Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

22 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

$120 per club? That is cheap compared to anything else, at least anything from the major OEMs. I7ve noticed Titleist here seem to be selling sets of only five irons for the same or more as they were selling sets of six irons a couple of years ago....

It's called Yuai, in Fukuoka. Unusually for Japan, it's a public course. It's a very interesting layout, with mix of good birdie chances and excellent opportunities for triple bogies or more!

Yea that’s why I had to buy them….!!  I’ll report back when they arrive. 

My wife grew up in Tokyo moved to states in high school so we go back every few years. Her best friend from kindergarten (lol) and husband are golf nuts so we go play a outside of Tokyo. They don’t speak a word of English but doesn’t matter one bit. Me and her husband Hiroki go look at all the used club shops in Ueno for hours and completely understand what we are saying even though neither of us speak each other’s language. Really cool 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

It's called Yuai, in Fukuoka. Unusually for Japan, it's a public course. It's a very interesting layout, with mix of good birdie chances and excellent opportunities for triple bogies or more!

Thanks, definitely looked like Asia with all those trees and the way the hills roll.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

3 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Yea that’s why I had to buy them….!!  I’ll report back when they arrive. 

My wife grew up in Tokyo moved to states in high school so we go back every few years. Her best friend from kindergarten (lol) and husband are golf nuts so we go play a outside of Tokyo. They don’t speak a word of English but doesn’t matter one bit. Me and her husband Hiroki go look at all the used club shops in Ueno for hours and completely understand what we are saying even though neither of us speak each other’s language. Really cool 

You bought them already? Well played!🤣

Those used golf shops in Tokyo are crazy. So much amazing equipment. The secondhand shops around here rarely get anything like that in. I haven't been up to Tokyo in a while, but when I do I try to get to the secondhand shops around Shinjuku.

I lived in and around Tokyo for a few years, but didn't play golf in that time. Which courses have you played?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Man that top line is gorgeous on the rf

when companies say thin top line for anything made today, they’re not 

agree !

• Like 1

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:58 PM, Andygolderson said:

I picked up gold briefly when i was about 13-17 years old, hacking around some local courses frequently in the 130's scoring range with a set of John Letters blades. They were my father's clubs that my mum suggested i "start with" before comitting into any of my own clubs. Of course, they were too long, too stiff and i never knew any different back then, so i continued playing them. Looking back now, the blade design came really far over time. I'd guess they were from the '70's - long, square, thin and knifey. I used them for about 4 years and expect they're still in my attic at home.

John Letters Golf Clubs for sale | eBay (Something like this)

I quit golfing when i was about 17.

After a 17 year hiatus, I wanted to get back into golf and get my own set. The local thift shop i guess you could call it, had a set of RAM blades for i guess the equivalent of 30 USD. It was like riding a bike, i'd never forgotten, just a bit wobbly. I immediately went online looking for a set of clubs i could buy and call my own.

I dabbled with Forged Tec cavity backs for about a half year, I was playing almost every day and improving really quickly. I wanted to try the One Length concept and unfortunaterly, i got the stock set in Regular shafts. I got down from 110 to about 85/90 ish. It was always putting, chipping and OB from the driver that was screwing me up. My iron play has always been fairly good. CB's just didn't have that same look about them, although they did feel pretty nice.

Of course I felt amazing shooting 83 and went home, turned on the PC and checked E-bay for some blades. In a new golfing age (for me), Cobra really took my eye. The smooth small rounded blades from the Forged MB set looked so nice. I found a set, decided I needed to stiffen up and went graphite stiff. I lateer felt so confident that i ordered the 2 iron , haha.

First Look: Cobra King Forged CB-MB Irons | MyGolfSpy

At this point, I moved half way around the world in the off season and was on hold a few months. I played about 3 or 4 months, then Cobra released their RF rev 33 irons and I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.

Här är Rickie Fowlers nya Cobra-järn | Svensk Golf

Much to my wife's irritation, I now have 2 sets of blades (and starting to think of selling the One Length CBs). There's just something really confidence inspiring for me to hit blades. I guess having grown up using a mis-fitted set and not knowing or playing any differently is still what attracts me to them. The thin sharp lines and the blissful feeling when you hit one pure is just amazing. I often hear people "can't hit them" or "affraid of them" but to me i simply can't relate to these comments, it just feels easy and comfortable to use.

