2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Got the Maltby MMB-17s on the course and have had a couple range sessions also. Great feeling irons! The light x100 shafts work well with the +1 over length and midsize grips to make a more normal swing weight and keep me in line. My prior irons had a stronger tendency to draw than these are showing so far, mostly hitting them straight or with a very slight draw. Trajectory is a very nice mid-high and I’m able to hold greens no problem, even sticking within a couple feet of my divot on 200 yard par 3’s with the 4i. 

Got some launch monitor averages this evening.  Took 5 strokes with each club, will go back in a few weeks after grooving in my swing a little more for a companion. Not happy with my ball striking on the 7,6 and 4 irons bringing the averages down but that’s expected with every component being new to me. Added my old 50° just to get PW gapping. 

81632DD9-ECD9-4A68-89DE-5F59A419EDD5.png

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

SH stamped? I don't think I've heard of that. Is it "standard head"? I seem to recall they made a version with heavier heads. Conforming heads have a sort of "V" stamp, IIRC.

They were tour issue, SH 's are heavier. They also had high groove count (20?). I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. Thing was shafts, X100. I 'm so not enthusiastic about that shaft. But they were really attractive. I love the inverted "T" muscle configuration on these* and seen in some other clubs (T-Zoid True, RAC MB's) think it's a brilliant dance of grams.

* not a real T muscle, ah, close enough, lol

Edited by Nard_S

Ha, have to issue a correction, they were "H" stamp not SH. "SH" is from Honda, yes I'm fond of 90's vintage JDM cars too.

Pretty stoked to play this Sunday. Not sure if it's VR Pro's or 681's getting the call. Last week, aside from two triples, the round was fun. Odd, I blew up my holes with short iron, wedge and putter. My M.O. is to drill a dagger in my round with an errant #3W (or a few) but I don't currently have that issue. So ever the masochist, my chipping went to yipping. I feel chill on all that, like my metal play, so looking to ramp up on GIR's this week.

Had been playing my TW282 set, but a bit inconsistently.  I don't particularly get along with the Precision shaft.  Prefer that DG feel, I guess.  So, I put my MP37s back in my bag yesterday.  Hit them fairly well, even to the point I dug a 4 iron out of an old divot in the rough for a reasonable birdie putt.

If only the wedges would have participated yesterday.

Decided to make a testing change with driver yesterday also.  I'd put together a ProtoPype 70 S with a Cobra adapter to use it with my King LTD at 44".  Was turning it over a bit much, something that I seemed to do consistently with that LTD, regardless of shaft.  Have been having success with my Fly-Z+ lately, figured "why not," and plugged the ProtoPype into it.  The LTD has a shorter BBGM so the Fly-Z+ plays 44.5", about as long as I care to play driver.  Set it one click above standard loft and off I went.

It's turned out to be a great choice so far.  Hitting with a bit more distance, rather straight (for me), all sorts of fun.  Even had a run at driving the short par 4 12th hole, something that's been scarce the last couple years.

What was old is now new.  ?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well yesterday was my first try at golf again for some time about a year and half. I took some Mizuno CB my trustiest 3 wood and favorite putter down to the local course. A few warm up swings in the yard and a few balls the night before had me feeling like it was going to be a long day, but doable. As an afterthought I took along my TP-9 blade 1 iron just to play around with if the course and time would permit. The course was dead and hot so I played about three balls from each shot out of necessity at times and experiment at others. The 1i did very well when I could be trusted to maintain a fast disciplined swing. The necessity for me is to have two good practice swings and then burn the ball with a death stare while swinging out of my shoes focusing on the clubhead path being straight. The three wood abandoned me mid round and got bagged. My trust 1i worked me literally to death, but kept progressing down the course in play delivering me to a short game that was anything but. Worst hole morale wise was a dogleg left par 4 tight approach out of the shade into the sunset. I feed off in my usual fashion with the 1 iron: Drop ball on ground, kick ball to suitable spot, and toe it into place. Take two good practice swings, focus and let fly. Pured! I mean buttery click off a club going at light speed! Head was down and focused...shoot where'd the ball go? I didn't hear any ricochet or leaves getting ripped. Provisional. Again ripped buttery feel, but came up a little fat. Speed saved it from being a catastrophe, but no idea where it went. I looked all over and actually came within a few yards of each ball. They had been absolute lasers off the tee box and gone long into the hill and taller grass. Perfect for second shots, but I doubted myself as to what had happened. Found them on the next whole on the way to my whopper of a tee shot. I just had to laugh at myself. It was all in all a nice day of practice. Especially since I got to use my favorite club. 

So here I sit further addicted firmly convinced that I will keep my $20 one iron. 

• Like 2

So I  played Sunday, hit more greens(9) with the 681's but still could not break 85 (87). This time of year, above the hole or short sided is death on my course. Blazing greens that are both fun and maddening. So on the fence about which irons to carry. The VR Pro's are awesome sticks. I imagine it's derivative, the P7TW,  possesses much of the same goodness. But the 681's hold my heart a bit more. Usually at this time of year, I'm somewhat flatlined about the game. Not the case, right now. Too many positives. Weird,  the vintage of my crappiness is all time great, lol. At this point feel it's pure game management & mental. Going to crazy train this till the snow & scores drop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EDT501 said:

This thread and some nostalgia led me to this - sent the old blades from high school out for a spa day. Building the other half of the set tonight, can’t wait to get out and put them in the bag this weekend.

5AB09AF7-2210-4601-B0E8-F6713D1B64A6.jpeg

They look great, love the lack of stampings. Custom 68s?

Yep, MP68s. Just got them back from Doug Oughton who stripped them to raw, got rid of all the wear/tear, and welded in excess stamps/logos.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

On 9/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, Nard_S said:

So I  played Sunday, hit more greens(9) with the 681's but still could not break 85 (87). This time of year, above the hole or short sided is death on my course. Blazing greens that are both fun and maddening. So on the fence about which irons to carry. The VR Pro's are awesome sticks. I imagine it's derivative, the P7TW,  possesses much of the same goodness. But the 681's hold my heart a bit more. Usually at this time of year, I'm somewhat flatlined about the game. Not the case, right now. Too many positives. Weird,  the vintage of my crappiness is all time great, lol. At this point feel it's pure game management & mental. Going to crazy train this till the snow & scores drop.

I totally get it Nard. I'm going to go into the winter exhausted from playing golf. I think I've had more fun this year playing with my Wilson blades than any other year in the 33 I've been playing. It didn't hurt that my handicap went from a 10 to a 8 either.?

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Just got back into golf as I've retired and I'l have time now to get a few rounds in. I played a lot of golf from my teens through my mid 40's and learned on a cheap set of blades. They were Macgregor Frank Stranahan's. I bought myself a set of Murfields when they first came out and played those for years and loved them. I also had a set of Cleveland Byron Nelson blades and they were so soft I would deloft the 1 iron. They also had a slight offset and I didn't really care for that. I gave both sets away and now I bought some old blades off ebay. 68 Walter Hagen Haig Ultra 385's and I love them. They're a weak lofted set, 7 iron is 39. I've only gone to the range 3 times but I'm finding a swing and enjoying hitting some vintage clubs. I also bought a set of MacGregor JN heads. They look exactly like murfields but without that stamp. I plan on testing out some shafts then reshafting them as a project. I also have another set of 66 walter hagen haig ultra's heads that I want to restore, reshaft and learn some club repair as a hobby.

Any suggestions on modern blades...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ron T said:

Just got back into golf as I've retired and I'l have time now to get a few rounds in. I played a lot of golf from my teens through my mid 40's and learned on a cheap set of blades. They were Macgregor Frank Stranahan's. I bought myself a set of Murfields when they first came out and played those for years and loved them. I also had a set of Cleveland Byron Nelson blades and they were so soft I would deloft the 1 iron. They also had a slight offset and I didn't really care for that. I gave both sets away and now I bought some old blades off ebay. 68 Walter Hagen Haig Ultra 385's and I love them. They're a weak lofted set, 7 iron is 39. I've only gone to the range 3 times but I'm finding a swing and enjoying hitting some vintage clubs. I also bought a set of MacGregor JN heads. They look exactly like murfields but without that stamp. I plan on testing out some shafts then reshafting them as a project. I also have another set of 66 walter hagen haig ultra's heads that I want to restore, reshaft and learn some club repair as a hobby.

I will tell you first off I am biased but IMHO those Mac blades are as good as any real pure blade offered on the market today. Even though I am not a Wilson man those Haigs are not a bad head either. I am a big proponent of taking older blade designs no matter the brand and installing modern shafts that fit you and your game. Modern shafts really wake those old guys up. And do not worry about traditional lofts with the old stuff. It does not bother me one iota to be hitting my old 6 iron where my opponent may be hitting a modern loft jacked 8 iron

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Club champs weekend for me this weekend, looking for a smooth no fuss 2 days of golf. Hitting my irons so solid at the moment which is encouraging, just need to roll in a couple of putts! 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

8 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I will tell you first off I am biased but IMHO those Mac blades are as good as any real pure blade offered on the market today. Even though I am not a Wilson man those Haigs are not a bad head either. I am a big proponent of taking older blade designs no matter the brand and installing modern shafts that fit you and your game. Modern shafts really wake those old guys up. And do not worry about traditional lofts with the old stuff. It does not bother me one iota to be hitting my old 6 iron where my opponent may be hitting a modern loft jacked 8 iron

Thanks for the reply about the Mac Blades. I can't wait to reshaft them and try them out. They look exactly like the murfields I had. The Haig Ultras are really nice to hit. I haven't played yet just made 3 trips to the range to hit some balls and find a swing. Any suggestions about shafts. I'm 63 but can still generate some decent CH speed. I'm carrying that Haig 2 iron about 210 in the air so not bad...

DSCN6864[1].JPG

Edited by Ron T
add a picture
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ron T said:

Welcome to Club Blade, Brother Ron.  ?

I agree with what I'm reading as the theme of Brother Stu's post, which is, there's not a great deal of reason to buy new blades; the classic sets are really quite lovely.  And considerably more reasonable in price, says the cheap so-and-so.  LOL 

If you are set on more recent models, I'm partial to the MP4 or MP5 from Mizuno, the recent Cobra MB, the TM Tour Preferred set from 2014 (or even 2011, if you can stand the screw weight), maybe the FG Tour 100 from Wilson, or the new Icons from the reincarnated Hogan.

My personal taste runs towards getting a set of 80s Wilson Staffs, FG-51s, older Mizunos like MP-9/MP-11/MP-14/MP-33 (if you can find them in decent condition), and the always-preferred-by-me Ram Tour Grinds.  The latter are vanishing, for obvious reasons.  Oh, Muirfields and Muirfield 20ths are also a major part of that list of desirables.

There's so much to choose from.  ?

Also agreeing with Stu, no reason to worry about older clubs and distance.  Loft is what determines distance for each of us, a 42* club hits like a 42* club, no matter what is stamped on the sole.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 hours ago, Ron T said:

Thanks for the reply about the Mac Blades. I can't wait to reshaft them and try them out. They look exactly like the murfields I had. The Haig Ultras are really nice to hit. I haven't played yet just made 3 trips to the range to hit some balls and find a swing. Any suggestions about shafts. I'm 63 but can still generate some decent CH speed. I'm carrying that Haig 2 iron about 210 in the air so not bad...

DSCN6864[1].JPG

As you can see from my signature I like the old Hogan Apex shafts. But I am a big fan of DG shafts always have been a DG man. I am the same age as you but if not DG R-300 then the Hogan Apex. But recently a lot of guys are going to the Nippon shafts but I do not have any experience first hand with them. I am also a big fan of the old Rifle Precision 5.5 shafts

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

34 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

As you can see from my signature I like the old Hogan Apex shafts. But I am a big fan of DG shafts always have been a DG man. I am the same age as you but if not DG R-300 then the Hogan Apex. But recently a lot of guys are going to the Nippon shafts but I do not have any experience first hand with them. I am also a big fan of the old Rifle Precision 5.5 shafts

Can you describe the difference between r100 r200 r300 r400 and the s versions of those shafts. Also are apex shafts available. I guess I could do a goggle search. But I like peoples experience.

r

11 minutes ago, Ron T said:

Can you describe the difference between r100 r200 r300 r400 and the s versions of those shafts. Also are apex shafts available. I guess I could do a goggle search. But I like peoples experience.

The difference between 100, 200, 300, 400 is about 2 grams of weight per increment. Classic DG S300 is a 127 gram uncut.

Apex shafts are not made but KBS or Nippon may  be best suited replacement. Apex are a bit lighter than S300 and they are softer tipped. They feel "smoother" but would not say they are weak or noodle like. 

I just put together a set with Super Peening Blue's and to be honest, I'm not super impressed.

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

r

The difference between 100, 200, 300, 400 is about 2 grams of weight per increment. Classic DG S300 is a 127 gram uncut.

Apex shafts are not made but KBS or Nippon may  be best suited replacement. Apex are a bit lighter than S300 and they are softer tipped. They feel "smoother" but would not say they are weak or noodle like. 

I just put together a set with Super Peening Blue's and to be honest, I'm not super impressed.

Do those weight difference make a big difference. What makes someone pick one over the other. My Cleveland Byron Nelsons were S400 but again I'm 20 years older. My murfields had black label true temper S. I'm sure at 63 I should move to an R flex but what weight?

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

@AdExec

Those are some killer bags. Baby Blades too? SMTH, lol.

Just bought a home on the course at my country club, so had an excuse to have multiple sets now! cant wait for the baby blades to get here. Excited to feel the Miuras with those recoil protos. Should be an amazing set up on those heads! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron T said:

Do those weight difference make a big difference. What makes someone pick one over the other. My Cleveland Byron Nelsons were S400 but again I'm 20 years older. My murfields had black label true temper S. I'm sure at 63 I should move to an R flex but what weight?

Well, it probably does not add up to a whole lot of difference,...... however...... I'm fully partial to S400, in fact my all time favorite,  have S100's, do not like them but I'm okay w/ S300. S200's is a standard for JDM offerings, which I personally do not care for. So, yeah it matters, I guess. Dynamic Gold is not an "easy" shaft. That's my view., They were designed for Pro like swings and they still stand up decades later on the tour.

If you are just returning, stay in zip code of what you know but maybe slightly lighter and softer in flex. MB's work better with some give in the flex, imo. See Apex. DG R300 seems safe choice  However there is a ton of options nowadays and this is a gray area especially if point of reference are DG pre-1990.  Personally, I recommend 99 Hogan Apex w/ FM shafts. If one cannot get on & enjoy with those, there's zero hope. 

Demo days and bays can be of help here. Fleabay some shafts, experiment, break out the lead tape, dig some dirt. Have fun with it.  

• Like 1