Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 7/27/2021 at 8:58 PM, Andygolderson said:

Of course I felt amazing shooting 83 and went home, turned on the PC and checked E-bay for some blades. In a new golfing age (for me), Cobra really took my eye. The smooth small rounded blades from the Forged MB set looked so nice. I found a set, decided I needed to stiffen up and went graphite stiff. I lateer felt so confident that i ordered the 2 iron , haha.

First Look: Cobra King Forged CB-MB Irons | MyGolfSpy

At this point, I moved half way around the world in the off season and was on hold a few months. I played about 3 or 4 months, then Cobra released their RF rev 33 irons and I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.

Här är Rickie Fowlers nya Cobra-järn | Svensk Golf

Much to my wife's irritation, I now have 2 sets of blades (and starting to think of selling the One Length CBs). There's just something really confidence inspiring for me to hit blades. I guess having grown up using a mis-fitted set and not knowing or playing any differently is still what attracts me to them. The thin sharp lines and the blissful feeling when you hit one pure is just amazing. I often hear people "can't hit them" or "affraid of them" but to me i simply can't relate to these comments, it just feels easy and comfortable to use.

I will often get peope commenting based on these misconcerptions or misunderstandings that my ability isn't good enough for blades or whatever, but as I mentioned before, to my opinion, my ability to hit blades isn't really the problem. It's being able to score in the short game and keep my drives under control, together with less hero play and better course management that cause my scores to be too high. Something i'm finally coming to accept ~30 something years later.

TLDR: Long live blades 🙂

How do the cobra forged compare to the cobra rf? Are they worth the money?

Im not a great ballstiker but my irons have improved with blades and now I cant go back to chunkier irons, they just compress so well with a good swing. Before I thought I had the 2 best looking blades imo the 588 mb and the Cobra black forged but when i saw the Cobra Rf at the stores i started wondering how much i could sell my other sets for  lol ..... omg the sharpest, sexiest lines.

Tomorrow I might go to pga ss and see if I can hit them. Thanks!

• Like 4

For various reasons, I decided to take my newly reshafted Ram TW282 PW to the course this weekend as a GW.  I have it set to 51*, making it a good gap above my 47* MP37 PW.  Only hit it a couple times, but I really liked how the shaft played.  Stable, not too stiff...  looking forward to playing the full set.

Just holding off until after club championship weekend.  Second round tomorrow.  Put myself in a hole with spotty short game and an OB on #6, my 15th hole of the day.  Funny how hitting the ball off the course is not conducive to low scoring.  🤔

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 8/13/2021 at 10:03 AM, RamminMopar said:

Im not a great ballstiker but my irons have improved with blades and now I cant go back to chunkier irons, they just compress so well with a good swing. Before I thought I had the 2 best looking blades imo the 588 mb and the Cobra black forged but when i saw the Cobra Rf at the stores i started wondering how much i could sell my other sets for  lol ..... omg the sharpest, sexiest lines.

Tomorrow I might go to pga ss and see if I can hit them. Thanks!

i feel like the RF has a more sharp milled sole. I carry the forged MB 2 iron and i just couldn't hit it on the weekend. I'm confident you shouldnt have any issue striking the RF's, the danger is that you might want to buy them afterwards 😛

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

10 hours ago, eazyian said:

Looking forward to giving these 731pm a spin!! I was very surprised to read they were cast and not forged. Still looking forward to see how they feel on that once a round perfect strike! 

26131ADA-B399-4E47-9521-72663C5403DA.jpeg

Were they the left-hand only Titleist clubs made for Phil Mickleson (hence the PM)? Aren't they pretty rare?

19 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Were they the left-hand only Titleist clubs made for Phil Mickleson (hence the PM)? Aren't they pretty rare?

They were limited edition, but I've seen sets for about $350. If be interested in how they play, Phil loves the blended sets.

• Thanks 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• Like 3

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, deejaid said:

Picked these up but not sure what to do with them.  Don’t know if I can bring myself to unwrap the heads and hit them.

NOS Orlimar Ken Venturi Limited edition irons, set #41 of 1964. 3-PW, SW. Just stunning clubs.

3589E799-F283-417A-93E5-265185997442.jpeg

BE30799F-A0F8-4AE5-9E30-AA4F05D158C2.jpeg

Wow, great find. 

As to whether to play them or not, that's the problem with buying NOS! 

Are these particularly sought after among collectors? If so, I'd try to flip them. If not, I'd unwrap them and hit them.

1 minute ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Wow, great find. 

As to whether to play them or not, that's the problem with buying NOS! 

Are these particularly sought after among collectors? If so, I'd try to flip them. If not, I'd unwrap them and hit them.

Exactly the dilemma.  No way these will beat out my Top-Flite Custom’s so probably best to keep them wrapped up.

I have a set of the VR blades (not the pros) and Cleveland 588 mbs, I'll never get rid of them. Not playing with either set now, but they're definitely nice to look at lol

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke MAX 9* | Fujikura Ventus Red 6TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7TX
Adams Pro Black 18* | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

TaylorMade P760 4-PW | Dynamic Gold TI X100
Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50, 54, 58 | Dynamic Gold TI S400
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec

Finally got around to re-glue job of Maruman SZ set. Was weary of doing it because I did not want to ruin ferrules. A little tin foil solved the issue and they are back in the bag once again. My best GIR average came when carrying these, so did all time best scores, so no excuses now, lol. Great irons. Their setup just fit me better. Played them Sunday, happy to carry them.

Edited by Nard_S
  • Like 4

Put my old faithful W/S FG 17s BACK in my bag for yesterday mornings round. One of my best ball striking days as of late. Tinkered with OL and Launch Pads but the OL are gone for good, sorry B.A.D.😂 If only I could’ve gotten a putt to  fall. Struggled off the tee some too. Felt good at end of round even though card showed an 85 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Not seen them here yet. Interesting that PXG has gone that route....after the Ping blueprint.

Yea I saw some with a guy I played with. They were very clean and about same size as BP it seems. Sounded great and he loved them. They’re only 120 a club which is cheaper than anyone right now. Such a weird turn!

I once had a set of Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields and in spite of my high h.c. I hit them well, but they were short so I got rid of them - stupid mistake. I once holed out for par from 205 with the 2 iron on a par 5 that my first drive went ob and I thought I should be hitting the 2 iron 220.

I now play DCI 990B's which by all accounts are a blade. I would like to get a set of forged blades one day with the brushed finish to play once in a while - I will use head covers no doubt.

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:27 PM, Andygolderson said:

Good question. I want to say the forged feel softer ? I've been gaming the rev 33's for the past few months, so i kind of forgot how the forged were playing.

Clubheads are similar in size, I like the sharper look from the 33's (and forged RF) though, they're more aggressive looking. The main difference for me with the 33's are that they're MiM. For me it's the exact same feeling from the MiM wedges, compared to other forged wedges, like Mac Daddy, for example. They're more clicky. Catching one pure really feels like it's weightless, it's a different feeling from being buttery soft.

If you purely want performance, the Forged MB (Black) would do the job. the RF forged MBs bring a combination of both, they're cheaper than the rev 33's (1400 vs 2500USD)

I guess the question would come down to the Forged black vs the Forged RF. They should be similar in feel as they're both forged, whereas the RF have the more modern, sharper lines. almost like a spoon vs a knife.  

The older black forged go from 2i to Gw. New ones go from 4i to PW.

Show some pictures for comparison of PW.

20210813_091938.jpg

20210813_092016.jpg

20210813_091836.jpg

Man that top line is gorgeous on the rf

when companies say thin top line for anything made today, they’re not 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Bit late, but went out for an early morning round last week. Started pretty much at dawn.

Played OK, but my tee game was off. was one-under on the back nine thanks to short irons and wedges, but the tee-game fell apart on the back nine (and lack of sleep...I only got an hour before the round) and I finished 4 over.

Most dropped shots came from bad tee shots, but I left a few here and there over all. 

That said, I really enjoyed hitting my gap wedge (Srixon 945 A) and short irons (MP4s) to birdie distance on multiple holes.

Before the round:

1537480071_Earlymorninglateaugust2021_1.jpg.d044d4e2dbd16d660880aa961ea8416d.jpg

On the green on the par-5 first hole. Mine's the one on the left for three, the one on the right is there for four. I made my birdie putt this time (missed a shorter one last time at the same course).2053221895_Earlymorninglateaugust2021_2.jpg.24a00ad14541936cddf9a05383ce262f.jpg

Second hole (not me hitting)

739880040_Earlymorninglateaugust2021_3.jpg.3f1cc4bedf6c6a5a05a769ea96c3c737.jpg

Nemesis 4th hole (14th on the actual layout). I hit into the bunker right, short-siding myself. Hit a nice splash out and sank a 7~8 footer for par😊

1477245872_Earlymorninglateaugust2021_4hole4.jpg.39d16d45570202b8244174ca8261c067.jpg

The hard 3rd hole (our 12th as we played it). OB left, and trouble right off the tee. Blind second to the tee. Par here is always a good score.

240680219_Earlymorningaugust2021_5thebastardhardthird.jpg.f28c143b797a707ee7bbc3afe4a144b5.jpg

Last hole for us, but the ninth on the normal route. Short par 4 that back in the day I could almost drive. I love going left on this hole....Bogeyed it this time after I hit my tee shot into the left bunker with my 5w. Poor bunker shot, but that new 5w likes to hook too much...1346521739_Earlymorningaugust2021_6lasthole.jpg.f8b0c13621a3134810554ebf5a077cdc.jpg

What course is that? Layout looks sweet.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

12 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Yea I saw some with a guy I played with. They were very clean and about same size as BP it seems. Sounded great and he loved them. They’re only 120 a club which is cheaper than anyone right now. Such a weird turn!

$120 per club? That is cheap compared to anything else, at least anything from the major OEMs. I7ve noticed Titleist here seem to be selling sets of only five irons for the same or more as they were selling sets of six irons a couple of years ago....

2 hours ago, Yoshifan151 said:

What course is that? Layout looks sweet.

It's called Yuai, in Fukuoka. Unusually for Japan, it's a public course. It's a very interesting layout, with mix of good birdie chances and excellent opportunities for triple bogies or more!

• Like 3