Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Hey NCN, Glad to hear the surgery was successful(I’m guessing if swing is better then so is body)!

Yeah, all I know is that I can’t fix what is going on. I hit 4 different drivers probably 200 drives on Sunday in garage and kept data on all of them and it is just a mess.  It is like putting a 30 cap on a sim with a driver that can luck into some real drives.  I can’t hit 5 fades or draws in a row without snap hooking or push slicing trying to hit either.  I really think it is a grip and hands, wrists and something has me in a timing mess through hitting area that can’t be bigger body moves.  You should be able to hit a cut relatively easily, but no matter.

I looked up a guy who I saw 3 times years ago before I hit my best years in this game and he is still in the teaching game so I’m going to just give him first go at it.  I think I was talking this way when I quit last and never saw anyone.   

Did I miss any fancy new tech in blades? 😂

I think all my new (for this crew anything after 2012 is new) irons became classics the last 2/3 years…..curiosity had me looking up my clubs and putter collection and it all appreciated like 300%, maybe I should cash out and quit 😂

46 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

Did I miss any fancy new tech in blades?

Did you see that Ping makes a blade now?  😲

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

51 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

Hey NCN, Glad to hear the surgery was successful(I’m guessing if swing is better then so is body)!

Yeah, all I know is that I can’t fix what is going on. I hit 4 different drivers probably 200 drives on Sunday in garage and kept data on all of them and it is just a mess.  It is like putting a 30 cap on a sim with a driver that can luck into some real drives.  I can’t hit 5 fades or draws in a row without snap hooking or push slicing trying to hit either.  I really think it is a grip and hands, wrists and something has me in a timing mess through hitting area that can’t be bigger body moves.  You should be able to hit a cut relatively easily, but no matter.

I looked up a guy who I saw 3 times years ago before I hit my best years in this game and he is still in the teaching game so I’m going to just give him first go at it.  I think I was talking this way when I quit last and never saw anyone.   

Did I miss any fancy new tech in blades? 😂

I think all my new (for this crew anything after 2012 is new) irons became classics the last 2/3 years…..curiosity had me looking up my clubs and putter collection and it all appreciated like 300%, maybe I should cash out and quit 😂

The surgery was successful, bar a bit of post-operation infection (really nothing too serious). I first wondered if this lump might be affecting my swing in the winter of 2020, when I was throwing snowballs with my daughter and realised I couldn't throw as well as before. I used to have a pretty good arm, but that was no longer the case.

At first, I put it down to old age, but then I couldn't get my swing right at all either, and had lost a lot of speed. Got the surgery done at the end of last year, and the difference between my pre and post surgery swings is amazing.

Not much new tech in blades, but I think you did miss Ping putting out a forged blade (Blueprint) as @NRJyzr said.

Taylormade have been putting out a few offerings, including a TW model, and Titleist have made some pretty tasty custom blades for Justin Thomas and Adam Scott (who is now no longer a Titleist staffer, apparently).

The second hand market is lively at the moment due to new golfers and supply chain issues (both results of the pandemic). It is a good time to sell stuff. It's a good time for me to cut down the number of my iron sets by half to about 15...

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat with @Bigmean with the driver. In general, the tee shot with metals is where I piss a lot of strokes or just take birdie off the table. Been this way forever, when it's behaving I do real well, but that's sporadic. 

My "fix" is go all new on metals #1,#3,& #5 and pay for a shaft fitting. Have a near new Mizuno ST-G-220 head coming and keen on their new fairways. But it's the shaft or lack of confidence in the hop scotch way I choose one. I play 3 metals and have 3 different configurations shaft wise. Cannot be all that good in long run. Been a cheap skate on that end of bag, try paying for better now & see what happens, lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Did you see that Ping makes a blade now?  😲

Wait what?  

i must say, this is the last thing I expected to see.  Can’t be a forged blade?  I’m sure it has some foam or hollow type “improvements?”  .   

I will be googling later.  I never got on with ping irons though.  I did love the old school copper eyes and zings though just cause at the time they seemed very cool too me as a

kid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I'm in the same boat with @Bigmean with the driver. In general, the tee shot with metals is where I piss a lot of strokes or just take birdie off the table. Been this way forever, when it's behaving I do real well, but that's sporadic. 

My "fix" is go all new on metals #1,#3,& #5 and pay for a shaft fitting. Have a near new Mizuno ST-G-220 head coming and keen on their new fairways. But it's the shaft or lack of confidence in the hop scotch way I choose one. I play 3 metals and have 3 different configurations shaft wise. Cannot be all that good in long run. Been a cheap skate on that end of bag, try paying for better now & see what happens, lol.

I really think I have bigger problems that I just get away with down the bag that I don’t with driver.   Have same misses with my irons , but they are just not as punishing cause chipping isn’t water or lost ball….

No matter, my vibes are super good, I have nothing to lose by starting over and honestly it may be more fun/rewarding than grinding around same scores.  It was rough so at least I feel like the benchmark for starting again is sandbagged some hahaha.

You guys still going hard with the Ho scene?   😂 

I have a lot of sets and putters I miss(my raw Vegas god what a mistake), but since it has been a while this is my current inventory after I sold off some things :

Drivers:

calloway epic JDM trpx shaft that is anti left

onoff 358/labaspec

ryoma maxima/fire express 

Masda something/diamana (cut to 43” in desperation)

3woods:

titliest 913F or something/tour ad MT 7s.  Only non jdm in bag and I will use this till thr face falls off.

hybrid:

roddio 21/tour ad di 

irons:

baby blades/nippon 1150s (for life playa)

1957/roddio i10s 

mp 14s/tour ad di iron shafts

onoff 358 shingos/recoils

onoff 247(I think) blades copper plates and attus iron shafts.

wedges:

onoff Shingo 52/68-roddio i7 shafts.  I adore these.

putter:

Same golds factory that is really my favorite putter of all time.  Not going to list the rest but I have like 28.

I Obviously didn’t get anything new, but I’m sure I sold some stuff, 5 iron sets seems very low key from When I “discovered” that Japan makes clubs .  If I went back in this thread I probably forgot about more sets Than I have now.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Blueprint has a CG beyond center towards toe. The VR Pro II & P7TW are dead center. The VR's are stupid easy and are really nice clubs. I own those, they keep looking better. I just picked up Callaway Razr's that are maybe 8 years old. Real nice clubs. New Wilson & Titleist get a lot of good comments. The new Mizuno 221 looks really good. Surprised they don't get more attention here. Every OEM has a decent offering. The RF from Cobra is righteous.

As a serial toe striker the Blueprints have just caught my attention!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

@Bigmean gets me looking at onoff but of course there's no lefties, but I found these. Damn. Yururi "The Muscle" 🤣

243234069_258430542961242_5427802360029074172_n.jpg

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Those are Kyoei forged and I presume very similar to the aforementioned Vega set I should have never sold.  I’m remembering now I didn’t like their 7 to 8 iron transition(it wasn’t that big a deal but) and those probably have (not in a bad way just different) some nuances at address, but that set was always on my if an opportunity comes list and the opportunity never came.  

I don’t think anything feels better than the small blades, but It is all subjective kyoei blades are probably most overlooked for arguably the best feel.  They are soft but with that miura punch, just muted.  If I could have one set back it is that one…I would see if they made those in lefty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VEGA-6-IRON-GOLF-CLUB-NS-PRO-REGULAR-FLEX-STEEL-SHAFT-LEFT-HAND-BLADE-IRON-/174843641812?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

You are in luck.  If the 6 iron exists odds are good that a set does….vm01 is what you want.  Stay clear of the vm02 blades, had those too, didn’t like them nearly as much.  They were really forgiving on miss hits distance wise which blades usually suffer but they just seemed wrong.

edit-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vega-VM-01-Forged-JAPAN-iron-set-4-PW-with-Yonex-3-iron-with-Steel-NS-PRO-X-Flex-/114130147039?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Ouch…..I won’t tell you what I paid for my set 😂 

Edited by Bigmean
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VEGA-6-IRON-GOLF-CLUB-NS-PRO-REGULAR-FLEX-STEEL-SHAFT-LEFT-HAND-BLADE-IRON-/174843641812?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

You are in luck.  If the 6 iron exists odds are good that a set does….vm01 is what you want.  Stay clear of the vm02 blades, had those too, didn’t like them nearly as much.  They were really forgiving on miss hits distance wise which blades usually suffer but they just seemed wrong.

THERE was a 3-PW Vega set a while back I had on my watch list forever, but it was like $40 shipping from the UK. Very good looking.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I had never heard of Vega before I found them on eBay searching "blade left" or something silly. But a clean MB is my jam, that's why I couldn't get my money out fast enough when I saw the Haywood's. 

I also keep peeping for some Nike VR Pros. The combos were awesome, but I want a 4-PW blade set.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

So some good and bad news.  As you all can tell I’m probably obsessive compulsive and I either do something all the way or not all.  So that said I have dove into golf with my fire reignited. Found a guy I have had good lessons with like 10 years ago, he is still at it so will get with him.  Cool.

Then I looked up (don’t even ask why I haven’t done this before) specifically snap hook/block slice swing fix and holy crap it is a thing.  Found one vid/guy that hit my nail on head like he knew me, explained it was a better player problem cause you can string 9 even 14 holes together then wheels fall off(was case when I was decent).  

Basically I come in too far from inside and low, handle gets “high” to get club on ball, good timing is nailed, bad timing is big block right with open face or jump gun on release to save from going right and snap hook.  Also wondering if longer shafted clubs more than loft means it gets worse through bag.  

He has a drill, I changed my stance a tad. Placed clubhead covers basically that make it look like you can’t hit the ball without coming way over they top.  Go in garage, you can hit the ball but every swing feels like will crash, and I was straight flushing it.  I mean not lightning in a bottle, but actually felt coming in different and contact was consistent and a tangible difference in swing yielding flushed 7 irons.  I am cloud nine on this.

Bad news:  I am guessing being straight shots from the contact (you can tell just not sure how straight and if small draw or fade cause path felt foreign) because my GC2 wouldn’t turn on and may be officially bricked.   It worked 2 days ago fine, all I did was move it around as I was reorganizing sim area.  

I am terrified of what foresight is going to do or say to me being it was a golfsmith.  I heard it is $500 just for them to “consider you a customer to do work on” for second hand customer🤮 

6 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

So some good and bad news.  As you all can tell I’m probably obsessive compulsive and I either do something all the way or not all.  So that said I have dove into golf with my fire reignited. Found a guy I have had good lessons with like 10 years ago, he is still at it so will get with him.  Cool.

Then I looked up (don’t even ask why I haven’t done this before) specifically snap hook/block slice swing fix and holy crap it is a thing.  Found one vid/guy that hit my nail on head like he knew me, explained it was a better player problem cause you can string 9 even 14 holes together then wheels fall off(was case when I was decent).  

Basically I come in too far from inside and low, handle gets “high” to get club on ball, good timing is nailed, bad timing is big block right with open face or jump gun on release to save from going right and snap hook.  Also wondering if longer shafted clubs more than loft means it gets worse through bag.  

He has a drill, I changed my stance a tad. Placed clubhead covers basically that make it look like you can’t hit the ball without coming way over they top.  Go in garage, you can hit the ball but every swing feels like will crash, and I was straight flushing it.  I mean not lightning in a bottle, but actually felt coming in different and contact was consistent and a tangible difference in swing yielding flushed 7 irons.  I am cloud nine on this.

Bad news:  I am guessing being straight shots from the contact (you can tell just not sure how straight and if small draw or fade cause path felt foreign) because my GC2 wouldn’t turn on and may be officially bricked.   It worked 2 days ago fine, all I did was move it around as I was reorganizing sim area.  

I am terrified of what foresight is going to do or say to me being it was a golfsmith.  I heard it is $500 just for them to “consider you a customer to do work on” for second hand customer🤮 

Quite a lot of that sounds familiar to me. Well, not the part about having a GC2, bricked or not. I think I've an old PS3 somewhere. Does that count?😂

But the coming too far inside part is definitely me. I've hit fat shots on the course where my divot is pointing 30 degrees right of the hole just before the ball. More so 2~3 years ago than now, but it's still a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmean said:

Basically I come in too far from inside

Yeah, know it. Google "Getting stuck, golf swing". You're leaving hands and arms too far behind. Issue is resolved by getting arms & hands more in front of torso and done earlier. Sounds simple but it's not always because root cause is probably elsewhere. May be in back swing motion, at top position, loss of body angles, bad sequencing, bad hip motion or bad legs. Might be simple as re-direct hands going down. Pro's eyes work here & are worth the coin. Basic intent of throwing arms more in front of chest earlier on, post transition, while keeping back to the target longer is not a terrible rabbit hole to jump in.

• Like 1

I hit about 50 into the screen blind and with the head overs there (only plowed the inside one once) and only mental thought though was keep my hands low and in front the contact was stupid good, like 35/50 well struck and I only felt myself yank or push (again you guys know, you can tell when you hit it without a fancy monitor) a handful.  

Tried without the covers a few at end and by shot 5 I was feeling like I was going back.  So I stopped and determined I may need to hit a couple thousand balls with covers in place and no shots without to help groove that feeling.

I am just feeling sick about the GC2.  It has always been a time bomb.  I read on some forum they waive the $500 fee if I buy the $2000 current software 🤮🤮🤮.   It should just be the power connection on the machine (has play) or battery but that should fly even if won’t hold charge with power connected.  I will be on the sim forums a lot this weekend if I can’t get it to turn on by then…sucks too cause I love the GC2, it is just so accurate and good.  They don’t need to compete with cheaper ones that aren’t as good but make it compelling to have people send them for services and eventually upgrade.  $500 registration fee isn’t any of that. 

Edited by Bigmean

So upon closer inspection, found the issue…. It snapped off with little effort.  A little non electrician approved splice and dice and we are back in biz until I amazon can bring me a new one!!!

I am considering this a members bounce if you will.  I have been really stressed about it 😂 

DEA41602-46C8-4220-9CED-09CCB735B6F0.jpeg

B2B2BAEC-261C-4CFD-8FEE-CB3BEE0DD8D8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kingcat990 said:

Hey hey hey. You can't just throw up tease photos and mention you're hitting them tomorrow and not throw up build specs. Blasphemy. 

I'm using the same Kuro Kage shafts I have in my BGD's, same Concept Helix grip, cute blue ring ferrules. I will get a pic in a bit. 

I will build the CB's to match so I can blend without clashing if I do. 🤣 

Simple and clean.

PXL_20220122_023055835~2.jpg

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 3

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Hit a few balls with my father in-law today. We went to my range that has Top Tracer set up. I showed him how it works and we played Naruo Country Club and then Spanish Bay. I think I was a few under for the day, which is nice. It has been really cold recently and I am hitting everything a full club short... Or maybe it's just aging.

Anyway, I hit the new Miz blade - the 221 and I hit the fli-hi 4 iron (21.5 degree) The MP is beautiful, I think it might be slightly more beautiful than the 20. The fli-hi was alright too, but the shaft in it was way too light. It is hard as hell to get a realistic demo club.

Also hit my father in-law's TM jp irons, the Glorie. I will never get used to the sound. Just a click, click and click. Click. A couple balls later I was hitting my Founders and it was this muted thump, so deep the balls require a course of counseling before they can function properly. Can't wait to get back and hit them again.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bigmean said:

So upon closer inspection, found the issue…. It snapped off with little effort.  A little non electrician approved splice and dice and we are back in biz until I amazon can bring me a new one!!!

I am considering this a members bounce if you will.  I have been really stressed about it 😂 

DEA41602-46C8-4220-9CED-09CCB735B6F0.jpeg

B2B2BAEC-261C-4CFD-8FEE-CB3BEE0DD8D8.jpeg

Yeah, that might cause a problem...

Wow, these are everything I hoped for and then some. So worth the wait and do I have work to do. 🤣 

The sound, the feel, the ball flight are just perfect. They don't just look amazing, these are legit. So happy and amazing work @haywoodgolf 

Here is the 8. Great topline, minimal but appropriate offset, just good looking overall.

PXL_20220122_155935999~2.jpg

• Like 4

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

Wow, these are everything I hoped for and then some. So worth the wait and do I have work to do. 🤣 

The sound, the feel, the ball flight are just perfect. They don't just look amazing, these are legit. So happy and amazing work @haywoodgolf 

Here is the 8. Great topline, minimal but appropriate offset, just good looking overall.

PXL_20220122_155935999~2.jpg

Build specs?

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, Tupperwolf said:

Build specs?

Kuro Kage 80g stiff shafts, same as my BGD's and Concept Helix grips. They seem to work well and I got a deal on a stack of these shafts. 

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW