J13's - WITB- Edel PUTTER REVIEW POSTED **** page 127 with pics

J13

Posted (edited)

Update: Putter review is just about complete and will be posted next week.  It's longer than my usual review and took some time so I hope you all enjoy!

On a side note: I hit the Callaway Rogue Max LS outside and it's a great offering.  Sound and feel is improved from the Epic Speed LS and I like the matte finish a lot.  Shape is the same to my eye as the Speed LS as well.  Also hearing good things in regards to the Stealth and Cobra driver so I look forward to hitting everything over the next few months.

Edited by J13

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel EAS 4.0

Edel EAS 4.0 Putter review:

First things first, the fitting process. The review is a little longer than normal due to how much goes into an Edel putter fitting but I did my best to trim it as much as possible.

Fitting:

Like my fitting for the SMS wedges, the EAS putter fitting took place at Edel HQ. And since I was learning the process myself at the time, I went through the fitting with multiple people at studio so I could better absorb the info.  Keep in mind up until this point I had only been through SAM putt lab fittings, so this was all new to me.   

Without going deep down the rabbit hole, the Edel fitting system focuses on 1 simple idea and that’s to match perception to reality in terms of both aim and speed. 

Putter AIM:

I, like many, assumed I could aim my current putter.  I was using a flow neck blade that I liked the look of and played for the past 6 years.  So when it came to testing my aim, I was confident I was in good shape.  Well fast forward a few minutes and the laser showed me that even though I thought I was aiming dead center of the hole, I was actually 2” left of the left edge. This both terrified and excited me.

David Edel (who did one of my fittings) explained this was very common regardless of hcp level (including pga tour winners he’s fit) and how overall putter shape effects our perception of aim.  It was a lot to take in, but my aim test confirmed everything he said.  I won’t dive too much deeper than that otherwise this review could turn into 3 pages.  Anyway, once he saw my aim, he knew what direction to go so we tried a few other shapes ultimately zeroing in on the EAS 4.0.  When I did the laser test it was shocking at how much better my aim was by only changing putter shape.  My aim moved from 2” left of the hole to now inside right edge!

Now that we found the shape that worked best for me, the alignment lines were next.  If shape is the big mover of aim, think of alignment lines of being more about refinement of aim.  Like shape, alignment lines can move aim both left and right.  Fast forward to the end of the alignment portion and I ended up into a combination that 1. I would have never picked out for myself, and 2. I would have never been able to find off the shelf.  You can see in the pics what I ended up with.  This combination ultimately moved my aim from inside right edge to inside right center.  At this point I wanted to take the putter and immediately get on a golf course to shatter whatever course record existed (#*&#&*#&*#&*#*&).  But he wasn’t done yet.

Hosel:

Edel has 3 different hosels to fit players, forward offset (think double bend), No offset, and Back set.  Each hosel can be used to move aim and loft which is really important to getting a good roll on the ball as well as improve path.  Again, fast forward to the end and I fit into the back set hosel at 72* lie angle.  Hosel is another refiner of aim and now my aim was DEAD CENTER of CENTER and it brought my loft at address down which immediately told him my hands were in a better position.  At this point in my mind I was now the odds on favorite to win the 2022 Masters 🤣

Putter Speed:

With my aim fixed it was time to address speed control.  As we all know, aim doesn’t do you much good if you don’t have the speed to match.  He dropped 1 ball and had me hit to a string about 10ft away.  I asked why not a cup and he said because the focus is solely on speed not making a putt. I also asked why I only get 1 ball/try to which he replied, “how many putts do you get on the golf course?”  Touché. David went onto say that most people go to a golf shop and grab a putter off the wall and roll putt after putt.  He said, “anyone can grab any putter and eventually figure out speed after hitting 15 or so putts but when it doesn’t translate to the course, they can’t figure out why”.  I had to admit I did this on many lunch break visits to the local golf galaxy (*#*#*%*%*$) Guilty! 

I quickly learned that static weight matters but not nearly as much as where the weight is in the club.  It was amazing how different the putter felt when he shifted weight up and down. The static weight remained the same, but the putter felt completely different. Edel putters have 4 distinct area’s where weight can be manipulated, the sole weight, moveable weight inside the shaft, counter weight, and grip weight.

We started with my putter from 10ft to which I rolled the ball a 3ft past the target/string line.  Once he saw that he then started to put weights in the EAS 4.0 as a starting point.  With each putt he adjusted things(remember 1 putt only).  After about 10 min he dialed the weight in to where I was rolling the ball right on the string without hesitating.  Once he thought I was dialed in he gave me 3 more putts and sure enough the speed was consistent every time and just past the string. 

The overall weight of the putter was very different from my current setup.  It was much heavier, statically speaking, but the flow of the putter was so much easier to swing.  We ended up with a 50g weight 3” down inside the shaft and a 105g grip with 10g sole weight (headweight 350g).  Feel is subjective so the best way I can describe it was it allowed my brain to go on auto pilot and the putter now felt balanced in my hands. 

Quick Rundown

Looks – The 4.0 is clean and the perfect size for the style of head. Look is very premium, can’t say enough about it. Obviously look is subject but it’s legit. 

Feel- quality contact has a soft but responsive feel.  Feel is similar to a Scotty Mallet or similar. If you strike one closer to toe it can have a little “ting” to it due to the design and hollowed out toe section to create the toe up balance.  I don’t hit many putts here but just something to note.

Dispersion – 94% of the direction the ball rolls is based on aim. My aim is now DIALED and more importantly I TRUST IT.

Speed – speed is dialed and after multiple rounds I can easily say it’s the most balanced putter I’ve ever owned.  So much so that multiple playing partners have made comments and now want me to fit them.  I told them all I’m happy to in the spring but first I’m gonna take some of their money for a few months 😎

In Conclusion:

After 10 rounds with this putter I’ve tied my career low round of 65 once and tied my career low 9 hole score of -5 (31) 2 times.  I don’t keep stats so my apologies, but I can say without a doubt I have improved in all area’s of putting.  The one thing I’m still working on is whether or not to use the line on the ball. I usually use the line but now that aim is fixed, I actually find I putt better without it for anything outside of 5-6ft. From inside that range its almost like a safety blanket. In conclusion, I don’t expect to make every putt but it’s nice to know I’ve eliminated as many variables as possible to allow me to be a more consistent putter.  There’s a good podcast with David Edel and Heath Slocum discussing his fittings on the Edel podcast, worth giving a listen to.

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edel EAS 4.0

• J13 changed the title to J13's - WITB- Edel PUTTER REVIEW POSTED **** page 127 with pics

I have the EAS in my Edel cart along with two of his wedges.  I gotta stop checking out this thread!  

• Like 1

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy Blue 50)

3&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy Blue 50)

3&4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-9, PW & GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110 R-flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

The putter looks really good bro. It sounds to me though that 99% of the benefit is in the fitting, and it sounds like you had a REALLY good fitting. I can't see just blindly ordering one off the website without being fit after what you wrote. I looked and the closest fitter to me is a Golftec about 2.5 hours away...do you have any insight on the "BIG BOX" fitters vs. the in-house company fitting you received?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m3fuz said:

I have the EAS in my Edel cart along with two of his wedges.  I gotta stop checking out this thread!  

If you're on golfwrx then you know it's impossible to not look at shiny toys 😉  I already have my eye on several drivers for 2022 to test and Im hitting my current setup great.  It's a sickness 🤣

6 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

@J13 me next!

Yes sir, you just let me know when your in town brotha.

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0

56 minutes ago, coreyl said:

The putter looks really good bro. It sounds to me though that 99% of the benefit is in the fitting, and it sounds like you had a REALLY good fitting. I can't see just blindly ordering one off the website without being fit after what you wrote. I looked and the closest fitter to me is a Golftec about 2.5 hours away...do you have any insight on the "BIG BOX" fitters vs. the in-house company fitting you received?

Great question. Getting fit is optimal for every club in the bag, putter included.  We would love everyone to be fit into the club, just like any manufacturer, but we also realize that not every player wants to do that. We have a lot of people order off the website or grab one off the shelves in a shop and get weight kits to fit themselves and obviously that's their prerogative.  In a nutshell, it's not our job to tell people what to do or how to do it.   We just supply the good stuff and make our recommendations and hope people enjoy the experience and products 😎

Golftec - They have our full fitting carts and would be a great place to get fit.  In house fittings are going to be great for obvious reasons but GolfTec has a very robust training program for all locations (honestly impressive how they go about it) so you would be in good hands.  Feel free to pm me as well as we are constantly adding more local and regional shops that might be more convenient to you. 

Edel EAS 4.0

Small update: Thanks for all the questions via pm, i'll share the answers for everyone's knowledge

1. Grip - I went with standard round grip to give it a try.  Tested with it (makes sense with the system) so said why not.  Edel also has stock paddle grips and obviously other options like any oem.

2. Fitting takes about 45 min.  Depending on the fitter it could take a little longer or shorter.

3. EAS putters are not being replaced anytime soon but other options might pop up in the future 😉

Edel EAS 4.0