Jump to content

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Bigmean

    2097

  • No_Catchy_Nickname

    1965

  • DeNinny

    1559

  • NRJyzr

    1392

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a decent deal on my dream irons recently and said fk it and got them (EDD check came in clutch). Just about brand new with almost no dings and wrapping still on the grips. These things look even

Brand new goodness. Just ripped these heads off a set of KBS tours. Will eventually build up with AMTs. Not sure I ever want to hit them though.   

Got me a spare set of my beloved FG17s! For $59 figured I couldn’t go wrong. These came 4-P, a 3 iron won’t be hard to come by or I’ll just add my ole trusty Fli-Hi. A little cleaning and fresh grips

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The break in the weather came through gloriously, we actually hit 70*F a couple times.  I got out four times, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

 

I'd decided to participate in the Classic Club Challenge that's being conducted on the site which shall not be named ;), so I set aside my NV105 Golden Rams in favor of clubs with steel shafts.  Something of a Last Hurrah with steel, I guess.  🙂

 

Necessary because I've not yet found the time to reshaft anything with the RIP Tours or Recoil Protos lying in wait.

 

Also did a bit of rotation, playing TW282 Rams for a couple rounds, 1980 Golden Rams for my classic round, and then pulled out the MP37s for my last round.  Complete with the recently acquired 2 iron!  Woo!

 

Managed to play decently well.  The TW282 are interesting, giving thought to using them as one of my graphite sets (this is where too many choices is annoying, though, LOL).  The 1980 Rams were also interesting, they're a bit smaller than the TW282 or TW276 sets, which isn't a bad thing for me.

 

The MP37s were a lot of fun.  Got a kick out of hitting the 2 iron, including almost reaching water I was trying to stay short of on a par 5 tee shot, thanks to a heavy tailwind.  These are slated to be the recipient of the Recoil Proto 125 shafts I'd picked up.

 

Somewhat excited for 2021 to start.  🙂

 

I rotated the MP37's in for several rounds this season and really enjoyed them.  Solid and powerful feeling compared to the super soft feel of some of the other Mizuno's.  I picked up an MP29 2 iron to put in the bag with them.  I was one weekend away form putting them back in when I found a set of 681's that I had to try.    

 

I also found a set of Ram FX Tour Grind blades with 5.5 shafts at Goodwill this weekend.  Sadly no 8 iron.  But I suspect I will eventually run in to one and complete the set.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I rotated the MP37's in for several rounds this season and really enjoyed them.  Solid and powerful feeling compared to the super soft feel of some of the other Mizuno's.  I picked up an MP29 2 iron to put in the bag with them.  I was one weekend away form putting them back in when I found a set of 681's that I had to try.    

 

I also found a set of Ram FX Tour Grind blades with 5.5 shafts at Goodwill this weekend.  Sadly no 8 iron.  But I suspect I will eventually run in to one and complete the set.  

 

FX Nickels, or the FX forged blades?  I've seen a lot of Nickel blade single irons on eBay, but fewer of the forged set from 94-95.

 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

 

FX Nickels, or the FX forged blades?  I've seen a lot of Nickel blade single irons on eBay, but fewer of the forged set from 94-95.

 

 

It is the forged blade.  I used to never buy partial sets, but I've found that if I keep looking there's a good chance I'll eventually run in to the irons that I need.  I've completed two sets of MacGregor MT's, a set of Titleist Tour Models and a set of Spalding Tour Editions this year.  So, maybe I'll get lucky with this one too.

Ram FX 9 Iron.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe S said:

 

It is the forged blade.  I used to never buy partial sets, but I've found that if I keep looking there's a good chance I'll eventually run in to the irons that I need.  I've completed two sets of MacGregor MT's, a set of Titleist Tour Models and a set of Spalding Tour Editions this year.  So, maybe I'll get lucky with this one too.

Ram FX 9 Iron.jpg

Give Ironfinder a call/email. They will make a note and see if they can track one down. They landed me an 8i for a set and were quite reasonable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I bought a used latest model of the Mizuno Fli-hi #4 the other day. It came with the revamped NSPRO GH950 Neo shaft with a stiff flex, which is supposed to produce a high ball flight. 

I took it to the range the other day and hit it alongside my normal MP4 4i. Now my normal 4i shaft is an Attas 115X carbon shaft for irons at 38.75" (1/2" longer than standard), and the loft is 24*. The Fli-hi shaft is a regular 38.25", and the loft is 22*.

 

Here's what was odd. I was seeing a much higher ball flight with the MP4 4i than the fli-hi, much more than could be explained by the 2* difference in loft. 

The GH 950 Neo is supposed to get the ball up in the air, but I was just hitting low bullets. Funny thing is, I wasn't seeing much difference in carry. What's up with that?

 

As for results, well, overall the fli-hi was easier to hit. I think the shorter shaft helps there (I like longer shafts in my short irons, but not so much in the long irons). But I *want* the ball flight I was getting with the MP4 4i.

 

One final disclaimer. I had a dodgy back yesterday, so I was only swinging about 75% of my normal swing. May get a higher ball flight with my normal thrash.

I have an older FLi-hi 4 iron too. As it turns out the MR23 long irons are about my favorite clubs. 

 

It sounds you are ripe for a one length iron experiment or at the very least a more progressive set-up. I've been approaching the idea of having a set where the clubs are all between say 5-iron and 9-iron length, or even more condensed. It doesn't seem like such a radical idea... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

Brand new goodness. Just ripped these heads off a set of KBS tours. Will eventually build up with AMTs. Not sure I ever want to hit them though. 
 

6B072DA3-AFF9-488F-8E49-CC95C72080BA.jpeg.6c1c3c97e989ceb40d6bb695c39d7094.jpeg

These are some of the best looking irons ever I reckon, great purchase! 

Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 14.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Echoing @Jonesy here, but I've long thought the J15 MBs are some of the cleanest blades around. When you ship them to C_T_S, could you miswrite the address slightly so they end up at my place instead of his?

 

Thanks in advance😁

Could they take a detour past me as well? 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 14.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boggyman said:

 Miss mine. Great irons for sure!


yeah, they have to battle my VR pros...so it won’t be an easy task to dethrone. I’ve become pretty fond of longer heel-toe blades over the last few years.  I think the CG will be a bit lower on these...so they may actually be better for me as thin is my miss. 

Edited by Golfrnut

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
Odyssey MXM 1W

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:


yeah, they have to battle my VR pros...so it won’t be an easy task to dethrone. I’ve become pretty fond of longer heel-toe blades over the last few years.  I think the CG will be a bit lower on these...so they may actually be better for me as thin is my miss. 

I gained a half to a full club with them. Even had Px 5.5 to boot. Oh well, still have my trusty FG 17s that have, AGAIN, made the bag, this time to stay. I’ve got a spare set of them. I’m set! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Circa 1968, FX-101's. These are back in my bag since July, and my handicap is now five points lower since then too. Ok, the FGv4's that I replaced these with in Dec2019, weren't fitted to me. They're too light and getting the tempo right was just difficult. 

Owned these since '90. These are....heaven. Small face, forces focus and discipline. No bounce and knife-like leading edge gives a fighting chance of getting out of anything(no rough too tuff, or hardpan for that matter). Stiff and hefty, fits my tempo and acceleration tendency. It is so valuable to have the intuitive, instant, linear feedback on mis-hits. These are high rpm, so they also fly high, go straight, and will gouge and check up to any firmness of green.

Check out the pinned shaft. Check out the hex shape to portions of the shaft. Always love hosel knurlling. Cheers.

1115201459_HDR.jpg

1115201500.jpg

1115201501.jpg

1115201501b.jpg

1115201503.jpg

1115201503a.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went out for early-morning round, teeing-off at first light. It was warm for November, about 14~15*C, or high 50s in Fahrenheit. I had a tale of two nines.

So I wasn't warmed up, there was nowhere to practice beforehand, and I was suffering from some back pain. Off to the first tee, a pretty benign par 5.

Lousy drive, OK 7w, made the green with my third only to three-putt for a bogey. Another 3-putt bogey followed on the second, then a triple after I sent my 4w tee shot sailing out of bounds and missed a 5-footer for a double. I was misreading the greens and not comfortable with my putting stroke.

Finally got my first par of the day with a six iron to the par-3 fourth, but followed that with two doubles after going OoB both times. 

Three-putted the par-3 seventh for a bogey, then made two regulation pars to finish with smooth 46.

Started the back nine with a bogey after stymieing myself beind a tree off the tee (still managed to salvage a chance at par, but left the putt on the lip), saved par from the bunker on the eleventh, bogeyed the tough twelfth, and missed a 5-footer for par on the thirteenth (lipped out). Then went par-birdie-par-par-par to finish with a 38 on the back nine. 46-38 = one of my biggest score differentials. 

 

So what was different? Three Out-of-bounds on the front nine versus none on the back certainly counted. I was more careful with my tee shots, but the main difference was putting. 21 putts on the front nine compared to 14 on the back. My chipping and pitching was good throughout the round, but on the back nine I was converting the 4-footers or six-footers for par, whereas on the front I was missing everything. 

I've worked hard on my short game a lot this last year or so, and it's paying off. I didn't mind missing greens (usually a little left) with my irons, or finding a bunker, because I had the confidence to chip or pitch it close. In fact, pretty much all my best shots today were chips, pitches, or bunker escapes, the best being a 90 yard gap wedge from a tough lie in the bunker (ball below my feet) to 3-foot for my only birdie.

 

Cliff notes: most of my game sucked today

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 12:34 PM, Joe S said:

I also found a set of Ram FX Tour Grind blades with 5.5 shafts at Goodwill this weekend.  Sadly no 8 iron.  But I suspect I will eventually run in to one and complete the set.  

Wow, congrats!  That's an incredible find.

  • Like 1

Srixon Z785, Cleve persimmon 3W, Ram TW276 3-PW, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 6:57 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

 

They could end up being the best-travelled irons ever!

Count me in for a crack at them too!  Lol

 

Actually,  it's a really cool idea.  Someone builds a sweet set of blades and we all play a round or two with them then send them on to the next in line.  Everyone does a review with pics.  Sounds like fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

Count me in for a crack at them too!  Lol

 

Actually,  it's a really cool idea.  Someone builds a sweet set of blades and we all play a round or two with them then send them on to the next in line.  Everyone does a review with pics.  Sounds like fun!


i’m in for that. I have a set of j15’s with x1’s, standard length... I was gunna have KBS do their new “retro build” option to get some tour v’s installed +1/2”, but I’d rather cancel that and start the sloppy seconds iron guild and pass them around. I’m serious, who’s first?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 golf? The best of times, the worst of times, lol. Never have I had so much and accomplished so much less. Last Sunday, shot 88. I four putted .....twice. I three putted.....twice. I airmailed the greens with pitch/chips, three times. I hit my metals better and with less apprehension than ever (talking 3 decades) and yet this season only had one eagle putt and rarely had a legit birdie putt on a par 5. My wedge & putters are in Yip Ville and my iron game which hovered at 10 GIR last year dropped to 7.

 

Yet, I'm not miserable. Big hiccup in my game is I don't "cover the ball" with my torso. My trail shoulder and right pec are not leading the charge enough. My left hip does not pull back hard enough to create that space to do this. I now  "know this", sometimes I get it all to late in a round but I never have played 18 holes owning it or whacked 120 balls on the range cementing it. I did today, at the range that is and man does it work. So, I got what, maybe a month to lay it down on the course and see if something comes of it.

 

Great gear is the gear that never gets the blame. My bag is pure as Mother Theresa here. It's amazing how little they matter in all this. All 14 too. Cheers.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Yet, I'm not miserable. Big hiccup in my game is I don't "cover the ball" with my torso. My trail shoulder and right pec are not leading the charge enough. My left hip does not pull back hard enough to create that space to do this. I now  "know this", sometimes I get it all to late in a round but I never have played 18 holes owning it or whacked 120 balls on the range cementing it. I did today, at the range that is and man does it work. So, I got what, maybe a month to lay it down on the course and see if something comes of it.

 

 

In my efforts to correct my flip, I realised I was jerking my left hip and shoulder to try and clear them out of the way. I'd violently pull them at the start of the downswing, then they'd freeze as the rest of my body caught up. This morning I started working on a smoother hip turn and was getting good results. In other words, I had been pulling back too hard with the left side. Still going left on some shots, but nowhere near as much as before, and I'm not getting that violent top-spin dipping ball flight that I had over the summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

 

In my efforts to correct my flip, I realised I was jerking my left hip and shoulder to try and clear them out of the way. I'd violently pull them at the start of the downswing, then they'd freeze as the rest of my body caught up. This morning I started working on a smoother hip turn and was getting good results. In other words, I had been pulling back too hard with the left side. Still going left on some shots, but nowhere near as much as before, and I'm not getting that violent top-spin dipping ball flight that I had over the summer.

Interesting, I could be going there too. The hip thing has always been tricky for me. I was a big slider forever, then a restrictor, then a rotator but I fell into this thing where left dips into ball too much or right fires too much. So latest thing is to "step back" right on back swing, step back left on down. This is something taught by Mike Malaska and it works beautifully when done correct. The other issue is a tendency for me to turn hip too much, too early so how the the 1st quarter of takeaway happens matters. Btw, that fault is responsible for some awful wedge play. So I'm all thumbs at the hips, lol.

 

The "cover the ball" intent  which for me means, get right pec down and through the ball is bigger deal. I'm forever an arm/hands levered hitter.  Steep & cheap with abundant hand speed but it gets old to use exquisite timing to translate it next level ball striking. It does not help with the dispersion aspect either. Becoming truly more crunched & truly more rotated at impact is pretty much the exact opposite of what this caveman has been doing for decades. So I'm somewhat forgiving of myself for screwing this up time & time again. Getting there though. Looking forward to next round, "man up, pec down!" for all 18, lol.

 

 

 

Edited by Nard_S
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Interesting, I could be going there too. The hip thing has always been tricky for me. I was a big slider forever, then a restrictor, then a rotator but I fell into this thing where left dips into ball too much or right fires too much. So latest thing is to "step back" right on back swing, step back left on down. This is something taught by Mike Malaska and it works beautifully when done correct. The other issue is a tendency for me to turn hip too much, too early so how the the 1st quarter of takeaway happens matters. Btw, that fault is responsible for some awful wedge play. So I'm all thumbs at the hips, lol.

 

The "cover the ball" intent  which for me means, get right pec down and through the ball is bigger deal. I'm forever an arm/hands levered hitter.  Steep & cheap with abundant hand speed but it gets old to use exquisite timing to translate it next level ball striking. It does not help with the dispersion aspect either. Becoming truly more crunched & truly more rotated at impact is pretty much the exact opposite of what this caveman has been doing for decades. So I'm somewhat forgiving of myself for screwing this up time & time again. Getting there though. Looking forward to next round, "man up, pec down!" for all 18, lol.

 

 

 

 

I tried the right pec idea today. Works well, better than trying to get the right shoulder through, though it seems to be a similar idea. I tried the right shoulder idea a few months ago to cure my flip, but it didn't work. The right pec down and through was much easier, and helped achieve a better rhythm. My guess is because the pecs are near the axis of the swing, so it's easier to turn it with the body core. Dunno, but I liked the results.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

 

I tried the right pec idea today. Works well, better than trying to get the right shoulder through, though it seems to be a similar idea. I tried the right shoulder idea a few months ago to cure my flip, but it didn't work. The right pec down and through was much easier, and helped achieve a better rhythm. My guess is because the pecs are near the axis of the swing, so it's easier to turn it with the body core. Dunno, but I liked the results.

Works better, right? Of course I have thoughts on this as to why. 🙂  I'll spare that for now but I've done the shoulder to ball thing and it's not near as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...