2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

9 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got into a PGA Superstore today and was able to look at some full sets of some mbs: MP221, Wilson Staff, P7MB, Miura. Actually the P7MBs were by far my favorite

to look at from address. Made of 1025 steel, too. Obviously a favorite on the PGA Tour… 

Love the look of the P7MB's too. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got into a PGA Superstore today and was able to look at some full sets of some mbs: MP221, Wilson Staff, P7MB, Miura. Actually the P7MBs were by far my favorite

to look at from address. Made of 1025 steel, too. Obviously a favorite on the PGA Tour… 

I think most of the Taylormade players that use the MB's still prefer the P730's or a version of said iron. 

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

54 minutes ago, craz-e said:

I think most of the Taylormade players that use the MB's still prefer the P730's or a version of said iron. 

I was actually thinking that after I posted. Not sure who, if anyone, is using P7MB. P730 sold out on TM website. Might have to drop the extra money for the P7TW. 

• Like 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

14 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I was actually thinking that after I posted. Not sure who, if anyone, is using P7MB. P730 sold out on TM website. Might have to drop the extra money for the P7TW. 

That's the way I would be going if TM was my choice 

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Since I'm a new PGA Associate and plan to play in tournaments now I can't use my J33 CBs as they're non conforming (which really sucks, they're amazing) so naturally I bought a set of blades LOL. Got some 718 MBs in good shape off the bay, going to get them reshafted. I like the overall styling and shaping of them more than the 620 MBs, namely the slightly less rounded toe. That's the entire reason I got 15 year old Bridgestone irons as they check just about every box, but too bad about the grooves. Don't want to take a chance and get called out by some gear junkie I'm smoking lmao.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

30 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Got to try a friend's SMT MBs he got a few weeks ago at the range.  Wow is all I can say.  They are impressive for the price.  

Still, I will not put down my MP33s. Have had guys at the golf club giggle and make comments about my old blades until they have to pay me after the round.  Been par to +3 with them over 18  holes this summer. 

Not much wrong with the MP33. One of the few Mizuno MBs from that time that I've never really given a full go, but the MP4s I play are supposed to be successors to the MP33s.

Incidentally, I saw a NOS set of MP33s up for sale here for around US$2,000.

I passed.

• Like 2

Played 3 rounds in last 2 months, rusty but swing feels good. About a month ago  keyed in on different way to manage my swing. I now care about shoulder joints, hip joints and elbows. .The rest, do well when those do well. Upper swing center, pivot & hand path get fixed. Played, had 6 doubles but went 3 over for other 12. In form 2 doubles is normal.. Hit more fairways & greens than in 2 years. Drove to front edge of 525 par 5 in 2 with chilidog & beer in hand. Parred the 1 & 2 HCP holes. It was a lot of fun.The Maruman's are king of distance control. But my maturation on reading conditions has helped a lot. Swinging so well, may break out the Titleist T's, vowed I would not till it was deserving. Speaking of Titleist, their new TSR's will be in my bag. The TSR4 is the bomb, will sign up for a fitting next month. It's September and it's still fun, so it's a good year, lol.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Ummm, I bought a set P7MBs yesterday on-line without ever hitting them. I bought them because 1) they were the best looking MB to my eye at the PGASS, 2) they are made of 1025 steel, 3) tour adoption of TM MBs is high (although I realize most, if not all, is the P730 or P7TW, 4) it was super easy to order them off TM website. I am so excited to have a new MB again. I haven't had a new set of MBs in like 10 years (last set was the Cobra Amp Cell Pro, which I loved). I was talked out of my last blades and into a Ping i200 because they are supposedly more forgiving (I know, no debating club heads...), but iron play has been by far the weakest part of my game over the last ten years (really my whole life), so obviously they don't help THAT much (if at all). I figure having the MBs is more fun, I like the looks of them more, and I think I play better with MBs. So there. I will let you all know how they go.

I like your choice, they are gorgeous.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Ummm, I bought a set P7MBs yesterday on-line without ever hitting them. I bought them because 1) they were the best looking MB to my eye at the PGASS, 2) they are made of 1025 steel, 3) tour adoption of TM MBs is high (although I realize most, if not all, is the P730 or P7TW, 4) it was super easy to order them off TM website. I am so excited to have a new MB again. I haven't had a new set of MBs in like 10 years (last set was the Cobra Amp Cell Pro, which I loved). I was talked out of my last blades and into a Ping i200 because they are supposedly more forgiving (I know, no debating club heads...), but iron play has been by far the weakest part of my game over the last ten years (really my whole life), so obviously they don't help THAT much (if at all). I figure having the MBs is more fun, I like the looks of them more, and I think I play better with MBs. So there. I will let you all know how they go.

Looking forward to a review!

I have to admit its a blade I have not had the opportunity to have a play with 

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

55 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That bolded part is what it's all about👍. For us amateurs who play the game for enjoyment, play whatever gives you the most enjoyment. That might mean the clubs that give you the lowest scores, or clubs that feel the best to hit or look the coolest in the bag.

That's why I put persimmon woods in the bag for about half my rounds. Not easier to hit, but a lot of fun to play, and I like having to think my way around a course knowing that I can't just bomb every shot.

I have a stats tracking app and I am positive strokes gained relative to scratch on driving, short game, and putting and I’m -2.5 on approach shots with the i200s… I can almost guarantee I will do no worse with these and I’d bet a lot I do better. A good shot is a good shot and a bad shot is a bad shot. It’s so much more enjoyable to look down at something sexy and have that incredible feel when you do flush one. Can’t wait to get these babies in my hands!

• Like 4

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

24 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I have a stats tracking app and I am positive strokes gained relative to scratch on driving, short game, and putting and I’m -2.5 on approach shots with the i200s… I can almost guarantee I will do no worse with these and I’d bet a lot I do better. A good shot is a good shot and a bad shot is a bad shot. It’s so much more enjoyable to look down at something sexy and have that incredible feel when you do flush one. Can’t wait to get these babies in my hands!

Exactly!

• Like 3

Got my P7MBs in today and immediately took them to the range. Range was a bit muddy and my spot was a bit bare, but that was a good thing, as these babies were instantly teaching me to catch ball first and compress. No getting away with a slightly fatted shot. Took me a few shots, but once I did I was hitting some glorious balls with amazing contact.

Not sure how I feel about the KBS shafts comapared to the DG100s. When I really caught one perfectly, it seemed like the KBS wasn't quite as tight and responsive as the DG. Felt a little sloppier and a little more vague than the DGX100. I think I've read it elsewhere (maybe in this thread) that the tighter and stiffer and more solid the shaft, the more you can feel the butteryness of the blade. Tour issue DG X7s next time....? And the same for the firmer the grip? The firmest grip I've ever felt is the Golf Pride Z-cords. I got MCCs on this set, which is pretty nice, but definitely not as firm as the Z-cord.... 

Edited by bobbyclampett!!
  • Like 1

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

12 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

KBS wasn't quite as tight and responsive as the DG. Felt a little sloppier and a little more vague than the DGX100. I think I've read it elsewhere (maybe in this thread) that the tighter and stiffer and more solid the shaft, the more you can feel the butteryness of the blade. Tour issue DG X7s next time....?

Maybe DG S400? Or a DG 120 for slightly lighter weight. X100 or DG-7 is top of food chain in terms of spin & weight

When setup is stout, you tend to innately swing harder and my suspicion is that's where your buttery perception may derive. This is thing, how you perceive how a shaft ought to work effects how you apply the work. It's why it's hard to hit long irons, perception is to swing them like #5W when you should be more like #8i. Choose a shaft that pulls your swing in right direction, because you always work to shaft and it';s never the other way. Good luck w/ P7's, they look great to my eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Maybe DG S400? Or a DG 120 for slightly lighter weight. X100 or DG-7 is top of food chain in terms of spin & weight

When setup is stout, you tend to innately swing harder and my suspicion is that's where your buttery perception may derive. This is thing, how you perceive how a shaft ought to work effects how you apply the work. It's why it's hard to hit long irons, perception is to swing them like #5W when you should be more like #8i. Choose a shaft that pulls your swing in right direction, because you always work to shaft and it';s never the other way. Good luck w/ P7's, they look great to my eye.

Hey thanks for the tip, Nard! I agree with you. It's funny, a softer set-up might help me swing better, with better rhythm and tempo, but may not provide the exact feel I desire at impact. Which is more important? Probably swinging better, but as people have said here, do you play golf to score or do you play for that feeling of an incredible, perfectly struck shot? Obviously the holy grail would be a shaft that helps you swing better AND gives you the perfect feel at impact. I'm sure that's why there are so many shaft companies and options out there. I get overwhelmed and don't really like "getting fit", so I end up just buying stuff and trying it. Also, different clubs feel different on different days. Oh what a game!

• Like 1

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Got the P7MBs back on the range for session #2. It's love. Was striping them. So solid. Felt better about the shafts, too. I could go on and on about how MBs are better than shovels, but I know that's not what we do here. We all already get it. Just promise me this: never let me drift back into non-mb irons. Seriously. #mbforlife. There are too many blades, too little time. I want to try all of them. It got me thinking though: what is the most solid mb out there these days? Miura? National Custom Works? Anything else? Are all MBs equally solid? Do you all agree that the stiffer, tighter shafts and firmer grips give you the best feel, all things in the head being equal? Kind of like driving a sports car? The stiffer the suspension, the more responsive?

• Like 2

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got the P7MBs back on the range for session #2. It's love. Was striping them. So solid. Felt better about the shafts, too. I could go on and on about how MBs are better than shovels, but I know that's not what we do here. We all already get it. Just promise me this: never let me drift back into non-mb irons. Seriously. #mbforlife. There are too many blades, too little time. I want to try all of them. It got me thinking though: what is the most solid mb out there these days? Miura? National Custom Works? Anything else? Are all MBs equally solid? Do you all agree that the stiffer, tighter shafts and firmer grips give you the best feel, all things in the head being equal? Kind of like driving a sports car? The stiffer the suspension, the more responsive?

For me the endgame is NCW. The sky's the limit for how custom you want to get. I don't think it gets any better. I will without a doubt get a set in the future when I have some more money.

• Like 4

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Bridgestone Tour B X

13 hours ago, Nard_S said:

S400 is actually slightly heavier than the X100's

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

True, know that but X100 is higher spinning. MB's already elevate spin, by like 10%, that is a bigger deal than most acknowledge. I have to work to lower spin, have plenty with S400, blade and pro v ball. 

Big fan of the s400's. Wish I had gone for those in my current irons instead of the s300's 

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

5 minutes ago, craz-e said:

Big fan of the s400's. Wish I had gone for those in my current irons instead of the s300's 

S400 is my favorite, they are near perfect. Like the constant weight and the descending equally.

Never got on with X100, at this point it's mental because I'm fine with Rifle 7.5. So who knows.

• Like 2

Just got the 718s in. Gonna get these reshafted with my LZs, can't wait to take em out!

20220902_193114.jpg.0391a99025743ea2344967a50abe66be.jpg

• Like 4

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Bridgestone Tour B X

14 minutes ago, Yoshifan151 said:

Just got the 718s in. Gonna get these reshafted with my LZs, can't wait to take em out!

20220902_193114.jpg.0391a99025743ea2344967a50abe66be.jpg

Those are purdy. 😍

• Like 2

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:18 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That bolded part is what it's all about👍. For us amateurs who play the game for enjoyment, play whatever gives you the most enjoyment. That might mean the clubs that give you the lowest scores, or clubs that feel the best to hit or look the coolest in the bag.

That's why I put persimmon woods in the bag for about half my rounds. Not easier to hit, but a lot of fun to play, and I like having to think my way around a course knowing that I can't just bomb every shot.

Me too,

been playing my Muirfield 20th

and persimmon all summer and it’s been a blast. 

• Like 2

[b][i]Classic Bag[/i][/b]
Cleveland Classic Jumbo S400
Cleveland Classic R75 3 Wood S400
Macgregor M75 4 Wood S500
Macgregor Muirfield 20th 2-PW
Cleveland Byron Nelson 50th BeCu 56 & 60 Wedges
Designed By Cleveland BeCu Putter

[b][i]Modern Bag[/i][/b]
Bridgestone J40 430 Ysq st stiff
TEE CB4 13* 3 Wood 85 gram Whiteboard Stiff
TEE CB3 18* 5 Wood 95 gram Speeder
Calaway Tour Authenic Prototype Irons 3-Pw
Callaway V forged copper wedges 54 bent to 52 & 58
Odyssey White Hot #8

Putter changes between my assortment of 8802, Bullseye and #9 styles

31 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Love the Muirfield 20ths. I recently added a 2i to my set, and that's fun to hit. 

They're oe of my favourite iron sets, and I've got/been through quite a few.

Been playing my non 20ths front line since April---- On the real vintage rounds I have been switching around iron some but have narrowed it down to 2 either my FC4000s or my infamous Mac Hogan VIPs

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 8/30/2022 at 9:18 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very well said my sentiments exactly---- I play what I want to when I want to--- Do not give two flips what anyone says--- I am retired both from work and competetive golf and do not keep a stipulated handicap. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick