Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 8/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, Nard_S said:

Played 3 rounds in last 2 months, rusty but swing feels good. About a month ago  keyed in on different way to manage my swing. I now care about shoulder joints, hip joints and elbows. .The rest, do well when those do well. Upper swing center, pivot & hand path get fixed. Played, had 6 doubles but went 3 over for other 12. In form 2 doubles is normal.. Hit more fairways & greens than in 2 years. Drove to front edge of 525 par 5 in 2 with chilidog & beer in hand. Parred the 1 & 2 HCP holes. It was a lot of fun.The Maruman's are king of distance control. But my maturation on reading conditions has helped a lot. Swinging so well, may break out the Titleist T's, vowed I would not till it was deserving. Speaking of Titleist, their new TSR's will be in my bag. The TSR4 is the bomb, will sign up for a fitting next month. It's September and it's still fun, so it's a good year, lol.

LOL drove a par 5 in 2 with beer and chilidog in hand--- Love it IMHO that is what fun golf is all about

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 9/1/2022 at 10:10 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got the P7MBs back on the range for session #2. It's love. Was striping them. So solid. Felt better about the shafts, too. I could go on and on about how MBs are better than shovels, but I know that's not what we do here. We all already get it. Just promise me this: never let me drift back into non-mb irons. Seriously. #mbforlife. There are too many blades, too little time. I want to try all of them. It got me thinking though: what is the most solid mb out there these days? Miura? National Custom Works? Anything else? Are all MBs equally solid? Do you all agree that the stiffer, tighter shafts and firmer grips give you the best feel, all things in the head being equal? Kind of like driving a sports car? The stiffer the suspension, the more responsive?

The feel can be subjective for a lot of factors and results can be too. Now for me I need a softer shaft to give it some bottom end kick. I more than likely do not have nearly the swing speed as you do. Taking from the shafts you are playing if you hit one of mine I see a high hook.

On the racing analogy that can be subjective too. Myself I ran dirt and prefer a rear leaf spring car with a soft RR where on dirt I can set it in the turns. But like blade irons that is what I learned with. 

On solid feel that can be subjective too. Me I like the older blades which to my feel are firmer. I did play a set of MP-33s for a couple of years and true they feel softer than the Macs and Spaldings I grew up playing. With my friend being the former Miura dealer in this area before he retired I had the opportunity to hit a lot of Miura irons. And to me they did have that soft buttery feel and I could have adapted. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

On solid feel that can be subjective too. Me I like the older blades which to my feel are firmer.

Very likely a function of the golf balls being used.  Hitting a wound ball with a Mizuno MS-11 is so soft it can be indistinct.  

My Rams are in that firmer zip code, along with Hogans on the firmer side.  When I started with blades, I was playing softer balls, including the Maxfli solid core wound stuff (Rev, A10, M3).  And then there were the HT-100s....

Which is why I gravitate towards the lower compression urethane balls now.  What we learn with.  😉

I've always thought the MacGregors and Wilson Staffs were a soft solid, or solid soft.  Best way I can think to describe them.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL drove a par 5 in 2 with beer and chilidog in hand--- Love it IMHO that is what fun golf is all about

Haha, it is. Normally I do nuts and water at the turn. don't drink all that much on course. But I was like, "around now wheels get jittery, screw it, chilidog & beer". pounded the ball down left side ( dog leg left). Had an angle, launched a pure #3W. Hit front.  But pin was all the way back. 3 putt for par, figures, lol.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:07 PM, Nard_S said:

True, know that but X100 is higher spinning.

Really? I switched from S400 to X100 in wedges and feel the opposite. I also switched from S400 to DG120X100 in irons and feel much more stable. Not sure if this directly applies to lower spin but it feels like it does.

Anyway, just want to say that the 120g DG shafts are a great option for anyone who is in between flexes. I am squarely between DG S3/400 and X100, and I play the 120g X100’s soft stepped 1x and they feel stable and smooth in my blades.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

3 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Really? I switched from S400 to X100 in wedges and feel the opposite.

Spin or profile, both dunno, I balloon X100. Can't stand them or is it they don't like me. Have X100 Lite in Mac's. Not a pretty sight. S300 SL is very undesirable too. Have PX6.0, not a huge fan, but they're okay. High spin there. Have S.P. Blue, not blown away but they are nice. Have played my best w/S400, Rifle X so far.

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Been playing my non 20ths front line since April---- On the real vintage rounds I have been switching around iron some but have narrowed it down to 2 either my FC4000s or my infamous Mac Hogan VIPs

I need to put by Muirfields in the bag soon. I don't think I've played them at all this year.

Although I prefer the feel of the 20ths, I like the shape of the PW in the original Muirfields more.

• Like 2

Got the P7MBs out on the course today. I love them. I compared the 3i to the Blueprint 2i and the BP is a lot smaller in all regards, and I think I like the deeper, larger face of the P7MB. It’s just perfect. They look great behind the ball and inspire confidence and feel great when struck perfectly. They seem easy to work and flight down and take speed and spin off. So fun. Love the minimal offset. Feels like I can feel where the club face is so much better than with a ton of offset. I just need to commit to a steeper angle of attack and catching ball first and commit to taking a divot. When I do that right it’s pure magic. 

• Like 3

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I need to put by Muirfields in the bag soon. I don't think I've played them at all this year.

Although I prefer the feel of the 20ths, I like the shape of the PW in the original Muirfields more.

I agree on the PW shape of the PW on the original Muirfields. The set I am playing now came straight off the scrap pile. They did not have a matching PW but had a M-85 which the lofts match up perfectly. That set is unusual. I had found them like 4 years ago and of course saved them. I had never hit them was rumminging around the shop and found them. Got to really looking and discovered that they had the thin black label TT R shafts which is unusual for those. Usually they are either S-300 or S-400. Threw them in the bag for a vintage round on a whim. Those things hit good better feel than any other Muirfield or VIP I ever hit. I can tell you someone had fine tuned them. Now they have what I assume to be the original ferrules with SNs but they do not have a special order designation. With the gaps for me I do not need the PW per say but carry that Vokey bent to 51 and another Vokey at 58*. Who ever "tuned" those clubs how ever they did it knew their stuff. I need to pull the numbers one day and if someone has the list and run the serial numbers. Another thing on them is they have pristine GP Victory cords on them aligned perfectly. I am thinking someone tuned them and then they were stored carefully over the years. I do know up until I started playing them they had not been hit much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I agree on the PW shape of the PW on the original Muirfields. The set I am playing now came straight off the scrap pile. They did not have a matching PW but had a M-85 which the lofts match up perfectly. That set is unusual. I had found them like 4 years ago and of course saved them. I had never hit them was rumminging around the shop and found them. Got to really looking and discovered that they had the thin black label TT R shafts which is unusual for those. Usually they are either S-300 or S-400. Threw them in the bag for a vintage round on a whim. Those things hit good better feel than any other Muirfield or VIP I ever hit. I can tell you someone had fine tuned them. Now they have what I assume to be the original ferrules with SNs but they do not have a special order designation. With the gaps for me I do not need the PW per say but carry that Vokey bent to 51 and another Vokey at 58*. Who ever "tuned" those clubs how ever they did it knew their stuff. I need to pull the numbers one day and if someone has the list and run the serial numbers. Another thing on them is they have pristine GP Victory cords on them aligned perfectly. I am thinking someone tuned them and then they were stored carefully over the years. I do know up until I started playing them they had not been hit much.

Sounds like a good find. Another scrapheap gem. I know what you mean about a well-tuned set. A few years ago, the local golf shop had a second hand set of Titleist blades (712MB, I think) that belonged to a pro. There was another second hand set of the same blades, but this one was off the rack. I tried them both out in the net, and the pro's set just felt so well-balanced throughout the set. 

Don't know what was different, but they didn't hit like the OTR set.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Taking two shots to go 500+ and onto the dance floor only to take another 3 to score out is really what golf is all about lol. 

I can go one better. A few months ago, I got on a par five in two and had a 25-foot eagle putt. 

Walked off with a bogey😱

That was probably my worst putting round ever. 43 putts total.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

Taking two shots to go 500+ and onto the dance floor only to take another 3 to score out is really what golf is all about lol. 

On the flipside is the rarer beast... par 5...tee shot pulled left in trees...2nd shot pushed into trees on the right...3rd shot thinned recovery through back of green...4th shot thinned chip hits pin and drops for birdie. No pictures on the scorecard 🙂

• Like 4

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

35 minutes ago, mahonie said:

On the flipside is the rarer beast... par 5...tee shot pulled left in trees...2nd shot pushed into trees on the right...3rd shot thinned recovery through back of green...4th shot thinned chip hits pin and drops for birdie. No pictures on the scorecard 🙂

It didn't take me all that long to recall something very similar. Drive right rough. Iron pulled short left. Thin pitch to a blind pin. Hit pin and make the 3 footer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

It didn't take me all that long to recall something very similar. Drive right rough. Iron pulled short left. Thin pitch to a blind pin. Hit pin and make the 3 footer.

Have you guys been watching me play? You just described my game in a nutshell !😅

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

25 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Friend of mine made a par on a par 5 hole, the ball never touching grass.  Tee shot flew into fairway bunker.  Second shot, same.  Third flies into greenside bunker.  Fourth, thinned it into sand on other side of green.  Fifth shot skulled again, hits stick on the fly and drops straight into the hole without touching the green.

He still laughs about it

What are the odds of that occurring?  Zilly to one?  Couldn't do that if you tried.  Can relate to the bunker to bunker approach shots though.  Especially the thin and skull part.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Only hole in one I've seen in person...my mate push slices his tee shot 25 yards right of green, hits a tree nice and solid sending the ball careening across the green, hits the pin at speed and drops. Frankly, I was embarrassed but my mate did a Larry Mize around the tee!

On the same hole, I saw a playing partner hole his provisional ball after pulling his first tee shot. We found his first ball and he finished with a 5 after chunking a couple of chips.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

What are the odds of that occurring?  Zilly to one?  Couldn't do that if you tried.  Can relate to the bunker to bunker approach shots though.  Especially the thin and skull part.  

Adding to the irony, he's a moderately accomplished player.  He's currently a 6 hdcp, but has been as low as 2 or 3.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

11 hours ago, Nard_S said:

One time, pulled deep into the woods, hard kick out backwards to fairway, 2nd deep pull into woods, kicks out laterally, third pull hits tree, clips branch, bounces up cart path makes it uphill to front edge of green, Drain a 30 foot double break putt for par.

I gave that a "like", though if 'd been playing against you when you did that, I'm pretty sure my reaction would have been different🤣

• Like 2

P7MBs on a firm turf, links style course today. So much fun. My ground contact is so much better. I was keeping score of my contact on irons on each hole (thin, fat, or good) and not using tees on par threes to practice and by the end I was flushing everything. It’s just the best feeling. I don’t have eyes for any other blade or iron at this point. It’s pure love. 

• Like 2

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

11 minutes ago, Kingcat990 said:

The extreme heat in SoCal is pushing critters out and about. This fella walked across the tee box when I was teeing off yesterday morning 🤨. For reference, that's a PRGR 460cc driver. 

20220904_075551.jpg

IMG_4815_20220904_080001.jpg

Are you sure it’s not Taylor Made’s new Spider Driver?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

16 hours ago, Kingcat990 said:

The extreme heat in SoCal is pushing critters out and about. This fella walked across the tee box when I was teeing off yesterday morning 🤨. For reference, that's a PRGR 460cc driver. 

20220904_075551.jpg

IMG_4815_20220904_080001.jpg

What sort of spider is that? I'm glad we don't have anything like that around here because the screams from Mrs N_C_N would break glass.

4 hours ago, craz-e said:

Couple of photos from yesterday.

the sticks with a little added lead tape and one of me sinking a nice 9’ putt for a bird. I added the Callaway MB’s earlier this year and they have been so consistent for me. Ended up level par after hitting into water on the last and making a double. Ouch! 2DD2A6A9-33D0-40C9-9714-A1A1B63E6A93.jpeg.77ebabd34479f1dc5b8413329dd69379.jpeg

FD94FC00-A4B4-4761-975A-16923C870F0B.jpeg

Oh how I miss QLD. Apex MB are wonderful irons. Those and my STs are by far the best I've hit in the last couple of years. I also have no idea how more people don't putt lead hand low - infinitely better IMO haha. Nice round. 

• Like 1