2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

Narrowed it down to the short slant neck / Flow neck blades. Testing underway :D

So first money game in this little experiment and it's all but over. Been playing with the Scottyu Cameron Circa 62 and although I like it I haven't been putting any better. So after messing around I decided to play the Tour issue Odyssey Versa 6 and proceeded take the cash and shoot a -6 (66) in the process. I even left 4 putts dead in the heart about 3" short so I could have gone lower. Hit almost all of my lines and speed was pretty good considering the greens were a little slower due to rain. Can't say I'm not going to test the others but I was 2 off the course record and this was the first time I ever touched the putter. Happy days are here again :D

BTW in the picture is

SC Circa 62 #2,

Tour Issue Odyssey Versa 6

Kingston Kp1 special flow neck custom GSS

Odyssey Protype 6

Just saw that you were testing putters again. Looks like you found a winner with the Versa 6, nice round!!

If you're still going to tinker, have you ever thought of testing putter shafts? I know you love your Nippon shafts in your irons. Check out their putter shafts. They're pretty sweet!

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

• 3 weeks later...

New/old toy created from misfit toys in my workshop. 39.5" with 6g of melt in the head, tipped 2.5", D4. For some reason this thing is working really well so much so that the 815 hybrid is taking a vacation. 1b9396442de868628655ee85cea149a9.jpg72f9be9a33f6cbdff01392f6fc658748.jpg4bc7f51295be10c78d17cbf5d2914b43.jpgb349d6ce78702444ce0efe0cbeddfa77.jpg

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

A classic shaft there. I'd assume this is a flatter line than hybrid? You hitting this into greens?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I play the same 2i but with a steel shaft, very solid club and much more consestiant than a hybrid.

We need to work on your shoe game next ?

I've always tried driving irons with steel shafts and wasn't a fan but this setup is working well. BTW the new UDI looks filthy. It's honestly my favorite club in the bag at the moment. As for the shoe game these are my beat up adidas. Sloppy conditions don't get the fresh butters ;)

A classic shaft there. I'd assume this is a flatter line than hybrid? You hitting this into greens?

For one it's bendable and two yes. I am hitting this into greens but mostly off the tee. I can hit so many different shots with this club it's scary. I'm not saying I'm tiger woods hitting the 9 Windows but compared to a hybrid it's not even close.

Was just thinking. This thread has been quiet. Tinker tinker! ;)

Been busy brotha, you know why ;)

Driving iron goals right there!

Yes sir.

Edel PROTO

• 1 month later...

Crazy summer continues but im' managing to get in some more testing. Most recently has been the TM 790. My club got a demo 7 iron so I decided to try it on the range and course to see how it stacks up against PXG's and my Srixon 745's. This isn't an in depth review just some thoughts based on 9 holes and some range time.

790's

Feel- good but not forged or Pxg good. Overall though they feel solid.

Sound- fine no issues

Spin- on the lower side but manageable due to peak height.

Distance- center is same as 745, off center 790's by about 5 yds which is pretty awesome not going to lie.

Forgiveness - 790's are really good

Looks- I give them 4 out of 5 stars, top line a smidge thicker then I like but nothing crazy

Overall the 790's are a great offering by TM in fact I think the best offering in a long time. I could easily play these with my only concern being the short irons not spinning enough.

Edel PROTO

Thanks for the quick run down.

I saw the 790's a few days ago and was surprised by the shape and size. I figured from the pics that they'd be bulkier, not a bad look from address at all.

What shaft were you using?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Thanks for the quick run down.

I saw the 790's a few days ago and was surprised by the shape and size. I figured from the pics that they'd be bulkier, not a bad look from address at all.

What shaft were you using?

They have a good profile and TM did the smart thing by not adding in a ton of offset. They are consistent with a player type iron which automatically makes them more playable. I found distance to be very consistent for the 9 holes I played (I dropped 2 balls at 180 on each hole). WHen I miss with my Srixon's I normally lost around 5-6yds but with the 790's I lost next to nothing.

Edel PROTO

Hi j13, I'm interested in your Hot Melt Technique. Can you advise and show some pics of your work? How to quieten in the best way a driver head? I changed to M2 2017. It's a very good driver but much louder then 2016 version.

Best way to quite down a head with minimal weight is by adding it to the crown, 2-3g's makes a difference.

Edel PROTO

Hi j13, I'm interested in your Hot Melt Technique. Can you advise and show some pics of your work? How to quieten in the best way a driver head? I changed to M2 2017. It's a very good driver but much louder then 2016 version.

Best way to quite down a head with minimal weight is by adding it to the crown, 2-3g's makes a difference.

But how the hot melt is fixed when adding to the crown?

Not sure I understand the question. You should apply it to the crown.

Edel PROTO

It's liquid when hot and sticks/hardens when it cools off

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

And don't mistake anything for Hotmelt other then REAL Hotmelt. Big big big big difference.

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

And don't mistake anything for Hotmelt other then REAL Hotmelt. Big big big big difference.

Do people still use cotton (or was it even a worth adding to the head to deaden sound).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

You can but cotton is not ideal. Sound is weird and you have no control over where in the head it goes. Plus depending on how much weight is needed you could be using a ton of cotton which will destroy the feel of the head

Edel PROTO

So...........testing the G400 LST

Edel PROTO

How do the 790s compare in size with the 765s?

Do you have any comparison photos by chance?

Edit - Looking forward to your thoughts on the G400. Nice looking driver.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

How do the 790s compare in size with the 765s?

Do you have any comparison photos by chance?

Edit - Looking forward to your thoughts on the G400. Nice looking driver.

790's are similar in size and offset but 790's have a thicker topline and sole. 765's feel better though while the 790's are much more forgiving. No comparison pics as I don't have the 765's.

Really like mine so far. Not any longer but the G was already on par with everything for me, I know others had some issues with it. Sounds and feels awesome.

Yeah so far I like it although I only have 9 holes and a practice session in. Have a prototype Agera in it right now which is a slightly softer version then the ION. Not sure I like it as much as the ION version but we'll see. I don't want to give a rundown of my thoughts just yet as I need some more time to dial in a shaft and settings. So far though i'm impressed and I LOVE the look of the head. Probably the best looking head on the market IMO. Sound and feel is ok for me but it's hard as my driver is the Epic SZ which is pure perfection. I"ll be hotmelting the G400LST to quite it down a little but first I need to dial in some settings and shaft.

So far I can comment on the following:

Looks - G400 LST wins

Sound/Feel - Epic SZ without a doubt

Edel PROTO

Loving that thing...

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Oh, sorry. I meant 745s.

Ah gotcha. 790’s are a lot bigger all the way around then the 745’s. Think ap2’s compared to Ap1’s size wise. Feel of the 745’s if soft forged while the 790’s is a little harsh to be honest. Forgiveness wise the 790’s are really good

Edel PROTO

Rain..Rain..Rain :nono:

I was hoping to get out this week but it's been nothing but rain since Sunday. Anyway despite the weather I managed to get in some practice and dial in the driver so not a total loss. I have the same shaft (Ion Xphlexxx Agera) in the G400 LST as the Epic SZ and at the same length. Sound wise the hotmelt did the trick and the head sounds MUCH MUCH better. I might also throw the Taylormade M2 in the mix with Agera to have all 3 battle, why not right? :pimp: :pimp:

Also have 2 things on the way to throw into the mix..stay tuned :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Edel PROTO

I was hoping to get out this week but it's been nothing but rain since Sunday. Anyway despite the weather I managed to get in some practice and dial in the driver so not a total loss. I have the same shaft (Ion Xphlexxx Agera) in the G400 LST as the Epic SZ and at the same length. Sound wise the hotmelt did the trick and the head sounds MUCH MUCH better. I might also throw the Taylormade M2 in the mix with Agera to have all 3 battle, why not right? :pimp: :pimp:

Also have 2 things on the way to throw into the mix..stay tuned :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Ping head ordered through ping wrx/ ordered spec?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Yes and had it measured and loft is 8.7* N

Edel PROTO

Yes and had it measured and loft is 8.7* N

Very cool

Do they do lie angle also?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM