Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 9/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, Jonesy said:

Club champs weekend for me this weekend, looking for a smooth no fuss 2 days of golf. Hitting my irons so solid at the moment which is encouraging, just need to roll in a couple of putts! 

1967821094_Goodluck_2.jpg.fbff7f8abe2cf36b20dd0f2bcb6468f3.jpg

In true Airplane! spirit, I should post this about four times, including at least once after your Club Championship has finished.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ron T said:

Can you describe the difference between r100 r200 r300 r400 and the s versions of those shafts. Also are apex shafts available. I guess I could do a goggle search. But I like peoples experience.

Just adding a bit to what @Nard_S said. The main difference between the R, S, and X flexes in the Dynamic Gold shafts is the stepping, or to put it another way, the length from the tip to the first step. The 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 show weight differences. An S400 shaft uncut is, for example, heavier than an X100 uncut. I suppose a simple rule is, if you want more heft go for a bigger number. I used to hit the ball high, and liked the x100 because they helped reduced the apex height, especially in the more lofted irons. Now, I prefer the s400s. I'm not a great fan of the S200s, but I can play them. The R400s, which are quite common in older irons over here, are, I think, a terrible combination as they are heavy but soft. Takes some getting used to.

10 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Well, it probably does not add up to a whole lot of difference,...... however...... I'm fully partial to S400, in fact my all time favorite,  have S100's, do not like them but I'm okay w/ S300. S200's is a standard for JDM offerings, which I personally do not care for. So, yeah it matters, I guess. Dynamic Gold is not an "easy" shaft. That's my view., They were designed for Pro like swings and they still stand up decades later on the tour.

If you are just returning, stay in zip code of what you know but maybe slightly lighter and softer in flex. MB's work better with some give in the flex, imo. See Apex. DG R300 seems safe choice  However there is a ton of options nowadays and this is a gray area especially if point of reference are DG pre-1990.  Personally, I recommend 99 Hogan Apex w/ FM shafts. If one cannot get on & enjoy with those, there's zero hope. 

Demo days and bays can be of help here. Fleabay some shafts, experiment, break out the lead tape, dig some dirt. Have fun with it.  

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Just adding a bit to what @Nard_S said. The main difference between the R, S, and X flexes in the Dynamic Gold shafts is the stepping, or to put it another way, the length from the tip to the first step. The 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 show weight differences. An S400 shaft uncut is, for example, heavier than an X100 uncut. I suppose a simple rule is, if you want more heft go for a bigger number. I used to hit the ball high, and liked the x100 because they helped reduced the apex height, especially in the more lofted irons. Now, I prefer the s400s. I'm not a great fan of the S200s, but I can play them. The R400s, which are quite common in older irons over here, are, I think, a terrible combination as they are heavy but soft. Takes some getting used to.

I use to hit the ball very high with my Murfields and the Byron Nelsons. I bought some Haig Ultra's off ebay. They have whatever shaft they came with in 68 and I hit them a little lower than I use to hit my other irons. But again I am 20 years older. The haigs seem more center weighted where the murfields have that huge muscle in the back and the Byron nelsons were similar in that regard...They were reissues of a Mac club. The back wasn't as deep. I went to the dynamic gold site and then went through the project X shaft recommendation app and it came up with Project X LZ Steel 6.0. Any comments on these stepless shafts? I had no issue back in the day swinging an s400 shaft and I keep myself in shape with strength training. I guess I need to go and see a fitter to see the differences and get an idea of shaft will work for me now. Thanks for the info I appreciate your time

LZ is a softer version of PX.

PX is said to be stiffest tipped of shafts and are strong to flex. I would not know 1st hand but they supposedly launch higher than classic DG and are slightly lighter. I have a 6.5 #5i shaft to test but it is said that short irons reveal more about PX shafts.

You know, you're in an ideal situation to pay for a shaft fitting. It will probably save you money to book 2 hours with a monitor and test 5-6 configurations. You've settled on using blades and for the most part, MB's do not radically vary. But shaft spec and weight spec make big dent in perception of how good a blade is to a user.

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

LZ is a softer version of PX.

PX is said to be stiffest tipped of shafts and are strong to flex. I would not know 1st hand but they supposedly launch higher than classic DG and are slightly lighter. I have a 6.5 #5i shaft to test but it is said that short irons reveal more about PX shafts.

You know, you're in an ideal situation to pay for a shaft fitting. It will probably save you money to book 2 hours with a monitor and test 5-6 configurations. You've settled on using blades and for the most part, MB's do not radically vary. But shaft spec and weight spec make big dent in perception of how good a blade is to a user.

At 63 I'm thinking I'll probably need a little more flex in the shaft but I think you're right. I play blades because I learned on them and I don't think they were ever the reason behind a bad shot. I've only gone to the range 3 times and I'm hitting the ball better than I expected. except the driver....LOL..I was never a good driver....always a better iron player. That brings me to a whole other dilemma and that is oversized drivers. My favorite driver I ever had was a Mac M75...probably the smallest driver head made. I'll try to ask questions about that in another thread

I plan on putting whatever shaft into those Mac JN blades I bought.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

1967821094_Goodluck_2.jpg.fbff7f8abe2cf36b20dd0f2bcb6468f3.jpg

In true Airplane! spirit, I should post this about four times, including at least once after your Club Championship has finished.

Thanks No Catchy!

Had a rough first day, just couldn't get off the tee and got stuck on the bogey train... Yesterday there was hectic winds, probably averaging around 40km/h, balls were being affected on the green, playing into the wind was like 3 clubs more than usual, downhill/downwind putts were practically impossible. So obviously I played my best golf yesterday, I think I even ended up with the best round of the day shooting +4, which I'll take in those conditions.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

22 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Thanks No Catchy!

Had a rough first day, just couldn't get off the tee and got stuck on the bogey train... Yesterday there was hectic winds, probably averaging around 40km/h, balls were being affected on the green, playing into the wind was like 3 clubs more than usual, downhill/downwind putts were practically impossible. So obviously I played my best golf yesterday, I think I even ended up with the best round of the day shooting +4, which I'll take in those conditions.

+4 in conditions like that is a very good score, especially as I imagine the pin position and set up generally was on the tougher side for the Club Championship. Is your home course a coastal course, because that's some strong wind?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

+4 in conditions like that is a very good score, especially as I imagine the pin position and set up generally was on the tougher side for the Club Championship. Is your home course a coastal course, because that's some strong wind?

Thanks No Catchy,I'll definitely take it!

Yeah the setup was a bit tougher as well, apparently they saw the wind forecast and eased up on some of the tee box positions but not by much... we are about 30km from the coast so we get some wind but never as bad as this. If we we on a coastal course like Durban Country Club yesterday I imagine we would have been called off.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

On 9/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, Ron T said:

At 63 I'm thinking I'll probably need a little more flex in the shaft but I think you're right. I play blades because I learned on them and I don't think they were ever the reason behind a bad shot. I've only gone to the range 3 times and I'm hitting the ball better than I expected. except the driver....LOL..I was never a good driver....always a better iron player. That brings me to a whole other dilemma and that is oversized drivers. My favorite driver I ever had was a Mac M75...probably the smallest driver head made. I'll try to ask questions about that in another thread

I plan on putting whatever shaft into those Mac JN blades I bought.

I forgot about this but these guys are real informative about gear in general. Here they compare some of the shafts we are talking about. I believe there are other comparisons they've done.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, Jonesy said:

Thanks No Catchy,I'll definitely take it!

Yeah the setup was a bit tougher as well, apparently they saw the wind forecast and eased up on some of the tee box positions but not by much... we are about 30km from the coast so we get some wind but never as bad as this. If we we on a coastal course like Durban Country Club yesterday I imagine we would have been called off.

Aren't you heading into spring in SA? So the winds were sort of early spring weather? I remember getting some pretty windy weather in March/April in the UK, but 40km/h winds were rare. I did enjoy once skying my driver into a gale and having the ball land 2 yards behind me (balata...they span a lot....).

So I'm listening to this again and I passed on bad info earlier. Project X is higher launching, lower spinning shaft in comparison to Dynamic Gold. I stated PX spun more, incorrect but they are rather stiff to flex. The launch profile sounds a lot like classic Rifle but one needs to keep in mind that Rifle's are descending weight & PX are constant weight. That aspect is something to unpack also. I'm agnostic on descending vs constant. I used to feel better about CW but some of my favorite MB sets have descending weight setup. I'm playing Rifle's right now in X but I easily swing into DG S400 & DG S400U. But enough about me, lol. Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nard_S said:

So I'm listening to this again and I passed on bad info earlier. Project X is higher launching, lower spinning shaft in comparison to Dynamic Gold. I stated PX spun more, incorrect but they are rather stiff to flex. The launch profile sounds a lot like classic Rifle but one needs to keep in mind that Rifle's are descending weight & PX are constant weight. That aspect is something to unpack also. I'm agnostic on descending vs constant. I used to feel better about CW but some of my favorite MB sets have descending weight setup. I'm playing Rifle's right now in X but I easily swing into DG S400 & DG S400U. But enough about me, lol. Good luck.

Thanks again. I think I will go look into a fitting for shafts. I have no idea what my spin rate is or any of the modern tech talk stuff. I know I use to hit the ball high and I was a little longer than most back in the day. Now...who knows. When I played the murfields keeping the ball down was always an issue for me. The Haigs I bought off ebay don't have as much of a LCG their weight seem to run along the center of the blade due to where that center bulge is. And I don't hit them as high as the murfields but again I'm 20 years older and haven't hit balls in 20 years. I'm sure I hit it lower with less spin and I'm sure I no where near as long as I was. I hit the haig 7 iron maybe 150 and it's loft is 39. I do know I use to hit my 7 about 170 with the black band true temper shafts in my murfields and the s400's in my cleveland byron nelson set.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nard_S said:

When I played PX 6.5 in a set of Golden Rams back in the day, they definitely got up quickly, but were also obviously lower spin; the trajectory flattened rather quickly.

Personally, not fond of the bend profile.  Prefer DG profile, as a rule

11 minutes ago, boggyman said:

Looking for insight on these.?‍♂️Anyone ever play them??? 

257C904B-D6E7-4807-8ED0-912BB6AE26A8.jpeg

Highly regarded over the years, but don't remember specific folks who've played them, or specific comments about them.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

43 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

When I played PX 6.5 in a set of Golden Rams back in the day, they definitely got up quickly, but were also obviously lower spin; the trajectory flattened rather quickly.

Personally, not fond of the bend profile.  Prefer DG profile, as a rule

Highly regarded over the years, but don't remember specific folks who've played them, or specific comments about them.

Thanks. Can get a veryyy  good set on the cheap is why I asked. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Aren't you heading into spring in SA? So the winds were sort of early spring weather? I remember getting some pretty windy weather in March/April in the UK, but 40km/h winds were rare. I did enjoy once skying my driver into a gale and having the ball land 2 yards behind me (balata...they span a lot....).

We are indeed heading into spring, usually a great time of the year to play, everything starts softening up and the greens really come alive. That wind was a strange one, its been so calm the last few days. 

I'm pretty sure I watched a couple balls stop dead in the air and fall straight down on Sunday! I would have packed up if any came back over my head though... 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

On 9/16/2020 at 8:04 PM, Jonesy said:

We are indeed heading into spring, usually a great time of the year to play, everything starts softening up and the greens really come alive. That wind was a strange one, its been so calm the last few days. 

I'm pretty sure I watched a couple balls stop dead in the air and fall straight down on Sunday! I would have packed up if any came back over my head though... 

Autumn and Spring are the best times here. Although I've played quite a bit this summer, it's really a bit too hot and humid to really enjoy 100%. Looking forward to getting some rounds in over the next 2~3 months, before the grass goes dormant.

• Like 1

This last week, after months of horrendous swing problems, I've finally not only figured out what I was doing wrong (did that a couple of months ago), but also how to fix it. As I'm now able to find the middle of the club again and hit it on the line I want without flipping the club and smother-hooking, I've decided to revisit my 4-iron spot. You may want to skip the background.

BACKGROUND: This has always been a problem spot for me, and currently I bag a 23* hybrid and a 24* 4i. I use the 4i mostly on long par 3s, and occasionally tee shots on short, tight par 4s, but my usual courses don't have many of either hole. The hybrid is a par-5 layup/attack green club, and also a rescue club. Although I don't need to open an extra spot in my bag, I've been experimenting with driving irons and what-have-you in order to slim the bag down.

MEAT:Today I went to a shop with a basic launch monitor and tried out four different 4 irons

1) Titleist 712U with KBS 110 Tour R-flex

2) Old Callaway Apex Pro with Memphis 10 shaft (U-flex?)

3) Ping i500 with Modus 120X

4) Mizuno MP 68 with PX6.0 → This was my "control" club, as it was most similar to my MP4 4i

I've hit the 712U before, and liked the feel, but the results on the monitor weren't great. It was short--I was struggling to hit 190 yards with it--but a couple of shots went over 210. In other words, distance control was terrible. And, honestly, I was hitting the middle of the club, but still struggling to get over 190, and that's with carryedit: rollout.

The old Callaway Apex was the easiest of the four to hit, but distance dispersion was no better than the 712U. The longest hit was 210, which about what I'm after, but other strikes from the middle were only going 180~190.

The Ping was the longest, with a couple of hits going 217 yards, but not great dispersion. I think my shortest of a good strike was 192, which means a 25 yard difference on good hits. That's not what I want if I'm hitting into a par 3.

Finally, the MP-68. This might not surprise you, but distance dispersion was the best. Although not the longest (210 was my longest), I was averaging 200 wth it. The other bonus was spin was higher, about 3,800rpm compared to under 2,500~2,800 with the 712U and i500. If I'm hitting into a par 3, I want the ball to stop.

CONCLUSION: I'll keep looking, but I reckon I stick with my blade 4i for par 3s and tee shots and hybrid for other shots for the time being. 

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

MEAT:Today I went to a shop with a basic launch monitor and tried out four different 4 irons

1) Titleist 712U with KBS 110 Tour R-flex

2) Old Callaway Apex Pro with Memphis 10 shaft (U-flex?)

3) Ping i500 with Modus 120X

4) Mizuno MP 68 with PX6.0 → This was my "control" club, as it was most similar to my MP4 4i

Keep looking - those seem to be some eclectic choices. Pretty wide variation in shafts and flexes too. I'd be looking for something with the same shaft as my irons in the 4 iron spot. I went with a hybrid 22 degree (which I think is basically a 3i) and Now I am going with a 20 degree 3i (the TMB) and a Mr23 4i. Honestly my favorite clubs are long irons - have been since forever.

On the topic of 4 irons I hit one out of the rough last round that kind of shocked me. I cold topped a 3-iron off the tee leaving 240 yards to the front of the green. I had 3-iron in my hand for the second shot and then, when I looked at the lie ( a little cuppy and fluffy) I thought maybe it was best to go with a 4i. I hit it solid and it came out low. Thing ended up 10 yards behind the green. If anything, the wind was a little into us that hole. Never hit a four iron that far on a flat hole. That was the only 4-iron I hit all day... didn't hit a 5 iron either... or a 6.

This shot also brings me to shafts. I'm using TTDGX100. It's hard to get a ball to turn with these. I have to make an effort to impact the spin. With S300 I get them turning left. With S400 I do too, but they generally start a little further right. They all have about the same height, but coming from different heads. These days at the range I warm up with a selection of MBs Mizuno MS-203s with S200 (worst shaft - starts left, goes left), Founders 200 with s300, Hagen Crenshaws (s400). By the time I get to the MR23s the swing is going good.

Hit the driver well the 27 holes I played. Only lost one ball. Two others were ob - on the course. Pulled one on a short par 4 and another on a par 5. Ended up bogeying both of those. So, for 3 balls ob I was 4 over. I hit no more than 7 iron into all 6 par 5s. Still generating some power, but felt it the next day.

The China Virus has done a number on my training routine. Haven't seen the inside of a gym or stepped in a pool all year. What a shame.

Took a job at a high school this fall, so I probably won't get to play all that much with my irregular Monday group. Got a game planned for the end of September at a nice track I ripped up last time. We'll see how I fair next time.

13 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Keep looking - those seem to be some eclectic choices. Pretty wide variation in shafts and flexes too. I'd be looking for something with the same shaft as my irons in the 4 iron spot. I went with a hybrid 22 degree (which I think is basically a 3i) and Now I am going with a 20 degree 3i (the TMB) and a Mr23 4i. Honestly my favorite clubs are long irons - have been since forever.

On the topic of 4 irons I hit one out of the rough last round that kind of shocked me. I cold topped a 3-iron off the tee leaving 240 yards to the front of the green. I had 3-iron in my hand for the second shot and then, when I looked at the lie ( a little cuppy and fluffy) I thought maybe it was best to go with a 4i. I hit it solid and it came out low. Thing ended up 10 yards behind the green. If anything, the wind was a little into us that hole. Never hit a four iron that far on a flat hole. That was the only 4-iron I hit all day... didn't hit a 5 iron either... or a 6.

This shot also brings me to shafts. I'm using TTDGX100. It's hard to get a ball to turn with these. I have to make an effort to impact the spin. With S300 I get them turning left. With S400 I do too, but they generally start a little further right. They all have about the same height, but coming from different heads. These days at the range I warm up with a selection of MBs Mizuno MS-203s with S200 (worst shaft - starts left, goes left), Founders 200 with s300, Hagen Crenshaws (s400). By the time I get to the MR23s the swing is going good.

Hit the driver well the 27 holes I played. Only lost one ball. Two others were ob - on the course. Pulled one on a short par 4 and another on a par 5. Ended up bogeying both of those. So, for 3 balls ob I was 4 over. I hit no more than 7 iron into all 6 par 5s. Still generating some power, but felt it the next day.

The China Virus has done a number on my training routine. Haven't seen the inside of a gym or stepped in a pool all year. What a shame.

Took a job at a high school this fall, so I probably won't get to play all that much with my irregular Monday group. Got a game planned for the end of September at a nice track I ripped up last time. We'll see how I fair next time.

The 4i choices were based on what was in the shop (it was a Golf Partner), and I sort of deliberately went for wildly different shafts to see if there were any surprises. On that note, I don't normally like Modus 120, but the X (maybe TX?) had a nice whip to it through impact.

Now as for X100...I haven't that shaft for a while, but I used to love it. I've got an old set of Macs that I reshafted with X100, and perhaps I should take them out. Right now, I think I could manage them.

As for that 4i shot you hit...I wonder if the cuppy lie led to a low spin bullet. Still a massive hit.

You're going to be full-time at the high school? That's going to make weekday golf difficult, isn't it?

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname

So I’ve played blades since the 2011 Taylormade MBs came out. I was working at a local country club back then and became close with our Taylormade rep who updated my bag in with the newer ‘14 MBs (when they were released) with C-Taper shafts. I kept those as my gamers until 2018 when i had major shoulder surgery from a hockey Injury. I got the itch to upgrade my bag during my recovery for a “congrats let’s get back out there” present to myself following the 18 month recovery. I ended up building myself a set of from some lightly used p750 heads and the same shafts in anticipation of me not being able to give it the sauce anymore. Shockingly, my game bounced back a bit quicker than i thought. Don’t get me wrong i enjoy the p750s but my eye is drawn to the look of a blade and i feel like my game is strong enough to make the move back. It’s been quite a while since I’ve bought myself new clubs and I’d like to treat myself to something special. Thinking about the p7TW irons or some Miura baby blades? Any thoughts or opinions on what way i should go.

7 hours ago, Bo4taylormade said:

So I’ve played blades since the 2011 Taylormade MBs came out. I was working at a local country club back then and became close with our Taylormade rep who updated my bag in with the newer ‘14 MBs (when they were released) with C-Taper shafts. I kept those as my gamers until 2018 when i had major shoulder surgery from a hockey Injury. I got the itch to upgrade my bag during my recovery for a “congrats let’s get back out there” present to myself following the 18 month recovery. I ended up building myself a set of from some lightly used p750 heads and the same shafts in anticipation of me not being able to give it the sauce anymore. Shockingly, my game bounced back a bit quicker than i thought. Don’t get me wrong i enjoy the p750s but my eye is drawn to the look of a blade and i feel like my game is strong enough to make the move back. It’s been quite a while since I’ve bought myself new clubs and I’d like to treat myself to something special. Thinking about the p7TW irons or some Miura baby blades? Any thoughts or opinions on what way i should go.

Go for it. I would say there are so many choices, you might want to try a bunch of things. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bo4taylormade said:

Were it me, my inclinations would be to look for something a couple generations past, or even the TP MBs you used in the past.  The iron tech in the blade world has been unchanged for quite a while.

I would look to go even older, but I realize not everyone wants to play 80s or 90s sticks.  ?

• Like 2

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

39 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Finally made it happen! -2/68 at my home course yesterday, it's been lurking for awhile now and I've had 2 or 3 rounds now where I've been level par going into the last few holes and ending up 1 or 2 over... So I'm glad to have finally got an under par round in this year, hoping it continues! 

Actually forgot my LW at home cause I was chipping with it so I only had a PW and GW to use, probably the reason why I made sure I hit greens ?

Observations: 

Boring golf = a solid score, hit fairways and greens and you will have a solid round. So simple but man do I make my life difficult sometimes.  

Putting - It's ridiculously important, I've been putting more and more recently, mostly on my putting mat at home in the evenings and it's definitely made a difference. 27 putts yesterday with 12 on the first 9. Invest in your putter and practice! 

Mentality - I was really relaxed out there and I had a clear understanding of how I was going to play each shot. It was great, no stress trying to focus or force anything, just stand up, understand the shot that needs to be hit and hit it. Visualization might just be the next area to work on... 

Bar - Beers taste so much better after a great round 

Congrats Jonesy! Yea, I think we all make the game harder than we should sometimes. Great round!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

16 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Congrats Jonesy! Yea, I think we all make the game harder than we should sometimes. Great round!

Thanks @braincramp52! Appreciate it!

Yeah I know I definitely make it worse for myself when it's not going my way out there... 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Finally made it happen! -2/68 at my home course yesterday, it's been lurking for awhile now and I've had 2 or 3 rounds now where I've been level par going into the last few holes and ending up 1 or 2 over... So I'm glad to have finally got an under par round in this year, hoping it continues! 

Actually forgot my LW at home cause I was chipping with it so I only had a PW and GW to use, probably the reason why I made sure I hit greens ?

Observations: 

Boring golf = a solid score, hit fairways and greens and you will have a solid round. So simple but man do I make my life difficult sometimes.  

Putting - It's ridiculously important, I've been putting more and more recently, mostly on my putting mat at home in the evenings and it's definitely made a difference. 27 putts yesterday with 12 on the first 9. Invest in your putter and practice! 

Mentality - I was really relaxed out there and I had a clear understanding of how I was going to play each shot. It was great, no stress trying to focus or force anything, just stand up, understand the shot that needs to be hit and hit it. Visualization might just be the next area to work on... 

Congratulations! All good observations, but that putting one bites particularly close to the bone with me. Even just putting at home on the mat, I am feeling completely lost with the putter right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Congratulations! All good observations, but that putting one bites particularly close to the bone with me. Even just putting at home on the mat, I am feeling completely lost with the putter right now.

Thanks @No_Catchy_Nickname

I know what you mean about the putting, I used to swap between completely different style putters to try find some magic and to just change up the visual. Maybe give it a shot? Also another reason to buy a new putter ?

I must say even after all the practice I'm still considering a new putter, really intrigued by the slant neck mallets... Hit a few putts with a 34" spider slant neck the other day and it practically swung itself.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Observations: 

Congrats Jonesy.  That's a reasonable round.  ? 

• Like 1