2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

10 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

I live in queens nyc so I’m used to driving at least 60 mins no matter where I play 

This makes me very grateful for my situation.  I live at the "northwest corner" on the Twin Cities area, predominantly play a course that's about 10 miles to the northwest of us.  

Before deciding to try playing most of my golf at one course as I do now, I would occasionally do the hour drive for a round.  Used to drive two hours on occasion to play resort courses in the central Minnesota, Brainerd lakes area.  I was OK with doing it occasionally, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if it were the norm.  😶

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

30 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Wow. Yea my wife’s childhood friend and husband live outside the main circle for sure prob 30 mins outside of ueno. It was a drive but I wasn’t driving or paying so don’t care at all!! Haha I live in queens nyc so I’m used to driving at least 60 mins no matter where I play 

If you are 30 minutes outside of Ueno, then Tsukuba isn't so bad. 

I used to live about 45 north of Ueno, and Tsukuba would have been about the same distance to me as Ueno.

Though that was a long, long time ago.

30 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

One of my friends, part of the larger group of golfers with whom I play every week, is a Scottish transplant.  He starts to get a little twitchy once we get to the four hour mark for our round.

He's been here in the US since the 90s, he's familiar with the routine.  Doesn't lessen the annoyance.

He loves recounting stories of when he returns home, plays golf with family & friends, routinely getting around the course in 3:30 or less.  

I admit to a bit of jealousy.  LOL

Seriously, when I played golf growing up, 3~31/2 hours was normal. 4 hours was considered slow.

7 hours was unthinkable. And I agree with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And since this is the blade users thread, I hit the irons well today, but my tee game sucked monkey balls. The course I played can be made easy by decent tee shots, so I made things really difficult for myself. Things could have been a lot worse if my iron play was off.

Also, crazy pin positions! I mean, like close to putting the pin on the slope on a tiered green! Two or three positions were just a couple of paces from the edge of the green. And I mean that without any exaggeration. I missed one green by a couple of feet, and still had birdie putt of about 8ft. 

Oh yeah, lots of blind shots as well on this course. Not one I will be rushing back to.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

I played in a 2-day Ryder Cup style tournament this weekend and won my individual match 3&2 despite halving most of the holes with bogeys, lol!  I was playing from the tips and my opponent, a lady, was playing from the reds where there was occasionally 120 yards spread between our teeing grounds.  The second day was a front 9 better ball and back 9 alternate shot; my partner and I won the front nine and then completely blew up on the back, losing 5 and 4 on nine holes.  At that point I couldn't find the center of the face if my life depended on it.

Spent an hour in the sim room at my club focusing on a balanced address position later this week and played another 9 holes yesterday and WHEW!  These Cobra blades feel good when you strike them.  Distance control and feel through the turf is orgasmic with the short irons especially.  When you're off, forget it!

• Like 2

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Blade life comes full circle...

I've set aside my MP-37s with the Recoil Protos in favor of my Golden Rams with NV105 shafts.  I don't hit the ball nearly as high as I used to, and the MP-37s are indeed lower trajectory.  There's a 2* difference in most of the clubs, the 37s being stronger lofted, but I hit the Ram 6 iron higher than the MP37 7 iron, in spite of the higher loft.

15 years ago, that wouldn't have worked well in my game.  These days, it's for the best.  LOL

I may pull the Recoil Protos (actually, have a pro do it) and install them in something else.  Or even offload them.  Undecided at moment.

On top of that, it seems I need to lighten the clubs a bit.  I'd had some lead tape start to fall off the Golden Rams.  Decided to test them without, actually hit them perfectly fine at the lighter weight.  Something that was decidedly not true when I installed these shafts four years ago.  Using the Dave Tutelman pseudo-MOI approach, that would mean I need to lighten the MP37s a bit from their current swingweight. 

Based on this concept, I'd probably have to go 4 or 5 pts lighter to get the MP37s to line up similarly to the Rams.  Not sure I can bring myself to go that much lighter, but it's probably worth the attempt.  Recoil Proto 125 in Stiff are 118-121 grams, compared to the 105g of the NV MLTi's.

Now that Men's Club season is largely done, I have time for experimentation.  🙂

In other news, I've picked up a couple Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec S flex shafts to try in some of my parallel bore clubheads.  I'm interested in seeing how these play, they got quite a buzz in the official Fuji member review thread....

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Sadly I have left the world of blades and wont return until Srixon makes them in lefty. The v sole on their irons is just too perfect for me, and I do love my z785's......but will switch back to blades if they ever do a lefty release... (or if hogan does)

• Sad 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I seem to be back in to graphite shaft Test Mode, as I was in 2016 and 2017 when I wound up reshafting my Golden Rams with NV105s.  This time, the shafts I'm playing with are the Fuji Pro 115 Tour Spec, the relatively new NV parallel shaft (I've got the 95), and the Steelfiber i95.

I've assembled one Fuji Pro in a Purefit 1020 blade 6 iron.  I'd earlier put an NV95 in a pinhawk Vertex 6 iron that I'd built for my wife, which she ultimately didn't care for.  The Steelfiber i95 is a 3 iron shaft, tapered; I'm not sure what clubhead to put it in.  Have a couple candidates, Ram TG-898 or Mizuno MS-11.  

Of course, I'm leaning Ram.  I mean, it's Ram, right?  😉

I've had a dozen decent swings with the NV95.  I wasn't sure what to expect,but I've been pleasantly surprised.  It's definitely light, and I'm unsure about it for that reason, but I never overpowered it.  I gave it some robust lashes on the range, with no wild shot results.

Should be able to hit the Fuji shafted 6i this weekend.  

More to come...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kingcat990 said:

You've been on again off again with graphite for so long, I think I may have had a set of graphite shafts, because of your on again off again relationship.

It's basically 100% -on- these days.  My elbow and left wrist were barking more and more, I figured I'd better make the move permanently before I had zero choice.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

It's basically 100% -on- these days.  My elbow and left wrist were barking more and more, I figured I'd better make the move permanently before I had zero choice.

Yeah. I think during the relationship, I fell into a set of recoils. I was trying to run down the Xcaliber taper tip stuff back then to, but that was when Robin was going through some medical stuff and the brand all but disappeared and my plan never came to fruition. Since you're on it full time, now I won't have to guess and check shafts when I eventually go back to graphite, you will have tried most all of them 

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

On 9/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, NRJyzr said:

I seem to be back in to graphite shaft Test Mode, as I was in 2016 and 2017 when I wound up reshafting my Golden Rams with NV105s.  This time, the shafts I'm playing with are the Fuji Pro 115 Tour Spec, the relatively new NV parallel shaft (I've got the 95), and the Steelfiber i95.

I've assembled one Fuji Pro in a Purefit 1020 blade 6 iron.  I'd earlier put an NV95 in a pinhawk Vertex 6 iron that I'd built for my wife, which she ultimately didn't care for.  The Steelfiber i95 is a 3 iron shaft, tapered; I'm not sure what clubhead to put it in.  Have a couple candidates, Ram TG-898 or Mizuno MS-11.  

Of course, I'm leaning Ram.  I mean, it's Ram, right?  😉

I've had a dozen decent swings with the NV95.  I wasn't sure what to expect,but I've been pleasantly surprised.  It's definitely light, and I'm unsure about it for that reason, but I never overpowered it.  I gave it some robust lashes on the range, with no wild shot results.

Should be able to hit the Fuji shafted 6i this weekend.  

More to come...

I'm 56 and have played around with graphite shafts due to elbow problems. What I came up with are 95 gram shafts(cheap + backweighted) and 1/2" over standard. They felt a little light but I hit the long irons good. Eventually I changed my golf mat and went back to steel at 115 grams uncut.

Did you add any length to the graphite shafts?

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, NRJyzr said:

Something about graphite is just easier. Yesterday, I took a few RAM Tour Grinds to the range along with my MP-4s. The RAMs are shafted with Dynamic S, the MP-4s with ATTAS 115X shafts. 

After hitting the MP-4s for bit, I picked up the RAMs. It was liking hitting X100s again. Felt so much heavier, stiffer, and clunkier compared to the ATTAS shafts.

• Like 1

I put 80g graphite shafts in my KZG blades because my shoulder was being wired. My game improved a ton, so I put the same shaft in my BGD split cavities and will likely use them for the Takomo 101's. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

4 hours ago, chipa said:

Did you add any length to the graphite shafts?

I went a quarter inch longer with my NV105s, but with the RIP Tour 115 and Recoil Proto shafts, I stuck with my usual length.

After trying an NV95 in a club, and with the inconsistent results with my Recoil Proto 125s, I'm giving serious thought to dropping to 95g.  Need more testing.  🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I went a quarter inch longer with my NV105s, but with the RIP Tour 115 and Recoil Proto shafts, I stuck with my usual length.

After trying an NV95 in a club, and with the inconsistent results with my Recoil Proto 125s, I'm giving serious thought to dropping to 95g.  Need more testing.  🙂

Based on my experimentation a 95 gram shaft can be a 1/2 longer, but it will still feel a little light. 

I had played X100's but when I got back into golf I found that having something lighter was going to be less tiresome, so I have tried various shafts from 95 to 115 grams.

I also don't hit my irons as high as I would like but I can't stand shafts with the flex point too low because my dispersion is really bad. However, I switched to old cast blades and they take a taper tip so I got the only thing my budget allowed, the TT Lite XL Taper. I have never liked the TT Lites because of the kick point but the taper tip changes the feel significantly. The 990B's hit the ball high by themselves and with the TT Lites I can say I have never hit my irons higher in over 17 years of playing golf and maybe trying some 20-30 sets of irons. I can no doubt stop all my irons quickly up to the 5 iron.

Right now my gapping is around 10 yard which is perfect as I would just rather take an iron and make a normal swing. Even swinging easy and my irons go high, it really is great. However, hitting a knockdown shot has never been hard for me I can do that no problem, sometimes not on purpose though, haha, but they are stingers and still fly a long way.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

2 hours ago, chipa said:

Based on my experimentation a 95 gram shaft can be a 1/2 longer, but it will still feel a little light. 

I adapt a Dave Tutelman idea when going lighter.  You take 1/3rd of the drop in shaft weight and add it back to the clubhead.  I don't mind lead tape, my clubs are safe from all interstellar radiation.

An example, going from DGS300, which is 130g, to the NV105, would mean a drop of 25g.  One third is about 8g, I increase my swingweight 3.5-4 pts per club.

It does a reasonable job.  🙂

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I adapt a Dave Tutelman idea when going lighter.  You take 1/3rd of the drop in shaft weight and add it back to the clubhead.  I don't mind lead tape, my clubs are safe from all interstellar radiation.

An example, going from DGS300, which is 130g, to the NV105, would mean a drop of 25g.  One third is about 8g, I increase my swingweight 3.5-4 pts per club.

Good info. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 7:22 PM, NRJyzr said:

Based on my research 3 s.w. points is the equivalent of 1/2" or 6 grams.

• Like 1

Notes:

7 hours ago, chipa said:

Based on my research 3 s.w. points is the equivalent of 1/2" or 6 grams.

It varies with length.  The length where 2g equals 1 SW point is just under 39".  (per Hireko / Dynacraft)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It varies with length.  The length where 2g equals 1 SW point is just under 39".  (per Hireko / Dynacraft)

Thanks for the info. I'm an engineer and realize that it would vary but wasn't sure how much and if it was significant.

Notes:

On 10/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, chipa said:

Thanks for the info. I'm an engineer and realize that it would vary but wasn't sure how much and if it was significant.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, had to dig up the DSFI files, and yesterday was grandparenting day  🙂

This is from Chapter 5 of the DSFI addendum.  They reference driver length and 5 iron length, but you can see it's really club length that's driving it...

image.png.aa9d7f7669fe1a474c2b80132036bfba.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1