Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

15 minutes ago, Sonja Henie said:

Is there any actual difference between these two S300 shafts other than the visual? The older blades I see have the traditional small DG band just under the grip but I see newer clubs with the graphic written down the shaft. Thanks 

98962A24-BDE8-4C8E-82F3-B1588D017ACF.jpeg

4FE51B65-A9F1-4774-A02D-CAF2EF50711D.jpeg

The difference here is weight. DG profile but one is 105 grams vs 130 grams. There is also a 120g model. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Miura Tour Issue MC-501 (Low Offset) DG Pro X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigmean

• No_Catchy_Nickname

• DeNinny

• NRJyzr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a decent deal on my dream irons recently and said fk it and got them (EDD check came in clutch). Just about brand new with almost no dings and wrapping still on the grips. These things look even

Brand new goodness. Just ripped these heads off a set of KBS tours. Will eventually build up with AMTs. Not sure I ever want to hit them though.   

Funnily enough, I was having a similar sort of discussion yesterday on a thread in the Classic Golf Forum. I'd like to build a set with a PW starting at 36" then go in 3/8" increments, meaning longer

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Sonja Henie said:

So are the old ones that came standard on clubs from 15+ years ago generally all 130 grams? 

If you go a bit farther back, their specs were lighter than 130g, but its because the raw shafts were two inches shorter.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

14 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Thanks @Kingcat990! I reckon it's closer to an FH1000 kind of satin, a lighter satin finish. It's just enough to reduce glare but still has a "gloss" to it.

Ahh, just a frosted look. Yeah, you're taking the right path with the sandpaper. Tumbling them in a tumbler with a coarse media will do it too. If you reload ammo, a brass tumbler works, just use coarse media. Creates a uniform finish all around without removing the chrome. Can get a tumbler from Harbor Freight. Return it when you're done I suppose. Media is cheap. Be a lot easier on those wrists and fingers of yours. I tumble after I deplate the chrome on my heads. I've also just tumbled chrome heads. Works great. 24hrs will do it. Ceramic medias will get glare off without removing the plate. 

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

13 minutes ago, Awainer1 said:

ive checked those out the lofts are insanely strong lol

Yes. Its not a 4-P set, its really like 2-8 or 3-9. A 42°PW is very un-blade like. This set also does that weird reverse offset BS. First set I have ever had that has it. Little offset in the long irons, offset in the short irons. I went into the purchase expecting they would have a high chance of being paperweights. They're really quite swell though. I just have an 8° gap in my scoring irons now I'll have to rectify if the set stays in the bag. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Yes. Its not a 4-P set, its really like 2-8 or 3-9. A 42°PW is very un-blade like. This set also does that weird reverse offset BS. First set I have ever had that has it. Little offset in the long irons, offset in the short irons. I went into the purchase expecting they would have a high chance of being paperweights. They're really quite swell though. I just have an 8° gap in my scoring irons now I'll have to rectify if the set stays in the bag. 

A 42* PW in a set of blades?? Why, JBeam, why!??

The reverse offset is a feature of a lot of Japanese irons, though I think it's more prevalent on the older models. I don't mind a little, but I've bought sets in the past where's it's just too much.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Ahh, just a frosted look. Yeah, you're taking the right path with the sandpaper. Tumbling them in a tumbler with a coarse media will do it too. If you reload ammo, a brass tumbler works, just use coarse media. Creates a uniform finish all around without removing the chrome. Can get a tumbler from Harbor Freight. Return it when you're done I suppose. Media is cheap. Be a lot easier on those wrists and fingers of yours. I tumble after I deplate the chrome on my heads. I've also just tumbled chrome heads. Works great. 24hrs will do it. Ceramic medias will get glare off without removing the plate. 

Pretty much the frosted look! I'm liking it, if I want to make it a deeper finish I'll definitely look at tumbling, I never even thought of that! 

I'm almost finished with the set, my fingers and hands will thank me 😆

• Like 1

Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 14.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport

17 hours ago, Sonja Henie said:

What’s the long-term effect of the satin treatment? Do they change color over time or generally stay that satin look? How much more would you have to take off to get to a raw finish? Thanks 

They should stay the same over time, essentially you're just scratching the surface of the chrome to dull it so the plating is still there but it's just been scratched. If you want to remove the chrome entirely I'd take it to a professional that deals in plating, from what I've read it's a nasty process. 

• Like 1

Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

A 42* PW in a set of blades?? Why, JBeam, why!??

The reverse offset is a feature of a lot of Japanese irons, though I think it's more prevalent on the older models. I don't mind a little, but I've bought sets in the past where's it's just too much.

I know. It's strange and obscure for blades, but Jbeam has always been obsessed with pure distance. The short irons have 2-4mm of offset. It's strange to look at, but once I started swinging them, I didn't even notice, or forced myself not to see it. Their performance in all aspects besides distance was really good though. Loft for loft, they're a blade. 42° PW is pretty disgusting though 🤨

7 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Pretty much the frosted look! I'm liking it, if I want to make it a deeper finish I'll definitely look at tumbling, I never even thought of that! 

I'm almost finished with the set, my fingers and hands will thank me 😆

Yeah man, I did the sanding myself at one point. After a few years, you get desperate and start researching other possibilities. The tumbler is a set and forget. If they get too dull, you can bring them back with polishing medias, or just steel wool and other pads. Can't wait to see them when you're done. 

20 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

If you weaken the lofts, you'll reduce the offset and get more sensible lofts.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Yeah man, I did the sanding myself at one point. After a few years, you get desperate and start researching other possibilities. The tumbler is a set and forget. If they get too dull, you can bring them back with polishing medias, or just steel wool and other pads. Can't wait to see them when you're done. 

@Kingcat990 could you post some pics of the PW or 9 iron at address? looking into getting a set of these irons

6 minutes ago, vakaviti said:

@Kingcat990 could you post some pics of the PW or 9 iron at address? looking into getting a set of these irons

First is PW

Second is 9i

Third is my Masda PW, which has been my baseline the last 3 years

20210113_172835.jpg

20210113_172732.jpg

20210113_172644.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vakaviti said:

I will end up buying them for sure, might be a silly question but how do you find them on mishits? Obviously with the stronger lofts they are quite distance orientated 

Punishing. Not like an 80's or 90's blade. You'll still get the ball down the fairway, but it costs you if you're way out on the toe. PW to PW, they'll be the longest PW you've ever hit in a blade format, loft for loft, they're really consistent with everyone else's offerings. I actually find this whole set easier to hit than my Masda's. 

6 hours ago, db2 said:

If you weaken the lofts, you'll reduce the offset and get more sensible lofts.

Oh yeah, I'm considering it. I don't want to mess with their "magic" right now though 😄. I would also miss out on a chance to buy a new club. I explained it to my wife, she agrees 8° gap in scoring irons is egregious. 

1 hour ago, Kingcat990 said:

First is PW

Second is 9i

Third is my Masda PW, which has been my baseline the last 3 years

20210113_172835.jpg

20210113_172732.jpg

20210113_172644.jpg

The wedges from my Maruman's have as much or more reverse offset on 52 & 56. It's really a not an issue. I'm use to it, I use them, find that opening the face is even better. They seem to be more flexible. The 681's have 2 mm across the set, which is neutral I guess. My Hogan's had more.

So what is neutral? 2mm?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Nard_S said:

The wedges from my Maruman's have as much or more reverse offset on 52 & 56. It's really a not an issue. I'm use to it, I use them, find that opening the face is even better. They seem to be more flexible. The 681's have 2 mm across the set, which is neutral I guess. My Hogan's had more.

So what is neutral? 2mm?

I'm not really sure what's neutral. Going from the most minimal, or zero, into a set that has slight, wasn't overtly terrible. It probably benefitted me quite well, as my clean contact percentage was way up from bottom to top. Its just strange to see reverse offset when so many USOEM preach the opposite. Used to seeing that offset in 4i's, not PW's. The only other set I've messed around with that had reverse offset remnance were an older set of Bridgestones that had a massive tear drop wedge. I can't even recall their model. JPN III or something like that. I can't remember. Gorgeous set of musclebacks. You or NCN are going to know which set I'm referencing. Early 90's. When I say big PW, I mean, it looked like a huge tear drop. You'd think it weighed 500gms on appearances alone.

9 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Offset seems a much more consequential thing in mid and long irons. On SW, hate to admit, it makes sense and it's such a non issue. Put 4mm of it on a #5i and I'm gagging. 

You have piqued my interest. Now I want to try it. 

1 hour ago, Sonja Henie said:

Would this be same for any modern shaft?  That the weight on the label is more than what it is when on the head because the shaft has been cut?  

Well pretty much yes. Most shafts have a 2" headroom. On a full weight DG , it's about 4g / inch. I just did a Super Peening Blue build and trim was 1", so net was 123g. 

OEM site's have spec details that give you better picture. The WRX Club Tech section is pretty informative. Howard Jones & Stuart_G are resident professors. There's a trove of info there.

Back to your shaft dilemma. Quite a gap in weight between XP105 and DG S300. There are in between options but a bigger question is what really works for you? What's your wheel house? Might be good to find a Mizuno Optimizer, pretend you're looking new, get a recommendation, go from there. Most important decision, especially with MB's.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Finished! liking these, should take at least 2 shots off my round this afternoon... that's how it works right?

20210116_091856.jpg.35b0a6f21ae3f82d0c0890bfb354bab1.jpg

Look great. I have the raw version. They started like this. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made - M4  8.5*
Srixon H45 - 16*

Callaway Xforged 3 iron TI S400

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW TI S400 

Cleveland 588 series, 51*, 60*
YES - Callie i4Tech C-Groove
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/

14 minutes ago, NixLix26 said:

Look great. I have the raw version. They started like this. 

Thanks @NixLix26 

The raw versions look great I must say, that might have to happen in the future

Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport