Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Kids are leaving, starting to play again after playing a lot and being good a decade or two ago.  660s user since they were new... mp33, 681 and staff blades before them.  Got some t100 this year to get going again that I both love and hate.  The toe shots (my miss) are smooth, but the lack of feedback bothers me and I worried about getting lazy and not better (did not happen, so far).  I like that the t100s are an inch longer, or maybe more.  Now that I have the swing mostly grooved again, I am refinishing the 660s and will reshaft them 1 inch longer (maybe even 1.5 inches).  When comparing lofts, the 660s still go further, launch lower and spin better than the t100s do still.  In the end, I will be happy with my t100 experience since they got me to use longer shafts, but also since I now know that they really are not all that much better if you don't need them to correct something for you.  I was amazed at how much better the blades were out of tough lies and rough too - I guess that I never new the difference.

As long as I can game them still, I like that they keep me honest and also make me better.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Finally finished one of my reshaft projects.  These are a set of Purefit 1020 blades, which I purchased from My Ostrich Golf back in 2008.  These are 3-PW, I didn't have the foresight to buy the GW or SW at the time.  Dug up the My Ostrich site on the Wayback machine, these are described as cast 1020 stainless with a mirror finish.

I've hit some of them, using them as test clubs for various graphite shafts.  They're definitely soft.  Have a killed leading edge, as well.  

Installed them on NV95 stiff iron shafts, current Aldila product.  Put some GripMaster Roo grips on them, also.  Lead taped them to D5 in the Big Stu (and NRJyzr) approved fashion, using the same cutoff Crossline 360 grip on each club before installing the Roo grips (used air and a hint of contact cement, fwiw).  Specs from the Wayback machine are below, along with a couple pics.

These will be in play tomorrow and Saturday, on a short trip to the Detroit Lakes MN area.

image.png.371a63c4953a0b009ac37fa5abb441da.png

image.png.dc0445ef03060d19e7ec717e14642bcf.png

image.png.1b495a847196c7b3b8244820027d06d1.png

Nice look set of sticks, plus some lead!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Sounds like you are playing pretty well! Pretty satisfying nailing a long one to do that, I bet. I sunk a ridiculous putt to shoot 69 on a par 70 riverside course south of Kyoto a few years ago. Maybe 50 feet and it was similar to how you describe, I hit it and knew it was good.

I played on Tuesday a Kyoto Prefecture event. 160 people. 35 degree heat. Luckily it was at a course I played earlier this year. You know the description already - not overly long, ob everywhere and side hill lies aplenty. I kept it in play (played the same Prov1x the whole way). Pulled driver all of two times. Shot 78 and finished second. Didn't hit a lot of great shots and when I hit it nice my distance was never on. That's golf. Putting and short game saved me again and again (7 GIR)... Only my 4th time out this year, but I in two tournaments I have a 1st and a 2nd, hEY!

Well done on the second place. Yep, I know that type of course. The driver stays in the bag for most of the round. That's one reason why I said the course yesterday was relatively easy: only had OB left and right on about half the holes, and the fairways are mostly generous. I hit driver on eight holes, which is quite a lot for me.

• Like 1

As I lay in my hotel room unable to sleep past 5am...  🙄

Yesterday with the Purefit blades was interesting.  They felt a little heavier than I expected, which is odd.  I had a pretty junky swing for the first 4 holes, which didn't help. 

They have a longer blade length than the Golden Rams I'd been playing the last two weeks, which created a setup issue for me, similar to what happened when I first started playing Eye2+.  I found myself setting up with them too far from the ball, and toeing a number if shots.  Especially with the long irons.  We humans are funny.

They are quite soft.  Had a couple shots that gave me a "did I hit anything" moment.  In a good way.  😊  With the toed shots early, no ugly feel; I noticed it, but no sting (or graphite dampened sting 😉).  Clubheads didnt dig, though I took a couple decent divots with the rain they've had in the area the last couple days.  The divots were strips instead of deep gouges.

Excited for today's round. 🤗 

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, NV75 X or HZRDUS 75 6.5, 43.5" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Mizuno MP-20 HMB, Steelfiber i95 S, 39.5"

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Chrome Soft custom TruVis, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, OnCore Elixr

Grips are various GripMaster leather options

7 minutes ago, SDG90 said:

After years of playing players distance irons (Vapor Pro Combo, Z565, P770) I recently made the switch to blades. Bought a set of Mizuno MP4’s a while ago, but never thought I would be good enough to put them in the bag. 

Couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to take them for a spin, bit not before some cosmetic changes. I love the look of the MP4’s, but I wasn’t a big fan of the black & white paint fill. So I decided to strip the paint with some acetone and a dentist’s tool to scratch it out. To me, they look more modern ‘naked’. 

Took them to the range on a Sunday night and I was quite surprised how good they felt. But what surprised me even more, was how easy they were to hit. I’m not a bad ball striker, but I’m miles away from playing off scratch. The dispersion pattern with the MP4’s was the tightest I had ever seen. 
This was all very promising. 

Next day I had to play a competition over 9 holes. Usually I wouldn’t game a set that I had only used once, but I was already in my car for 20 minutes before I realized I still had the MP4’s in the bag from the night before. Standing on the first tee, 520 yard par 5, I was quite nervous, knowing I wasn’t playing my trusted P770’s. I hooked my drive 30 yards left and found my ball in the trees. Punched out with a low 6 iron and left myself 150 yards in. Took a smooth 8 iron and got it within 4 feet of the flag…birdie. 

Next hole, 490 yard par 5, uphill dogleg to the left. Smoked a 6 iron off the tee to stay short of the water. Left myself 300 yards to the flag. Decided to lay up to a comfortable yardage and played a hard 7 iron. Ended up with 120 yards to the flag, playing 135, ball above my feet. Smooth 9 iron and stiffed it within 5 feet…birdie. 

I couldn’t believe what was happening and after 8 holes I was level par. I’m a 10 handicap and I have never been close to playing level par, let alone break par. Not even on 9 holes. On the last tee box I became aware of the fact that I could be breaking par today. This got the butterflies going and I messed up the hole and made bogey😅.

Finished 9 holes at 1 over par, my best score ever. The MP4’s have earned themselves a place in my bag after that round and I have loved them ever since.

475E1219-0BEF-417C-B8C9-554D8A2789F0.jpeg

24881857-6E1E-4AC0-AE12-2BA3066FDC52.jpeg

MP4’s are a classic!

• Like 3

Driver = Titleist TSR2 Tour AD IZ Stiff 

Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Plus 18* Smoke Red RDX 6.0
Irons = 4 iron Callaway TCB DG S300

5-PW Callaway Apex MB 2021 DG S300
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 51*

Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Nike SV Tour 60*

Putter = Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS or Taylormade Tour Response Stripe 

1 hour ago, SDG90 said:

After years of playing players distance irons (Vapor Pro Combo, Z565, P770) I recently made the switch to blades. Bought a set of Mizuno MP4’s a while ago, but never thought I would be good enough to put them in the bag. 

Couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to take them for a spin, bit not before some cosmetic changes. I love the look of the MP4’s, but I wasn’t a big fan of the black & white paint fill. So I decided to strip the paint with some acetone and a dentist’s tool to scratch it out. To me, they look more modern ‘naked’. 

Took them to the range on a Sunday night and I was quite surprised how good they felt. But what surprised me even more, was how easy they were to hit. I’m not a bad ball striker, but I’m miles away from playing off scratch. The dispersion pattern with the MP4’s was the tightest I had ever seen. 

Next day I had to play a competition over 9 holes. Usually I wouldn’t game a set that I had only used once, but I was already in my car for 20 minutes before I realized I still had the MP4’s in the bag from the night before. Standing on the first tee, 520 yard par 5, I was quite nervous, knowing I wasn’t playing my trusted P770’s. I hooked my drive 30 yards left and found my ball in the trees. Punched out with a low 6 iron and left myself 150 yards in. Took a smooth 8 iron and got it within 4 feet of the flag…birdie. 

Next hole, 490 yard par 5, uphill dogleg to the left. Smoked a 6 iron off the tee to stay short of the water. Left myself 300 yards to the flag. Decided to lay up to a comfortable yardage and played a hard 7 iron. Ended up with 120 yards to the flag, playing 135, ball above my feet. Smooth 9 iron and stiffed it within 5 feet…birdie. 

I couldn’t believe what was happening and after 8 holes I was level par. I’m a 10 handicap and I have never been close to playing level par, let alone break par. Not even on 9 holes. On the last tee box I became aware of the fact that I could be breaking par today. This got the butterflies going and I messed up the hole and made bogey😅.

Finished 9 holes at 1 over par, my best score ever. The MP4’s have earned themselves a place in my bag after that round and I have loved them ever since.

4s are an awesome  set of sticks for sure!

2 hours ago, SDG90 said:

They look great without the paint.  What's the longest iron you have in the MP-4s and how is it to hit? 

1 hour ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

They look great without the paint.  What's the longest iron you have in the MP-4s and how is it to hit? 

My set goes from 3i to PW, but I don’t carry the 3i. Doesn’t go much further than my 4i and rather have the versatility of a driving iron for tee shots and stingers. Must say, the long irons suck out every little bit of confidence when looking down on them, but they are surprisingly easy to launch. I carry my 4i (24 degrees) around 195-205 yards consistently. With my old P770’s, that was a smooth 5 iron (25.5 degrees). So you definitely loose some distance. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 9o - Even Flow Riptide CB 6.0 S

Srixon ZU65 17o 2i - Miyazaki Tour Issue

Ping G410 22o 4h - Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S

Mizuno MP4 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM8 50-56-60

Scotty Cameron GOLO S

All this talk of the MP4s is tempting me to put them back in the bag!

I've been enjoying the Cobras over the summer - love the compact head and power of the Cobras, but the pure feel of the MP4s is definitely calling! I've got a links society 3-day event coming up in a few weeks (I won last year with the MP4s) and it really ought to be a no-brainer.

• Like 4

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

On 9/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Well done on the second place. Yep, I know that type of course. The driver stays in the bag for most of the round. That's one reason why I said the course yesterday was relatively easy: only had OB left and right on about half the holes, and the fairways are mostly generous. I hit driver on eight holes, which is quite a lot for me.

Hey, hope you guys stayed dry. Looks like the typhoon went a little south east of you, but surely it was raining a lot. Slow moving, desu ne?

We were supposed to go to a barbecue today, but we cancelled it and it turned out being a really nice day. Looks like we'll see a little wind and rain tonight. In preparation I pulled an old set of Conductors out of the attic and there is just something about this set... The Conductor Pro. Picked up a few years ago and only took out twice. I remember hitting some really nice shots with them - Long irons set up so nice and the short irons have slight reverse offset (more offset in them than long irons). I put them up against a set of KMF ( Katsuhiro Miura Factory) cbs I just picked up and you can really see similarities. I'll take a few pics after I pour another drink.

Conductorad.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Hey, hope you guys stayed dry. Looks like the typhoon went a little south east of you, but surely it was raining a lot. Slow moving, desu ne?

We were supposed to go to a barbecue today, but we cancelled it and it turned out being a really nice day. Looks like we'll see a little wind and rain tonight. In preparation I pulled an old set of Conductors out of the attic and there is just something about this set... The Conductor Pro. Picked up a few years ago and only took out twice. I remember hitting some really nice shots with them - Long irons set up so nice and the short irons have slight reverse offset (more offset in them than long irons). I put them up against a set of KMF ( Katsuhiro Miura Factory) cbs I just picked up and you can really see similarities. I'll take a few pics after I pour another drink.

Conductorad.png

I think it pretty much passed right over us. Last night was pretty bad, but this morning was strangely calm. Think we were in the eye of the typhoon. The wind picked up this afternoon, but it's starting to die down down. We got a pretty large amount of rain, but the east side of the typhoon (Oita and Miyazaki) seem to have got more rain. I'd say we were pretty lucky.

Those Conductor irons are such sweet-looking blades. But those prices...😱 ¥430,000 for a full set of the Ian Woosnam irons with carbon shafts? The driver costs more than most drivers do now. 

Bubble era prices, I guess.

One fun fact I forgot to mention about yesterday's round: it was a national holiday (autumn equinox), and the course was packed. Ahead of us there appeared to be a complete beginner in the group, and ahead of them was another group with a complete beginner. It took us 3 hours...to complete nine holes. 

The second nine was a tiny, tiny bit faster, but with a nearly one-hour break for lunch thrown in, it took us over 6 hours to complete the round.🐌

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

One fun fact I forgot to mention about yesterday's round: it was a national holiday (autumn equinox), and the course was packed. Ahead of us there appeared to be a complete beginner in the group, and ahead of them was another group with a complete beginner. It took us 3 hours...to complete nine holes. 

The second nine was a tiny, tiny bit faster, but with a nearly one-hour break for lunch thrown in, it took us over 6 hours to complete the round.🐌

I played on national holidays in Japan twice. The first time was miserable and the second was the same. The second time we were a twosome and the exact same as above. Its not so bad looking at it years later, but at the time I was really not mentally prepared for that.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:51 PM, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I played on national holidays in Japan twice. The first time was miserable and the second was the same. The second time we were a twosome and the exact same as above. Its not so bad looking at it years later, but at the time I was really not mentally prepared for that.

I try to avoid national holidays, but the course we played is usually relatively quiet. On weekdays it can be almost empty, and it's usually not too difficult to get a weekend tee-time.

But on Friday, there appeared to be three competitions (I was part of one of them), and one of the competitions seemed to include a beginner in each group. 

There was one guy in the group ahead of us who had problems hitting the ball off the tee, and I saw him fresh-air once on one hole. That said, credit to the people he was with; they got him round quickly, and they weren't the ones causing the hold-up. The group ahead of them were the culprits. When I was on the tenth, that particular was just arriving on the eleventh tee, and there was no one anywhere on the eleventh hole, not even a group leaving the green or driving off in the cart.

Now, behind me I saw one group two behind us wait to tee off on the 18th until the group one behind us finished up on the 18th green.

The 18th is a par 4 of around 400 yards. There was no way any of them were going to get anywhere near the green with their tee shots, and in fact all of them ended up about 150 yards short.

Bizarre.

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

Played the 17s today…. Two rounds at the local 9 hole course. 38/36. Best thing was I put my 8802 putter in the bag and had 27 total putts! Playing again in the morning. Now the dilemma is do I play the 17s again or the STAFF Blades😂😂the Staffs have graphite which is easier on my body buttttttt, the 17s are magical! Good day gents! Hit ‘em straight! 

Can't beat an 8802 putter!

• Like 3

Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Nike SV Tour 60*

1 minute ago, boggyman said:

I see and seem to hit the line better. One in current use has no sight line or dot. It’s the one WS put back out a few years ago. I do have an almost new original 8802 as well. 

I have one as well, hasn't made it into the bag for a while but I think I will take it out for a spin in the week down to the practice putting green 

• Like 1

Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Nike SV Tour 60*

3 hours ago, boggyman said:

Played the 17s today…. Two rounds at the local 9 hole course. 38/36. Best thing was I put my 8802 putter in the bag and had 27 total putts! Playing again in the morning. Now the dilemma is do I play the 17s again or the STAFF Blades😂😂the Staffs have graphite which is easier on my body buttttttt, the 17s are magical! Good day gents! Hit ‘em straight! 

Same issue for me. My MP4s have graphite shafts, and they are definitely easier on the body (especially the elbows).

However, I've just taken them out and put the FG-62s in the bag. These have steel shafts, and after using the MP4s for couple, the difference is immediately noticeable, especially in the long irons.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 2:55 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I try to avoid national holidays, but the course we played is usually relatively quiet. On weekdays it can be almost empty, and it's usually not too difficult to get a weekend tee-time.

But on Friday, there appeared to be three competitions (I was part of one of them), and one of the competitions seemed to include a beginner in each group. 

There was one guy in the group ahead of us who had problems hitting the ball off the tee, and I saw him fresh-air once on one hole. That said, credit to the people he was with; they got him round quickly, and they weren't the ones causing the hold-up. The group ahead of them were the culprits. When I was on the tenth, that particular was just arriving on the eleventh tee, and there was no one anywhere on the eleventh hole, not even a group leaving the green or driving off in the cart.

Now, behind me I saw one group two behind us wait to tee off on the 18th until the group one behind us finished up on the 18th green.

The 18th is a par 4 of around 400 yards. There was no way any of them were going to get anywhere near the green with their tee shots, and in fact all of them ended up about 150 yards short.

Bizarre.

Had a day at the course yesterday. I was cruising through the difficult front nine at my local torture chamber. I got it up and down for birdie on the first hole from a greenside bunker. I hit the flagstick on a 50 foot putt going the perfect speed on the par 3 3rd, hit a perfect 3/4 wedge from an uphill lie behind the hole to a blind green and lipped out the putt, smashed a drive on the 5th leaving a 75 yard wedge which I hit 80 and sucked back pin high and of course missed the putt. But, I was playing golf.

The 6th hole is the number one handicap hole. I hit my drive and it felt good. Just a nice and controlled swing and when I looked up the ball was disappeared. Some overgrown shrubs in front of the teebox I hadn't noticed caught my ball like it went into a catcher's mitt. I'd like to say that I shrugged it off and it didn't impact my game. But, I went from even par to 4 over.

I tried to see it as a test. I parred the next hole and I kind of put it behind me. It started absolutely pouring on the back nine and we were in the clouds, mist whipping through the trees, and I put some really nice controlled swings on the ball, but was more or less deflated, didn't make any putts. Just couldn't focus on the things I wanted to put into practice. I still have a long way to go with my mental game.

The same #6 teebox is where I broke a sweet Tour AD Mj driver shaft on a rather tall tee marker (and not in a fit of anger, just accidently...).

diabolichole.jpg

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Same issue for me. My MP4s have graphite shafts, and they are definitely easier on the body (especially the elbows).

However, I've just taken them out and put the FG-62s in the bag. These have steel shafts, and after using the MP4s for couple, the difference is immediately noticeable, especially in the long irons.

Indeed, especially the long irons. I love the STAFFS but cannot yet reproduce the feel of the 17s. Put a strip of lead on them but they’re still light. More lead??  I toyed with a hybrid today on some tee shots and approaches into par 5s. Longtime DI user in the 3 spot. After today, it’ll be hybrid hopefully for a while. Snagged a g425 22* to play as a 3 iron. Love long irons but getting old is a thing we can’t ignore. Shamble day tomorrow so we shall see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Last time I played in the money game I pocketed $30. That was the fist round with the 17s in a long time seemed like. Wish I could settle on a set for a while.Last time I did,my HC dropped greatly, plus I worked hard on my short game.

Edited by boggyman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Had a day at the course yesterday. I was cruising through the difficult front nine at my local torture chamber. I got it up and down for birdie on the first hole from a greenside bunker. I hit the flagstick on a 50 foot putt going the perfect speed on the par 3 3rd, hit a perfect 3/4 wedge from an uphill lie behind the hole to a blind green and lipped out the putt, smashed a drive on the 5th leaving a 75 yard wedge which I hit 80 and sucked back pin high and of course missed the putt. But, I was playing golf.

The 6th hole is the number one handicap hole. I hit my drive and it felt good. Just a nice and controlled swing and when I looked up the ball was disappeared. Some overgrown shrubs in front of the teebox I hadn't noticed caught my ball like it went into a catcher's mitt. I'd like to say that I shrugged it off and it didn't impact my game. But, I went from even par to 4 over.

I tried to see it as a test. I parred the next hole and I kind of put it behind me. It started absolutely pouring on the back nine and we were in the clouds, mist whipping through the trees, and I put some really nice controlled swings on the ball, but was more or less deflated, didn't make any putts. Just couldn't focus on the things I wanted to put into practice. I still have a long way to go with my mental game.

The same #6 teebox is where I broke a sweet Tour AD Mj driver shaft on a rather tall tee marker (and not in a fit of anger, just accidently...).

diabolichole.jpg

Now that's such a typical Japanese hole. Water (little ravine?) in front of the tee and OB, then OB both sides, and, if you go OB, a special tee for playing your next shot way more forward than most people could actually hit it. 

The left green being nice and tight to the OB is just an added bonus. Is the green as small as it looks on the diagram?

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

Indeed, especially the long irons. I love the STAFFS but cannot yet reproduce the feel of the 17s. Put a strip of lead on them but they’re still light. More lead??  I toyed with a hybrid today on some tee shots and approaches into par 5s. Longtime DI user in the 3 spot. After today, it’ll be hybrid hopefully for a while. Snagged a g425 22* to play as a 3 iron. Love long irons but getting old is a thing we can’t ignore. Shamble day tomorrow so we shall see. 

I found I can hit the MP4 4i with the graphite shaft OK. The FG-62 4i I can just about hit, but it's more effort. I have the FG-62 3i, but don't bag it. Maybe I'll put it in the bag and try if on tee shots, but it's honestly too much club for me.

My graphite shafts are ATTAS 115X shafts, which I think makes them 14~15 grams lighter than the S300s in my FG-62s. 

That seems to make enough of a difference for me. I put a Modus 115 in a RAM TW 1i recently. Not tried it out yet, but I'm hoping to have some fun with it in my next persimmon and blades round.

• Like 1