Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

So last round of the year for me, and my first in about a month. It was reasonably warm for December here, but windy.

I was playing my Mizuno MS-7s (5-SW) with a 60* Callaway MD2 T-grind, new model Mizuno FLi-hi 4i, and then my regular hybrid, 7w, 4w, driver combination. Pretty good set up, overall.

In practice, I am about 60~70% over my flip problem that's been plaguing me for the last year or so, but today on the course, I flipped about 70% of my irons. Woods were OK, but my iron play was probably the weakest part of my game. For example, on one par 5, downwind, I hit a big driver and left about 190 to the flag. I figured a 6i would easily be enough to reach the green, but I flipped my first one OB and slightly flipped my next effort into the far lip of a bunker. Good shot out to about 10ft considering I was standing outside the bunker and the ball was right up against the side wall, but I still walked off with a double.

Funny thing was I thought I putted well, but I still had three 3-putts. Greens were really fast and treacherous. Anything above the hole was a nightmare. I was the only one in my group of four NOT to have a 4-putt. But my 36 putts could have been reduced to around 30 or so.

Lastly, I've been practising my short game a lot this last year. Today, my short game was satisfyingly disappointing. I had some good up-and-downs, but should have made more. That said, almost every chip and pitch from 80yds I had led to a decent birdie or par save chance (at a minimum within 10-12ft), which was unthinkable last year when I was duffing chips and blasting pitches all over the place. That I can look back at my short game today and not be satisfied with it shows me how much it has improved over the year. What was disappointing was that 2 of those birdie chances ended up with 3-putts🥴

Anyway, I shot 42-40 for one of the laziest 82s I've ever had.

• Like 4

I hear you. It really is all about short game to bring scoring down. My 94 was a 50 on the front and a 44 on the back. 

But my putting and chipping was much better than usual, for no real reason. I was paying a lot of attention to my form on chips since I was so rusty, and I guess I overcompensated my way into good play. My initial putts were also lagged very well. Ultimately, I had only one 3 putt, got up and down once to save par, got out of bunkers in one, and had 3 GIR. 

I wound up carding a birdie, 3 pars, and 7 bogies on my way to my 94. 

All in all, not a bad round with blades in the bag and almost a year's worth of rust. 

On the virus side, I've had to just chalk this up as a lost year. My fiancé is a doctor and my dad is a dentist, so even though I'm younger, I'm a much higher risk of being a carrier. So, I basically decided to drop my regular early morning tennis group, who were all 50+, and I don't play golf with random pairings or hit the range. My loved ones are on the priority vaccination list because of their health care work, so once that happens, I'll be less worried about jeapordizing others. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

2 years out of college and she finds herself on the front lines of this pandemic!? I honestly can't even imagine how hard that must be.

Funny, she's been the old soul that keeps it real. Someone right now is probably writing a "Blackhawk Down" on this. This is not war but if it was, it's more Vietnam, than Desert Storm. It is so random, she tells me these absurd circumstances that have befallen folks. Front liner's will come away with challenges from this. They are the grunts. We are holed up in the bunkers, we may get shelled, might have nothing left to return to but they go out to take the high ground everyday. They see the fallen up close and think little of their own work & themselves. We'll all be picking up the pieces for a while. My girl is already talking about a post ICU life. Burnt out before turning 25. The vaccine is a godsend. So I give thanks that there's a lit exit to this dark place we all find ourselves.

• Sad 2

Based on some recent threads, it seems like we've gained a blade brother recently...

🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

32 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Based on some recent threads, it seems like we've gained a blade brother recently...

🙂

You talking about me? 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

4 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

You talking about me? 🙂 🙂 🙂 

You know, it's entirely possible.  LOL

Welcome to Club Blades.  🙂

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Using "beginner" blades so not sure if I fully qualify yet. LOL

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

A much friendlier place in here it seems👍👍

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

1 minute ago, hypergolf said:

In all the ruckus, I've forgotten what you went with.  Did you get the Z Forged?

1 minute ago, Jimjam651 said:

A much friendlier place in here it seems👍👍

I would agree.  I also admit to a bias.  😉

A hearty welcome to you also, if we haven't welcomed you earlier.  <tip cap>

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I would agree.  I also admit to a bias.  😉

A hearty welcome to you also, if we haven't welcomed you earlier.  <tip cap>

Haha thanks! I'm a bit of a blade pretender / thread reader only!  Dabble with a set of Mizuno mp 68s now & then but always come back to the 919 tours

• Like 1

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

In all the ruckus, I've forgotten what you went with.  Did you get the Z Forged?

Yup Z Forged

• Like 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Nothing beginner about the Z-forged. 🙂 

@Jimjam651 919 tours are also nice. Reminds me of my MP-4s--I give the slight edge to my MP-4s on feel and topline but it's pretty close. Although, I think my favorite out of the current MP line is actually the MMC.

The MP20 MB topline is actually thicker than the MMC when you put them side by side. It's unnatural. 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, revanant said:

Nothing beginner about the Z-forged. 🙂 

@Jimjam651 919 tours are also nice. Reminds me of my MP-4s--I give the slight edge to my MP-4s on feel and topline but it's pretty close. Although, I think my favorite out of the current MP line is actually the MMC.

The MP20 MB topline is actually thicker than the MMC when you put them side by side. It's unnatural. 🙂

Yeah the 919 tours are pretty good, maybe a bit too much offset for my liking.  I need to test the numbers but I'm considering bending them to 4 degree gaps starting with the PW at 48 degrees.  It'll solve the offset issue if the gapping works correctly

The MP20 is a weird blade, its pretty big without being offensive.  To be fair thats one of the things I like about Mizuno irons, you often get a lot of 'face' at address compared to some blades that seem much smaller

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

21 hours ago, Jimjam651 said:

Haha thanks! I'm a bit of a blade pretender / thread reader only!  Dabble with a set of Mizuno mp 68s now & then but always come back to the 919 tours

Ah, there's no purity test here.....it's more an attitude....an outlook.  I was looking at the 919T's awhile back. Nice clubs.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I've seen the Radar clubheads here and there, online, but know virtually nothing about them.

Edited by NRJyzr
Yay autocorrect!

50 minutes ago, Sonja Henie said:

I just got here. Do I have to read all 711 pages before posting? 

Maybe the first page, or even just Bigmean's initial post.

Or maybe not even that much.  😉

With me switching to graphite for 2021, my vote would be the baby blades, as they're your only graphite option.  🙂

The P7TW might be interesting, also.