J13's - WITB - ARM LOCK update

I will say i'm not the best 1 putt player but I pride myself on rarely 3 putting.  I might have a 3 putt every 2-3 rounds.  I practice a lot on speed to avoid this very thing.

It sounds like at a bare minimum you have excellent speed control.  Though I suspect you must be a very good short putter as well.  What do you think holds you back from having more 1-putts?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BALL TEST WINNER:       In the end, both the Bridgestone Tour B X and Taylormade TP5X are great balls.  The Tour BX is a little better in the durability department but the TP5X is a lit

The winner of my 2020 driver testing is....   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* (playing 9*) 44.75" Tensei Orange 70TX (tipped 1/2")     It's not only forgiving but one of the longest setups I've tested. C

3 wood winner is ... Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 w/ Tensei Orange 80tx.   Quick rundown: Trajectory off the deck - Mid Traj off tee - Mid/high Spin - Low (hovering in low 3000s for me off the tee F

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, FAbb said:

It sounds like at a bare minimum you have excellent speed control.  Though I suspect you must be a very good short putter as well.  What do you think holds you back from having more 1-putts?

Speed control is a strength for sure (don't have many comeback putts over 3ft).  Overall I tend to push putts due to a path that's in to out and my approach shots aren't as good as I'd like which further reduces the chance of a 1 putt.  Again for my hcp (+1) i'm an average putter.  I've found the lower my hcp gets the harder it is for big improvement or big jumps.  My hope with Arm Lock is that it can shave 1-2 more putts per round which would be huge.  I will say if it solves 1 problem but creates another I'll just scrap the experiment.  If I make more putts it will stay.  And the only way to know is get it on course, especially with some cash on the line.

• Like 1

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Good stuff.  That kind of validation is how I can trust what I read here more than any hot list/most wanted, etc.  It's got to be better than what you already have when it really matters.

I'm not as low as you.  I dipped below scratch this year after a run of good rounds, but have rebounded back above the demarcation line based on a prolonged run of not so good rounds throughout the fall lol.  If you can save 1-2 putts a round, that would be incredible.  I find myself fighting and clawing to look for ways to shave a tenth of a shot.

47 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Good stuff.  That kind of validation is how I can trust what I read here more than any hot list/most wanted, etc.  It's got to be better than what you already have when it really matters.

I'm not as low as you.  I dipped below scratch this year after a run of good rounds, but have rebounded back above the demarcation line based on a prolonged run of not so good rounds throughout the fall lol.  If you can save 1-2 putts a round, that would be incredible.  I find myself fighting and clawing to look for ways to shave a tenth of a shot.

I'm with ya.  I find far more value here by reading reviews than i do from the hotlist or any golf mag.   My hcp goes up and down as well depending on time of year.  Usually the first month or so it goes up as i'm getting the rust off.  Time will tell if i find a few strokes, so far i'm not sold or selling😉

Morning everyone

I woke up to a bunch of pm's about the putter.  Rather than respond to each one I will update the thread with those answers and also have a big update this week.  Thanks for the holiday I'll be getting in two rounds. 

Those that pm'd me about the swag, the hats are great, sweat liner in them and all.  The shirts run a little small so get a size up if your ordering.

Played 9 today and playing again Saturday.  Update at the end of the week

To all those who wished me Happy Thanksgiving via pm I want to say the same to you and your family.  Hope everyone out there enjoys the holiday and stays safe.  

Update:

Got 2 rounds in last week, 1 being a money game so I had some pressure to deal with. 

Round 1: Shot 75 (+3)

Had 36 putts on the day consisting of:   (14) 2 putts, (2) 3 putts, (2) 1 putts.  

Round 2 (money game) : Shot 71 (-1)

Consisting of 30 putts: (12) 2 putts, (6) 1 putts

What happened: Round 1 I was still struggling with distance and left myself with a lot of work on comeback putts.  Ended up missing 2 comeback putts hence the 3 putts.  Again i hate 3 putting so at this point I was ready to toss the arm anchor in the dumpster.  I was also struggling a bit with ball position so overall it was a $**T show.

Round 2: Money game - After round 1 earlier in the week I was very close to leaving the arm lock putter at home.  Last thing I wanted to do was get thumped on the course and lose cash but decided it had to be done to really see what the putter was made of.  The 2 days leading up to the weekend match I practiced for a few hours on just putting.  I found my optimal ball position and grip and also worked on keeping the grip of the putter on my left forearm on my follow through.  Anyway i found a groove but was still nervous.  Needless to say the day went better than i expected and didn't have any 3 putts.  I had a few good 1 putts for birdie and made some nice comeback putts from around 4ft.  Have to be honest the putts that make me the most nervous with the arm lock is the putts inside 5ft and outside of 30ft.  Lag putting is a challenge but noticeably better, the short putts force you to commit to your line and just let the putter do the work.  I tend to be handsy and a feel player so it's hard for me.

Overall the experiment is moving in the right direction.  I'm getting more comfortable with the setup and speed on lag putts.  One thing to note is I'm rolling about 50-75 putts at home per day.  My focus at the moment is to just get comfortable and confident in my setup.  I feel like i'm getting past having to think so much just to address the ball which is great.  

On we go...

• Like 1