Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I think you covered that pretty well.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My W/S blades showed up today. They’re replacing my beloved, trusty FG 17s. Ordered them stock length, 1* flat,at the recommendation from the fine folks at EW in Ridgeland,Ms. Also had them 2* weak, asked for 3 but told them I’d be happy with 2, to coincide as close as possible to my 17s. S300 shafts with OS GP Tour Velvets. Had the out for a 9 hole Loop this afternoon, 1st time out in 8 days. Shot 39. These are butter soft, 3 iron right down to the PW. Love ‘em.

24db7f49-62d6-4df4-b287-f06a3edb0eba.jpeg

602687c0-6c5f-448e-9dfd-f4671daa90ba.jpeg6 iron in bottom photo after a 155 yard approach.

• Like 2

I’m super jealous

mine have been on order for a few weeks with the possibility of a few more to go

Hit them well

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Got them in satin but have only taken them out a couple of times since buying. Different feel to my MP4s in that they feel squat and powerful if that makes sense. Clubhead is very compact but if anything my dispersion has improved, although that could be down to the C-Taper shafts that feel stiffer but smoother than S300s (they do need to be ‘hit’ a bit more though).

Enjoy them!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

My 3 iron recently suffered an unfortunate accident requiring a reshaft , and I did that yesterday. I wanted to give it a day or two to cure, so I put this guy in the bag, thinking the loft of the 2 iron is probably about the same loft as my 2 iron. The course I play a lot in the mornings has a couple of long par 3s where I often need to hit 3 iron, which proved to be true today. This thing just feels so nice, and I think the loft is a little stronger, because it was going a bit farther than I would have expected the 3 iron, but man, Hogan made some great feeling blades. I know the company today isn't the same, but hitting this thing today didn't make me want a set of Icons any less.

img-0341.jpg

img-0342.jpg

img-0343.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Honestly, that's the main reason I've never gone for a set of Miura's, or even a newish set of Mizunos/Cobras/TMs. I'm too cheap to spend that kind of coin on something with a fairly finite life. Though, as I'm now in my mid 50s, and I haven't worn out any of my sets of Ram Tour Grinds.....

LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The Apex Grind 2 iron was about 19.5* loft standard. I think the SB-1 3 iron is 22*?

There's a set of Apex Grinds at 2nd Swing, if any of y'all are interested. They appear to be in pretty good shape, Apex 4 shafts. Enabling alert!

I totally understand the logic of Miuras being too expensive if you already have enough clubs, but FWIW my Miuras after 3 years of good use are negligibly worn down. The metal is extremely resistant to wear. Better than my Mizuno mp67s. At almost 50 I see them outlasting my remaining lifetime. Whomever inherits them will see them as almost new (aside from gouges and scratches).

• Like 1

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

The 620s are sweet design. You can't go wrong with them since they are a classic blade design.

And if you like Tiger blades, forget about those P7TW's and try out his older Nike sets. The original Nike blades and the TW Victory Reds are both awesome blades. They will be cheaper than the P7TWs and be equally as good performing.

Newer and more modern blade designs are not necessarily better. And all of them are technically superior to any "forgiving" design so you can't go wrong if you are seeing the light and switching to blades from them. (My professional opinion and personal experiences only.)

Registered Bladeocrat

One of the changes that the Cobras have brought about is that I am happier forcing a club that extra 5 yards than easing off the next club up. Possibly I feel more comfortable doing that with the C-Tapers, but there really is a nice chunk of metal at the sweetspot ?

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

That would explain the extra distance I was seeing. I have no idea if the lofts on the Apex Grind set I have are standard, either due to intentional bending or from having been used. I picked up this set (2-E plus an Apex PC 1 iron and a 56 degree Sure Out wedge - Apex 4 shafts) on eBay after a few adult beverages one night for $87, including shipping. I mess around with them occasionally on a local par 3 course and on the range, and they are a really nice feeling iron.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I can understand it. I've played at courses with sandy soil, it does a completely different number on clubfaces than does the clay based soil at the course I've been playing the last 13 years.

Notwithstanding my childhood sets, my first blades were mp67s, which I bought as a treat for my when I was able to break 90 and was a 16 index. I got deluded into thinking that I needed some "forgiveness" so I also bought some mp60s and mpFliHis. End result was that I still hacked up the course, slightly worse actually, so I went back to my mp67s exclusively after getting my index down to 7-8 no matter what irons I used. With blades you can look good hacking up the course and even do it slightly better than with "forgiving" clubs. Their superior technology is better no matter what your skill level is, so you can look good with them as a hack or playa! ?

(Edit: it's always win-win* with blades!!!)

(*Unless of course you have some psychological issue with playing them. ?)

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

I tried various blades off and on when I started golf in the 90's mainly because of the feel, the look and the hope that it would help me make a more disciplined swing, but alas the mishits and the fact that I could only afford older irons meant I was a club shorter due to the lofts. My most memorable sets were MacGregor Muirfields and Wilson Staffs FG17. One of these days I'd like to build a minimalist set of Maltby's up to the 7 or 5 iron. It's MPF is better than my current non blade set!

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Talking to my man about getting some old blades stripped over here in Japan. He said the place they use does a lot of work for Miura. It seems all roads lead there on this side of the country. Interesting looking company. I don't think I need to look much further for finishes for the rest of my life. https://alfamek.net/golf/

Might go by there and see the operation, if they'll let me.

Another thing we got to talking about was the Miura TB? Zero. The man there said he had a set of those and another set of these: http://e-bahama.com/work/iron/eb-901.html - Just, understated and thoroughly classic! The golf shop there is an absolute delight. They have two barrels full of JDM irons to try.

And, yet I am not going anywhere near any of those sets, unless one should fall into my lap. I've got enough classics to last a lifetime and then some. And, I'm starting to feel the pull of old Wilson's. The Hagen's I just picked up, in particular, have a different heft to them, as finely balanced as anything I picked up yesterday. Maybe they'll get the alfamek treatment...

I bought a set of original Titleist Tour Models around 1989; they had been played for the better part of a decade before I got them, and had pretty significant browning. I practised and played with those irons for 3 or 4 years, and I don't think I added much to the browning. Now, the course I played at had clay based soil, and I think that's what makes the difference (as NRJyzr said). The only club I would said I added any significant wear to was the SW, because I practised in bunkers with it. So I reckon if your course has sandy soil--especially your practise area--then you will see some browning of the clubs over time. Clay-based soil not so much.

I figured as much that it's the soil type and possibly the PH level of it. Closest I've come to wearing out a blade was a SW I used for 10 years. Maybe get 5 months of decent golf weather where I live but we do have good turf to work off of. Most all my blades have held up well, even on the chatter issue. I use a large towel and pretty much carry them all the time.

Game is starting to go fun for me, my body actually seems to know what to do from P4 to P6, only took it 3 years to get it close to correct :). Swing feels good, scoring not there yet but can sense better things ahead. Maybe should not be surprised but golf is back big time where I live, tee times booked days out, practice ranges and greens jammed. Like Tiger slam days, maybe even bigger.

• Like 1