2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

17 hours ago, deejaid said:

My goodness, those Conductor 304’s might be the most perfect shape head I’ve ever seen.   I’m scouring eBay for a set immediately!

Was looking at your Signature--- HMMM did you go back to the KZG Teardrop CBs?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 11/29/2021 at 2:31 AM, uglande said:

Anyone here have experience pairing Mizuno blades (or other blades) with Steelfiber shafts. Considering some Steelfiber 110 for my Mp-20s (+1/2 over length). But don't want to go too light or get my launch too high. Coming from Modus 120. 

I have had Aerotech i80 R flex shafts in 2 sets of blades - 98 Hogan Apex, and 1957 Miura Baby Blades. Both sets 2-PW. The Hogans were originally Apex 4 graphite & the Miuras were Shimada 115gm, K's tour - not dissimilar to the Modus 120.

I went to the i80's because of advancing age & v various physical ailments, so I can't comment on whether or not the Steelfibre 110 would be too light for you - I suspect not, as 10gms difference in the shaft would not take long to get used to. As for launch angle, I haven't found the Aerotechs to launch high, they give me a medium trajectory & I actually think they tend to have a more penetrating flight & balloon less into the wind than the Shimadas. 

Aerotech shafts aren't cheap, but I've got nothing but good things to say about them. I originally got them in the Hogans because of tendonitis problems in my arms. The vibration dampening quality of the shaft allowed me to keep playing. Now, I've upgraded clubs, and have a different set of physical problems but, again, the Aerotechs have allowed me to keep playing.

Great shafts!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man you guys are too much!!!  I am looking today it is cold and rainy and I am bored. I had to sorta shelf my beloved VIP blades because of back issues. Right now hitting the irons in my signature meeh. Am seriously thinking of switching the Steelfibers from them to a set of Muirfield heads I have. Do not know I do not have any back pain but not playing blades is killing me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rieflin said:

I have had Aerotech i80 R flex shafts in 2 sets of blades - 98 Hogan Apex, and 1957 Miura Baby Blades. Both sets 2-PW. The Hogans were originally Apex 4 graphite & the Miuras were Shimada 115gm, K's tour - not dissimilar to the Modus 120.

I went to the i80's because of advancing age & v various physical ailments, so I can't comment on whether or not the Steelfibre 110 would be too light for you - I suspect not, as 10gms difference in the shaft would not take long to get used to. As for launch angle, I haven't found the Aerotechs to launch high, they give me a medium trajectory & I actually think they tend to have a more penetrating flight & balloon less into the wind than the Shimadas. 

Aerotech shafts aren't cheap, but I've got nothing but good things to say about them. I originally got them in the Hogans because of tendonitis problems in my arms. The vibration dampening quality of the shaft allowed me to keep playing. Now, I've upgraded clubs, and have a different set of physical problems but, again, the Aerotechs have allowed me to keep playing.

Great shafts!

Thank you for your post-- Right now I am using the Steel Fiber 95 r shafts in the TM CBs for the same reasons you stated--- Yep the vibration was causing the damaged nerves in my back to act up and so I have had to switch to the Steelfiber. Now it is more than likely a difference in club heads but I find mine to launch higher but as you stated I do have a more penetrating flight if that makes sense. I think the head shaft combo I may have picked up both SS and ball speed. So I take it you are not picking up vibration using those shafts with blades. That is my main concern. I do know the CBs have what I call Silly Putty inserts in the 4 thru 6 irons. Just glad to get some insight because as you stated those shafts are expensive even used pull outs and really I do not want to break down the TMs because they are nice clubs--- Still after playing blades most of my life I miss them. So thanks again for your post and imput

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Thank you for your post-- Right now I am using the Steel Fiber 95 r shafts in the TM CBs for the same reasons you stated--- Yep the vibration was causing the damaged nerves in my back to act up and so I have had to switch to the Steelfiber. Now it is more than likely a difference in club heads but I find mine to launch higher but as you stated I do have a more penetrating flight if that makes sense. I think the head shaft combo I may have picked up both SS and ball speed. So I take it you are not picking up vibration using those shafts with blades. That is my main concern. I do know the CBs have what I call Silly Putty inserts in the 4 thru 6 irons. Just glad to get some insight because as you stated those shafts are expensive even used pull outs and really I do not want to break down the TMs because they are nice clubs--- Still after playing blades most of my life I miss them. So thanks again for your post and imput

Hi Stu,

No, I'm not getting vibration using Steelfibre shafts with blades. 

When I first made the switch, I did as much research as possible, and took a punt that the Steelfibres would be even more vibration dampening than the graphite shafts I had in the Hogan Apex. That proved to be the case. I had bad tendonitis in my elbows and the Steelfibre shafts made a huge difference in vibration dampening and my comfort & ability to swing the club without wincing (especially at impact.)

Now my problem is chronic inflammation in the neck, shoulders, hips & knees. Medication has made this a lot better, but there was a time when I seriously was on the brink of stopping playing, as I couldn't swing a club without a lot of discomfort. Again, the steelfibres alleviated the problem - not entirely, but significantly enough that I could keep playing golf.

So, in a nutshell, the steel fibres really helped with my physical problems, even using blades. Like you, I think I picked up a small increase in SS & ball speed - and I love the stability and feel of the shaft.

Best of luck to you, Stu. If you decide to go with steelfibres, I really hope they help! 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rieflin said:

Hi Stu,

No, I'm not getting vibration using Steelfibre shafts with blades. 

When I first made the switch, I did as much research as possible, and took a punt that the Steelfibres would be even more vibration dampening than the graphite shafts I had in the Hogan Apex. That proved to be the case. I had bad tendonitis in my elbows and the Steelfibre shafts made a huge difference in vibration dampening and my comfort & ability to swing the club without wincing (especially at impact.)

Now my problem is chronic inflammation in the neck, shoulders, hips & knees. Medication has made this a lot better, but there was a time when I seriously was on the brink of stopping playing, as I couldn't swing a club without a lot of discomfort. Again, the steelfibres alleviated the problem - not entirely, but significantly enough that I could keep playing golf.

So, in a nutshell, the steel fibres really helped with my physical problems, even using blades. Like you, I think I picked up a small increase in SS & ball speed - and I love the stability and feel of the shaft.

Best of luck to you, Stu. If you decide to go with steelfibres, I really hope they help! 

The ones in the TPs in my siganture have already helped. They are great hitting clubs just are not blades like I have played most of my life. Basically I miss looking down at real baldes at address.

Like you the Steel Fibers really helped with the frequency vibration causing my pain and as you stated with the pain comes inflamation.I had been experimenting with the CBs for darn near a year just had a mental block on actually playing them. Week before last I played 4 days straight for a total of 63 holes practiced too with no pain. In fact that week I played 36 with our fellow WRxer Cardoustie. Have been playing and practicing pretty regular with no pain. I had consulted with another WRXer Chisag on the Steel Fibers back and forth and he was all for them. Between 3 of us including a instructor friend I know and my Neurologist we determined the frequency vibrations caused by steel shafts were causing my pain. I was really up on the frequency vibrating thing as it pretains to engines from my racing days. My back is structually healed but has permanant nerve damage. For pain and inflamation I use Ibuprophen and CBD gummies. Have not had to do the CBD for close to 3 weeks now. 

I will add I was hurting so much about a month and a half ago after the Saturday Scramble I told my wife I was going to give up the game all together. I was hurting and stiff so bad that I cancelled us playing the afternoon couples Nine and Dine. It was either go to the Steel Fibers or quit all together. Glad I went to them--- Thanks for all your insight and help Merry Christmas

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I sure did buddy, with graphite shafts too!   I still love the shape of these heads and got fitted into the perfect shaft for them.

Although a set of Endo forged 1999 Hogan Apex blades with Steelfiber shafts just showed up at my doorstep today.   Decisions, decisions.

Ohhh trust me you will love the Steelfiber shafts especially in a set of 99 Apex heads-- Man those will be as soft as hot butter

• Like 4

Got the Cobras out on the course today. Hit almost every single iron swing pure on the nuts so that's 90% there for me in a set of blades. Ball flight was great, high but piercing. I feel that they are in that ideal softest shaft that I can control well range. Awesome feel too!  Really like the Elevates with VSS! 

My first set of clubs i bought was some MP-33s with R300s. Great memories with those sticks, some of the best blades. Classic Mizuno. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Those are beautiful irons. I have the 99 Apex from 2 - PW, with steel fibre i80 shafts. As Big Stu said, they're soft as hot butter. You will LOVE those irons.

Just curious, where did you get the satin finish done & what made you go with that finish rather than keeping the chrome?

Either way, those irons are things of beauty. Great stuff!

• Like 1

It's pretty impressive finding a full set of 99 Apex.  They seem a bit less common than some of the other Apex sets, based on ebay, anyway.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

It's pretty impressive finding a full set of 99 Apex.  They seem a bit less common than some of the other Apex sets, based on ebay, anyway.

I wasn’t even really looking to buy another set of irons, but since it was a full set in such great condition upgraded with Steelfiber’s, all at a very fair price, it was a no brainer.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rieflin said:

Those are beautiful irons. I have the 99 Apex from 2 - PW, with steel fibre i80 shafts. As Big Stu said, they're soft as hot butter. You will LOVE those irons.

Just curious, where did you get the satin finish done & what made you go with that finish rather than keeping the chrome?

Either way, those irons are things of beauty. Great stuff!

Previous owner did the brushed finish which usually just involves a green scotch brite pad.   I happen to like brushed finishes over shiny chrome so it was another plus for me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, deejaid said:

Just arrived.  1999 Endo forged Hogan Apex irons, 1-Equalizer, 52* wedge.  Brushed finish with Steelfiber’s installed.  

Need the rain to go away so I can go give them a swing.

3429AF9F-8D2C-4045-9185-8DD571114FD6.jpeg.dc6949bd794cda7350a6a756069f3ae1.jpeg

D0D45B68-426D-487F-86AF-4AFF68965A4D.jpeg.a3cbf938a4be18785c5f2f2a6d9f7506.jpeg3A6FB4CF-6033-4262-AC6F-3438897353DA.jpeg.f9f49bb97b16b286b2721e5d0585d9c0.jpeg28DC4294-476E-457F-B498-D9A73C3A8B8E.jpeg.82ff70a3368155cb9fa1abaad5fe85bd.jpegD454BE2E-6F9A-40B0-8267-8470EF36B488.jpeg.945005dfe8ff7c531b14464d8a89cfa0.jpeg

Had a set of those and foolishly let them go...they look amazing with the brushed finish.  Fairways and greens!!

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

48 minutes ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Deejaid,

Brushed set of beauties. Jeff Sheets nailed this design. 

I searched for a set of Apex ‘99s in good condition for years. Was able to land a full set of blades AND cb’s at a cost that was too good to pass up. Had both sets, along with a set of reissued Fluid Feels, stripped of chrome and dipped in copper. An aged finish was applied.

Every time I take them out for a round I wonder why I don’t put them into play more often. Too few rounds played and too many irons to rotate.  

275BFCAC-A97D-475C-B2D1-B4B875CAA4D4.jpeg

CE5F53E8-BFA8-4A15-BB62-D00D079BCE67.jpeg

AAE3F897-6FD1-4A92-9022-8B33E5323015.jpeg

Those are slick!!

• Like 2

Just got back from the range with the Hogan’s.  40* or so and a light mist so distances weren’t as expected but what an incredible feeling set of irons.  

@BIG STU you were right about this mix of Endo forged heads and the Steelfiber i95’s, what a combo.   Dispersion was much better than my KZG’s but the KZG’s are a little longer due to a more boring trajectory.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Just got back from the range with the Hogan’s.  40* or so and a light mist so distances weren’t as expected but what an incredible feeling set of irons.  

@BIG STU you were right about this mix of Endo forged heads and the Steelfiber i95’s, what a combo.   Dispersion was much better than my KZG’s but the KZG’s are a little longer due to a more boring trajectory.

I know the Steel Fibers in those TMs I am playing now feel as soft as butter and the 5 6 and 7 irons have that Silly Putty foam stuff in them and they hit as soft as my KZGs with the 5.0 Rifles in them. I knew the Hogans hit soft with steel shafts I can only imagine the feel with the Steel Fiber 95s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Deejaid,

Brushed set of beauties. Jeff Sheets nailed this design. 

I searched for a set of Apex ‘99s in good condition for years. Was able to land a full set of blades AND cb’s at a cost that was too good to pass up. Had both sets, along with a set of reissued Fluid Feels, stripped of chrome and dipped in copper. An aged finish was applied.

Every time I take them out for a round I wonder why I don’t put them into play more often. Too few rounds played and too many irons to rotate.  

275BFCAC-A97D-475C-B2D1-B4B875CAA4D4.jpeg

CE5F53E8-BFA8-4A15-BB62-D00D079BCE67.jpeg

AAE3F897-6FD1-4A92-9022-8B33E5323015.jpeg

Yep and I know where the 2 iron with that set is right now---- A couple of weeks ago I added another Canadian Special--- WRXer Cardoustie was here and I played golf with him 2 days--- I gave him a beautiful blonde Tony Penna driver with a S-400 in it--- He insisted on giving me a BECU Ping Zing 2 LW--- Fun wedge--- Now days due to the permanant nerve damage in my back had to resort until further notice hitting the ( meh) TM CBs with the Steel Fiber shafts. I do miss the blades and steel shafts but I do not miss the associated pain--- Hoping I may fully heal up by spring and be able to play steel shafted Blades and persimmons again pain free

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep and I know where the 2 iron with that set is right now---- A couple of weeks ago I added another Canadian Special--- WRXer Cardoustie was here and I played golf with him 2 days--- I gave him a beautiful blonde Tony Penna driver with a S-400 in it--- He insisted on giving me a BECU Ping Zing 2 LW--- Fun wedge--- Now days due to the permanant nerve damage in my back had to resort until further notice hitting the ( meh) TM CBs with the Steel Fiber shafts. I do miss the blades and steel shafts but I do not miss the associated pain--- Hoping I may fully heal up by spring and be able to play steel shafted Blades and persimmons again pain free

A few rounds with ‘uncle Cardy’ is obviously what the doctor ordered Stu. 

The ‘Canadian Special’ will undoubtedly rise again. Never thought I’d be able to elevate that Wilson 2 iron above, but a tip soft graphite shaft did the trick. A uniquely satisfying experience when you nut a beat stick. 

Wishing you and yours all the best as we move through the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

19 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Copper is always cool, just saying.

Need to re-shaft those R58’s and seriously contemplating sending them for the same treatment.  

Heck, all this talk of Steelfibers has me contemplating installing a set of 110cw’s I have sitting in the garage. Even though I know deep down that they are too much shaft for me.  

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

3 minutes ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Need to re-shaft those R58’s and seriously contemplating sending them for the same treatment.  

Heck, all this talk of Steelfibers has me contemplating installing a set of 110cw’s I have sitting in the garage. Even though I know deep down that they are too much shaft for me.  

Hah, I'm 2 decades back on shafts. I'm just trying out PX for the 1st time on those RAZR's,  Rifle's & DG were it. Someday I'll catch up 🙂

But the copper plate is freaking nice, I love it, it looks so organic, there will come a time I try my own rendition of it. Looks good, the FG looks blazing as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

@PeanutsDaddy

Righteous. Do you use someone in industry or are you going to the guys that specialize in iron refinishing?

A friend connected me with a talented and dependable gentleman who works at a metal refinishing shop that is close by. He has graciously donated his time to complete a handful of projects for me on the side.  Shipping to the US can be a real bugger for a Canuck, so it’s nice to stay on this side of the border.

If I were to use anyone in the industry it would be Ken Flanigan and/or Continental Golf. Although I believe they send the heads to re-finisher (Iron Factory?).

Kingcat started this obsession a few years back BTW. 

Edited by PeanutsDaddy

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*