world Ranking points at Isleworth

corky

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1417543754' post='10531537']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1417543638' post='10531521']
So now tigers silly season event is being being given equal weight to WGC's?

The defenders of the gaudy amount of points being handed out have asserted that objecting to it, of course, = Tiger "hate". I think we've seen enough from these usual suspects to justify a counter argument that their undying love and admiration prevents them from reasonably considering basic facts and determine in an unbiased way that, were this hosted by ANY other player, 46 Points would have them screaming "thats ridiculous"
[/quote]

WGC Events give out 100 points, so i'm now sure how you draw the conclusion of a silly season event being given "equal weight"

Your next point is.......?
[/quote]

The same one I just made since apparently your bias has so permeated your thinking you're unable to see I was clearly referring to the argument that says "well since other no cut and/or limited field events, like WGC'S, get points its no problem here"

Beyond that I already made a far more important point. Which your myopia apparently forced you to just ignore. That was, if this were any other host, you'd find this a little absurd too.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Never really started this thread as a criticism of Tiger but it seems some of his supporters are so conditioned to see everything through a TW filter that they lose perspective.......

I would have started this thread if it had been Rory's tournament.......

The thing that got me riled up was Zach Johnson saying that "this tournament was just a way of shaking off rust and that the guys see it as a nice relaxing tournament played in 2 balls under 4 hours"...... It does not deserve any ranking points.

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1417546171' post='10531757']
Never really started this thread as a criticism of Tiger but it seems some of his supporters are so conditioned to see everything through a TW filter that they lose perspective.......

I would have started this thread if it had been Rory's tournament.......

The thing that got me riled up was Zach Johnson saying that "this tournament was just a way of shaking off rust and that the guys see it as a nice relaxing tournament played in 2 balls under 4 hours"...... It does not deserve any ranking points.
[/quote]

See, i can get my arms and head around that argument. Sure, maybe the event is given too many OWGR points to begin with, especially considering the tournament is held during silly season. The problem is the OWGR field ranking formula is how they base the point structure. Instead of arguing this tournament should have any or as many points, perhaps the better argument is changing the point distribution formula.

Also, i couldn't care less about the other tournaments that give OWGR points. I just want to see fields with great golfers competing for a title. If they give points or don't give points it won't impact my enjoyment of the event one way or the other.

Corky it's not you...it's the time of year. People are going through withdrawal from not playing regularly and having the majority of the content on the Golf Channel being Tin Cup and Caddyshack.

Zach Johnson made a comment on Morning Drive today about how this is "Great Christmas money." Last place (hardly the appropriate term) pays out $100,000.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1417546670' post='10531809']
Corky it's not you...it's the time of year. People are going through withdrawal from not playing regularly and having the majority of the content on the Golf Channel being Tin Cup and Caddyshack.

Zach Johnson made a comment on Morning Drive today about how this is "Great Christmas money." Last place (hardly the appropriate term) pays out $100,000.
[/quote]

The pressure to win must be overwhelming!

Nerves galore, I tells ya...

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1417546798' post='10531825']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hogz can you imagine telling Mrs. Hogan you're going to play golf for 5 days and the least you'll bring home is $80K (after expenses)? She'd help pack your bag and drive you to O'Hare!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1417546936' post='10531849']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hogz can you imagine telling Mrs. Hogan you're going to play golf for 5 days and the least you'll bring home is $80K (after expenses)? She'd help pack your bag and drive you to O'Hare!
[/quote]

You kidding- she's tagging along...

Mighty chilly on the lake these days...

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1417544578' post='10531601']
I seem to recall Jack saying he could basically mark off every player in a field and get the # down to about 10-15 guys he had to actually beat each week. Those fields were 156 man fields as far as i know.

Perhaps someone who has a better memory or knows the actual quote can find it for us. Also, my sincere apologies if i am way off base w/ my recollection of the quote.
[/quote] something like this? Interesting he includes Weiskopf. With 16 wins and just one major. If Tiger ever said the same about O'Meara they would laugh at him.
[color=#323232]
The competition question is interesting. Everyone has pointed out – and Nicklaus is quick to agree with this point – that Woods won his 14 majors against a much deeper pool of good players. There are probably 40 or 50 players capable this week of playing well enough to win, way more than in Nicklaus’ day.[/color][color=#323232]
But Nicklaus does believe firmly that with only a handful of exceptions, Woods did not face nearly as many [i]great[/i] golfers as he contended with.[/color][color=#323232]
“Tiger has had a whole bunch of guys who would give it away,” he says. “And it’s not his fault, but I had (Arnold) Palmer, (Gary) Player, (Lee) Trevino, (Tom) Watson, (Johnny) Miller, (Tom) Weiskopf, (Billy) Casper. Those guys weren't going to give it away. … If you slipped, you looked at that leaderboard. And if I saw those names on that leaderboard I knew that they weren't going to make many mistakes so I couldn't make many mistakes. But if I saw some other name - Jones, Smith, whatever - up there on the leaderboard, then I said ‘Don't get yourself in trouble and do anything stupid and you are going to win a golf tournament. Because they will self-destruct.’[/color]

