2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

45 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

They may have been yours, lol. Offset is a bunch but the lie is a killer for me. I'm 5'9", With standard lie  have to work to lift handle at impact to evenly take a divot. Or if I "pure it" ball is left of target. Which is fine but I'm draw biased already. With SX irons that are comparably flat hit exact window and the lie is what's doing it.

Had to look at your pics a few posts back, those are the ones I sold as I had the extra wedges with them.

Well I finally sold my Nike Forged Blades, my first blade set which I got a few years ago. Somewhat regret it but I haven't used them since I got my Srixon irons in late 2019. Those Nikes are definitely one of the all time best blade sets, not many other irons out there that are also a complete package in terms of looks, performance, and feel. Ever since I got them I've become much more interested in gear and equipment and also trying to improve at the game. I'll miss them but at least someone else will be able to enjoy those irons. 

• Sad 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

Okay, so I’ve never considered myself a blade user, but I’m being forced into being one somehow.

Long story short, a member at the country club I work at is giving me his old irons. This alone wouldn’t be a problem, but these irons… they’re Seven MB’s with Crazy Dead Black shafts in them.

I literally built my own i210 set this week, but being the club ho that I am, My hand has been forced. I am now a blade user. Hi guys, I’m new here.

• Like 2

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

2 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

Okay, so I’ve never considered myself a blade user, but I’m being forced into being one somehow.

Long story short, a member at the country club I work at is giving me his old irons. This alone wouldn’t be a problem, but these irons… they’re Seven MB’s with Crazy Dead Black shafts in them.

I literally built my own i210 set this week, but being the club ho that I am, My hand has been forced. I am now a blade user. Hi guys, I’m new here.

yeah even if I was playing SGI shovels and have no business to play blades I would take that opportunity with the Seven MB

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

Hey, I moved to a combo set because I wanted to push myself and built a full blade set within a few months.

I mentioned in another thread I just got my split cavities and while there is some forgiveness there, I am not sure it's enough to impact my scores. The blades are funner to hit, too. Even if I'm far from "good enough".

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I played today with my MP4s in the bag, the first time I have played them in a while, Actually, it was my first round in three weeks so I was a bit rusty overall.

Anyway, the MP4s with the carbon shaft (Attas 115X) are a really easy combination for me. Much less effort than steel. 

I've lots of steel-shafted sets that I like, but carbon is the way forward for me. It also helps that the shafts are a bit longer than standard.

So, front nine was a disaster. The irons were the only good thing, with a few good drives included. I was eleven over after nine, mainly due to a quad on a short par 4 after I chilly dipped and double hit two chips, then a triple on the following par five due, mostly but not exclusively to bad wedge play. 20 putts didn't help either.

Back nine was very different. Finished up shooting par with 3 or 4 shots left on the greens. I had a run of three birdie chances within 5 foot, and only made one, the shortest which was 3ft. The following hole, a 165y par 3 downhill and down wind I hit a lovely 9 iron to about 5ft....missed it. 

Next hole, a par 5, I hit a good drive, shite hybrid (got a problem here), great gap wedge 5ft from a blind pin...and missed the putt.

Eleven over front nine, level par back nine, and the only bogey on the back was from a 3-putt. 

Irons were the best part of the game today, no doubt about it. 

My favourite was a 5i on a tough uphill par 3. It wasn't close to the pin, but it was hit really well, and did what it needed to do for me to make par. Sweet shot.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
corrected par 5 to par 3 in last paragraph.
  • Like 3

Teeing off in three hours in a Men's Club event.  Its the annual Red/White/Blue event, where you play six holes from each set of tees, at your discretion.  An extra bit of strategy to the game.  🙂

There are three par 5 holes on the course, on the surface, it might seem like all three are good choices for red tee holes.  But, two of them give you trees to navigate, and provide tee angles that have you looking to aim at OB, drawing off that.

Less attractive than I may care for.  😉

The par 3's on the back (13 & 16) are 175 and 196 from white tees, and 130-something from red tees.  #16 is a prime red tee choice, #13 is a game time decision.

In the bag will be the MP37s with Recoil Proto 125 that I've been using.  There's a chance of rain, which bothers me rather less than in the past, with GripMaster grips in play.

A last bladey note... I find myself missing my Ram Tour Grinds.  I think I need to get more serious about my reshaft efforts with my Vibration Matched Golden Rams.  Time to get with the program.  🤔😁

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

16 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Teeing off in three hours in a Men's Club event.  Its the annual Red/White/Blue event, where you play six holes from each set of tees, at your discretion.  An extra bit of strategy to the game.  🙂

There are three par 5 holes on the course, on the surface, it might seem like all three are good choices for red tee holes.  But, two of them give you trees to navigate, and provide tee angles that have you looking to aim at OB, drawing off that.

Less attractive than I may care for.  😉

The par 3's on the back (13 & 16) are 175 and 196 from white tees, and 130-something from red tees.  #16 is a prime red tee choice, #13 is a game time decision.

In the bag will be the MP37s with Recoil Proto 125 that I've been using.  There's a chance of rain, which bothers me rather less than in the past, with GripMaster grips in play.

A last bladey note... I find myself missing my Ram Tour Grinds.  I think I need to get more serious about my reshaft efforts with my Vibration Matched Golden Rams.  Time to get with the program.  🤔😁

I like that idea of choosing which tee to hit from, obviously with the proviso that you have to play six holes from each different tee. As you say, you have to think about the distance and lines. There's a course I've been playing a bit recently which is like that; you really need to thing about the carry distance and angle for a lot of tee shots otherwise you're going to end up in trouble. With the distance I hit, the regular members' tees are the hardest. From the back tees, I don't have the distance to reach the trouble (like driving through a dogleg and going OB), and from the front tees, I'd just be hitting 4w or 7w off the tee, or, depending on the hole, hitting driver knowing that I can easily cut a dogleg. From the members' tees, all that trouble comes into play.

On the subject of putting carbon shafts in classic irons....it's not something I'm ready to do yet, but I am considering it in the future for sure. I have to say, I prefer the "thump" of steel shafts, but yesterday the carbon shafts felt so much easier to swing.

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

On the subject of putting carbon shafts in classic irons....it's not something I'm ready to do yet, but I am considering it in the future for sure. I have to say, I prefer the "thump" of steel shafts, but yesterday the carbon shafts felt so much easier to swing.

For me, all about vibration dampening.  Trying to be able to keep playing without pain.  🙂

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

May not be exactly right place to ask but my son wants zero offset blade irons. I know KZG makes or made them but they seem tough to find these days. Any other irons with no offset that are blades?  Thanks all. 

They have offset, just not much. Most blades have minimal offset, if they are a muscle back blade. My OG KZG blades are minimal.

KZG_forgedirons_ZOplus_2.jpg

Edited by lefthack
  • Thanks 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

May not be exactly right place to ask but my son wants zero offset blade irons. I know KZG makes or made them but they seem tough to find these days. Any other irons with no offset that are blades?  Thanks all. 

The Titleist 620MB has minimal offset; some, but not a lot. Probably the least offset I've seen in a major OEM's blade in a while. 

Didn't Miura put out a zero offset iron recently? Think it was a blade, but I don't really follow what Miura is up to for the sake of my bank balance.

Also, hard to find, but Yonex's Ezone MB had very, very little offset. 

• Thanks 1

Ping Blueprints, Titleist 620 (whatever there is you could bend out)

I think it's better to just get used to a little offset. It's easy for me to say because I grew up playing with Ping Eye2s. But, virtually everything 99.6 percent of blades have some. The only big name player I know that plays no-offset, and I am sure there are a few more but I can't think of any, is RF.

I have a set of Maruman Conductors 400C. Absolutely sick from the back. Then, you look down and it's like a bladed ping. They are bent flat too, similar to how a Hogan iron sets up. For the longest time, I didn't want to hit them. They just collected dust.

Well, I took the 6-iron to the range the other day and to my shock I could hit fades with them, without any effort.

Seems pretty counterintuitive.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

If you're willing to go old school, Tommy Armour 986 Tours are the zeroest of the zero offset.  They may well have onset.

Of the newer irons, 649mb from Sub 70.  0.5mm offset, per their specs.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, DevilDog said:

JMHO. Anything less than 2mm should be considered onset.  The shaft is 9mm, the hosel is (about) 13mm, so radially there's 4mm difference divided by two which equals 2mm, so that's 2mm (or .078" or just over a 5/64") to get the leading edge & shaft to visually meet. What does that mean to me? That number is "the neutral" number. Believe Titleist is 1.5 mm, but 2.5mm -3mm is common, at 4mm (99 Hogan's) it gets somewhat noticeable.

My wedges are 3mm but my irons are 1.5mm. Love both of them.

Edited by Nard_S
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

The 986 tour are definitely on my radar, but they are unicorns. I saw some on a FB market place in the Vancouver area, but slept on them, so... there's that.

This should be the big weekend as far as cleaning out and posting sets of irons for sale. I've narrowed down a list of keepers. Trying to keep it to 5, but it will definitely expand.

I'm keeping Daiwa Pro ss-1. They have minimal offset, nice shape and may take them to get stripped in Osaka in two weeks.

I've got 2&7/8 sets of Founders Club 200 series. The JDM model is finally going to get the right shaft

Daiwa DG-8201 - Square toe, decent shaft - just need new grips.

Mac PRO82 Miura. They have FM6.5 Long irons fly higher than any I've hit in my life. Just have to figure out the short irons. Feel is pretty much unmatched.

I'd like to give the BS MR23 MB more of a test, but I'm not sure which shaft they have in them. Some sort of rifle 5.5, 6.0 or something. Perils of yahoo auction sometimes.

Finally Maxfli DP-601. They have constant offset through the set. Not a lot, but it's visible. The double nickel satin finish is awesome. I have double nickel chrome in a few sets and it's nice, but the finish on these, similar to the Miz Super 11 is something else. These might get some sort of rock star treatment  - Modus 105X might be a good match.

Yeah, I think 5 sets is manageable.

So the set of Bridgestone Proisme is getting the chop? That had to be a hard decision to make.

More to the point, are you sure there aren't any other sets you've stashed around the house that you've forgotten about?🤣

• Like 2

Happy 4rth! 

So played yesterday, 40/42, felt good, best of lackluster season so far. Highlight, 125 yard approach on par 5, stiffed to 8 feet, dropped it for birdie. Some solid putts too. Big plus came using knockdown approach shots exclusively on 1st six holes. Need to stick with that a lot more. Setup of shaft & head is ideal for it too. Love towering iron shots but really loved stiffing a trap fade 7i from 140 & iffy lie.

• Like 3

Hello all, been a few years since I was a WRX frequenter. This thread was always my favorite place on the site.

Picked up a sub70 639 combo set last year; 4-7 CB and 8-pw MB with 48/52/56 wedges from sub70 also. Some aldila NV 85 shafts in the irons and KBS tour stiff in the wedges. Really loving my irons. Great ball flight, and they feel great when flushed. Any of you guys jump on the sub70 train yet?

If this was addressed before, feel free to disregard, I did not go back through the few hundred pages I missed from my last time showing my face around here

• Like 2

I like the Sub70 stuff, the lefties are limited but very nice. Seems like a cool company to support.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

11 minutes ago, PReardon said:

I got my 620 mb and cb irons this week and oh my god are they pure.I waited 5 and a half months for them but they were totally worth it, Ive been to the range with them twice but haven't gotten to play 18 yet. the 8-pw are blades and are the nicest clubs ive ever hit in my life.

I think the Titleist MB's are one of the best looking MB's out there at the moment 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

2 hours ago, joe chum said:

Hello all, been a few years since I was a WRX frequenter. This thread was always my favorite place on the site.

Picked up a sub70 639 combo set last year; 4-7 CB and 8-pw MB with 48/52/56 wedges from sub70 also. Some aldila NV 85 shafts in the irons and KBS tour stiff in the wedges. Really loving my irons. Great ball flight, and they feel great when flushed. Any of you guys jump on the sub70 train yet?

If this was addressed before, feel free to disregard, I did not go back through the few hundred pages I missed from my last time showing my face around here

Yup! Loving my 639-MBs. They are great clubs for a great price!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craz-e said:

I think the Titleist MB's are one of the best looking MB's out there at the moment 

True statement. The 6 series MB's look great.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I played a set of the 2017 Apex MBs for about 2 years - loved them.  Got seduced by the new Apex Pros and got a set of them.  Played them since March with mixed results.  Too much offset for me and I didn't like the noticebly thicker soles.  Long as hell, tho.  Saw the new Apex MB's hit callaway's preowned site, so I traded the Pro's for a "like new" set in my specs.  Got them last week and immediately had my best ballstriking day in months.  Can't be a coincidence.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JeffJ1014 said:

I played a set of the 2017 Apex MBs for about 2 years - loved them.  Got seduced by the new Apex Pros and got a set of them.  Played them since March with mixed results.  Too much offset for me and I didn't like the noticebly thicker soles.  Long as hell, tho.  Saw the new Apex MB's hit callaway's preowned site, so I traded the Pro's for a "like new" set in my specs.  Got them last week and immediately had my best ballstriking day in months.  Can't be a coincidence.  

I am always on the look out for either the current Apex MB's or the model before. Great feeling irons!

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

21 hours ago, PReardon said:

I got my 620 mb and cb irons this week and oh my god are they pure.I waited 5 and a half months for them but they were totally worth it, Ive been to the range with them twice but haven't gotten to play 18 yet. the 8-pw are blades and are the nicest clubs ive ever hit in my life.

Congrats! New irons, is an awesome feeling. All the better after such a long wait.

I love the look of the 620s and their relative minimalism, but I'm still sporting the 718 MBs because I'm a magpie and I love the shinies. Fully chromed 620s is my unicorn club!

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS