2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

FYI my science is never wrong. I wouldn't post if I wasn't confident in it and 100% sure.

Also when you pure that 3i off the #16 tee at Brandon Dunes you'll be as close to golf heaven as you can get. And know why I'm always waxing about blades and Miura steel. ?

Lastly...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I like Captain Pickard have been assimilated(sort of), I bought some Acer XV Tour Blades(I'm on a budget, I would have preferred some Maltby blades but I'm not complaining). The are small have a thin topline and have no more offset than any classic blade and just have more weight distributed in the sole like some really good name brand blades out there. I'm hoping to be able to hit a fade again.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

LOL agreed. But that set he has ends at 3i, so it's as close as he's getting. ?

As soon as I get that weight removed from my BB 1i, aka "Excalibur", it's going back in the bag so I can achieve Nirvana. Transcend. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

I'm still getting by with the two knives I hit to reach a par 5 two rounds ago. It's gonna take a while to top it. Meanwhile I've picked up a couple really nice two irons. The Apex with the Apex4 feels reallly nice. And, I still haven't taken out the Hagen. I got a deal on some Golf Pride Tour Velvets with a Founders Club logo of all things and of course I am putting them on my Crenshaw Grinds (not the set of Founders I picked up a couple weeks before). The hoing gets really intense during the rainy season for some reason.

• Like 1

Went 39-39 today. I was the low man in my group but still lost to, yes, you guessed it, @WishIPlayedMore in total skins, 10 to my 7. But I'll take a 78 any day. Plus it's always nice to be in the same group with another blades user, another Miura one at that. Here's our sexies for all y'all:
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/5G24DM1QRFMN/img-20200705-160955385.jpg[/img]

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Thinking of having a rack-armaggedon. I need to clear out some sets because I've come to realise that there's only so many I like playing. Please note I am not putting this out in the hopes of getting offers, because if/when I do sell it will be through Yahoo's auction site or something similar.

Anyway, Here's where I'm at right now:Keep:

MP-4s 4-PW

Wilson FG-62s 3-PW

Wilson FG-J8s 3-SW (very similar to the FG-17s)

Wilson Staff Tour Blades custom 4-PW

Mizuno ANGC 3-11i (reshafted with DGS400s to my specs)

Mizuno MP-14s 2i-PW

Mizuno MS-7 (US model) 2i-SW; love the specs on these; the PW is 36" and has 1/4" increments to the 6i, then 1/2" gaps

Mac Muirfields 1i-SW

Mac Muirfield 20ths 3-PW

Mac MT Forged 3i-PW (these are beaten up and worth nothing, but I like playing them. Worth nothing second hand, so I'll keep playing them)

RAM Tour Grinds 3i-PW

Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades 3-PW (these are closest to the chopping block of these 12 iron sets, but the last time I played with them, I really liked them).

That's 12 (TWELVE!) sets I'm definitely keeping.

Get rid of:

Ben Hogan '72 Apexes 3i-E (these are fine, but I've played them enough and don't love them enough to keep)

Mac RM58s 3i-SW (I love these irons, but the FM6.5 shafts are a bit stiff for me, and the shaft lengths are too short. If I likes the shaft more, I'd get them extended)

Mac VIPs 2i-SW (not originals. An Eighties JDM reissue with massive short irons with too much offset. I can live without these)

Mac VIP Tours 2i-PW (my only set of cavity backs. They're OK, but I'm not in love with them)

Mac SS1 1i-SW (these were a limited edition set that would have originally come with woods and a putter. Shafts are too short for me, so I think they can go. Bit sad to part with them).

Golfcraft Joe Kirkwood Signatures 3i-9i, SW (aluminium shafts, which I don't like)

Baldo MB11s 3i-PW (got these to flip. Nice irons, but I don't like Modus 120 shafts)

Maruman Conductor SG irons 3i-SW (too much offset, but the black finish looks cool).

Wilson '72 X-31 2i-SW (the X-stiff shaft is hard work, and I've other Wilson irons I prefer; they can go)

Mizuno Masters Tournament 3i-SW (got these with the intention of reshafting and playing, but the heel-to-toe length is too much for me. Not worth it).

Honma PP737 3-11i (these look great, but that's about it. Cast irons that feel "meh". Like the short irons, though. I've played them enough to know I don't love them)

Not sure about:

Mizuno MS-11 3i-SW (I like them, but I haven't played them for a couple of years. Just not worth anything second hand)

Mizuno MS-1 3-SW (apart from the SW, I like these clubs, but I've other Mizunos I prefer and will play more)

Nike OG Blades (Tough one. Like them a lot, but I could flip them and make money on them. Great irons, but not seeing a ton of bag time)

Callaway Protos 3i-PW (Haven't played them yet so just not sure about them, though I think I'm going to like them. I got them cheap and reckon I could make money if I sold them. But they look too good for that. Probably keeping these)

RAM Pro Tour Camber Soles 3i-SW (The SW I reshafted with a new DGS400 I'll definitely hold on to as it's one of my favourite vintage wedges. Not sure about the irons. I reshafted these with extended PXi shafts I had lying around, and had to extend them by about 3/4". Not worth much second hand, so I might play them, or pull the shafts and put S400s in them to match the SW)

Now, if you've got this far, I know many of you have multiple sets. How do you rank/regard them, and what makes you cling on to certain sets, yet let go of others? Recently for me it has been whether the shaft lengths, especially in the shorter irons, fit me. I like a PW at 35.5" at least.

• Like 3

Now, if you've got this far, I know many of you have multiple sets. How do you rank/regard them, and what makes you cling on to certain sets, yet let go of others? Recently for me it has been whether the shaft lengths, especially in the shorter irons, fit me. I like a PW at 35.5" at least. -NCN

No doubt shaft spec & overall weight guide my decisions on what I play. Feel like it takes 3-4 weeks to acclimate to a certain set, pretty much don't want to change things once I do. Might have 5 sets that "fit me" & that I can choose from. The rest, need redo or banishment.

• Like 1

Awesome collection. I started to go through my inventory and found many sets, but here are the bladed irons we talk about in this thread. They all get used at one point or another. Every time I have sold a set of irons thinking I would enjoy the monetary gain, I actually always regretted it. So as i have gotten older I have learned I really enjoy keeping my golf stuff. Of course in these times, I have had to sell some things because life and bills have not slowed down. I really do enjoy putting together a new bag whenever I feel like it. Certain days I want that Mizuno Blade classic look. Other courses I need that Srixon Blade (the most forgiving blade I own). My 710 MBs I like to throw around because they are what i call my beater set.

Mizuno MP-32

MIzuno MP-5

Callaway Apex MB (raw)

Titleist 710 MB

Srixon Z forged

• Like 1

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

I know exactly what you mean about chasing the monetary gain only to regret it later. This is why I have accumulated so many sets, more than I can play so that's why I want to reduce the number a little. It would also be good to free up some space for new acquisitions...

The MP5s took a while to grow on me, but they are some fine irons. I've tried out the Z-Forged and liked them a lot. Really easy to hit. Now, the recent Apex MBs I have not seen in the wild, but from the pictures I've seen, they look amazing. I especially like the more recent (custom?) edition with the thicker muscle pad.

Although the 710MBs are not a set I would chase after, I did pick up a set Titleist 710 CBs in the UK recently that I am quite taken with, though I usually bag my '79~80 Titleist Tour Models that I grew up playing when I am back over there.

• Like 2

I bought the MP-5's off a seller on this site. I was looking for MP-4 or MP-5 whichever popped up first. the 5's are pretty easy to play and do look amazing in the bag. The first round I put them in play, I jarred a 6 iron from 175 for Eagle and hit the flag stick on a 165 par three with the 7 iron. when my swing is on they are a great pleasure to play.

• Like 2

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7

As an engineer with highly OCD tendencies I could not see myself with too many multiple blades sets. It would lead to a mental meltdown. ? I'd end up analyzing them all to death to determine which one(s) played the absolute best and if that wasn't an issue I'd go through a laborious process of which ones felt the best. I'd end up spending a lot of time just getting it to 1 gamer set, 1-2 backup sets, and a beater/travel set. 4 sets max is all I could mentally handle. And they all better play and feel similarly.

What's also helped me is the high cost and performance and feel benefits of my BB sets. They have truly ruined my desire to seek out "better" clubs on all fronts. Every time I test out something different I go back to them because they simply cannot be beat. Best. Irons. Eva!

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Technically they are 'bad b*tches' ?

My gamers, aka "P*rn Stars"...

img-20181223-102240363.jpgAnd my backup gamers, aka "Cal Hotties"...

20160731-142109.jpgI bought the Cal Hotties first and because I was so smitten ? I had to have two sets. ??

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

SO SO FRESH!! I may retract my previous statement. Sell all my sets and hunt these down. Well done sir, well done.

closest thing I have to that rare of a cat, Raw Apex MB’s

d1b0384f-bc9f-4263-89b3-65556ce055df.jpeg

• Like 2

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7

My Wilson Staff Blades finally came, unfortunately I have been so busy I haven't been able to play. But hitting them on the range and in my net (with my Skytrak) I am starting to kick myself for not coming back to blades sooner. I am having so much fun hitting them and they are noticeable straighter than my Ping i210s were, they also spin a lot more, that's good for me, and they are just as long as my Pings were. Now if I can only keep the "ho" in me from buying different sets of blades!!

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

Those are some fine kitties for sure! Callaway's best irons, IMHO. ???

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

- blades are awesome to play your technically best golf with no matter what your skill level is and provided that you have the correct mind set about playing them

- blades exacerbate the feedback and feel of impact which is akin to playing golf in 'high definition' as opposed to 'standard definition'; with blades the best shots feel the greatest and the poor ones feel the worst

Registered Bladeocrat

Although I'm not OCD, most of the sets I am planning to get rid of have the wrong specs for me. I've realised I can play a fairly wide variety of shafts, but what I can't be doing is using short irons that have shafts that are too short for me. Some of the older Japanese iron sets appear to have pitching wedges starting at 35". It feels like I'm swinging with a lollipop stick! The Mac RM58s with Brunswick FM6.5s I could manage if only the PW, 9i, and 8i weren't so short.

Now, lies and lofts I can adjust to match my preferences, though I always hit the clubs before I make any adjustments. The MS-7s, for example, I got recently and knew just from looking at them that they were too flat. A couple of swings soon confirmed that. Oh, and that's another problem with having too many sets: keeping track of all the lies and lofts, and adjusting them when necessary, is a right pain in the backside.

So getting specs right does matter to me, but I've found that a certain amount of variation does no affect results. Well, certainly not as much as how I am swinging on any given day

• Like 1

I've been playing my new Wilson's since we opened up in May. It only gets better with the Staff's. They are the first set of irons that I've played that I am actually bummed when my round is over. I just want to keep playing.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Funny you say that, its how I felt yesterday hitting balls in my garage. I was a sweaty mess but didn't want to stop. Hoping to get out and play with them on Monday.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

Feel the same at the range, whether it's with the Hagen Crenshaw grinds or my Mr23 US spec Cbs. The crenshaws have me re-evaluating all of the other sets in my stable. Maybe there is something to the bore-thru hosel? They are so solid and easy to hit, even with s400s which I have never really gotten along with. I don't notice them at all. They are easy from 2 thru P and I can flight the short irons easier than anything. Lovin golf right now, just stuck in the middle of rainy season.