2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

915 d2 to d3 switch

DTXgolfer12

Thought i'd share my thoughts on this.....I haven't loved the new 915 d2. It sits closed and just doesn't fit my eye. The shots i've hit with this club are uncharacteristic of my misses. I've owned the two d2's before this and loved both models. This one not so much. I switched heads to the d3 yesterday and the results today were a relief. Drove the ball better than i have in two months. Not sure if there was any difference in distance but i doubt there was. Fades and draws were easier to produce. Sound was a little better too. I know most people will go for the d2 - but i really think the d3 is the better of the two in these 915's.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Shradersr' timestamp='1421649256' post='10774797']
I had the same issue with the D2 vs D3 in the stock shafts. When I changed to my personal Speeder 757 I ended up going to the D2. Either way i am a fan of the 915 line even though there are a lot of haters out there.
[/quote]

We are in the same boat there too. A speeder 757x will be the next shaft going into my d3. They're not cheap but i dont think i've tested a shaft that felt that consistent before.

I've been thinking about changing from a d3 to a d2, but the draw bias and high spin have always been my biggest concern. Seems like most pros are picking the D2 over the D3 which makes me wonder if, or how much, their d2 heads have been altered. Or perhaps paired with the aldila rogue 125, they are able to keep that spin down.

I like th[i]e D2 non centred hits go well and feels forgiving, toe strikes go furthest as is sometimes the rule, spin was low for me as I play in wind a lot but the extra launch v the D3 made it for me[/i]
[i]the only thing I don't like is the painfull and irritating head cover which never goes on first time and has frayed after only a few weeks of winter golf[/i]

[quote name='rooneps' timestamp='1421699920' post='10777977']I like th[i]e D2 non centred hits go well and feels forgiving, toe strikes go furthest as is sometimes the rule, spin was low for me as I play in wind a lot but the extra launch v the D3 made it for me[/i]
[i]the only thing I don't like is the painfull and irritating head cover which never goes on first time and has frayed after only a few weeks of winter golf[/i][/quote]

Yep. Headcover looks good but mine already has a hole in it

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1421686701' post='10776515']
Seems to me that the majority of pro's playing the d2 are guys that like to draw the ball 80% of the time. Guys like zach johnson. Guys that like to work the ball both ways Johnny walker, adam scott etc seem to prefer the d3
[/quote]
I just went thru about two thirds of the Titleist web sight before I got tired. At the point that I quit, there where 27 players using the 915 D2.......17 using the 915 D3 Some notables with the D2, Jordan Spieth...Jimmy Walker...Brooks Koepka..Zack johnson...Bill Hass...Webb Simpson...Jason Duffner...Charly Hoffman...Scott Stallings...Ben Crane
Notables with the D3...Grahm Deleat....Adam Scott...Cameron Tringale...Jaso Bohn...Erick Compton...
Not sure what this means other than, I certainly don't know how many of these guys like to draw the ball and how many like to work it both ways, but in my mind, it flies in the face of your earlier statement that the D2 is more than ever made to be played by the higher h-cap and that most Titleist purist will prefer the D3.

[quote name='rypporter' timestamp='1421683278' post='10776137']
I've been thinking about changing from a d3 to a d2, but the draw bias and high spin have always been my biggest concern. Seems like most pros are picking the D2 over the D3 which makes me wonder if, or how much, their d2 heads have been altered. Or perhaps paired with the aldila rogue 125, they are able to keep that spin down.
[/quote]
It was the same with the 913.....More tour players playing the d2 than d3. I don't think many played the rogue in that head. By the way, i liked the d3 in the 910, didn't like the 913 at all, and like the d2 in the 915.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1423066887' post='10883213']
[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1421686701' post='10776515']
Seems to me that the majority of pro's playing the d2 are guys that like to draw the ball 80% of the time. Guys like zach johnson. Guys that like to work the ball both ways Johnny walker, adam scott etc seem to prefer the d3
[/quote]
I just went thru about two thirds of the Titleist web sight before I got tired. At the point that I quit, there where 27 players using the 915 D2.......17 using the 915 D3 Some notables with the D2, Jordan Spieth...Jimmy Walker...Brooks Koepka..Zack johnson...Bill Hass...Webb Simpson...Jason Duffner...Charly Hoffman...Scott Stallings...Ben Crane
Notables with the D3...Grahm Deleat....Adam Scott...Cameron Tringale...Jaso Bohn...Erick Compton...
Not sure what this means other than, I certainly don't know how many of these guys like to draw the ball and how many like to work it both ways, but in my mind, it flies in the face of your earlier statement that the D2 is more than ever made to be played by the higher h-cap and that most Titleist purist will prefer the D3.
[/quote]

I'm thinking koepka likes it

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I went the opposite way as well and changed from D3 to D2.

Just my opinion but the 915 D3 has too much bulge and roll on the face. To me, I always felt like I was hitting it with a glancing blow and never just straight on Hammer vs Nail. Also, the D3 is audibly higher pitched than the D2 counterpart. I do like the head-shape of the D3 better (but not as good as my 913 D3) than the 915 D2 but after two or three balls I grew accustom to it and focused on the ball and not the bat.

Spin on the 915 D2 is actually less than my previous 913 D3 and to me that, combined with the forgiveness across the face, makes the D2 a better option for me. Others may need less spin and lower launch but I'm quite happy with my choice of trading the D3 for the D2...

PING G430 10K MAX 10.5° - GD Tour AD DI 7x

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 3HL 16.5° (@15.5°) - Mitsubishi Kai’li Blue 80x

TITLEIST U510 2 iron - GD Tour AD DI 95x
PING i530 4-PW - Project X 6.0
TAYLORMADE MG3 46° (@48°) & TW-Grind 56°/60° - DG Tour Issue S400
PUTTERS (in rotation) Scotty SuperSelect Newport+ , Odyssey 11 2-ball, TaylorMade Spider Tour X
SRIXON Z Star Diamond

GOLF PRIDE Tour Velvet cord

[quote name='tnvolfan' timestamp='1423113371' post='10888209']
I went the opposite way as well and changed from D3 to D2.

Just my opinion but the 915 D3 has too much bulge and roll on the face. To me, I always felt like I was hitting it with a glancing blow and never just straight on Hammer vs Nail. Also, the D3 is audibly higher pitched than the D2 counterpart. I do like the head-shape of the D3 better (but not as good as my 913 D3) than the 915 D2 but after two or three balls I grew accustom to it and focused on the ball and not the bat.

Spin on the 915 D2 is actually less than my previous 913 D3 and to me that, combined with the forgiveness across the face, makes the D2 a better option for me. Others may need less spin and lower launch but I'm quite happy with my choice of trading the D3 for the D2...
[/quote]

Weird; exactly what I was experiencing. So I switched today. Round tomorrow; we shall see.

Played a round with the D2 this morning. No question for ME it's more rewarding than the D3.

Much easier to hit well. Not sure if it's bulge/roll, but for my swing it works better.

I had started with the 915D2; did well, but tested a D3 and had a great day, so I switched. Live and learn: A few minutes on a sim is not enough indication to know which will suit you.

[quote name='Exist' timestamp='1423182299' post='10894387']
Have you guys that are bagging the D2 moved the surefit away from A1?

I'm missing with my D2 hard left which isn't normally my miss, going to try it in C1 and see if this changes anything before I try a D3 head.
[/quote]

Currently playing mine in the A2 position because I shortened the shaft 1/4" and wanted a little more upright lie angle. Results are really good at the moment. I have ZERO issues with hard left. I am hitting baby draws between 3-5 yards. I can hit baby fades with it as well when needed but my normal shot is a slight draw.

I would try B1 first to flatten out the lie angle and to open the face angle a bit and go from there (assuming you're happy with current launch). After that go to C4, B4 and then finally to C1. Are you hitting it hard left with the 3-wood off the tee?

PUTTERS (in rotation) Scotty SuperSelect Newport+ , Odyssey 11 2-ball, TaylorMade Spider Tour X
SRIXON Z Star Diamond

[quote name='Dawggolf' timestamp='1423183099' post='10894471']
I got fit for a 913 D3 and hit the 915 at a demo day. The good news was I was fitted for the same shaft both times, whiteboard 80 in stiff. The bad news is I dont know if the D2 or D3 is best for me. I'm ready to buy now but my club doesn't have a white 80 to try. I'm still playing the 909 right now. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Don't know where you're located, is there a TPI (Titleist Performance Institute) center near you? If not, you can send Titleist a request through the "Team Titleist" forum and they will send that specific shaft to your course (assuming they are an authorized Titleist reseller) for you to test and try out...

SRIXON Z Star Diamond

I'm with jmcdonald, tnvolfan and Geohans, I went from the D3 to the D2. After playing the 913 D3 for two seasons I automatically bought the 915 D3 sight unseen when it was released. Well after playing 5-10 rounds with it I was noticing that I was launching it very low and I was using the same exact shaft in both drivers, Oban Devotion. So I went to the PGA superstore to get a club regripped and decided to have a little contest between the 915D3 and the 915D2 while I was waiting. Well that was the most expensive grip I've ever bought. Right now I'm very happy with the launch, spin and distance of the D2.

TM SIM 10.5° OBAN Devotion 06  Flex 05
TM M2 16.5° Fujikura Pro73
Cally Rogue 19° Synergy
PXG  0311P Gen3  4i - GW Modus 120
Vokey SM8  54° 60° Modus 120
Ping CRAZ-E

Fully agree, was D2 in the 913 series and enjoyed it, however once it was time to test the 915 series I switched to the D3. I actually still haven't hit the 915D2. Compared with my 913D2, it's a significant improvement. My natural shot shape which is a mid push draw hasn't changed, but it is a bit easier for me to fade the ball when I need to with the 915D3.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='totally_addicted' timestamp='1423184692' post='10894737']
Well that was the most expensive grip I've ever bought.
[/quote]

Welcome to my world! I did the exact same thing, ordered the 915 D3 sight unseen based on my previous 913 D3. Luckily the shop owner gave me a good enough deal on trade for the 915 D2 to make it less painful...

I can't stress enough for everyone to at least go feel, touch, see and test prior to buying. Experience is a great teacher!

SRIXON Z Star Diamond

+1 for the D3. I used a 910-D2 for a long time and after seeing the yardage a friend gained switching to the SLDR, I got fitted for one and bought it even though I didn't like the feel very much. Tried to play that thing for 2 months before returning it - the ball just never went anywhere for me. Got fitted for a 915 a few weeks ago and assumed I should stick w/ the D2 which I hit OK but not great. Just for fun I tried the D3 and it was much better for me than the D2 - spin rates were much lower and I liked the feel better. My SS is ~100 mph and I picked up a very noticeable 5-10 yds with the 915 over my 910. Even though the D3 is theoretically less forgiving, it still goes a mile on off center hits - my first non-rain round w/ the 915 was last weekend and I averaged 265 off the tee (game golf average for ALL my drives, not just the good ones) which is pretty fantastic for me.

[quote name='tnvolfan' timestamp='1423183115' post='10894479']

I'm missing with my D2 hard left which isn't normally my miss, going to try it in C1 and see if this changes anything before I try a D3 head.
[/quote]

Currently playing mine in the A2 position because I shortened the shaft 1/4" and wanted a little more upright lie angle. Results are really good at the moment. I have ZERO issues with hard left. I am hitting baby draws between 3-5 yards. I can hit baby fades with it as well when needed but my normal shot is a slight draw.

I would try B1 first to flatten out the lie angle and to open the face angle a bit and go from there (assuming you're happy with current launch). After that go to C4, B4 and then finally to C1. Are you hitting it hard left with the 3-wood off the tee?
[/quote]

No, 3 (915F) wood is fine off the tee. Will try a few things......

[quote name='Exist' timestamp='1423442976' post='10913973']
[quote name='tnvolfan' timestamp='1423183115' post='10894479']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, 3 (915F) wood is fine off the tee. Will try a few things......
[/quote]

If the 3 is fine then I would increase the loft and open the face C4 or B4.

Loft helps straighten a lot of things out. Also try choking down about 1/4" and teeing it a touch higher to get your angle of attack more positive...

SRIXON Z Star Diamond