J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

3 hours ago, J13 said:

SIM 2 Max is a good stick but seems a little more draw bias than SIM Max.  One thing i wish TM did was make the drivers flatter in lie angle or at least the ability to make it flatter.

Sounds like I might be opting for the g425 max or LST. If it ain't broke........

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

2 hours ago, collje26 said:

Sounds like I might be opting for the g425 max or LST. If it ain't broke........

haha maybe.  I will say when i put my shaft in at 45" the lie angle is better but still not where I want it.  With that said if the SIM2 performs better the lie angle wouldn't prevent me from putting it in the bag.  There are ways around that 😎

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

20 hours ago, J13 said:

As of now I don't have any plans for a shootout style testing.  Because I prefer testing on course, it's hard to test more than 2-3 heads at a time.  You can only stand on a tee box swapping shafts and settings for so long before groups catch up to you haha.  The G400LST was a great stick but I've seen the opposite.  The 410LST was more stable for me and seemed to spin a shade more.  Also remember you can always swap a lighter rear weight to bring swing weight down. I usually do that with all of my Ping heads so I can add melt and get my desired swing weight.  I haven't gotten the TSI3 driver on course yet but look forward to it.

I didn't think to go look up the head weights until now. 

Titleist doesn't post head weight specs that I could find, but it seems like the TS series were stock in the 195'ish gram range.  Have you done any in your shop that you can confirm? 

The 410 LST stock weight is 208g according to PING.  The head I purchased apparently had 3g of melt added, pushing it up over 210g.  I'd have to take the sliding weight out altogether, just to get it down to 200g. 

Of course, the 400 LST has the same stated stock weight at 208g, and I never felt like it was overly heavy, so who knows what's wrong with me lol.

Good luck with the current round of testing.  The weather stinks right now, but hopefully we'll be back on the course before too long.

1 hour ago, FAbb said:

Titleist doesn't post head weight specs that I could find, but it seems like the TS series were stock in the 195'ish gram range.  Have you done any in your shop that you can confirm? 

The 410 LST stock weight is 208g according to PING.  The head I purchased apparently had 3g of melt added, pushing it up over 210g.  I'd have to take the sliding weight out altogether, just to get it down to 200g. 

Of course, the 400 LST has the same stated stock weight at 208g, and I never felt like it was overly heavy, so who knows what's wrong with me lol.

Good luck with the current round of testing.  The weather stinks right now, but hopefully we'll be back on the course before too long.

I haven't done TSi driver heads only fairway woods.  The other thing you have to be careful of with Ping is what rear weight is installed.  If it was a custom order they use different weights to keep swing weight in check.  

With that said I wish OEM's did the following:

1. Kept the same style weights for each release

2. Made those weights widely accessible in golf stores/shops

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 1/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, J13 said:

Not sure but a good question

agree.  The heads are crazy upright already, I can't imagine anyone going more upright.  I'm not NBA tall but i'm 6'2 and they are too upright for me in a stock setup. 

Of note , Rory 59.5* and others dj , per wrx witb .   Also if you look at the photos of the sleeve settings , esp fairway woods , higher lie angle setting being used.   (Also see tour truck Tuesday spec sheets )

myself, I  do not care for upright sticks also

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

1 hour ago, Viper4225 said:

@J13 did you try the sim 2 fairway woods too??

Yes I had them on course as well but didn't have a chance to really mess with them yet.  Since i test on course mostly i can only do so much at a time.  Next week i'll have a run down of the SIM2 fairways.  First impression is good though, sim2 max looks large than sim max and Sim2 Ti lost some cc's from SIM Ti.  

Edel PROTO

2 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

Of note , Rory 59.5* and others dj , per wrx witb .   Also if you look at the photos of the sleeve settings , esp fairway woods , higher lie angle setting being used.   (Also see tour truck Tuesday spec sheets )

myself, I  do not care for upright sticks also

In stock form the SIM 2 and SIM2 max look like they are 65*.  The toe is way in the air and would be unplayable for me.  I get what specs say but we all know how that goes in terms of tolerances.  I get more upright is better for most people to help with the right miss/ slice but I had the pro's in the shop look at them and they all said the same thing in terms of lie angle.  2 of them are TM staffers.  When you stick in a shaft and have the driver at 45" it's better.

Edel PROTO

6 minutes ago, J13 said:

In stock form the SIM 2 and SIM2 max look like they are 65*.  The toe is way in the air and would be unplayable for me.  I get what specs say but we all know how that goes in terms of tolerances.  I get more upright is better for most people to help with the right miss/ slice but I had the pro's in the shop look at them and they all said the same thing in terms of lie angle.  2 of them are TM staffers.  When you stick in a shaft and have the driver at 45" it's better.

Manufacturing tolerance whole other issue of they had a batch or lot that’s Beaucoup up right 

I love , love TMAG , but had gone to titleist for this reason myself.   Additionally Dual axis adjustment 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

2 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

Manufacturing tolerance whole other issue of they had a batch or lot that’s Beaucoup up right 

I love , love TMAG , but had gone to titleist for this reason myself.   Additionally Dual axis adjustment 

Yeah Titleist tsi line is great. Dual axis adjustment is ideal.  I also love the simplicity of the ping adaptor 

Edel PROTO

Update:

So tested some this week and here's my 2cent SIM2 rundown:

SIM2 Max - It was just ok for me.  Launch was fine, seemed a little "spinnier" than SIM Max and for some reason more draw bias.  If I had to buy the SIM Max or SIM2 Max, I'd buy the SIM Max.

SIM2 - Noticeable improvement compared to SIM.  It's much more player friendly off the shelf as they shifted more weight to that back which is how tour guys set up the SIM anyway.  It was noticeably more forgiving compared to SIM as a result.  Overall it's the winner of the bunch and is still plenty low spin.  For me, the SIM2 was on average 10yds longer than the SIM2 Max and just as forgiving. This one stays in the mix for possible 2021 bag.

How my Ping G410LST stacks up:

My 410LST has been phenomenal and will be tough to beat.  I hit shots with the LST, SIM2, and SIM2 Max side by side on multiple holes and when it was all said and done the LST beats the Max fairly easily.  Forgiveness wise both were similar but distance and dispersion was king with the Ping.  LST vs SIM2 was a much better match.  The SIM2 was a little longer pound for pound and close to being just as accurate.  As i said above, this one will be in the final group for the 2021 bag.

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

On 1/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, FAbb said:

My stock weight TSi3 is ~194g 

A2A62454-8F72-4AFE-B6F6-450622407E72.jpeg

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

So about 200g with the adapter.  TSI3 is a good stick and certainly in the running for me

Edel PROTO

Moving on:

SIM2 Ti against my Titleist TSi2 

So who wins?

A8E1AB42-8595-4C14-ADE9-752A5ADF5994.jpeg

F35DCA14-B3E4-43B4-B740-196C87E61720.jpeg

• Like 3

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's - WITB- SIM 2.0 Ti 3 wood testing begins
21 minutes ago, nitram said:

Looks like a decent day in MD.

I wish.  Pics are from a few days ago before getting hit with some snow.  It's supposed to rain later this week so i'm hoping it washes a lot of it away and I can at least hit the range for some practice.  I hate cold weather 🥶

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

TSi2 wins because it launches higher without too much spin.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

TSi2 wins because it launches higher without too much spin.

Tsi2 is a performer for sure.  The SIM2 Ti shape is better than last year and I like that it's a little smaller.  It feels like you can work the ball with it which is something i've started doing a lot more of in the last year.  In any case I hope the snow melts quickly otherwise it might be a minute before i can figure this out lol.

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Tsi2 is a performer for sure.  The SIM2 Ti shape is better than last year and I like that it's a little smaller.  It feels like you can work the ball with it which is something i've started doing a lot more of in the last year.  In any case I hope the snow melts quickly otherwise it might be a minute before i can figure this out lol.

I’m the odd ball here , love the tsi3 3w, debating 5w tsi 2 or 3

0E73C0EA-F0EE-4CBF-85F9-5F6C26ABA100.jpeg

Edited by drbonesvt

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

15 hours ago, J13 said:

Moving on:

SIM2 Ti against my Titleist TSi2 

So who wins?

A8E1AB42-8595-4C14-ADE9-752A5ADF5994.jpeg

F35DCA14-B3E4-43B4-B740-196C87E61720.jpeg

Now this is one I’m looking forward to.  The shape of the Sim2 looks much better than last years and smaller footprint is also appealing.  The larger Sim was trouble for me off the deck.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

13 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

I’m the odd ball here , love the tsi3 3w, debating 5w tsi 2 or 3

IMG_2508.MOV 10.11 MB · 0 downloads

0E73C0EA-F0EE-4CBF-85F9-5F6C26ABA100.jpeg

I'm digging the shaft.  It's nice to see a few companies making heavy .335 stuff again, especially with 5 woods regaining popularity.

Edel PROTO

3 hours ago, FAbb said:

I think it's going to depend on the balance of tee vs. turf usage.  If you're off the deck more, TSi2.  TM, if it's more tee use.

You aren't wrong.  My game has changed in the last year and i'm hitting more shots off the deck and shaping them more.  Thanks to a lesson with @MonteScheinblum I am controlling the golf ball much more and able to work it both ways.  The TSI2 has been a great all around 3 wood but i'm not 100% happy which leaves room for tinkering 😎

7 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Now this is one I’m looking forward to.  The shape of the Sim2 looks much better than last years and smaller footprint is also appealing.  The larger Sim was trouble for me off the deck.  

It does.  I had the SIM Ti for a little while and it was a cannon off the tee but terrible for me off the deck.  I tend to get under plane and come too much from in to out which can make some fairway woods hard to get in the air.  I'm getting better at hitting a high cut so i'm looking forward to seeing if SIM2Ti works.  I'd love to take advantage of the distance.

Edel PROTO

Are you stopping at these two for the year?  I am biased towards ping for a few reasons over the others but do also like the tsi2 and sim.  We know tsi2 is a winner.  I think a man with your talents and shop can dial in the 425 to do exactly what you want it to do.  I have been able to with my pings.  Nothing is left to wanting with the correct bias weighting, swingweight, and the best sleeve options for lie out there...food for thought.  still always eyeballing these...looking forward to it.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

1 hour ago, Deuce78 said:

Are you stopping at these two for the year?  I am biased towards ping for a few reasons over the others but do also like the tsi2 and sim.  We know tsi2 is a winner.  I think a man with your talents and shop can dial in the 425 to do exactly what you want it to do.  I have been able to with my pings.  Nothing is left to wanting with the correct bias weighting, swingweight, and the best sleeve options for lie out there...food for thought.  still always eyeballing these...looking forward to it.

I don't understand this word "stop" 😉

Ping fairway woods have always been spinny for me but as I said above, my swing has changed and now i'm relooking at everything.  Ping will have it's shot eventually, especially seeing the positive reviews from people like yourself and YouTube testing.  After this review I have 3-4 things already lined up for more testing 😎  The big challenge this year will be inventory and getting a hold of things outdoors.  My hope is to wrap up testing the SIM2 TI in the next 2 weeks (weather dependent) then onto the next test which i'm really looking forward to.  

Edited by J13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Edel PROTO

I got 1 round in with the SIM2 fairway woods and the weather isn't looking stellar so i'm just going to drop the a quick review and maybe come back to it in March.  I have some other toys on the way so I want to keep it moving.

As always (at this stage) i'm going to keep it short and sweet

SIM2 Max - Very large footprint and forgiving off the tee. If you primarily use 3 wood for the tee and want some extra forgiveness this is a great stick. 

Sound/feel - Good, no complaints

Distance - Fairly long, it's a TM 3 wood so they don't make short stuff.

Off the tee - This is it's strength, large and forgiving

Off the deck - I found it difficult to hit consistently due to it's size/shape

Verdict - Not for me👎

SIM2 Ti - Smaller footprint than SIM Ti (which i had).  I like the upgrade and slightly straighter lines and face

Sound/Feel - Good, solid

Distance - Rocket ship

Off the tee - Rocket Ship

Off the deck - fairly easy to elevate and still goes a long way.  I love the V Steel design

Verdict - I like it and will be in the running 👍 

Curious if others have hit these and saw the same thing?

Edited by J13
  • Like 1

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's - WITB- SIM 2.0 Fairway woods rundown

Up Next

Ping G425 Max 

This test is complete and I will give a rundown later today or tomorrow. 

061AAC76-4537-4F85-BB3A-BB756580A267.jpeg

73DBD958-CFF4-4AA3-9896-C462D6376CA1.jpeg

C76CEA7C-DE76-4211-AA76-3EAA3E5E9C6D.jpeg

74401A00-EAA3-421B-8E9E-C3B69B999649.jpeg

321281DA-2706-4655-B1ED-4F6EF151835B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's - WITB- Ping G425 Max Up NEXT/ Review

Ping G425 Max (vs my Ping G410LST) - Both tested with Fuji Ventus Black 7X

Pics below show what i saw on course in the real world.  Below is my "ADHD" review

Feel/Sound: G425 Max is loud and very simliar to the Cobra L4V.  Think softball bat.  Outside it's much better than indoors and with melt it's perfectly fine if you like the more muted sound

Distance: Avg distance was great with the MAX but it wasn't keeping up with my 410LST.  It's not short but it's not going to be a rocket launcher either.  SIM is heavy on distance, Ping Max is heavy on forgiveness

Accuracy: I hit it well but I found it harder to shape shots so accuracy suffered a bit to be honest.  Made swing changes and I shape shots a lot more now.  Smaller head makes it easier for me.

Final Thoughts:

Ping knocked it out of the park with a max forgiveness / lowish/mid spin profile.  They took the G400 max and made improvements across the board. The only area it’s not as good is sound and feel. I think Ping has a big winner on their hands and I especially like other companies following their lead of super forgiving with playable spin, even for players with speed.  With that said this won’t be for me. As I said above, I enjoy working the ball and found it almost impossible to hit a fade. The ball just wants to go straight or go left for me unless I pushed the weight to the toe but then ball speed suffered.  Anyway for a lot of people it’s going to be hard to pass on this one.

But back to testing to find my 2021 stick.

The pics below tell the tale better than words. Plus it's less reading 😉

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8847.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

Edited by J13
  • Like 3

Edel PROTO