used Z forged clubs with modus 120x in them and they have worked out surprisingly well.  It’s winter so swing speed is down a bit, but I’m getting the flight I’m looking for without ballooning.  Have any other high swing speed players found the 120x to be a good fit?  My stock 7 irons is about 175 with the the Z forged at 96-98mph ss.

My SS is a about 5 mph slower, but found Modus 120x to great option for mid launch with controlled spin as long as you have a smooth transition. I got similar launch numbers with Modus 130s but with way different feel. Easier to flight 120x too. 

How did your experiment with 125x go? It's the one Modus shaft I haven't hit yet. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I want to try the 125, but can't find them around here to demo.  Have been gaming 120X for a while. I like them but they get a bit spinny and don't feel as good as the 125 Wedge shafts in my bag.

Anyone gaming 125 and 125 wedge and can compare them?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback