2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

12 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I'm at the point now where S200/300/400 is about right.

Want to clarify a bit. Like heavy but like heavy descending weight better. S400: constant vs descending. Take descending. Rifle 7.5 are descending. Don't mind the bend profile softening a bit on long end. S400U is great with muscle bound blade. 

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Want to clarify a bit. Like heavy but like heavy descending weight better. S400: constant vs descending. Take descending. Rifle 7.5 are descending. Don't mind the bend profile softening a bit on long end. S400U is great with muscle bound blade. 

I'm with you on that. In fact, I can get along with X100s in anything up to about the 6i. The long irons are not really playable for me anymore. Just too stiff and too heavy.

I'd like to try out the True Temper AMTs, because they have descending weight, but I don't want to go all in on a set without trying them properly first.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NixLix26 said:

Okay my friends. Especially you Macgregor man, you know who you are. 
help me out with these. A friend is asking any details on them. 

8311F215-45AE-4725-A217-636917ABB93B.png

2B21A3CC-8EA8-4A6D-BAB6-6E2C01872827.png

1531B236-D245-4F16-937A-839F73ECCC0A.png

9D4BBE03-2C59-44C9-AA39-80DBEB567AFB.png

366E0D09-FDD9-4586-9C09-7CDD719A984C.png

Interesting. No serial number on the ferrule? Boxed grooves. The muscle pad looks like a Muirfield, or perhaps VIP (I think the VIP muscle pad blended more smoothly into the head, especially in the mid toe area).

Square-ish toe, and no stampings on the back. Black ferrule with red band? 

I don't know what it is, but I do know that I like it!

Send out the @BIG STU alert! 

• Like 2

Looks like special order or Personal Program iron, using the VIP/Muirfield head, with a flatter sole and straighter leading edge grind.  And no stamping, of course.

They *could* be a set of VIP or Muirfields that someone had refinished with the stamps filled in, i suppose.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Looks like special order or Personal Program iron, using the VIP/Muirfield head, with a flatter sole and straighter leading edge grind.  And no stamping, of course.

They *could* be a set of VIP or Muirfields that someone had refinished with the stamps filled in, i suppose.

The contrast on the face makes me think it was a refinish. I don't ever recall any macgregor that has a bead blasted face like that for that age. Something about that contrast face... Regardless, I would have bought them. They're awesome. 

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Not sure but can only speculate. King Cat may be on to something but then again they may be some unfinished heads. The muscle is not as pronounced as a VIP and then there is the matter of the boxed grooves. I am wondering if they may have been the start of a custom set that was unfinished when Macgregor shut down. And then something more sinister--- I wonder if they slipped out the back door? 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

59 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Not sure but can only speculate. King Cat may be on to something but then again they may be some unfinished heads. The muscle is not as pronounced as a VIP and then there is the matter of the boxed grooves. I am wondering if they may have been the start of a custom set that was unfinished when Macgregor shut down. And then something more sinister--- I wonder if they slipped out the back door? 

I was thinking some sort of prototype/custom job for a pro to test out, but @Kingcat990's point about the bead-blasted face is interesting. I hadn't noticed that earlier. Now I have to check if any of my Macs have a bead-blasted face. As I'm not home right now, I have to go from memory, and I'm pretty sure my Muirfields, Muirfield 20ths, and MT Tour Forged don't have that frosted look. Not sure about my MT R58s, but they were a JDM release anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses on that mac iron.  I will share with him.  I'm not sure if he has the full set or found that single iron.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

15 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

Lol, thanks.  I figured somebody would notice it.  It's fun when you middle it but my goodness if you miss it you're better off kicking the ball.

I still have my Zing 2 2i, but I never had a 1i. I can imagine a great shot with it, though. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Related . . . unrelated to the post above. My Mac R58’s were sent off to be stripped and dipped in copper. Ferrules and shafts are all set for their return.  

Wondering how they will swing weight  with the inevitable loss of head weight. Hoping they were heavy to start. I forgot to weight the heads after I pulled them, which I normally do. Excitement I guess.

• Like 2

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

On 12/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, PeanutsDaddy said:

Deejaid,

Brushed set of beauties. Jeff Sheets nailed this design. 

I searched for a set of Apex ‘99s in good condition for years. Was able to land a full set of blades AND cb’s at a cost that was too good to pass up. Had both sets, along with a set of reissued Fluid Feels, stripped of chrome and dipped in copper. An aged finish was applied.

Every time I take them out for a round I wonder why I don’t put them into play more often. Too few rounds played and too many irons to rotate.  

275BFCAC-A97D-475C-B2D1-B4B875CAA4D4.jpeg

CE5F53E8-BFA8-4A15-BB62-D00D079BCE67.jpeg

AAE3F897-6FD1-4A92-9022-8B33E5323015.jpeg

Those are amazing!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, PeanutsDaddy said:

Related . . . unrelated to the post above. My Mac R58’s were sent off to be stripped and dipped in copper. Ferrules and shafts are all set for their return.  

Wondering how they will swing weight  with the inevitable loss of head weight. Hoping they were heavy to start. I forgot to weight the heads after I pulled them, which I normally do. Excitement I guess.

I lose anywhere from 4-11grams per head when I do chrome and nickel remover. You will get a little back when they do copper, and if their imperfections are mild, they will probably just tumble the heads and mush buff the copper. Possible you won't lose anything but fractional weight. Can't wait to see them

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

4 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

I lose anywhere from 4-11grams per head when I do chrome and nickel remover. You will get a little back when they do copper, and if their imperfections are mild, they will probably just tumble the heads and mush buff the copper. Possible you won't lose anything but fractional weight. Can't wait to see them

That was my exact experience with the past few sets. 6 - 8 gram tip weights and I was ready to go. 

I’m hoping these heads were heavier to start, but am not certain, so I’ll cross the bridge when they arrive.

They’ll be a fun build undoubtedly. 

Edited by PeanutsDaddy

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played yesterday using my Mizuno ANGC Model irons, which are from the late Eighties/early Nineties. I got them reshafted a while back with DG S400s, but haven't played them much, maybe one 9-hole round a couple of years ago. 

Anyhow, I put them in the bag a couple of weeks ago to practise with them, then bagged them yesterday. 

It was near freezing cold, so that provided me with plenty of motivation not to thin the ball, and I found myself striking them pretty well. They've got  a bevelled leading edge, and a little extra bounce because I weakened the lofts a little, and both those seemed to help with the tight lies I had yesterday as the grass is dormant here.

My driver is a bit erratic, but the biggest problem I'm having at the moment is with my wedges, especially distance control. I've been practising a ton with my wedges recently, but I'm beginning to wonder if all the hitting off mats is producing a negative effect. Last hole was a good example. I had just over 80 yards to the hole, ball on fairway, and a nice lie. I hit a 3/4 shot with my SW (57*), and it looked great in the air, right on line with the pin. Just I was thinking it'd set me up with a nice birdie chance to finish, I watched it sail over the flag and land 25ft beyond at the back of the green.

Chipping was the other big letdown. I thought I might manage a score in the mid seventies, but a few bladed chips and an OB on the 17th (sod of a hole, but that's a story for another time...) did me in for a 79. 

Irons--and the putter--were the best part of the game, probably shown by the fact I birdied two par threes, both with putts from inside 8ft. I was 6 over par on the four par-5s, which might suggest bad driving, but every time it was actually down to the third shot (and sometimes then the fourth shot after that) with the SW getting me into trouble. Real waste.

Mizuno AG Model 5i back.jpg

Mizuno AG Model 11i sole.jpg

Mizuno AG Model lineup.jpg

Edit: I didn't take the SW and 11i shown here to the course yesterday.

I love those blades! Never saw those before but now I will be on the lookout.😏 They look very compact heel to toe ❤️

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played yesterday using my Mizuno ANGC Model irons, which are from the late Eighties/early Nineties. I got them reshafted a while back with DG S400s, but haven't played them much, maybe one 9-hole round a couple of years ago. 

Anyhow, I put them in the bag a couple of weeks ago to practise with them, then bagged them yesterday. 

It was near freezing cold, so that provided me with plenty of motivation not to thin the ball, and I found myself striking them pretty well. They've got  a bevelled leading edge, and a little extra bounce because I weakened the lofts a little, and both those seemed to help with the tight lies I had yesterday as the grass is dormant here.

My driver is a bit erratic, but the biggest problem I'm having at the moment is with my wedges, especially distance control. I've been practising a ton with my wedges recently, but I'm beginning to wonder if all the hitting off mats is producing a negative effect. Last hole was a good example. I had just over 80 yards to the hole, ball on fairway, and a nice lie. I hit a 3/4 shot with my SW (57*), and it looked great in the air, right on line with the pin. Just I was thinking it'd set me up with a nice birdie chance to finish, I watched it sail over the flag and land 25ft beyond at the back of the green.

Chipping was the other big letdown. I thought I might manage a score in the mid seventies, but a few bladed chips and an OB on the 17th (sod of a hole, but that's a story for another time...) did me in for a 79. 

Irons--and the putter--were the best part of the game, probably shown by the fact I birdied two par threes, both with putts from inside 8ft. I was 6 over par on the four par-5s, which might suggest bad driving, but every time it was actually down to the third shot (and sometimes then the fourth shot after that) with the SW getting me into trouble. Real waste.

Mizuno AG Model 5i back.jpg

Mizuno AG Model 11i sole.jpg

Mizuno AG Model lineup.jpg

Edit: I didn't take the SW and 11i shown here to the course yesterday.

which wedges were you using?

3 hours ago, mbwannab said:

I love those blades! Never saw those before but now I will be on the lookout.😏 They look very compact heel to toe ❤️

They come up for sale here fairly regularly, but they might have been a Japan-only release. I *think* they are from 1992, but may have been 1987.

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

which wedges were you using?

So, the 10i is 50*, then I went to a new old Mizuno wedge that's stamped "P" but has 54* of loft, and then a Callaway MD2 T-grind 56* that I weakened a degree. 

Modern woods. It's too cold for persimmon.

I'm just going to say it, these Haywood MB's are money. First approach of the day, 7 iron aimed at the middle of the green. Put it dead center, pin high. What happens if I aim at the flag on the left edge? 🤣 

It's almost silly sometimes.

PXL_20220206_155039605~3.jpg

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I know that I'm probably being overly sentimental and showing my age here, but I keep on hoping that MacGregor will find some sort of resurgence like Hogan Golf has over the past few years.

A refined version of the M85 model blade would be a great start.

Yeah....... I know.  (Ok Boomer) 😆

• Like 2