The Boom Bapp

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1241883203' post='1685892']
The timings on my original post are correct. You can do the math. For those who may be sceptical, here it is for you. Novasel was viewing video at 30 frames per sec. That means each frame is 1/30 sec or 0.0333333333...

For each swing ratio, multiply the number of frames by 1/30 sec.

21/7 = 28 frames = 28/30 sec = 0.93 sec from beginning of the swing to impact. Divide 60 sec/minute by 0.93 sec/beat and you get 64.3 beats per minute. That equates to one beat at the start of the swing and one beat at impact. Since the whole point of the Tour Tempo system is to try and feel the 3:1 ratio, I subdivide the BPM into three parts and get 64.3 X 3 = 192.9, rounded off is 193 BPM, feeling the rythem of 1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc. with the beginning of the swing and impact always occurring on each beat 1. Count 1-2-3 over and over and think of the swing like the pendulum of a clock where it passes the bottom of the swing arc at beat 1 each time.

The rest of the tempos are as follows:

24/8 = 32/30 = 1.07; 60/1.07 = 56.3; 56.3 X 3 = 168.8 or 169.
27/9 = 36/30 = 1.2; 60/1.2 = 50; 50 X 3 = 150.
30/10 = 40/30 = 1.33; 60/1.33 = 45; 45 X 3 = 115.

I don't mean to be a pain about this, but as an engineer and a former professional musician, I have an understanding of both the tempo aspect associated with using a metronome and the mathimatical background to know that the above formulas are correct.

Also, if you're still not convinced, check out page 25 in the book, where Novosel gives the elapsed times for the different swing tempos as 0.93 sec (21/7), 1.06 sec (24/8) and 1.2 sec (27/9). The only difference between our numbers is due to rounding error on the 24/8 tempo (he uses 0.33 sec/frame instead of 0.333333...).

These tempo markings will feel quite fast when compared to the CD or MP3 downloads that come with the book. Again, that is because he inserts 0.2 sec between the first and second beat to account for human reaction time. That is why he emphasizes that one is not to anticipate the tone, but instead, one must wait until they hear the tone and then react to it.

Being a trained musician, I prefer to get the feel of the tempo and then match my movements to the beat, just as if I were practicing a piece of music. This way, I can slow the tempo down to a comfortable pace, one where I can achieve success, and then gradually move the tempo up while maintaining the success rate. This may or may not help you, but I find it helps me enough that I wanted to share it with others.
[/quote]
Happyroman Thank you, you have been the only one that I can tell that not only understands the Tour tempo candance but you can explain it as well.
I have not purchased the book, but have been gathering some info. I've used a metronome for years for putting but have never used it for the full swing. Now that I have a better understanding I'm looking forward to working on consistant tempo throughout the round.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='sweetswingin' timestamp='1347242562' post='5614489']
[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1241883203' post='1685892']
The timings on my original post are correct. You can do the math. For those who may be sceptical, here it is for you. Novasel was viewing video at 30 frames per sec. That means each frame is 1/30 sec or 0.0333333333...

For each swing ratio, multiply the number of frames by 1/30 sec.

21/7 = 28 frames = 28/30 sec = 0.93 sec from beginning of the swing to impact. Divide 60 sec/minute by 0.93 sec/beat and you get 64.3 beats per minute. That equates to one beat at the start of the swing and one beat at impact. Since the whole point of the Tour Tempo system is to try and feel the 3:1 ratio, I subdivide the BPM into three parts and get 64.3 X 3 = 192.9, rounded off is 193 BPM, feeling the rythem of 1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc. with the beginning of the swing and impact always occurring on each beat 1. Count 1-2-3 over and over and think of the swing like the pendulum of a clock where it passes the bottom of the swing arc at beat 1 each time.

The rest of the tempos are as follows:

24/8 = 32/30 = 1.07; 60/1.07 = 56.3; 56.3 X 3 = 168.8 or 169.
27/9 = 36/30 = 1.2; 60/1.2 = 50; 50 X 3 = 150.
30/10 = 40/30 = 1.33; 60/1.33 = 45; 45 X 3 = 115.

I don't mean to be a pain about this, but as an engineer and a former professional musician, I have an understanding of both the tempo aspect associated with using a metronome and the mathimatical background to know that the above formulas are correct.

Also, if you're still not convinced, check out page 25 in the book, where Novosel gives the elapsed times for the different swing tempos as 0.93 sec (21/7), 1.06 sec (24/8) and 1.2 sec (27/9). The only difference between our numbers is due to rounding error on the 24/8 tempo (he uses 0.33 sec/frame instead of 0.333333...).

These tempo markings will feel quite fast when compared to the CD or MP3 downloads that come with the book. Again, that is because he inserts 0.2 sec between the first and second beat to account for human reaction time. That is why he emphasizes that one is not to anticipate the tone, but instead, one must wait until they hear the tone and then react to it.

Being a trained musician, I prefer to get the feel of the tempo and then match my movements to the beat, just as if I were practicing a piece of music. This way, I can slow the tempo down to a comfortable pace, one where I can achieve success, and then gradually move the tempo up while maintaining the success rate. This may or may not help you, but I find it helps me enough that I wanted to share it with others.
[/quote]
Happyroman Thank you, you have been the only one that I can tell that not only understands the Tour tempo candance but you can explain it as well.
I have not purchased the book, but have been gathering some info. I've used a metronome for years for putting but have never used it for the full swing. Now that I have a better understanding I'm looking forward to working on consistant tempo throughout the round.
[/quote]
Got the book/CD on Amazon for $9. Been hitting practice balls 24/8 and studying the TT method. Good news is I've found I'm pretty close on tempo. Looking for consistancy through the round. Bad news is the more I seem to think of this the worse I play. For me it has to be a subconsious thing, not something I want to be concerned about when I'm playing but a good thing to do on occasion if the wheels fall off and my tempo is way off.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='The Boom Bapp' timestamp='1128189209' post='44225']
All I have to say is read Tour Tempo once, learn the simple concept and put it away, golf will never be the same once you learn how to find the correct tempo and how to count it into your game.

Visit your nearest Borders, Barnes & Noble, Bookstore, or order from the site.
Comes with CD's you can train to.

If Tiger and the rest of the worlds top golfers use TEMPO, why don't you? It is too simple to pass up.

I have read the book 5 times and it has helped me drop my Hcp from a beginning 10 to and 8 to a 4 and currently a 1. Scratch is next and Tour Tempo WILL help me get there! :ok:
[/quote]

All I can say to this is AMEN!

[quote name='MrHateCoffee' timestamp='1339514917' post='5075190']
I used Tour Tempo for awhile and it was great when I had it in my ear while playing. Unfortunately, when I didn't have it in my ear I had a hard time carrying over the tempo.
[/quote]

Build a preshot routine around the tones and your problem will be solved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQa_gLBFqWs

• 2 months later...

Just discovered this... Incredibly simple to put into use... If you can keep reasonably good 4/4 time in your head (1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4), all you have to do is understand where your club head needs to be at beats 1, 3 and 4... then listen to the tones for a couple of minutes to fully understand the concept... After that, you'll never need the tempo tones again... or background songs for that matter... The tempos on the CD are relatively arbitrary anyway... Just adjust your counting tempo until your swing feels natural... It does wonders for the pre-swing routine as well...

This is a really impressive piece of work...

Callaway GBB EPIC 9* +1*
TaylorMade Aero Burner 3-wood 15*

Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 5-wood 18* +2*
E21 Hybrids 18* & 26*
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 5-E Stiff
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 50/10

Callaway JAWS Raw Full Face Wedge 54/12
Vintage Zebra putter 

Wouldn't it actually translate to 1-2-3-4-5? That's three intervals between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and then 4-5 where you're making contact on 5. So "set" would be at 4.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fairway 3HL, 7

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 5

Mizuno MP54 5-P

Maltby TSW 50/6, 54/10, 58/6

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 34"

if you do the research - you will see that 3:1 ratio was discovered after high-speed camera break-down of some of the all-time great swings

frames per second to top
frames per second to bottom

all were 3:1 ratio

21:7 - 24:8 etc. snead, els, woods et.al were all 3:1

[url="http://www.tourtempo.com/GOLF-Magazine-TOUR-TEMPO.pdf"]http://www.tourtempo.com/GOLF-Magazine-TOUR-TEMPO.pdf[/url]

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

• 8 months later...

Looks like this thread has been dormant for awhile. Haven't read the book but I do have the Tour Tempo on my iPhone. Ball striking is one of my strengths to begin with, but, training with the tones while hitting balls roughly every other trip to the range has really helped to refine my routine and swing - I have noticeably better transition from setup to back swing (so say the guys that know my game fairly well). No, it's not cheap. If you employ the app on a regular basis however then you'll get some nice ROI in the form of a better routine and smoother tempo.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Old thread but since I'm reading it, thought I'd bump.

I actually went back to revisit this recently and, after just two days of 24/8 tempo training, actually shot my best round ever at Presedio (due to ball striking, not great putting).

Not sure if 144 is really the correct BPM to train at as there seems to be differing opinions in this thread, but actually went through the process of putting together a ~144 bpm playlist in Spotify yesterday to continue training WITHOUT hearing swing - set - through when I sleep at night.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB