2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

13 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very nice looking irons. That PW is just about perfect.

May be the camera angle, but the 7i looks to have more offset than both the PW and 4i. 

It is the camera angle.  They don't look like they have any more offset in person.  

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

12 minutes ago, chch3 said:

It is the camera angle.  They don't look like they have any more offset in person.  

Thought that might be the case.

Man, each time I look at that PW it grows on me more and more. The shape of it reminds me of the Mac Muirfield 20th PW, which I like, but the Daiwa has a thinner topline, which I like even better.

I have to say I've really liked my MP-20s but the 221 shape seems so much better, especially in the short irons. Going to be hard to resist pulling the trigger at some point. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 8/3/2022 at 9:17 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very nice looking irons. That PW is just about perfect.

May be the camera angle, but the 7i looks to have more offset than both the PW and 4i. 

Two points: First, the DG-273 have a lot of offset. There's the Japanese style more offset in the shorter clubs. The best looking club is the 3 or 4 iron. The 9-iron has a lot of offset and then the pitching wedge has almost none.

And, there always seems to be one hole at the course here fit into steep hillside that makes me scratch my head. But, now that I think of it, there's a course in my hometown called Eighteen Pastures, formerly Iron Mountain. The first hole comes out of a shoot and there's a ravine the length of the left side. The ravine encroaches in front of the green and the trees have all grown up around it similar to your pic. There are more unreasonable holes than reasonable holes after that, but it used to be good fun.

Here's a link to some pics of the course. The first hole is the first pic. It looks like they've put in a lot of work since I last played there.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x54842d8d2fbf77d3%3A0x4cee172028672382!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNvWwaNPOKjPS5inDhVCBJ8kKnjuDmAFoJu-ClM%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5seighteen pastures - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNvWwaNPOKjPS5inDhVCBJ8kKnjuDmAFoJu-ClM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu8Nip7bH5AhVlqFYBHR3_CEUQoip6BAhkEAM

Thought I'd take advantage of a free half hour and some lovely weather and give the old blades a clean.

20220806_114255.JPG.33cc8dcf52e5d76770cd4e52b0d83485.JPG

• Like 4

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Nice thread.  So, Tom Weiskopf "crown" irons were my first "grown up" clubs when I graduated from the kids set.  I currently game Reid Lockhart RL Blades.  The current ones are quite a bit easier to hit than the old ones, though I'm a much better golfer now than when I was a teen.  Still, those Weiskopfs were pretty.

1758916937_Myfirstirons.webp.053a0ea8f6e42e583c2c9ae692392624.webp924780190_RLBlades.jpeg.f83c037a26e4908c0661749bf07c3783.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Two points: First, the DG-273 have a lot of offset. There's the Japanese style more offset in the shorter clubs. The best looking club is the 3 or 4 iron. The 9-iron has a lot of offset and then the pitching wedge has almost none.

And, there always seems to be one hole at the course here fit into steep hillside that makes me scratch my head. But, now that I think of it, there's a course in my hometown called Eighteen Pastures, formerly Iron Mountain. The first hole comes out of a shoot and there's a ravine the length of the left side. The ravine encroaches in front of the green and the trees have all grown up around it similar to your pic. There are more unreasonable holes than reasonable holes after that, but it used to be good fun.

Here's a link to some pics of the course. The first hole is the first pic. It looks like they've put in a lot of work since I last played there.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x54842d8d2fbf77d3%3A0x4cee172028672382!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNvWwaNPOKjPS5inDhVCBJ8kKnjuDmAFoJu-ClM%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5seighteen pastures - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNvWwaNPOKjPS5inDhVCBJ8kKnjuDmAFoJu-ClM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu8Nip7bH5AhVlqFYBHR3_CEUQoip6BAhkEAM

The 9i has more offset than the PW? That's...unusual.

Is the picture from Eighteen Pastures taken from behind the first tee? 

Been awhile since I chirped up in here. Drove over to Scottsdale from SoCal this week to play some courses and meet up with a few golf pals that moved away. We played GrayHawk, TPC Scottsdale, and WeKoPa. Other than the heat, the experience down here was really great. Lush fairways and tight greens. The pin placements at all 3 courses ate us up a bit. I brought along the Marumans for this trip. When I was on, they were great, when I was off, they're a blade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Shot low 80's the first 2 days, then a dreadful 88 yesterday. Too much beer the night before and the stifling heat just flattened me on the third day.  If you venture down to the Scottsdale area, play the Grayhawk club, we all seemed to like that one the best. 

20220805_141221.jpg

20220803_112913.jpg

20220804_103134.jpg

• Like 3

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

KingCat! You inspired me to get back in here. Been thinking about it for awhile. I always think of everyone here when I bust out my MP29s and start experimenting, which I’ve done lately. My Ping i200s just aren’t as fun to hit and I don’t think the MP29s cost me a single stroke, truly. I am contemplating a new set, torn between Blueprints, i59, and i230 when it comes out. My heart says blueprint, and I think my brain sometimes says i59 or i230, but I’m not even sure about that anymore. Play what you enjoy most! Hope you guys will let me back in after my experimentation with the dark side!

• Like 4

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

32 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Hope you guys will let me back in after my experimentation with the dark side!

Of course.   🤘

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Been awhile since I chirped up in here. Drove over to Scottsdale from SoCal this week to play some courses and meet up with a few golf pals that moved away. We played GrayHawk, TPC Scottsdale, and WeKoPa. Other than the heat, the experience down here was really great. Lush fairways and tight greens. The pin placements at all 3 courses ate us up a bit. I brought along the Marumans for this trip. When I was on, they were great, when I was off, they're a blade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Shot low 80's the first 2 days, then a dreadful 88 yesterday. Too much beer the night before and the stifling heat just flattened me on the third day.  If you venture down to the Scottsdale area, play the Grayhawk club, we all seemed to like that one the best. 

20220805_141221.jpg

20220803_112913.jpg

20220804_103134.jpg

Just got back from Badlands & Moab. Devil's Tower & Denver too. Love the West.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

KingCat! You inspired me to get back in here. Been thinking about it for awhile. I always think of everyone here when I bust out my MP29s and start experimenting, which I’ve done lately. My Ping i200s just aren’t as fun to hit and I don’t think the MP29s cost me a single stroke, truly. I am contemplating a new set, torn between Blueprints, i59, and i230 when it comes out. My heart says blueprint, and I think my brain sometimes says i59 or i230, but I’m not even sure about that anymore. Play what you enjoy most! Hope you guys will let me back in after my experimentation with the dark side!

gotta be the blueprints, maybe a combo set?

Every time I have hit the blueprints at demo days I have really enjoyed them 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

55 minutes ago, craz-e said:

gotta be the blueprints, maybe a combo set?

Every time I have hit the blueprints at demo days I have really enjoyed them 

The blueprints look so good. Right now I have a 2i because that was the only OEM 2i I could find that wasn’t a driving iron or some other hideous thing with a giant sole and tons of offset. 

I was also up last night dreaming about a National Custom set, ten irons from 15 degrees to 51 with four degree increments on each and the 15 degree iron at 54 degree lie angle with one degree increments up to 63 degrees.  Something about the symmetry of it all…

Anyone tried National Custom?

Edited by bobbyclampett!!

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

10 hours ago, Pars or Doubles said:

Nice thread.  So, Tom Weiskopf "crown" irons were my first "grown up" clubs when I graduated from the kids set.  I currently game Reid Lockhart RL Blades.  The current ones are quite a bit easier to hit than the old ones, though I'm a much better golfer now than when I was a teen.  Still, those Weiskopfs were pretty.

1758916937_Myfirstirons.webp.053a0ea8f6e42e583c2c9ae692392624.webp924780190_RLBlades.jpeg.f83c037a26e4908c0661749bf07c3783.jpeg

What do you think of the Lockharts? There is a set sitting at one of my local golf shops and I've been thinking of picking them up as a backup set, but can't seem to find any information about them anywhere.

29 minutes ago, MOlson18 said:

What do you think of the Lockharts? There is a set sitting at one of my local golf shops and I've been thinking of picking them up as a backup set, but can't seem to find any information about them anywhere.

Well, I think they're easy to look at as well as hit.  As with all blades, you know how you hit the ball the moment it meets the clubface.  I also like the stock FP-50 shafts, which load nicely for me.  The lofts are traditional.

My other set are Titleist 990 irons with DGS300 shafts, and I prefer playing the Lockharts, FWIW.  I'm not a big hitter, and even 20 years ago when I bought them, my 3-iron distance at sea level was only 200.  That said, they perform well in soft and hard conditions and I am comfortable with them on pretty much every shot.  They're cast, not forged, so if you want to bend them that may not be possible/advisable.

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have other questions.

Edited by Pars or Doubles

13 minutes ago, Pars or Doubles said:

They're cast, not forged, so if you want to bend them that may not be possible/advisable.

If memory serves, they are a soft stainless, should be able to be adjusted.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So I've been playing at Sunset Grove and that gives my a 6 and 4 off the tee. The more I hit this Haywood MB 4, the more I love it. Actually went just over the green dead straight on 5 today and it was glorious. I kinda knew it was a little close, but couldn't help swinging away at it. I knew they were exactly what I was looking for when I saw them. 

I get occasional comments like "I see you have blades in your bag" and my usual response is "in no way should I, but they are just too fun not to." 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, Pars or Doubles said:

Well, I think they're easy to look at as well as hit.  As with all blades, you know how you hit the ball the moment it meets the clubface.  I also like the stock FP-50 shafts, which load nicely for me.  The lofts are traditional.

My other set are Titleist 990 irons with DGS300 shafts, and I prefer playing the Lockharts, FWIW.  I'm not a big hitter, and even 20 years ago when I bought them, my 3-iron distance at sea level was only 200.  That said, they perform well in soft and hard conditions and I am comfortable with them on pretty much every shot.  They're cast, not forged, so if you want to bend them that may not be possible/advisable.

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks! That does help me out. I do like the look of them but the cast part makes me a little nervous with how much I tinker with my loft and lie. 

16 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

The blueprints look so good. Right now I have a 2i because that was the only OEM 2i I could find that wasn’t a driving iron or some other hideous thing with a giant sole and tons of offset. 

I was also up last night dreaming about a National Custom set, ten irons from 15 degrees to 51 with four degree increments on each and the 15 degree iron at 54 degree lie angle with one degree increments up to 63 degrees.  Something about the symmetry of it all…

Anyone tried National Custom?

Will admit I am not a Ping guy in the slightest, still scarred from thinning a BeCu 4 iron when it was 5 degrees out - but the Blueprints are one release that would make me reconsider that. 

I'm still loving the VR Pros so am not looking at a change, but if I was those and the P7 TWs would be getting some serious testing. 

Edited by bodhi555
  • Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

3 hours ago, MOlson18 said:

Thanks! That does help me out. I do like the look of them but the cast part makes me a little nervous with how much I tinker with my loft and lie. 

Yeah, I've never been a tinkerer.  A comment earlier in this thread did mention that they are soft stainless, and IIRC it's 303, so maybe.  I still think of cast clubs as "bend at your own risk."

Probably been talked about on here, but got a combo set of Sub 70 TA3 3-5 and 649 MB Tour 6-9 and they’re the best blades I’ve hit by far

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 7.5 Ventus TR Black 7X

Ping G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 8X

TM GAPR Lo 17° KBS Graphite X

Ping Blueprint S KBS C Taper S+

Ping S159 49/54/59

TT DG TI S400

Ping PLD 2D

• 2 weeks later...

A couple developments in my reshaft projects....

First, I decided to pick up a set of Nippon shafts for one of my sets; thinking about trying Nippon steel, which is generally smoother than anything else.  Plus, I'm getting to the point where I'm getting better results in the 95g and 105g shaft range, and seem to be needing to drop a flex.  Picked up a set of NS 950GH in stiff, 2-PW.  Thinking they may go in a set of Vibration Matched Golden Rams, or possibly Mizuno MS-11s.

Still have my NV95 and Rapid Taper 95 shafts lying around, combined with Purefit 1020 blades, Wood Bros blades, Ram FX Nickel Tour Grinds, and even Maxfli Revolution Black Dot irons.  I've decided to hold off on those projects, primarily because I'd feel compelled to take them to the course.

Why is that a problem, you ask?  In mid-July, my handicap was 8.7.  I was playing occasionally decent golf, intermixed with sub-mediocrity.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, as it were.  Since that time, I've been scoring much better, and have lowered my hdcp to 6.4.  I've even had a couple rounds where I was threatening a new personal best, before once again snatching defeat from the jaws of competence.  

With the Club Championship this upcoming weekend, I haven't wanted to disrupt that with newly assembled toys to take to the course.  Hence the pause button being pressed on my reshaft projects.  🙂

I think I've decided the Recoil Proto 125s in my MP-37s are a bit much.  Lacking a shaft puller, I'll likely have those shafts pulled, and install something else in them.  Maybe these could be the heads to get the Nippons above....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wlittle1274 said:

Any of you guys seen these yet?  Miura is calling them the "Retro MB-101". I saw someone post these on Instagram this morning and I couldn't help myself.  The retro Miura logo on the muscle looks so good.  This will be my first set of Miura's ever.  Can't wait to see what they're all about 

Retro MB-101

They are a great looking blade for sure

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

A couple developments in my reshaft projects....

First, I decided to pick up a set of Nippon shafts for one of my sets; thinking about trying Nippon steel, which is generally smoother than anything else.  Plus, I'm getting to the point where I'm getting better results in the 95g and 105g shaft range, and seem to be needing to drop a flex.  Picked up a set of NS 950GH in stiff, 2-PW.  Thinking they may go in a set of Vibration Matched Golden Rams, or possibly Mizuno MS-11s.

Still have my NV95 and Rapid Taper 95 shafts lying around, combined with Purefit 1020 blades, Wood Bros blades, Ram FX Nickel Tour Grinds, and even Maxfli Revolution Black Dot irons.  I've decided to hold off on those projects, primarily because I'd feel compelled to take them to the course.

Why is that a problem, you ask?  In mid-July, my handicap was 8.7.  I was playing occasionally decent golf, intermixed with sub-mediocrity.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, as it were.  Since that time, I've been scoring much better, and have lowered my hdcp to 6.4.  I've even had a couple rounds where I was threatening a new personal best, before once again snatching defeat from the jaws of competence.  

With the Club Championship this upcoming weekend, I haven't wanted to disrupt that with newly assembled toys to take to the course.  Hence the pause button being pressed on my reshaft projects.  🙂

I think I've decided the Recoil Proto 125s in my MP-37s are a bit much.  Lacking a shaft puller, I'll likely have those shafts pulled, and install something else in them.  Maybe these could be the heads to get the Nippons above....

Trending in the right direction. Good luck in your club championships.

Love the feel and flight of those Nippons.  Also firmly set in the 95 - 105 weight range. 

Look forward to the final build pictures. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

17 hours ago, wlittle1274 said:

Any of you guys seen these yet?  Miura is calling them the "Retro MB-101". I saw someone post these on Instagram this morning and I couldn't help myself.  The retro Miura logo on the muscle looks so good.  This will be my first set of Miura's ever.  Can't wait to see what they're all about 

Retro MB-101

Look good, a bit like the Maxfli Aussie Blades (TM-92) I have in my classic bag right now. Small compact head, a little trail edge relief, and a straight muscle pad.

2126815488_MaxfliTM-925iback.JPG.5212a60b65f8700d3568ab6f649793ba.JPG

• Like 4