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
question...do the 6 or 7 of you same guys who come into every Tiger Woods thread (and you know who you are) to bash him as if he was some terrorist ever get bored of it? I also find it hilarious that your group pretends to know each other...as if you have met in real life..that common bond of hate must run deep

[quote name='Lennon Mccartney' timestamp='1417548856' post='10532041']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
question...do the 6 or 7 of you same guys who come into every Tiger Woods thread (and you know who you are) to bash him as if he was some terrorist ever get bored of it? I also find it hilarious that your group pretends to know each other...as if you have met in real life..that common bond of hate must run deep
[/quote]

If you can point out 1 thread where I've bashed Tiger it would be appreciated. I always offer incredible respect for his talents and the results he's generated. I'll challenge him as much as any other player as well.

For some of us who have been posting for a while here, we have come to know each other in some regard and some of us actually golf together. While I haven't had the privilege of golfing with Hogan, we've exchanged enough notes/posts for me to think highly of him.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1417549384' post='10532099']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If you can point out 1 thread where I've bashed Tiger it would be appreciated. I always offer incredible respect for his talents and the results he's generated. I'll challenge him as much as any other player as well.

For some of us who have been posting for a while here, we have come to know each other in some regard and some of us actually golf together. While I haven't had the privilege of golfing with Hogan, we've exchanged enough notes/posts for me to think highly of him.
[/quote]
Don't be ashamed of not having had the privlege of golfing with Hogan...There aren't a ton of people on earth who have played golf with him left... Mr. Hogan passed in 1997. It is cool hearing that you and Mr. Hogan exchanged enough posts/notes though. Didn't realize he frequented this site when he was alive.

[quote name='Lennon Mccartney' timestamp='1417549778' post='10532141']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Don't be ashamed of not having had the privlege of golfing with Hogan...There aren't a ton of people on earth who have played golf with him left... Mr. Hogan passed in 1997. It is cool hearing that you and Mr. Hogan exchanged enough posts/notes though. Didn't realize he frequented this site when he was alive.

Wow

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1417550512' post='10532215']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow
[/quote]

Thank you Kymar. Glad it wasn't just me.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1417541748' post='10531293']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1417538935' post='10531057']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1417538644' post='10531041']
[quote name='corky' timestamp='1417531250' post='10530345']
Who decides that this tournament is eligible for world ranking points...???

It's a limited field with no cut,,,,,, totally unfair to the rest of the uninvited players........

the rich get richer.......
[/quote]

play better and earn your spoils….open to everyone via the means described below

[b][u]HERO WORLD CHALLENGE FIELD[/u][/b]

"Our field of 18 elite PGA TOUR players is determined as follows: the current four major winners, the top 11 available from the Official World Golf Ranking, the defending champion and two special-exemption players."

[b][u]Nedbank Golf Challenge Eligibility Criteria for 2014[/u][/b]

"The eligibility criteria for a place in one of the most sought-after fields in world golf has been extended to ensure the 2014 Nedbank Golf Challenge will be amongst the most globally represented tournaments in the history of South African golf. Closing date for qualification: Thursday 20 November 2014 (Two weeks prior to the tournament)

(a) Defending Champion. (b) The winner of the 2013 Sunshine Tour Official Order of Merit, if not already exempt through (a). © The winner of the 2013 Asian Tour Order of Merit, if not already exempt through (a), (b). (d) The winner of the 2013 Japan Golf Tour Order of Merit, if not already exempt through (a), (b), ©. (e) The winner of the 2013 PGA Tour of Australasia’s Order of Merit, if not already exempt through (a), (b), ©, (d). (f) The top 10 available players from the Official World Golf Ranking on the Monday after the 2014 US PGA Championship (Monday 11 August), if not already exempt through (a), (b), ©, (d), (e). (g) The top 10 available players in the top 30 of the final 2014 Race to Dubai on Monday 24 November, if not already exempt through (a), (b), ©, (d), (e), (f). (h) There will be a maximum of 5 South African players in the field. If at the conclusion of the 2014 Race to Dubai there are less than 5 South African players that have qualified through (a) to (g) combined, then the difference will be made up from the next highest ranked South Africans on the Official World Golf Ranking as of Monday 24 November. (i) If additional players are required to fill the field to 30 players, these will be selected in the following order: (1) The winner of the 2014 Cape Town Open, if not already exempt. (2) The number one player on the Sunshine Tour Order of Merit on Monday 24 November, if not already exempt. (3) Players not already exempt and in order of ranking on the final 2014 Race to Dubai on Monday 24 November
[/quote]
I get why then do it, but I don't like points for no cut events, personally.
[/quote] I agree. The limited field of players with no cuts should'nt be awarded points.
[/quote]

How about awarding PGA Tour win status to team events, and such? 82 wins is the record now.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1417550743' post='10532231']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1417550512' post='10532215']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow
[/quote]

Thank you Kymar. Glad it wasn't just me.
[/quote]

Well i mean my god.

And by the way, has anyone on the "OWGR points for this is absurd" side of the argument said a single personal thing about TW? I think most of not all would agree that our feelings would be no different with anyone serving as host.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1417552093' post='10532361']
Yeah...didn't see this being about TW at all. It could be Robert Goulet for Pete's sake...and I've never golfed with him either.
[/quote]

Who's career died in 1997. Interestingly

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[b]I would have started this thread if it had been Rory's tournament.......[/b]

[/quote]

i see you haven't started won decrying the hypocrisy of nedbank, which has been played since 1981. i did a search and not a single topic on it from anyone. ahhh but since it's tiger's tournament....

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1417553285' post='10532499']
it is amusing to wind up the sycophants and watch them running around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off...all one really needs to know about the importance of this event is to read ZJ's comments
[/quote]

I saw his interview on golf channel this morning. Post a link to the article please.

contact your local Official World Golf Ranking board for their decision in july 2011

[url="http://www.golfmagic.com/news/golf-news/new-world-ranking-points-for-2012/10537.html"][b]New world ranking points for 2012[/b][/url]

13 December 2011

Tiger Woods’ first win in two years raised plenty of consternation at Golfmagic Towers, given he rose 31 places in the world rankings for taking down just 17 players in an unofficial Tour event.

But rules are rules, and we must adhere to them.

The Chevron World Challenge has received world ranking points for three straight years, and part of the deal was that it had to have a qualifying standard, while the two sponsor exemptions had to be among the top 50 in the world. Woods was No.49 at the deadline.

Woods’ swift rise has much to do with only playing 27 times in the last two years, giving him the minimum 40 divisor.

However, from next season the Chevron World Challenge and Nedbank Challenge in South Africa, which Lee Westwood received 38 ranking points for winning, will offer fewer world ranking points.

The Official World Golf Ranking board, at its annual meeting in July, approved a modification for tournaments that have fewer than 30 players. Those events will no longer get the ‘home tour’ rating component - bonus points that depend on how many players from the host tour are in the event.

The ranking of the players at Chevron contributed 215 points, and the home tour allowed for 36 additional points to determine the overall strength of field.

That translates to 44 points for the champion. Without the home tour component, the winner would have received 40 points; so instead of No. 21, Woods would have gone to No. 25.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1417553321' post='10532503']

[/quote]

i see you haven't started won decrying the hypocrisy of nedbank, which has been played since 1981. i did a search and not a single topic on it from anyone. ahhh but since it's tiger's tournament....
[/quote]

Is it also being played this week?

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1417533892' post='10530587']
Ahhh....The Tiger haters are back out in full force i see. Complaining about RR points. This field is stronger than the Australian Masters last week and doesn't give an automatic invite to the British Open. Where was the outrage last week?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This tournament too should have no ranking points..... Was never aware of the points available.... Ignorance is bliss I suppose.....you got me... Feel better?

However.. Your first sentence makes no sense.... Do you mean 'one' instead of 'won'.....I guess?

I seem to recall Jack saying he could basically mark off every player in a field and get the # down to about 10-15 guys he had to actually beat each week. Those fields were 156 man fields as far as i know.

Perhaps someone who has a better memory or knows the actual quote can find it for us. Also, my sincere apologies if i am way off base w/ my recollection of the quote.
[/quote]
I've heard that one too. Albeit, there were CUTS to be made by said players back then, and they were playing for PEANUTS compared to now, so there was a lot of hunger out on tour. Nothing has changed with the top players in a field being able to be identified. But the DESIRE to win by the top players, who are MUCH richer now, I'm not sure you could compare to someone who slept in cars, etc. Those guys were around when Jack played. Not so much now.
And there are all these endorsement contracts. A little insurance for all the sponsors is nice, isn't it? Their main staffers can be in the big events year after year after year. One big corporate happy. Exactly why I hardly watch golf anymore.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1417558055' post='10532951']

[/quote]
I've heard that one too. Albeit, there were CUTS to be made by said players back then, and they were playing for PEANUTS compared to now, so there was a lot of hunger out on tour. Nothing has changed with the top players in a field being able to be identified. But the DESIRE to win by the top players, who are MUCH richer now, I'm not sure you could compare to someone who slept in cars, etc. Those guys were around when Jack played. Not so much now.
And there are all these endorsement contracts. A little insurance for all the sponsors is nice, isn't it? Their main staffers can be in the big events year after year after year. One big corporate happy. Exactly why I hardly watch golf anymore.
[/quote]

Guys who don't play hard in those days left the tour for lack of money, the guys who don't play hard never make it to the tour these days. It's freaking unbelievable how hard it is to get a card these days. Today's nationwide tour or whatever it is called players would have blown the socks off everyone but the top 5 players of the nostalgic generation imo.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't bother Dave- his obsession with both mine and imakavelli's posts is Fatal attraction, bunny in the pot, frightening. I've long ago blocked him so at this point I don't have the slightest idea of how many posts he has but I put it at 75% the number of his posts being responses to ours.

Forget the fact that none have said anything derogatory in reference to TW. I've commented often that these limited field events should hold less weight- I don't care who the "ambassador" is...

I often wondered what a troll is... should I be wondering any longer?