I will often get peope commenting based on these misconcerptions or misunderstandings that my ability isn't good enough for blades or whatever, but as I mentioned before, to my opinion, my ability to hit blades isn't really the problem. It's being able to score in the short game and keep my drives under control, together with less hero play and better course management that cause my scores to be too high. Something i'm finally coming to accept ~30 something years later.

TLDR: Long live blades 🙂

I am a mid hi hc'er with a hooking problem and blades help that a great deal. I just recently changed to the DCI 990B's cast "blade" and now I hit the ball a mile high with a slight draw. I should be able to stop all my irons on our hard greens easily(25 deg. 4i). With a 7 wood and a new driver I should be able to shoot in the low 80's by the end of the year.

BTW, those RF irons are really nice. I used to like the rounded irons until I tried my DCI's but I hit them so well now my perspective has changed, the RF's look quite similar but with less offset. They both remind me of a set of Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields I once had that I never should have sold.

• Haha 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

57 minutes ago, chipa said:

I am a mid hi hc'er with a hooking problem and blades help that a great deal. I just recently changed to the DCI 990B's cast "blade" and now I hit the ball a mile high with a slight draw. I should be able to stop all my irons on our hard greens easily(25 deg. 4i). With a 7 wood and a new driver I should be able to shoot in the low 80's by the end of the year.

BTW, those RF irons are really nice. I used to like the rounded irons until I tried my DCI's but I hit them so well now my perspective has changed, the RF's look quite similar but with less offset. They both remind me of a set of Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields I once had that I never should have sold.

Mac Nicklaus Muirfields? The originals (top of picture), or the 20ths (bottom). I've got both. I actually prefer the 20ths, but I've got the Muirfields as well. A few years ago, I bought what looked to be a completely unhit full set of them, 1i to SW.

551502422_MacMuirfieldandMuirfield20thPWbacks.jpg.c3f9e79f91c7cf093cc5660ba9ccd8ec.jpg

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Mac Nicklaus Muirfields? The originals (top of picture), or the 20ths (bottom). I've got both. I actually prefer the 20ths, but I've got the Muirfields as well. A few years ago, I bought what looked to be a completely unhit full set of them, 1i to SW.

551502422_MacMuirfieldandMuirfield20thPWbacks.jpg.c3f9e79f91c7cf093cc5660ba9ccd8ec.jpg

Nice irons! Mine were like the top one the muscleback. I don't think I have ever seen a better looking iron.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, stingerfade said:

Anybody try the pxg 0211 st blades? Y’know the ones that are actually blades and not filled with goo ha

I looked at the specs and they seem to have quite a bit of bounce. Also, currently, they have 0 shaft options for X-stiff. And I’m not meaning 0 as in 0 shafts worth playing. I mean you can’t actually order these irons with an x-stiff shaft which seems unusual for a “blade” model. 

21 minutes ago, chipa said:

Nice irons! Mine were like the top one the muscleback. I don't think I have ever seen a better looking iron.

They are certainly very pretty irons. I don't have any more pictures of them on this computer, unfortunately. 

In terms of feel, I prefer the 20ths, but they're both great irons. Definitely "keepers".

• Like 1

Those look pretty sweet.

• Thanks 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Really debating Z Forged vs ZX7. There's just something about a blade............

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

55 minutes ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Really debating Z Forged vs ZX7. There's just something about a blade............

I play Z Forged and Z785, Z Forged is a nice deep feel and Z785 is very soft. Not sure if you prefer one feel over the other but I'd assume ZX7 would lean towards the softer feel of the Z785. Something to consider, cannot go wrong with either option performance wise though.

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Bridgestone Tour B X

There really is something about a blade.  My i210s helped my game but everything comes full circle.  I am putting more attention into my swings with the blade.  I feel like they will snip out a nice divot instead of bouncing off the turf (that was really getting in my head and I kept hitting it thin).  The forgiveness is obviously worse but for me blades are game improvement clubs.

I'll post some more pics of my set when I get a chance.  They are pretty sweet.  I built the matching GW from components I sourced from eBay, PGATSS and Golfworks and my first swing with it was like butter.  Such a great feeling.

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 9/9/2021 at 5:17 PM, craz-e said:

G’day blade lovers.

Been a while since I have had anything worthy of posting in this thread, but today I had a demo day and was booked in to get a driver dialled in. Something slim and shiny caught my attention so had to do it justice and give it a whirl. It was the first time I had seen the new Cobra forged MB in the flesh, it is a stunning iron and performs as good as it looks. Although I hadn’t had the opportunity to warm up I didn’t have a hard time hitting these. I am pretty shallow with my irons and the sole width and design of these were as good as I have ever felt. It’s been a while since an iron has jumped out at me like these. 
I have since returned home and have started to see what clubs can now be sold to help fund the purchase of a set of these!

and yes I did also get set up for a new driver 

do it 😄 As i mentioned elsewhere earlier, i think the sole is really nice in these. It's more flat, narrow and sharp, as opposed to a more curved sole. Personally , I really like it.

Hope you will enjoy 🙂 

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

13 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

do it 😄 As i mentioned elsewhere earlier, i think the sole is really nice in these. It's more flat, narrow and sharp, as opposed to a more curved sole. Personally , I really like it.

Hope you will enjoy 🙂 

Done it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

1 hour ago, erikro said:

Got these off the bay. Played them for the first time tonight........so nice.

57CD27E5-1843-46DB-984F-D3B2B6FB44FC.jpeg.22b34446c0606f21a1d14ed0147629de.jpeg70F5EDE9-3966-4804-860D-74B352F23E48.jpeg.6f920e8d9329672c15a8be84f97b1d9b.jpeg

That is a clean look right there. Nice.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Good day at the range today. Working all year on sequencing; balance, breathing and making sure it can all fit together. Basically, I've never focused so much on the driving range. I've learned more about my swing than I ever have and if I had the knowledge I do now when I was playing more competitively, I think I could've been a contender. My long game always held me back. I could play 14 holes great and fall apart for the 3 or 4 holes and that was that. Now I have built in process, a more solid pre-shot foundation and fundamentals and I can shoot in the seventies having only played twice and I don't think it was an accident.

Had a typhoon roll through last night, so it was a breezy day, with clouds and brief moments of blue appearing. Had a little deer skip across the range into the forest as I was warming up...

Worked on left hand only drills with short irons recently as a warm up. Not a lot. Just 10-15 balls. When I do them I have to concentrate on driving my left knee toward the ball after I complete the backswing or the ball starts left of where I want. I focus on sequence, hands starts followed by shoulders and hips finish the backswing. And then the reverse on the downswing. It helps the tempo like nothing I've ever known. Left hand drills for the win.

Worked my way up from short irons to the top of the bag. I hit my 5-iron nicely. Flying it around 195-200. with roll some were a nice 210 (using toptracer and flighted balls, I figure they fly 10 percent short). So, I am feeling good.

Hit a few 4-irons. They more or less mirror the 5-iron. Same flight, same distances. I think I ought to maybe think about replacing the 4 iron.

What was the difference?

Decide to hit one more. Maybe slow down the tempo a little on the way back. I might've been forcing it the first two.

Fly it 209 and it runs to 233. One yard of draw. I remember a few times this happening on the course, hitting a 4-iron flushed 20 yards further than usual.

Next one flies the same as the 5-iron, maybe a touch further. Put the 4-iron away.

Hit my 4 wood first ball flies 222. 237 total.  I hit it good. Between the 4 iron and the 4 wood  I have a 4 hybrid (22 degree). They are 17, 22 and 24 degrees.

I wonder if it's the balls at the range. They basically max out at a certain distance. I know if I hit the 4-wood nicely it'll get out there 250-265.

Most important thing, playing in Japan, everything is flying straight and narrow. If you don't pick up and read Ben Hogan's book. You are doing yourself a true disservice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Good day at the range today. Working all year on sequencing; balance, breathing and making sure it can all fit together. Basically, I've never focused so much on the driving range. I've learned more about my swing than I ever have

Cool beans. Love range time, love the digging in & down. Sounds like you have a good process going. Agree on the long game issue. It's everything. Good driving, You are not scrambling, you can play in to green in a more relaxed way, changes tone of round when it's clicking.

18 hours ago, erikro said:

Got these off the bay. Played them for the first time tonight........so nice.

57CD27E5-1843-46DB-984F-D3B2B6FB44FC.jpeg.22b34446c0606f21a1d14ed0147629de.jpeg70F5EDE9-3966-4804-860D-74B352F23E48.jpeg.6f920e8d9329672c15a8be84f97b1d9b.jpeg

Some of the cleanest blades out there. LOVE the low offset and long hosel.

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Bridgestone Tour B X

On 9/7/2021 at 1:36 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

You bought them already? Well played!🤣

Those used golf shops in Tokyo are crazy. So much amazing equipment. The secondhand shops around here rarely get anything like that in. I haven't been up to Tokyo in a while, but when I do I try to get to the secondhand shops around Shinjuku.

I lived in and around Tokyo for a few years, but didn't play golf in that time. Which courses have you played?

Hey yea got the pxg 0211st and am kind of shocked how good they feel. As good or maybe better than my mp18, it has that more dense than soft feel but still soft, solid. Sooooo easy to hit as well. Soles and top line are probably smaller or as small as any modern American club right now, look like blueprints at address. really happy so far (see how long that lasts haha)

I've only played Tsukuba CC outside of Tokyo. Very narrow tree lined and hilly. Must stop for full meal at the turn! Haha very different over there. I love how the caddies (all women and dressed exactly the same in blue argyle high socks) had a checklist and after every hole checked to make sure all the clubs are presents before driving to next hole. Very efficient and no one loses a club! Ha

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Hey yea got the pxg 0211st and am kind of shocked how good they feel. As good or maybe better than my mp18, it has that more dense than soft feel but still soft, solid. Sooooo easy to hit as well. Soles and top line are probably smaller or as small as any modern American club right now, look like blueprints at address. really happy so far (see how long that lasts haha)

I've only played Tsukuba CC outside of Tokyo. Very narrow tree lined and hilly. Must stop for full meal at the turn! Haha very different over there. I love how the caddies (all women and dressed exactly the same in blue argyle high socks) had a checklist and after every hole checked to make sure all the clubs are presents before driving to next hole. Very efficient and no one loses a club! Ha

Tsukuba? Wow, that's a fair distance out of Tokyo. I played at a course today that was about an hour away on normal roads, and it felt like a journey. Yeah, we had the stop at the turn as well. Also, as today was a national holiday, the course was busy. Started around 8.40, played the first nine in a little over 2 hours, and we were given 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch (more than twice what we needed or wanted), then the second half took 3 hours.

Totally blocked up. The group three ahead of us was really slow. On one par 5, there were five groups: one on the green, one waiting to hit their second/third shots, one waiting to hit their second, us on the tee, and another group behind us waiting.

Teed off at 8.40, finished at 15.40. 7 hours for a round of golf🥱

• Sad 1

Tsukuba? Wow, that's a fair distance out of Tokyo. I played at a course today that was about an hour away on normal roads, and it felt like a journey. Yeah, we had the stop at the turn as well. Also, as today was a national holiday, the course was busy. Started around 8.40, played the first nine in a little over 2 hours, and we were given 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch (more than twice what we needed or wanted), then the second half took 3 hours.

Totally blocked up. The group three ahead of us was really slow. On one par 5, there were five groups: one on the green, one waiting to hit their second/third shots, one waiting to hit their second, us on the tee, and another group behind us waiting.

Wow. Yea my wife’s childhood friend and husband live outside the main circle for sure prob 30 mins outside of ueno. It was a drive but I wasn’t driving or paying so don’t care at all!! Haha I live in queens nyc so I’m used to driving at least 60 mins no matter where I play 

One of my friends, part of the larger group of golfers with whom I play every week, is a Scottish transplant.  He starts to get a little twitchy once we get to the four hour mark for our round.

He's been here in the US since the 90s, he's familiar with the routine.  Doesn't lessen the annoyance.

He loves recounting stories of when he returns home, plays golf with family & friends, routinely getting around the course in 3:30 or less.  

I admit to a bit of jealousy.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors